His Light, Her Darkness

By FoggyCloudyWords

"You are mine!" He roars. "I will do whatever it takes to make you know that. Whether it means I lock you up... More

Chapter 1: The Job
Chapter 2: The Men In Suits
Chapter 3: Chop Off His Head
Chapter 4: The Interview
Chapter 5: First Glance
Chapter 6: The Day Her Fate Was Sealed
Chapter 7: Dinner Disaster
Chapter 8: A Night To Forget
Chapter 9: In The Spotlight
Chapter 10: Bumping Into Him
Chapter 11: Becoming His
Chapter 12: Kidnapped
Chapter 13: A Brief Goodbye
Chapter 14: Shipment Awry
Chapter 15: Lamb In The Lions Den
Chapter 16: A Familiar Face
Chapter 17: The Cellar
Chapter 18: A New Friend?
Chapter 19: This Is How A War Begins
Chapter 20: Apology Denied
Chapter 21: Guilt Only Extends So Far
Chapter 22: Sickness
Chapter 23: Forgiveness Doesn't Come Easy
Chapter 24: A Normal Past
Chapter 25: Looking For The One Who Took Her
Chapter 26: Interrogation
Chapter 27: A Promise
Chapter 28: Under Surveillance
Chapter 29: The Babysitter
Chapter 30: Calm Before The Storm
Chapter 31: The Storm
Chapter 32: The First Threat
Chapter 33: Apple Juice Is Better
Chapter 34: Arrival
Chapter 35: A Warm Welcome
Chapter 36: Settling In
Chapter 37: What Did The Orange Ever Do?
Chapter 38: BINGO!
Chapter 39: Breaking Point
Chapter 40: The Past Resurfaces
Chapter 41: One Too Many Snacks
Chapter 42: Acceptance?
Chapter 43: The Ball
Chapter 44: The Daring Escape Pt. 1
Chapter 45: The Daring Escape Pt. 2
Chapter 46: The Daring Escape Pt. 3
Chapter 47: Reunion
Chapter 48: Safe
Chapter 49: The Rain Has Fallen
Chapter 51: Feels Like Home
Chapter 52: A Misunderstanding
Chapter 53: Finally
Chapter 54: Time To Go Home
Chapter 55: Realisation
Chapter 56: The Beginning Of The End
Chapter 57: When Lies Unravel
Chapter 58: Love
Chapter 59: Per Favore
Chapter 60: Hate
Chapter 61: An Empty Promise
Chapter 62: Before, When Things Weren't So Bad
Chapter 63: Not All's Forgotten
Chapter 64: The Future Only Encompasses Death
Chapter 65: Shattered Soul
Chapter 66: A Relief So Great
Chapter 67: This Is The End
Chapter 68: Happiness
Chapter 69: I Need A Gun
Chapter 70: See You On The Other Side
Chapter 71: The Funeral
Chapter 72: Long Live The Marino Empire
Chapter 73: It's Over
Chapter 74: The End
Epilogue
SEQUEL (Discontinued)

Chapter 50: Terrible Things

276K 8K 7.9K
By FoggyCloudyWords

Mia Jones POV:

Present time...

Scott stops the car in front of an old apartment complex that looks as though it's been through hell and back.

White paint has chipped off of the walls, exposing old and decaying brick, and the fence that surrounds the property has holes every metre or so. I watch a stray cat stumble through a dumpster, looking like it's drunk.

A strange smell of old people mixed with the scent of mouldy milk stains the air, and as we make our way to the front door, the scent only gets stronger.

Do people actually live here?

Surely this isn't where Scott lives.

Digging into his pockets, he pulls out a set of keys which emit a defining sound in the complete silence of the neighbourhood.

Unlocking the door, he opens it and waits until I'm inside before entering. Both of us taking one last weary look outside, I begin to follow Scott further into the building.

Since we had fled Alice's about an hour ago, neither of us had said a single word to each other. I couldn't seem to speak, I felt paralysed, everything was frozen in time, and I couldn't move or speak for at least half of the ride.

We were that close to being caught.

Matteo knew I was there, he knew exactly when and where, otherwise he wouldn't have sent the amount of men that he did. And it's only a matter of time before he arrives back in New York and sets out to get me himself.

Clearly his best friend getting shot hasn't deterred him from me, which means he will go to any lengths to retrieve me once more.

I need to contact Dad as soon as possible.

Scott and I trudge up five flights of stairs, which creak persistently, mimicking the sound of a dying cat. The higher we ascend, the fainter the terrible smell gets until finally it has totally dissipated, when we reach the apartment which I am guessing is Scott's.

Confirming my suspicion, he unlocks the door and lets me inside, then entering himself, and locking the door behind him.

My eyes scan over the decrepit space, worn away by time and use.

It's small, much smaller than my apartment. It looks as though it consists of two rooms, a bedroom and another room which contains a kitchen and lounge room.

I spot an old couch with holes in the fabric, protruding springs. Opposite it, is a TV from the 2000's, in all of its box glory. I'd be surprised if that thing even turned on.

"You live here?" Are my first words in just over an hour.

I turn back to Scott and he shrugs. "Sometimes. It's one of my places where I come when I want to be alone."

"I'm guessing you haven't been here for a while?"

He gives me a small smile. "No, no I haven't." He scans the area, and it looks as though he's been hit with a wave of nostalgia. I think this place has more significance to him than he's letting on, though I don't press any further.

"And we're safe here? Matteo won't be able to find us?"

"No one knows about this place, at least not anymore..."

I nod, and head further inside the small place, dragging my index finger along the back of the couch, collecting a loud of dust.

The only source of light within the apartment, besides the flickering lamp, is the pale moon which shines in subtle light through the one and only window.

Despite being tired, I don't think I'll be able to fall asleep even if I tried. I can still feel the adrenaline coursing through me, and it doesn't feel like It's going to settle anytime soon. If only I knew how to contact Dad, that I could be home within the next half hour. I would be able to be in my own bed, and Matteo won't ever get to lay his hands on me again.

Or his lips.

I take a seat on the couch avoiding anything that might just poke me in the butt. Scott takes a seat beside me, though still keeping his distance. "You sure that you're alright?" He asks, looking at me.

"I don't know." I reply honestly. "I don't know how I'm meant to feel, physically I'm fine, I think... But I'm scared. Terrified even."

I am scared beyond anything, and for the first time in my life, I can't even predict a second ahead of me. Nothing is in my control, and while I escaped Matteo, I'm still in a prison of sorts. I'm still controlled by the thought of him.

I can't trust anyone... Not even myself.

And the one person who I thought could help me, even just in the slightest... Is nowhere to be seen. Where even is Alice? What happened to her? Where did she go?

"It's okay to be scared." Scott says. "As long as you don't let that fear control you. Those who fear have more power than the person who instigates the fear itself. Don't let that fear lead you to do things you'll regret."

There are already many things I've done that I regret. And the worst part is that I don't think they were all because of fear.

I kissed Matteo.

Why did I do that?

"But how? How am I supposed to do that Scott? Fear is the only thing that is motivating me at all... Without it, I never would have been able to leave Matteo." Frustration fills my every pore. Even my fear is Matteo's... Everything I do is because of him, he owns not only my thoughts, but my actions too.

"Let fear motivate you. Just don't let it dictate you."

I sigh and lean further back into the couch. I can feel myself slowing down now. I'm no longer shaking, and I'm finally starting to feel the cold night air. I shiver and Scott seems to notice, reaching for a blanket beside him.

He shuffles towards me and unfolds the blanket, placing it over my body. "Thank you." I whisper.

"You don't need to thank me, it's the least I can do."

I give him a small smile, and place my hand on his. "Thank you." I repeat.

He looks down at my hand, and I notice his eyes widen slightly. He pulls his hand away and abruptly stands. "You should get some sleep." He mumbles. "If you need anything, I'll just be in the bedroom."

"Okay." And with that, he leaves me alone on the couch with nothing but the flickering light to keep me company.

***

I look through the cupboards in the kitchen, for anything that may resemble food, but there is absolutely nothing. I'm starving and haven't had any food since the plane ride from Tokyo to New York, which was nothing but a measly casserole.

Scott wasn't kidding when he said he hadn't been here for a while.

Where has he been staying in the meantime then?

I haven't yet seen him this morning, the bedroom door has been closed and I didn't particularly want to bother him considering that I'm his guest, and he's the one helping me hide from Matteo.

But now it's coming on twelve in the afternoon, and I haven't heard a peep from him. Maybe I should just quickly knock and see if he's awake. We are going to need to get food sooner or later.

I make my way over to the door and give it a slight knock.

No response.

Another knock.

Still nothing.

"Scott?" I call. My hand finds its way to the handle and begins to twist, but just as I do, I hear the front door behind me open.

I turn around, startled, feeling my heart beating rapidly in my chest.

I stare intently at the intruder, before realising it's just Scott.

Right.

"Morning." He chirps.

"Afternoon." I say glumly.

Did he actually leave the apartment and not tell me? I mean, I know that I am relying on his hospitality, but the least he can do is let me know when he's leaving, especially when I'm terrified that some obsessive mafia leader is going to find me.

"Really?" He questions. "I must've lost track of time." He walks in and drops bags of groceries down on the kitchen bench.

"Why didn't you tell me that you were going out?"

"You were fast asleep, I didn't want to wake you."

"You can't just do that!" I whisper-yell.

"Alright," He holds his hands up in mock defeat, "I'll let you know next time."

I huff and relax my shoulders.

"I bought you some pastries, I wasn't sure how hungry you'd be so I thought I'd just get the lot." He takes out a white box from his plastic bag and pushes it towards me.

Without any hesitation I open it, and am instantly hit with the smell of fresh pastries and fruit. Inside the box is an array of danishes, chocolate croissants and muffins. My mouth is watering at the sight.

Snatching a muffin, I greedily take a bite and sigh in delight as it melts in my mouth. I even taste chocolate chips. This is too good.

"Eat as much as you want. You're much too skinny."

I don't answer and continue digging into the muffin.

***

Five days have passed since we narrowly avoided getting caught, and while it's been a painful five days, It's also the happiest I've been in a while.

I do bicker with Scott quite a bit.

It's different getting to know him now, rather than when we were both locked up in the cellar. I've learnt that he rarely takes no for an answer, and has tried more than once to shove brussel sprouts down my throat.

And then there's also when I seem to show him any gratitude or affection at all, he'll suddenly grow distant and cold.

So I have been trying to avoid that, though it's difficult when I'm a naturedly affectionate person. Even around Matteo I couldn't help it.

On our first day together, he had explained to me why he was in Alice's apartment, stating that he had looked into my disappearance and that it had led him to Alice. He said that when he arrived, the door was open and the place was already in a mess, just like when I had found it.

He didn't go into much detail, which of course made me suspicious, but it's been days and i suspect if he were to do anything, he would've already done it.

And besides, if anything does go awry, I still have my cash that I stole from Dante.

"What's on your mind, squid?"

Oh yeah, and there's also the stupid nickname that he has begun calling me. I don't even know how he came up with it.

"Just how I'm so bored." I groan. "I need to get out, there are people I can contact, they can get me out of this mess. I just need to work out how to contact them."

"Staying here is what's best for you. You're safe here." Scott states. I roll my eyes at his words. That's the hundredth time he's said that this week! I can't just live out the rest of my life in this stupid apartment!

I refuse to live in fear.

Reaching for the remote, I turn on the old television, which I discovered earlier this week actually does work. After a few seconds of a hazy grey screen and a strange crackling sound, a channel appears.

"The search for Mia Jones continues. Accused of the murder of Dante Rossi in Osaka, Japan, she has been spotted within JFK in the past week. If anyone has any information regarding her whereabouts, contact the authorities immediately."

I stare gobsmacked at the television.

Murder of Dante Rossi.

Murder.

Oh god. I--I left Dante, and he died... I killed Dante.

Tears begin to well in the corners of my eyes, and a strangled noise comes out of my throat.

I'm a killer.

If I had just stayed behind, if I had made sure he was alright... I could have saved him. But instead I ran. I ran like the selfish person I am. And now I'm hiding.

"Mia. Mia..." I can faintly hear Scott's voice, but I can barely pay attention to anything other than the TV.

Suddenly the screen flicks from the news reporter, to a clip of a familiar man dressed in a familiar suit, surrounded by familiar men. "I am aiding the search for Mia Jones and dedicating my time to make sure that my dearest friend, Dante can rest in peace. There will be a reward for any who know Mia's location, of one-hundred thousand dollars."

I'm sobbing into my hands, and I don't even care that snot is falling down my chin.

I killed Dante. I left him for dead.

"I have to turn myself in." I whisper.

"What? Mia, what are you talking about, you didn't do it, you didn't kill him." Scott tries to reassure, but his words are futile.

"Scott, I left him for dead, that's just as bad as firing the gun!" I scream. "I left him by himself!"

I let loose all the tears, my body shakes violently as I sob into my palms.

"What have I done?"

"You did what you had to, Mia. You told me yourself that he asked you to leave... You respected his wish by doing what he asked you to. If you had stayed behind, you would've died with him."

I look up at Scott. Into his grassy, green eyes. "Do you think he'd forgive me?" I ask.

"Who?"

"Dante?"

"Do not hang on for forgiveness from a man that can no longer provide it." Scott says, and I suddenly realise that my hands are in his. It's the first time since we've got here that he has touched me by his own accord. "Waiting for that forgiveness will break you."

"I'm already broken." I breathe.

Scott pulls me into his chest, his warmth embracing me like the sun.

It feels nice, to be genuinely hugged. To be hugged by a friend.

"Scott?" I whisper into his chest.

"Hmm."

"You said that you have done terrible things before... Did you ever manage to forgive yourself?"

A moment of silence passes before he finally answers.

"Yes." He says, but somehow I don't think he's telling the truth.

The only way I'll be able to forgive myself, is if I face the consequences of my actions.

I have to turn myself in.

-----------------------------------------------------
Hey Guys!!!!!
IT'S CHAPTER 50!!! WOW, IF YOU'VE MADE IT THIS FAR, THANK YOU SO MUCH, I LOVE YOU!!! AND THANK YOU FOR 500K!!! I live to read your guys' comments and you have no idea how much I appreciate you all. Writing this chapter took me in a completely different direction from what I had planned so I hope you guys are ready for a wild ride!
I LOVE YOU ALL
-FoggyCloudyWords

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

129K 3.5K 19
"I am serious," he says. My body tingles like all the times he gets close to me. Jase places a kiss on my cheek and then makes his way down to my nec...
174K 5.8K 20
Loving Alek came easily. Being indifferent to him was the hard part. If I wanted any chance of surviving this breakup, I needed to get my acting ski...
1M 34.1K 34
He posted my half naked picture. He bullied me for years. He caused only havoc. I lost all my friends. Never mind that, I was disowned by my family. ...
35.3K 2.5K 42
people read the book trust me on this one