Two Came Knocking

Chyna watched over Dawn and Clay as she shoveled down their bowls of stew, Clay on his second bowl already while Dawn couldn't get enough warmed bread and butter

Chyna watched over Dawn and Clay as she shoveled down their bowls of stew, Clay on his second bowl already while Dawn couldn't get enough warmed bread and butter. Chyna blinked away another round of tears as the front door opened. Out of the biting air of the cold autumn afternoon walked in Chastain, Clint holding the cabin door open for her while she removed her coat.

"Chyna!" Chastain called voice cracking, she dropped her coat to the floor and scurried over to where her sister sat. Chyna eased herself out of the chair and was engulfed in long delicate arms. Chastain held her sister tight and cried over her shoulder. "You been told then?" Chyna asked her quietly lightly patting Chastains shoulders. However her question only made the woman sob more, "you'll upset the chil'rn. Here, to the back of the house." Chyna quietly urged shooing her sister along. 

Briefly, Chyna glanced at Clint who watched the two tiny figures silently devouring food with stunned eyes. "We've got him don't worry," Cap whispered into Chyna's ear in passing, heading towards the table with Johnsey close behind. Chyna gave a nod and Cap pressed a light kiss to the bridge of her nose.

"Dawn? Clay?" Clint's voice trembled, his travel satchel dropping to the floor, The two children lifted their heads and glanced over their shoulders. With great big gasps of excitement and then loud sobs they hopped from their chairs and ran for Clint. He stooped down low and opened his arms wide, catching the children as they barreled to him. "Uncle Clint!" Shouted Dawn clinging her tiny arms around his neck, while Clay's arms held right to Clinds shoulder.

They cried in large arms that threatened to never let them go, Clint kissing the top of their heads, Joy and pain had never mixed so deeply. They had survived a miracle that Clint had stopped hoping for. yet, he didn't relish the news he knew had to come swiftly, as it would only hurt them more to find out later.

"Where's mama?" Dawn asked. Clint's body froze and his jaw clenched tight. Cap frowned and drew nearer. He would give them space, but he wanted Clint to know he was there. "Your mom...she ain't....she..." Clint's words tumbled about as water sprung into his eyes. Dawn's grip around his neck tightened as her sobbing stopped. Somehow the quiet from the children was an agony more potent than any wail heard on earth.

"It's ok, uncle Clint." Clay said with sorrowful words, "We knew'd it, we did." Clay said quietly. Clint hid his face behind the kids so they would not see his tears. Cotton entered the home with a grin, "The horses is in the stable all warm and fed!" he cheered hauling in the bag of supplies.

"Good job Cot, go help yourself food's on the table," Cap said forcing a smile. Cotton nodded hurrying past Clint and the children towards the large pot at the center of the table. 

"how'd you two manage to survive the fire?" Clint asked, "we hid, in the ol' well after we got lost from er'y body else." Clay explained, "it was real scary an' dark. A  big spider crawled on my nose but we didn't move none." Dawn said a hint of pride sounding from under her sadness. "It was cold too." Clay added, "but I got dawn down an' back out again, and then that mister over there found us." he added looking back at Johnsey.