Rose on the Doorstep

Chyna rushed past Ellison and his wagon and headed into the woods, she looked at no one. She just wanted to get as far away from people as possible.

"Cap" Ellison called to him as he checked over Cotton as it was Ellison had sent him to go and get Cotton from the apple barrel. Cap nodded "yep, I got her uncle Ellison" Cap said jogging into the woods after her.

Chyna wiped at her eyes as stray tears fell. She hated how weak she was around Tolbert she hated herself for giving him minor victories. Every time he cut at her pride killed her a bit inside. Her mother had always taught her better than that,to stand proud no matter what. But she couldn't bring herself to, not around him least of ways.

"Chyna!" Cap called after her as he weaved through the trees. He could see her up ahead but she was walking fast, so fast he had to run to catch up. "jesus" He breathed catching his breath as he now walked beside her "what's gotten into you? Don't let that prick get at ya like that" Cap said with a smile, he bent over a bit to see her face as Chyna wiped at her eyes. "I ain't!" she called in defense. "I just..I'm just mad is all, talking about Cot like that" She said Cap nodded "sure, yeah jus' mad" Cap said sparing Chyna her pride. Chyna glanced up at him "don't patronize me master William" she snapped. Cap threw his hands in the air "nope, no. Not doing no such thing" He said quickly.

Cap watched her as she continued to walk deeper into the woods. "were you goin' anyways?" he asked. Chyna finally stopped and looked around. "nowhere" she said with a sigh. Rubbing the back of his neck Cap glanced around as well. "don't suppose you know how to whistle none?" He asked.

Chyna looked up at him skeptically "what would it matter?" She asked. Cap smirked slightly "well I was gon' teach you something" he said. Chyna's eyes sparkled "teach me what?" she asked eagerly. She wasn't allowed by law to be taught anything, the war may have been over, but it was going to be a long time yet before things actually changed. Even so, Chyna loved to learn new things, no matter how simple. Still she had to wonder, what did learning have to do with whistling.

Cap chuckled "don't get to excited it ain't nothing I can get in trouble for" He said, Chyna deflated a bit. "oh well hell" she muttered. Cap laughed a bit more. "it's still useful, if you're gonna be one of us you'll need to learn it" He said. Chyna eyed him slowly "lord, you too?" She asked. Cap raised a brow "well yeah, My Pa went 'round layin' down the law and rules about you since uncle Ellison came waltzing in last night" Cap said. Chyna blushed and rubbed her forehead in frustration. "you're uncles crazier than a betsy bug...and he's going to be the end of me at this rate" Chyna muttered. Cap shook his head and ruffled Chyna's hair, doing it once more just because he liked the feel of it.

"Uncle Ellison isn't crazy, now can you or can't you whistle?" Cap asked.

Chyna glanced off "well, I can if I stick my fingers in my mouth" She said. Cap shook his head "no, You gotta be able to whistle with not but your lips" He said. Chyna crossed her arms "what's this for anyway?" she asked. Cap looked up at the trees and spotted a sparrow flying from branch to branch. "bird calls" he said pointing to it.

Chyna looked up and spotted the small bird. "its a good way to communicate with each other. Hatfields been using animal calls to call out to each other for years" He said. Chyna looked away from the bird and over to Cap. "bird calls?" She questioned. Cap nodded and blew air out through his teeth and out his lips and sucked the air back in flicking air in and out of his mouth through a small gap between his lips he made a chirp-ish whistle. Chyna blinked several times "wow that was almost just like a bird" she said.

Cap smiled with pride "it should, Pa has taught me for years" He said. Chyna looked past him and back towards the election fair. "we should head back" She said. Cap looked over his shoulder back to the sounds of the election and nodded "yeah, s'pose you're right, Uncle Ellison's probably havin' a fit" He said slowly. But he looked as if he had wanted to stay out longer. Chyna watched him. "you can teach me to whistle some other time" She offered. Cap tore his eyes away and looked down at her a smile formed on his face slowly and he nodded. "come on" He said turning around and leading the way back.