Into The Aether

By BlueEyedDoctor

This is book one in my series titled "Roses and Blood" Series list: Book One: Into The Aether ... More

Chapter One: A Warm Summer's Night
Chapter Two: A Strange Night
Chapter Three: Wake Up Call
Chapter Four: Comrades
Chapter Five: Food! Glorious Food!
Chapter Six: Company
Chapter Seven: Too Close For Comfort
Chapter Eight: Revelations
Chapter Nine: Women Are a Strange Breed
Chapter Ten: Conspiracy
Chapter Eleven: Professional Opinion
Chapter Twelve: Demons In Human Flesh
Chapter Thirteen: A Change In POV
Chapter Fourteen: The Shrink
Chapter Fifteen: Allies
Chapter Sixteen: Words Unheard
Chapter Seventeen: Serenity
Chapter Eighteen: Damsel Not In Distress
Chapter Nineteen: Proverbs
A Small Note
Chapter Twenty-One: Redemption
Chapter Twenty-Two: Bargaining For Life
Chapter Twenty-Three: Shared Memories
Chapter Twenty-Four: Two Sides Of The Same Coin
Chapter Twenty-Five: The Pathologist
Chapter Twenty-Six: From Russia With Love
Update
Chapter Twenty-Seven: Flowers Amongst The Decay
Chapter Twenty-Eight: Persian Rose
Chapter Twenty-Nine: The Boy
Chapter Thirty: Uninvited Guest
Chapter Thirty-One: A Surprisingly Welcome Surprise
Chapter Thirty-Two: The Doctor's Lair
Chapter Thirty-Three: What Must Be Done
Chapter Thirty-Four: Alone Together Again
Chapter Thirty-Five: Feelings Laid Bare
Chapter Thirty-Six: The Innkeeper Pt. 1
Chapter Thirty-Seven: The Innkeeper Pt. 2
Chapter Thirty-Eight: Like You
Update
Chapter Thirty-Nine: Cat And Mouse
Book Two???
Book Two Has Arrived! 😭❤
How To Keep in Touch

Chapter Twenty: Reflections

450 23 16
By BlueEyedDoctor

Kiana awoke in her bed. She was surprised at first as to how she had ended up in her bed but quickly realised it was likely Takeo's doing. He really did look out for her. Kiana got up and looked outside; but, strangely, no one was around. The dark winter mornings made it difficult to see much but she felt a pit in her stomach - and a feeling of worry.

She turned to look at the door and, for the first time, she actually wished Richtofen was behind it ready to burst through in his usual manner. She hastily got up and dressed before producing a shearling peacoat from the wardrobe. As Kiana reached out to place her hand on the knob of the door; she felt the weight of dread on her shoulders.

She took a deep breath before quickly turning the knob and opening the door. Again, no one was there. The hallway was blacked out as not a single bulb was lit. Her heart began to beat faster as she quickly unholstered her pistol. She quietly closed the door behind her before making her way to Richtofen's office as it was nearest. As she traversed the dark musty hallway her heart rang through her ears. Gingerly opening the door to the stairwell, Kiana made her way up to the next level.

Once she reached the landing, she pressed her back against the wall and looked around to check the next hallway was clear. She knew she would encounter the undead sooner or later but she prayed she would not have to do it alone. The door let out a small creak as she made her way into the hallway.

Richtofen's office was not far, Kiana reminded herself. She quietly made her way towards the door taking caution at any offices whose doors were left open. Once she reached his door, she pressed an ear against it in a vain attempt to hear if anything was on the other side. Nothing. Kiana took a deep breath as she readied her pistol and opened the door with the other hand. The room was empty.

The heavy atmosphere began to make her feel light-headed as her mind quickly jumped to rash conclusions of being completely alone or abandoned. She quickly regained her composure, entering the room and closing the door behind her. Surely something in the room would indicate what happened - Richtofen rarely left the office. Suddenly, a small figure caught her eye standing in the far corner. The gun clicked as Kiana took aim before advancing to investigate.

"Who's there?!" Kiana said sternly trying to hide any trace of nerves.

The figure stood with its back to her but the long matted black hair conveyed that it was a little girl. Kiana lowered her gun.

"Samantha, is that really you?" Her voice was morose at seeing the child like this.

"Jou learn quick", a shrill female German accent escaped the figure.

Slowly, Samantha turned around to face Kiana.

"Oh, Samantha. I'm so sorry about what happened to you", Kiana cried tearfully.

"Und do jou know who did zhis?!" Samantha screeched before lunging at Kiana who swiftly dodged in time.

"HE DID THIS TO ME", Samantha cried as her voice became deep and demonic.

"I know", Kiana replied dejectedly as she sat down at the desk.

Samantha stopped and cocked her head to the side. She clearly had not expected this kind of response. Samantha turned to Kiana who no longer assumed an offensive stance. The little girl slowly padded over to Kiana before leaning to whisper in her ear.

"I vant him dead", Samantha growled lowly.

Kiana put her head in her hands.

"I know, Samantha", Kiana whispered back.

"He vants to taint jou. He is sick", Samantha replied as if she was aware of Kiana's awkward relationship with him.

"I don't want him, Samantha. I know he's twisted. And I know some people can't be fixed", Kiana said as her voice cracked at the latter.

Samantha laid a hand on her shoulder.

"I have been vatching jou und I know jou are not from zhis vorld. I can help you get back to your own", Samantha bargained.

"But you want me to kill him in return, right?" Kiana interrupted - earning a smirk from Samantha.

"Ja", she said.

Samantha leaned down to whisper in Kiana's ear again.

"It's time to vake up now", she whispered menacingly before everything went black.

Suddely, Kiana awoke back in her bed as a loud commotion could be heard out in the hallway. Then, there was frantic banging on the door which caused her to jump out of the bed and ready her pistol.

"Verdammit, Kiana open zhis door. Right now!" She heard the muffled voice of Richtofen from the other side.

Kiana ran to the door to quickly unlock it before being swept off her feet by a large arm.

"Zhey are here", Richtofen proclaimed said as he carried her quickly down the hall. Kiana looked up at Richtofen's face which was stern and full of determination.

"Who?" she quietly asked.

"Mein patients", Richtofen replied.

His voice was not excited like in the game - it was full of worry.

Takeo and Nikolai were already out in the courtyard killing undead. Nikolai was happily sporting the FnFal as Takeo took down a train of undead with his HK21. When they saw Richtofen emerge they made their way towards him.

"The hellpigs are back!" Nikolai slurred waving his arms.

"It has been too long", Takeo interjected.

"Ve must get to zhe mainframe", Richtofen commanded.

He finally set Kiana on her feet and ordered her to stay close to the group. She readied her pistol as they started to make their way there. As they began walking, a figure jumped down from the level above startling the group.

"Fuck yeah, I've missed killin' freak-sacks!" Dempsey exclaimed happily - absolutely in his element.

Nikolai cheered drunkenly as Takeo shook his head. Richtofen ignored the American and pulled Kiana closer to him as he readied his MP40. The move earned a stern glare from Dempsey.

As they turned the corner, a horde of undead rushed towards them from both pathways. Nikolai and Takeo held off the right path whilst Richtofen and Dempsey carved a path to the left. Suddenly, a zombie's head exploded as Richtofen and Dempsey turned to look at each other. Behind them, Kiana stood holding her pistol as residual smoke escaped the barrel.

"Fuck me", Dempsey said.

"I'd razher not", Richtofen interrupted before they went back to killing undead.

The group advanced with Takeo and Nikolai holding up the rear until they finally made it to the mainframe. Richtofen clipped his gun to his belt before making a beeline to the control panel.

"Hold zhem off vhilst I input zhe coordinates!" Richtofen shouted over the deafening screams of the horde.

Nikolai and Takeo stood at the top of the steps as Kiana and Dempsey took out the undead who were climbing up the sides of the platform.

Suddenly, a flash of light came from the teleporter and the cogs of time wound down almost to a halt. Kiana stopped and looked around at the carnage. Nikolai's face contorted into a deadly grin after taking a sloppy slug of his vodka whilst he fired from the hip. Takeo maintained his ever stoic demeanour as he mowed down a horde by himself. Kiana turned to Dempsey who stood gripping his M16 with gritted teeth as he held up the left flank. And then, she was interrupted by a blinding blue light and the shrill cry of Richtofen.

"Magnificent!" Richtofen exclaimed.

She turned to him as the teleporter finally cooled down allowing the smoke and mist to dissipate. Her heart sank as a familiar face stepped forward. Richtofen was completely entranced as he was confronted with his younger, alternative universe self, Primis. Kiana watched his eyes light up just like they did in the intro of "The Giant" - full of childlike bewilderment. But Kiana knew how it would end.

Primis advanced towards Richtofen -  stalking silently and deadly. Richtofen regained composure before straightening to attention and removing his hat to hold to his chest. Kiana watched as Primis - face awash with hate and disgust - narrowed his eyes.

No, it would end differently this time, she thought.

"Stop!" She yelled at Primis.

He had not even clocked her. The young doctor took a step back clearly off guard as both men turned to look at her.

"Doctor, don't even bother. I know how this goes and it doesn't fix things", she said matter-of-fact.

Trying to be calm and confident.

Richtofen was looking slightly frustrated that Kiana had interrupted his moment, though, unbeknownst to him she had just saved his life. Kiana ignored him and focused her attention on Primis who was standing with narrowed eyes as he sized her up.

"We can't hold them off-- what the fuck?!" Dempsey said.

Clearly startled at the sight of two Richtofens. And just like that, time regained its normal pace. The undead flooded toward them as Takeo and Nikolai retreated closer to the teleporter, awaiting Richtofen's command to jump in. Dempsey grabbed Kiana as they made their way to the teleporter. She quickly reached out a hand to also grab Primis on her way past. They locked eyes as his initial unguarded look of surprise transformed into fierce determination. Richtofen snapped out of his trance and made the order to jump in. Everyone quickly crammed into the teleporter as the air around them began to flicker with electricity.

As the horde approached the teleporter; a bolt of electricity chained through them. Richtofen's wunderwaffe had ended up overloading the teleporter as Kiana expected. Everyone's eyes were suddenly flooded with light which frightened Kiana. She felt panicked by the overload of sights and sounds and instinctively grabbed the nearest person to her. She held onto their arm for dear life not knowing who she was holding.

But it was still comforting nonetheless.

End of part twenty...

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

629 87 18
A woman has fallen into the wrong reality! Start the story... Hey! Build the tension, and off we go. Prepare the feels, get invested and have a good...
109 17 8
It was 2025 and Richtofen's Grand Scheme that led to the earth's zombie apocalypse. In an attempt to hinder his newfound control of the undead, Maxis...
91.5K 3.1K 29
꧁𝚁𝚎𝚜𝚒𝚍𝚎𝚗𝚝 𝙴𝚟𝚒𝚕 𝚅𝚊𝚛𝚒𝚘𝚞𝚜 𝚡 𝚁𝚎𝚊𝚍𝚎𝚛꧂ 𝙰 𝚌𝚑𝚊𝚗𝚌𝚎 𝚎𝚗𝚌𝚘𝚞𝚗𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝚊𝚝 𝚊 𝚓𝚘𝚋 𝚏𝚊𝚒𝚛 𝚝𝚑𝚛𝚞𝚜𝚝𝚜 𝚢𝚘𝚞 𝚒𝚗𝚝𝚘...
29.3K 1.2K 16
"My, my, Your blood is quite...special." The Lady walks around the room. "...I might keep you alive for a little longer~" She says, now with a seduct...