Into The Aether

By BlueEyedDoctor

This is book one in my series titled "Roses and Blood" Series list: Book One: Into The Aether ... More

Chapter One: A Warm Summer's Night
Chapter Two: A Strange Night
Chapter Three: Wake Up Call
Chapter Four: Comrades
Chapter Five: Food! Glorious Food!
Chapter Six: Company
Chapter Seven: Too Close For Comfort
Chapter Eight: Revelations
Chapter Nine: Women Are a Strange Breed
Chapter Ten: Conspiracy
Chapter Eleven: Professional Opinion
Chapter Twelve: Demons In Human Flesh
Chapter Thirteen: A Change In POV
Chapter Fourteen: The Shrink
Chapter Fifteen: Allies
Chapter Sixteen: Words Unheard
Chapter Seventeen: Serenity
Chapter Eighteen: Damsel Not In Distress
Chapter Twenty: Reflections
A Small Note
Chapter Twenty-One: Redemption
Chapter Twenty-Two: Bargaining For Life
Chapter Twenty-Three: Shared Memories
Chapter Twenty-Four: Two Sides Of The Same Coin
Chapter Twenty-Five: The Pathologist
Chapter Twenty-Six: From Russia With Love
Update
Chapter Twenty-Seven: Flowers Amongst The Decay
Chapter Twenty-Eight: Persian Rose
Chapter Twenty-Nine: The Boy
Chapter Thirty: Uninvited Guest
Chapter Thirty-One: A Surprisingly Welcome Surprise
Chapter Thirty-Two: The Doctor's Lair
Chapter Thirty-Three: What Must Be Done
Chapter Thirty-Four: Alone Together Again
Chapter Thirty-Five: Feelings Laid Bare
Chapter Thirty-Six: The Innkeeper Pt. 1
Chapter Thirty-Seven: The Innkeeper Pt. 2
Chapter Thirty-Eight: Like You
Update
Chapter Thirty-Nine: Cat And Mouse
Book Two???
Book Two Has Arrived! 😭❤
How To Keep in Touch

Chapter Nineteen: Proverbs

462 19 5
By BlueEyedDoctor

Kiana sat quietly that evening as she took comfort in Takeo's company. Neither said a word after she told him what happened. He only replied with a proverb: "love and a cough cannot be hidden".

It made Kiana laugh but it also brought back memories of the time-period she had just left behind. A cough was not so innocuous anymore in 2020. She began to think of home as she prayed everyone was okay. As messed up as 2020 was she still wanted to go back - and as soon as possible.

But she had work to do though; here was a valuable opportunity to save the four men that everyone back home had become so fond of. Suddenly, Kiana began to frown as she finally spoke up.

"Who were you referring to when you said that Takeo?" She enquired, causing Takeo to raise his head to look at her.

"With many little strokes, a large tree is felled", he replied before returning to his meditation.

Kiana, enjoyed Takeo's proverbs. They always made her think but this time she was left deciphering who Takeo meant. Was it Dempsey or... Richtofen? She was interruprted from her thoughts by a hiccup from Nikolai who had entered the room. Kiana looked up and gave him a nod, though, Takeo remained unaffected - still fully immersed in his meditation.

"Where is Dempsey?" Nikolai slurred.

"I don't know", Kiana said quietly without making eye contact.

By now it was nightfall and she was due to take watch duty with Dempsey, though, she really could not face it tonight. And sadly she felt relieved Dempsey had not turned up for night watch.

"Meh", Nikolai shrugged before sitting down by the fire.

Takeo remained silent and serene; Kiana stirred and pulled her blanket tighter around her. The crackles and embers soothed Kiana's mind as she watched the fire. There was a gnawing in the pit of her stomach that had been slowly growing throughout the evening. Deep down, Kiana knew exactly who Takeo was referring to. No matter how hard she tried to play dumb.

But how could Richtofen have feelings for her!? He could not have feelings for anyone. Yet, the intensity that hung in the air between them suggested otherwise. His cold piercing eyes cut through her very being whenever she allowed herself to gaze into them. Kiana shivered slightly at the thought but it was enough to alert Takeo as he took notice. He opened one eye and turned to her.

"Another's feelings are not a reflection on you", he whispered.

It was eerie how he could sense her every thought. He could tell when her mind was going a million miles.

"I know", Kiana quietly mustered a response.

Her stomach convulsed at the thought of Richtofen wanting her in any capacity. Whenever she looked at him she thought about his victims; and she would never forgive him for his crimes. Not when the lights of so many lives were so cruelly snuffed out.

"He is not the man he once was and there is much darkness that clouds his mind. But I believe you bring out the human that still dwells within", Takeo interrupted her thoughts.

He always managed to put things so beautifully - no matter how dreadful they were.

"This is the only true way he will be stopped -- once his soul is cleansed", Takeo added.

"That's quite a tall order Takeo", Kiana replied.

She was much more cautious and realistic about the possibility of that ever happening than Takeo. She did not truly believe Richtofen could ever be talked out of it. He was so consumed by his thoughts that it seemed death would be his only way out.

Kiana felt a tear form in the corner of her eye. It hurt to think about it because she still cared about him. But men like him are ever so troubled and no woman - however pure her intentions - can change a man like that. Her mind was a turbulent sea of emotions where conflicted thoughts thrashed about for dominance. And the gnawing in her stomach quickly grew into a void which snaked its way to trouble her heart.

Kiana banished the thoughts to the inner recesses of her mind before they could suffocate and set roots. She gazed into the dancing flames of the fire as ashes wisped amongst the smoke. Her mind became entranced by the performance; and after a few minutes, the hypnotic trance lulled her to sleep. The days action had taken its toll. Takeo got up and walked over to her. Nikolai frowned in confusion before asking Takeo what he was doing.

"Kiana has been given her own quarters by Richtofen", Takeo replied before scooping her up in his arms and taking her to her room.

Nikolai sat alone nursing his vodka bottles as he waited for Takeo to return.

Takeo traversed the sea of gravel as the cold night air whistled past his ears. The moon was particularly bright as it illuminated the grounds and drowned out the weak lights. He breathed a grunt of determination as Kiana began to stir due to the cold. Takeo gently nudged open the doors to the building before they lay still on their hinges once again,  except for the odd creak and groan.

After making his way up the stairwell and through the dilapidated corridor; Takeo opened the door to Kiana's room. He stepped inside and laid her down under the duvet. The light from the hallway shone in the darkened room. Suddenly, a large shadow snaked across the bed and Takeo looked around.

"She fell asleep, there was too much action today", Takeo replied.

The figure stayed silent.

"Love is like the wind, it cannot be seen but felt", Takeo continued, breaking the figure's silence.

"How did jou know?" Richtofen whispered softly.

Takeo bowed his head before remaining silent.

"I shee, it is zhat obvious", Richtofen whispered.

Richtofen took one last look at Kiana before ushering Takeo to his office. Takeo quietly closed Kiana's door before the two men set off. Both remained silent as they climbed the stairs. Once they made it to his office, Richtofen opened the door and Takeo walked in to take a seat at his desk. Richtofen then closed the door behind them and stalked over to his chair.

Takeo sat quietly waiting for Richtofen to speak but instead he unlocked one of the desk drawers and produced a strange device. Takeo was puzzled by it but even more puzzled by the ease in which Richtofen operated it.

"I found zhis device vhen ve found her. It vas laying in her hand vhich I took before she avoke. I have been learning about it each evening zhough it took me a few days to finally unlock zhe device", Richtofen began.

Takeo looked down at the device that Richtofen held in his hand as he took in everything being said.

"Zhey sheem to have zhese devices in her time, 2020. Zhis is vhat zhey use to communicate with one anozher", Richtofen said before earning a wide eyed look of bewilderment from Takeo.

"How is this possible?!" Takeo said, clearly shaken by this.

"I am unsure right now, however, I have learned a lot about her time from zhis device. Zhough, I found somezhing very interesting", Richtofen said before turning the screen towards Takeo.

The device contained pictures of Richtofen and the others which caused Takeo to gasp with shock.

"So we really do exist in Kiana's time", Takeo stated aloud.

Richtofen removed his visor, placing it on the desk before massaging his temples.

"Nein, ve are merely a vork of fiction in her... universe", Richtofen said.

Takeo paused to process the information. He always relied on Richtofen to explain things.

"She is from a universe vhere ve do not necessarily exisht as physical people like ve do here. Ve are part of a story created by people in her universe", Richtofen explained.

"Zhis is how she has zhese pictures of us. She seemed to be a... 'fan' of our... 'story' ", Richtofen said awkwardly.

Takeo remained silent. This was difficult for him to understand. He was not scientifically minded and he was surprised Richtofen had even chosen to explain this to him.

"Zhere is more outshide of our universe, Takeo", Richtofen exclaimed.

End of part nineteen...

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.2K 311 22
When a government-funded project to create supersoldiers goes incredibly wrong, a zombie outbreak unlike any the world has ever seen in books and vid...
109 17 8
It was 2025 and Richtofen's Grand Scheme that led to the earth's zombie apocalypse. In an attempt to hinder his newfound control of the undead, Maxis...
5K 108 29
*completed story* "Lets take a moment and break the ice So my intentions are known See I pity in watching you suffer I know the feeling of feeling o...
618 27 6
The last thing you remember was dying. So why are you here?? In a woman's body you don't know of that somehow looks like you but not. In a place you...