Home is With You / Various On...

By thetaxcollector

You are an immortal magic user, hiding yourself in the shadows of a forest and keeping far from the prying ey... More

Meeting: Law
Meeting: ASL
Meeting: Sanji
Meeting: Vinsmoke
Reunited: Luffy
Reunited: Ace and Sabo

Scenario: Cooking

3.1K 186 28
By thetaxcollector

Your abode had certainly gotten livelier after the arrival of the Vinsmoke siblings.

Despite the electric sparks that arise between the siblings during their relentless bickering and rough play-housing, they were all adamant on rooming together when you given them each the option to pick out a room to reside in.

Perhaps their bonds with one another was closer than you previously thought.

The family of five were quick to accustom themselves to your daily routine. They did well enough to follow the rules you had given them, which were essentially to just respect one another, and take proper care of themselves and their environment.

Interestingly, the Vinsmokes had all given you what appears to be a nickname. Without ever providing you a reason, each of them deemed you as 'Caretaker.' When you first asked them about the estranged title, they only responded with the answer that it felt right to do so.

You pondered if the name was given to you out of obligation or normality, but it was a mystery you resolved to find out later.

After all, you intend to stick with them in the future for as long as possible.

On a side note, Law's reaction to the new additions was amusingly predictable; a mixture of shock, disappointment, and acceptance. You may have to reconcile him with more fish...

Of course, minor mishaps were bound to occur as the house continues to gain new members, but you successfully jumped over every hurdle so far, therefore you saw no reason to stress.

For instance, right now-

Ichiji, Niji, and Yonji are dramatically groveling at your feet for dinner to be served.

I didn't even get the cooking utensils out yet, let alone enter the kitchen.

Reiju, Sanji, and Law remained on the sidelines, the snow leopard already aiming another one of his cold glares towards the three whining boys. Sanji stays behind his sister, his eyes barely visible over her shoulders as he passes worried glances towards you.

Reiju makes the first move.

"Alright you three, let go of Caretaker now. How many times have we been through the same scenario already?"

"1, 2, 3... 9 times!" Sanji insightfully supplies as he steps out from behind Reiju.

Niji's face twists in disbelief, "You've been counting?" Sanji shyly skitters back to his earlier position.

"Alright, up you three go." Those words were the only warning the boys received before you lifted them off the ground. You smoothly glided the thrashing boys straight into the dining room.

You nod your head in the direction of the kitchen, "I will be in the kitchen if you need me. Feel free to join the boys at the dining table."

The sight of you smiling was the last thing they saw before you disappeared into the kitchen.

Law hesitates in his steps to follow you, but ultimately decides to enter the dining room.

As Law passes through the doorway, he shifts his fingers in a practiced motion, eyes glinting with schematic vexation.

Reiju guesses that it must be directed towards the three troublemakers currently in the dining room. 

For now, she decides that it was too trivial of a matter to concern herself with. She redirects her attention to the little boy hugging her arm.

"Let's go to the dining room, too, Sanji," the younger brother stiffens at her suggestion, "i promise you, your brothers already forgot about the whole underwear incident."

Her words were not enough to clear Sanji of his suspicions. Though, he supposes whether he believes his brothers will refrain themselves from teasing him or not will not matter tonight.

Sanji let's go of Reiju's arms, causing her eyes to widen by his actions.

"I'm going to watch Caretaker cook."

Reiju watches as Sanji wanders with light steps into the kitchen. She sighs, but with fond annoyance.

-

While dicing an assortment of vegetables, you sense another presence enter the kitchen. There was a faint creak of wood, a sharp click, and the sound of paper flying.

Your lips curl up in amusement as you felt Sanji's eyes bore into your hands.

No matter what task you were performing, even outside the kitchen, Sanji was constantly fixated by the movement of your hands.

How you wield the knife with confident ease, how you elegantly tie the decorative boxes of your products, how you gently guide them through Reiju's hair to untangle tricky locks-

Sanji was well aware of how essential hands were, as they were the greatest treasure that belongs to a cook. But seeing you work the limbs so effectively, so gracefully, so profoundly, further solidified his initial belief; he solely decided, that the hands were the most important part of our bodies.

And secretly, Sanji adored contact as well; he loved the moments where he got to have his hands be wrapped by your own.

Him witnessing your magical abilities along with your capabilities in the kitchen has led him to only one conclusion, that he had to study and learn how to cook from you.

You were the closest other person outside his family he could get close to and be comfortable with.

You knew exactly when Sanji began this little routine of his, which was the day after the Vinsmoke settled into their new room.

As you were preparing dinner, the boy simply sat on a stray stool beside your form and watched with contentment as you moved around in the kitchen.

You softly greeted him, only aware that he acknowledged you when he noncommittally hummed as a response. The next day, Sanji brought in his notebook, the same one you saw with him when you first encountered him.

A week later, you gifted him a brand new notebook, noticing the rugged cover and creasing papers of his old one. In return, Sanji shown you a smile radiating like unfiltered sunlight.

It was a happy day indeed for you both to cherish.

Occasionally, you could hear confused murmurs and awed whispers along with fleeting scribbles from your side.

In the corner of your mind, an inkling festered; should he really be learning cooking techniques and methods from you?

Though you are no culinary master by any means, you had comfortably acquainted yourself with the basics of the art, enough so that the meals you conjure are reasonably substantial.

But surely that was not enough to validate yourself as a decently-knowledgeable cook who knew the proper maintenance and functionality of a kitchen.

Assigning a teacher to Sanji would be a more plausible route to take if he truly wants to improve his cooking expertise. But he is incredibly reclusive towards others. Introducing him to a stranger would cause unnecessary stress for him and even myself.

The only option I have left is...

"Sanji," the blonde startles at your voice, his fingers halting along the notebook's pages, "do you want to help me prepare the ingredients for dinner?"

The boy's ocean eyes pooled with riveted twinkles, before they were casted over by grey clouds. He resorts to mutely shaking his head side to side.

"Why not?" You were perplexed by his sudden disinterest towards the subject.

"...I don't want to make a mess."

His tone was laced with heaviness- dejection, fear, insecurity.

The only sounds you could hear was the thrumming of the stove, the boiling broth, and the rhythmic cuts from the knife as it sinks into the vegetables.

You speak up once more.

"Well, there's no avoiding you making mistakes," you stated, earning you a distressed expression from Sanji.

"It is your first time in such a setting after all, I assume," you calmly clarified, hoping to ebb away any misleading thoughts from his mind, "attempting new activities will always be a daunting step to take, but if you overcome the self-constructed barrier of judgmental expectations, you will be able to bloom a new standard for yourself, one that you can joyfully take pride in."

The stiffness that wrenched itself into Sanji's shoulders begins to let go at your words.

You lift the cutting board over the pot and carefully slide the sliced carrots into it, watching as the pieces mix in with the rest of the soup's contents.

"What I'm trying to tell you Sanji is... don't be afraid to experiment, and don't let other people, including yourself, dissuade you from pursuing a hobby you take interest in."

A swift finger-snap from you conjures a stepping stool, breaking the dazed trance Sanji had on your words.

"You are neither obligated to satisfy or follow their expectations," you gently took Sanji's hand and guided him down the stool. Then, you lifted his hand to follow your movements, having him stand on the stool you had just procured, "just be happy about what you do. So, let's cook together for our family, yes?"

Sanji beams brighter than when you gifted him the notebook.

-

The process of making dinner was how you pictured it would be when you prompted Sanji to finally have a go to cook firsthand.

It seemed that his observations of you in the kitchen was beneficial, as he was able to cut the mushrooms in fair pieces.

"Ichiji doesn't like eating mushrooms though, Caretaker." Sanji had said while he was dumping them into the pot.

"Let that be your revenge for him continuing to poke fun of your choice of clothing." You grinned sinisterly.

The boy wears an equally menacing smile as he mixes the soup, mindful to not let any of it splash onto him. He sprinkles in seasonings, taste testing the broth often to ensure the quality was maintained. You added your insights as well, and together the both of you were pleased with the final product.

"Caretaker!" You turned around to see Yonji peeking his head around the doorway, "what's taking so- huh? Sanji! You're cooking?"

Sanji almost wobbles off the stool he was standing on if it weren't for you quickly placing your hand against his back to stabilize him.

You look back to Yonji's surprised face and sent him a worried gaze, "are your other brothers demanding for dinner right now?"

"What? Oh, yeah, well they were but... the cat guy kind of shut them up."

Law silenced them? How?

"What did Law to do them?" You ask as you sifted through the cupboard to pull out bowls and utensils. Sanji stands by your side, his hands out ready to carry the dish ware for you to the dining room.

Ah, Sanji, you are too kind of a soul.

You unknowingly curled your lips up in adoration, which Sanji returns to you.

"Hey! Why does Caretaker only smile at Sanji? What about me?" Yonji exclaims, running to your other side and tilting his head up to you.

"If you answer my question, I'll gift you what you want most," you proposed.

"Your smile?"

"Yes, including an extra serving of meat-"

"Law cut off their heads and then he twisted his hands like this," Yonji does the impression with his right hand, "and they teleported to, well, somewhere. Their bodies are still in their chairs though, but they keep squirming around like cockroaches."

Sanji stares at Yonji with mortification.

You stare at Yonji with disbelief.

"Sanji, Yonji, please take the bowls and spoons to the table and have Reiju help set the platter for everyone. I'll carry the soup out later, but right now..."

You swiftly cross the kitchen into the dining room, where Law sat primly in his seat with his fingers crossed like a gentleman.

Sanji and Yonji enter behind you, carrying the bowls and utensils. Both were smiling, one for having the opportunity to try cooking for the first time, and the other at the prospect to indulge himself in delectable meat.

You raised an eyebrow at Law.

Law engages in a blinking contest with you.

Reiju spectated in poorly disguised amusement.

Ichiji and Niji's bodies were immobilized, but their limbs jolted every now and then.

...

Law recedes.

Your gaze was too intense.

He hated feeling guilty when it comes to you.

"Their heads are in the attic."

"Please put them back together, little one."

"I will..."

The unfortunately is left unspoken, but you hear it in his mind.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4K 129 22
This is a modern One Piece AU. ❝𝘏𝘰𝘸 𝘤𝘰𝘮𝘦 𝘐'𝘮 𝘴𝘰 𝘤𝘭𝘰𝘴𝘦, 𝘺𝘦𝘵, 𝘴𝘰 𝘧𝘢𝘳 𝘢𝘸𝘢𝘺 𝘧𝘳𝘰𝘮 𝘩𝘪𝘮? 𝘕𝘰 𝘮𝘢𝘵𝘵𝘦𝘳 𝘩𝘰𝘸 𝘮𝘶𝘤�...
3.4K 111 15
𝑇𝘩𝑒 𝑝𝑟𝑖𝑛𝑐𝑒𝑠𝑠 𝑜𝑓 𝑇𝑎𝑛𝑎𝑡𝑎 𝑇𝑟𝑎𝑓𝑎𝑙𝑔𝑎𝑟 𝐷. 𝑊𝑎𝑡𝑒𝑟 𝐿𝑎𝑤 ✘ ♀ 𝑅𝑒𝑎𝑑𝑒𝑟 Description (Spoiler ahead!): You are a young wom...
535K 15.6K 112
[Name] was a very fragile girl, growing up she had three brothers who treated her like a sister, she didn't like violence or what so ever, she was a...
2.7K 48 5
THIS IS INITIALLY A LONE BOOK FOR MY EUSTASS KID ONESHOT BUT THEN I DECIDED TO COMPILE MY OTHER OLDER ONE-SHOTS IN ONE BOOK. I WON'T CHANGE THE REST...