The First Night

Cap and Chyna set Jon up at Clint's home, after hearing the story about the shanty, Jon was more than happy to help out Clint while having a place to board

Cap and Chyna set Jon up at Clint's home, after hearing the story about the shanty, Jon was more than happy to help out Clint while having a place to board. Not that he had many options on where to stay in these parts.

Chyna road behind Cap on his horse and Cotton at their side. "So how long will it take you to learn me how to write my name?" She asked with excitement. Even if it was just one word, it was a start, she always liked watching folks write, no matter if it was the straight or curvy kind it looked pretty and she always liked the idea of writing to others.

Cap chuckled "oh that wasn't my plan....not like I could spell it no ways." Cap said. Chyna frowned and thought for a moment "I have a letter with my name on it, Calvin sent it. It-its about Nancy..." Chyna said, her excitement fizzling out fast just at the thought of her. Cap scowled "that heffer..." He muttered. Cotton chuckled at Cap's words "don't be sad Chyna...Cap, you gotta teach her." Cotton pleaded.

"I will...its jus' I gotta better Idea. One thats faster. I mean we gotta figure out if yous is left or right handed and then you gotta learn to write each letter. Might take a while." Cap sighed. "So then, whats your plan?" Chyna asked. "yes what!" Cotton called already excited. Cap laughed "its secret." He said. Cotton sulked "you're no fun." Cotton mummbled, "secret huh? Hell we only got two options..." Chyna sighed.

Cap rested a hand over her hands around his waist and gave them a pat "trust me." He said softly. "E'ry time." Chyna said with a firm nod.

Cap, Chyna and Cotton returned to their home up in the hills. Cotton hurried back to his room to finish exploring. Chyna grabbed a rag and a bucket "this place is dusty." She said to herself looking around, Cap nodded but seemed to be in thought. "I'm gon' head on down to my Pa's place and help move a few more things up to his cabin here in the hills." Cap said.

"I can help out too if you-" Chyna stopped herself as Cap side glanced "well after that I'm headed for Red Jacket, prolly be gone for a while." Cap muttered. He wasn't sure about telling Chyna that his plan required travel, and he really wasn't keen on telling her he had to go alone, but not telling her at all? That wasn't going to go any better.

"So I'll come with you then." Chyna offered quickly. Cap chuckled "you kiddin? You think colored folk is sparce here? Ain't none in Red Jacket no more. Wouldn't be safe for you." Cap said. Chyna ctossed her arms "an' it is for you? Cap everyone in West Virginia proper is lookin for you!" She shot voice raised and glaring.

"I told you, I can handle a few Bushwackers just fine...it'll only be about a day or so and I promise to stay off the roads. It'll be fine." Cap said, he pet the top of her hair carefully and smiled. "It'll be more than worth it, I promise. Just make sure that Jon guy don't leave." He added.

Chyna shut her eyes in frustration, unable to fathom what was going on in Caps head. But whatever he was planning sure seemed far more complicated than just teaching her to write one little word.