Mirror of Embers (Book 1)

By Monkeygirl311

Ember Ryvergrave is tired and alone. Her mother is dead, her twin sister doesn't need her, and her best frien... More

a e s t h e t i c s
i n t r o d u c t i o n
p r o l o g u e
o n e
t w o
t h r e e
f o u r
s i x
s e v e n
e i g h t
n i n e
t e n
e l e v e n
t w e l v e
t h i r t e e n
f o u r t e e n
f i f t e e n
s i x t e e n
s e v e n t e e n
e i g h t e e n
n i n e t e e n
t w e n t y
t w e n t y - o n e
t w e n t y - t w o
t w e n t y - t h r e e
t w e n t y - f o u r
t w e n t y - f i v e
t w e n t y - s i x
t w e n t y - s e v e n
t w e n t y - e i g h t
t w e n t y - n i n e
t h i r t y
t h i r t y - o n e
t h i r t y - t w o
t h i r t y - t h r e e
t h i r t y - f o u r
t h i r t y - f i v e
t h i r t y - s i x
t h i r t y - s e v e n
e p i l o g u e
the end of book one!!

f i v e

11.3K 380 1.2K
By Monkeygirl311

Ember

    I SILENTLY CREEP DOWN THE LONG FOYER, CAREFUL TO NOT MAKE ANY NOISE. I open the kitchen door quietly and reach into the large duffel bag I brought and fish out the note I left for Claire. My fingers grasp the folded paper and I pull it out. I stare at it in the dark kitchen, the only light coming through the windows from the street lamps. I can see perfectly fine, I'm pretty sure it's one of my gifts, darkness never seems dark to me. Light tends to make me cringe, Lokas used to tease that I was a vampire, I told him to piss off and stop reading children's stories.

    I place the folded paper on the counter where I sat only a couple of hours ago and creep out of the kitchen. I peer down the foyer and make my way to the stairs, I slowly walk up to them and pause at the landing.

    I don't know what room he's in, shit, I should've asked. We'll waste time with me walking aimlessly looking for his room. I sigh through my nose and walk to the first guest bedroom. Minette has about a dozen guest rooms. She has the master for herself and a room beside it for Claire. The rest of us Bastards tend to spend a lot of time here, we all have our own room. I slowly walk up to the white wooden door and peel it open. It's the only guest room I haven't been in, I really hope he's in there. I creep in and close the door silently behind me.

He's in here, he's on his side facing away from me. His blonde curls are all I can see. He's sprawled out across the king-sized bed.

The room is a replica of every other guest room, a large king-sized bed, white walls with golden flowers on them. The floor is white marble, with hints of gold in it to match the walls. The only thing different about the rooms is the sheets. Minette gets them different colours for each of us. Mine is a pretty maroon colour. Royal's sheets are ice blue. They remind me of my eyes. They could be identical.

There are two bedside tables on either side of the bed and a small lamp sits on both tables. The one closest to Royal's sleeping body has a white alarm clock. A large armoire and dresser are straight across from the bed. The armoire door is slightly ajar, I can see some clothes hung up on hangers. My eyes shift back to Royal.

    I almost gawk at him, for such a piggy eater, he's a quiet sleeper. He looks so utterly peaceful that it scares me. I've never seen someone look this serene before. His massive muscled body is curled up on the side of the bed facing away from me. His blonde locks stand out in the dark room. I tiptoe up to his side, I finally get a good look at his face. His curls are everywhere, I brush them from his eyes. I like him like this. Quiet. The sheets are pulled up to his waist and I gaze at his chest. His chest. Gods, I thought he was muscled before . . . but his chest. It's sculpted to perfection. His chest is golden and toned, I think I may be drooling. I shut my mouth firmly and shake my head.

    Focus Ember.

    Stop getting distracted.

I put a hand on his shoulder and shake him gently. He stirs and rolls onto his back, I shake him again and he groans. I clasp my hand to his mouth to keep him from waking Claire up. His eyes jerk open, I feel two strong hands on my waist, and before I have time to react he flips me onto the bed. He pins me underneath him, if this was anyone else I would've killed them by now . . . but with Royal this close to me I can't even move. His eyes trap me underneath him. They burn as he frantically looks at me. Squinting a bit. Shit. He can't see me.

Suddenly he pulls a knife out of nowhere and angles it to my throat. I don't fight him as he presses it against my bare neck. My mind is swimming with thoughts, I haven't had someone this close to me in a while.

When I get really sad about Lokas I go to bars and find the first man to look at me and have him take me right in the bathroom. Trying to do anything to get my mind to stop thinking about Loke. Royal isn't like the other men I've been with. He's good looking, well, that's an understatement, he's beautiful. But he's different. There is something about him that intrigues me and pisses me off. I can't deny I'm attracted to him. But that's all it is. He's pretty and I could use someone to help me take off the edge.

But I could never ask him for that, he seems like the type to catch feelings, it would also complicate everything.

But I wouldn't do it, because everyone calls him a whore. He may never want to have sex. Just to prove to everyone that he isn't a whore. Even though he shouldn't prove anything to anyone, I understand it.

I gaze into his green eyes. He's breathing heavily and there is a snarl on his face. His blonde curls are in his eyes as he scowls at me. "Royal," I whisper, he presses the knife harder against my throat. "Royal," I say louder this time.

    "Ember?" He removes the knife from my throat but keeps me pinned underneath him. His chest is practically pressed against mine, all of his weight is pressing into me. I keep my mouth shut as I nearly suffocate by the weight of him on top of me. "What're you doing here?" He asks.

    "You and I need to go," I say as calmly as I can, I can feel every muscle in his body loosen as he stares at me. Realizing he's not in danger. "What?" He says a little breathlessly, "Why?"

    "Because," I breathe, "I can use my powers to get them out if it's just you and I." He sighs loudly, he scans me and I stiffen. His eyes rove over my body underneath him, his eyes linger a bit too long on my chest. My face heats and I pray to the gods that he can't see it. Royal seems to realize he's on top of me and rolls to my side. I let out a breath I didn't know I was holding.

He shifts so he can turn on the lamp on the bedside table. Light explodes through the room and I grimace. I pull myself up into a sitting position, I cross my legs underneath me and face him. He props himself up on his elbows and I nearly shudder at him. He's in nothing but his boxers, I avert my eyes as they almost lingered too long on them.   

"We need to go," I say, trying to get my beating heart to calm down.

    He groans and flops back down onto the bed, lustful feelings I have leave my body at his laziness. I scowl at him. "It's three in the morning, Ember."

    "I know, I let you sleep in." I hop off his bed, trying to put some distance between us, he guffaws. "Sleep in-"

    "Yes, now put on some clothes, we need to go."

    He gives me a sleepy smile and it makes my heart flutter. "Am I making you all hot and bothered?" He finishes with a wink.

    "No, but you are repulsing me." He growls at me and scoots off the bed. He curses me to hell under his breath and I bite on my cheek to stop from giggling.

    I try to avert my eyes from Royal as he gets dressed. He practically stomps up to his dresser and pulls out black pants and a white shirt. I turn away and face the wall and he chuckles behind me.

    I stare out the window and onto the dark street, I love walking down the streets of Krasmere at night. It's so beautiful. I guess I won't be doing that for a while. Lodashine is far from Marelli.

    "You can turn around now," He tells me, I slowly turn and paste a scowl on my face, he's bent down tying his boots. He looks up to me and laughs at the scowl on my face. He straightens and walks over to the armoire and grabs his black cloak and jacket. He hauls them on and stares at me, waiting. I go over to the lamp he turned on and switch it off. He curses, I walk to the door and hear him stumble around. I laugh to myself, forgetting I'm the only one who can see. I walk over to his stumbling form and grab his hand. He stiffens for a moment before gripping my hand firmly in his. I guide us through the dark room and out to the hall. We walk down the narrow hallway, Royal's boots slide a bit on the long rug. Two doors down from Royal's room is the weapons room. I carefully open the door and pull Royal through with me. Royal closes the door behind us and goes for the light, I pull on his hand to follow me but he stands firmly in place. I turn to him, he's searching for my face. "What?" I whisper.

    "I can't see," he hisses, I laugh quietly, "Well, I can. You'll have me to protect you, princess."

    He gasps dramatically, "Princess-"

    "I'll guide us. We can't risk turning any lights on and wake Claire." I whisper, "How can you see?" He asks me. I tug him across the room to the far corner where the knives and swords are. They lay on the wooden rack, the Moonlight from the window reflecting across the metal weapons.

I can still feel him pushing against my mind, asking to talk, but I don't allow him in. It's another one of my gifts, I can make bonds with people and animals, I can reach through their minds and connect ourselves together. I can call them and they can call me.

Royal squeezes my hand, waiting for an answer. Finally, we go over to the massive weapons rack and I sigh contently. I let go of Royal's hand and grab three knives, I slip two into each of my black boots, the last one I attach at my hip. "One of my gifts," I whisper, finally answering his question. He stumbles to the wall and braces himself on it. His hands out in front of him. I can't hide my laugh. He snarls at me. He turns and leans his back against the pretty, white, wall. "You have the ability to see in the dark?"

"Darkness has always been normal to me," I shrug.

"I think it has to do with the Moon, Luan is said to be dark and cold, he must be able to see in the dark if he is the definition of the dark. Don't you think?" Royal's quiet, I almost pray to the gods for this miraculous moment for finally shutting up Royal O'Dea, but to my dismay, he's only considering my words.

I grab a short sword and attach it next to my long sword at my hip-Nightingale-and adjust to the weight of it. I turn to Royal and incline my head.

"What's your weapon of choice?" I ask quietly, "I'll take the two kindjals and the bow." I silently pick them up with an acquired gracefulness, I hand him the kindjals and he holds them with an equal gracefulness. I almost snort at it. The boy who eats like a pig can hold a weapon like a trained warrior. Maybe I'll finally learn why exactly Minette sent Royal instead of one of the other Bastards I know and can tolerate.

I hand him the bow last, I turn back around and grab the quiver full of arrows, he slings it over his jacket and it sits on the top of his shoulder. I adjust my weapons belt and secure it in place. I look up and he's doing the same. I tighten the belt on my slim hips and adjust to the weight of new weapons. Nightingale I've gotten used to, I've had it since I was 12, it used to be my father's. I found it one year visiting Mama's cottage. It was locked underneath one of the wooden floorboards. I had only noticed it because Brutus' massive paw broke through the rotten wood.

I've never been able to part with it.

It lets me feel like he's with me. I never got to meet him, but I like to believe he would've been a kind and loving father to Faune and me. I try to do him right with this sword, show him who wields it. It may be silly, but it's the only thing I have that belongs to him. I cherish this sword.

    "Hurry up," I hiss, Royal mimics me without speaking and I slap his chest. "I told you I can see, asshole."

    Royal curses me again under his breath, it's my turn to roll my eyes. I watch as Royal finishes adjusting his bow and quiver. I focus on his shoulders. They're massive and muscled, they flex underneath his white shirt. I push away the thought of him shirtless and scowl at my traitorous mind as the images come flying back to me. Thank the gods he can't see my face, I think I'm pink all over. For someone raised in a noble house, he sure as hell doesn't look like one. For one. He's gargantuan. He looks like a warrior. He definitely suits the part of one of Minette's Bastards, but not his personality, that's for sure. He's arrogant and cocky as hell. All of us are quiet and controlled. Have I mentioned how loud Royal is? The man doesn't shut up. I pity the fool who gets shackled to him for life. No, I pray to Luan himself, for anyone to get stuck with him.

    Shit.

    I'm the fucking fool.

    This should be one fun trip.

    "Ember?" I snap out of my trance, I'm practically drooling over his beauty. I school my features to only realize he can't see me. Instead of responding I grab his hand again and tug him out of the weapons room. He keeps tripping over things and making noise. I stop us abruptly and whirl on him. Gods I wish he wasn't so stupid. He searches for my face, eyes scrunching. I grab his face furiously and he stiffens at my touch. I close my eyes and focus. He tries prying my hands away but I snarl at him and hold his head firmly. I dig my nails into his scalp for emphasis. He stops fighting me. I search through my soul for the blackness crawling through it. Looking for anything bright to light his way. I see a patch of starlight and latch onto it. I push it down my arms and up to my hands. Royal gasps and I dig my nails in harder. He curses and finally shuts his mouth. I continue pushing the starlight down my hands and into my fingertips, where they meet Royal. I push with all my might. Royal stumbles to the floor and out of my reach. I curse at all the noise he's made and go to help him up. I reach my hand down to him and he tentatively takes it. He stands up and looks around frantically. He rubs his eyes with the heel of his palm and spins through the room. "How'd you do that?" He breathes.

    "Your welcome,"

    "How can I see-"

    "I'll explain after we're out of the house." I take off not waiting for him to follow. I blasted the starlight through his mind, making it so he can finally see. I wasn't even sure if I could actually do that, I was taking a gamble. I thank Luan profusely for allowing me to do that. I creep out into the hallway, the door creaks open and I freeze. The white hallway is silent, the only light is coming from the window but it doesn't matter because we both can see now. I glance down the hall to where Claire's room is. I strain to hear for her deep breathing. I can't hear a thing. This could be either good or bad. But worst case, I turn Royal and me into shadows.

Royal peeks his head out from over the top of mine, his hair brushes up against my neck and I fight the shiver creeping up on me.

    I decide it's fine to leave and we creep out. We hastily but quietly walk down the hall and towards the stairs. Passing Royal's open bedroom in the process. We take the stairs by twos and practically run out of the house. We scurry through the foyer and Royal trips on the red rug, I grip his elbow and haul him out of the house.

    We fly out and lock the front door behind us. I'm still gripping his elbow as we walk away from the house and onto the sidewalk. I glance back up at the white townhouse and frown.

    I'll be gone awhile,

I'll miss Claire.

    I turn away and stare forward. The street is quiet, the only sounds are of the morning birds saying good morning to everyone. Royal jerks his arm out of my hold. I whip to him, a scowl is pasted on his face. "Talk," He hisses, I bristle at his tone and anxiously look around the street for any onlookers. "I blasted starlight through your eyes," I snarl quietly, he exhales through his mouth. I cross my arms over my chest and stare ahead.

    "How?"

    "I'm not sure, to be honest," I admit, I really didn't know what I was doing. I took a leap of faith, and I landed perfectly.

My powers have always been like that with me, they're so untamed. They can be crazy powerful at times, and I don't know how to control them. I've had to keep them locked up for so long, I haven't been able to explore them in length. I know how to summon my wolves easily, but everything else is a mystery to me. Reighla helped Faune and I learn how to hide them and keep them at bay, but she refused to teach us anything about our powers.

    "Was that what you intended to do?" He asks me, I scrunch my brows together, he rolls his eyes at my confusion. "When you grabbed my head, was that what you were trying to do? Specifically? When you physically assaulted me," I open my mouth to bark a protest but he keeps talking, "was blasting starlight through my eyes your intention?"

    "No, I wanted to make you see in the dark. I had no clue I was able to blast starlight through you." Royal runs a hand through his messed up curls. He tugs on it a bit and then drops his hand to his side. He looks at me and starts laughing. Properly laughing. I stare at him incredulously which seems to make him laugh harder. His face looks gentle and kind when he laughs. It's a deep laugh, that sounds like it comes from deep within him. All worry and stress leave his face. It truly is remarkable how laughter can change one's soul and change them into another person.

    I smile at his happy face and continue walking down the quiet street.

 Shann 

    I flatten myself on the grass behind the bush in front of Headquarters. I watch as Ember and Royal leave walking down the street.

They're leaving.

Ember's taking Royal to go and get Minette and Eden.

I've known Ember for a long time, I know she's doing this specifically because Faune is coming. She doesn't want to endanger her and the rest of us.

For someone who looks so cold, she has the warmest heart.

I also know because it's exactly what I would do. I hate that Irina got pulled into all of this. She was never supposed to become a Bastard, it was me who got caught stealing. Irina signed up to become Minette's Tactician. I was devastated.

I know Irina did it to help and help take time off my sentence from being one of Minette's Bastards, but it still broke me. I'm her older brother, I was supposed to protect her, but instead, I put her in danger.

I know where Ember is coming from.

We'd do anything to protect our sisters.

That's exactly why I follow them down the street and trail them to where they're taking off to.

Irina wants Eden safe, but that doesn't mean she has to be the one to retrieve her. I can get Eden safely with them and bring her home to Rina, she'll curse me to hell about leaving without a note but she'll be grateful that I brought Eden back to her.

So I follow them, to gods knows where.

I'm confused as to why she brought Royal along with her, instead of me.

Well, Ember and I have never been close, but I respect her the most out of all the Bastards. Ember and I are very similar.

The only one Ember talks to is Lokas. That fucking asshole. I hate him with everything in me. He's a cocky bastard. He's been in love with Faune since Ember joined the Band, but he's never once seen that Ember is in love with him. That's what that fight was about today, not Faune and Lokas. Ember and Lokas. And how he doesn't know.

I've watched Ember grow sadder and sadder over the years over him.

I've always wanted to reach out . . . I just don't know-how. And I don't think she knows how to either. I've watched that girl pine over him since she was thirteen. And no one knows. She hasn't told a soul. I know because it's exactly what I'd do. That's why I respect her, she's known her best friend was in love with her sister and never got in the way.

She's broken herself into a million pieces just to make them happy.

I stalk from tree to tree hiding and keeping to the shadows, the only light guiding me are the dim street lamps. I watch from a distance and make sure I'm far enough away so they can't see me, but close enough so I can see them.

There's a reason why I'm Minette's spy, I'm damn good at hiding. It shocked me the day she found me. I was stealing some jewels off a vendor to pawn. Rina and I needed food. She came out of nowhere and forced me into this godsforsaken deal.

When I finally end my sentence, I will come back and rip her limb from limb. I hate that fucking bitch.

I pray the day I do get to kill Minette, that Ember is by my side. The darkness that lives inside that girl is feral. Ember and I have a pretty big score to settle with Minette, and I'd be honored to have Ember help me rip her throat out. It brings a smile to my face.

Ember

I finally let the Moon in. He growls at me as I lower my shields. How dare you lock me out. How dare you shut me out Ember Ryvergrave. The Moon practically spits my name as if it's poison. I huff a sigh out loud and Royal glances over at me confused. I mumble a sorry and kick a pebble on the concrete sidewalk.

Royal finished his laughing fit and pressed me for questions, I told him the bare minimum and he got pissy. I told him to fuck off and we've been quiet ever since.

I glance up at the Moon and scowl, I had to leave her behind, she would've been in danger. I didn't need you reprimanding me all night about my choice. I still don't. He scoffs at my threat, I was giving you advice, trying to advise and help you Ember. You two aren't to part with one another! Can't you understand that? He asks, I look away and frown.

I've been away before, what makes this time so special? He sighs softly, This time you will be away for longer, this time is different. My head shoots up to the Moon, Royal must catch the movement because he inquires me what's wrong. "Nothing . . ." I say trailing off, Royal continues staring at me as I narrow my eyes at the Moon. Why is this time different? If the Moon could stiffen that's exactly what he just did. I wasn't- He stops abruptly. I can feel his panic. It sends shivers down my spine. You're being followed, put your shields up. Now. And with that, he leaves.

I straighten my spine and scan my surroundings, I focus on my breathing and crawl into that abyss of power that sits at my core. I feel it curl around me as I tell it to help me. It responds immediately. My senses are heightened.

I can hear them.

Whoever is following us.

They're hiding among the trees.

I scan the empty town streets and spot an alleyway between a pub and jeweler. I link my arm with Royal's and he shoots me a glance. I grab hold onto more of my power as I tap into his mind. Creating a Calling.

I need you to be very calm. Royal's muscles tighten as I speak in his mind. Someone is following us, we need to go into the alley and corner them. I'll summon my wolves. Royal relaxes a bit and links our arms together and smiles at me. How do you know someone is following us? He asks and seems shocked as he hears it through his own mind. I can sense his presence in the shadows.

He scoffs in my head, Of course, you can, when we finally get a moment of privacy you are going to tell me every little thing you can do- I cut him off by closing the Calling. He shoots his head to me, baffled. I ignore him and steer us into the empty alley. It reeks of booze, I shove us into a corner and Royal cages me with his body. I scowl up at him. I was supposed to do that. Instead, I use my heightened senses to listen for whoever is coming. I can hear their light and secret footsteps. I call out in my mind and Gatsby, Rora, and Brutus are by my side in an instant. Gatsby growls something to Rora and Brutus and they take off sprinting.

Royal's gargantuan body blocks out my view on whoever is pursuing us. Some colourful curses come to my mind, but leave when I finally glance at his face. He's staring down at me, his green eyes burning in the dark alley. His hands are on the wall that connects to the pub. His hands are above my head. His face is a couple of inches from mine as he stares at me. He leans a little closer and my heart skips a beat. He's so close to me, I can smell his cologne, it smells of rain and cedar.

I raise my chin up to him and stare deeply at his beautiful face. I almost forget everything as he leans a bit closer in, but am snapped out of it when I hear growling. Royal jumps away from me and pulls out his bow and nocks an arrow back. I pull Nightingale out from my hip. Royal looks at me, waiting, I give him a terse nod and spring forward. Royal and I hurtle out from the corner and round the corner onto the dim street that leads to the road.

A tall man in a cloak is throwing knives at my wolves. Gatsby is in the front and Rora and Brutus are flanking him. I can't see the man's face from underneath his cloak, but I can see his throat. It bobs as my wolves inch closer to him.

I close my eyes and imagine mist and shadows surrounding me. Encasing me in their darkness. Becoming darkness. A saccharine smile tugs at my lips as I disappear. Royal swears profusely but doesn't take his eyes off of the man in front of my wolves.

I stare at my hands, or where they used to be. Nightingale is still in my hand but it is hidden within the shadows as well. I sway it from side to side before springing forward. I dart around my wolves and to the man's backside. He's at least 6'3, but I'm still able to reach for his cloak. I yank him back using the same maneuver I used on Royal today. My nails dig into his cloak as he stumbles back into me and I use it to my advantage to press Nightingale against his throat. My dagger would've been better but it's too late for that.

The man stills against me. He shoots his head around looking for me, he looks from left to right frantically. I press Nightingale harder against his throat and he stops. I look over his shoulder to see Royal beside my wolves with an arrow nocked back in his bow, waiting for orders. I smile even though I know he can't see me. Gatsby is standing beside Royal snarling at the man I am now holding. Gatsby comes up to Royal's chest but he doesn't look concerned as my wolf seethes beside him.

"Drop your weapons."

He drops them to the floor, his knives echo throughout the alley as metal meets concrete.

"Who are you?" I hiss, he stands perfectly still up against me. He doesn't say a word and Gatsby growls at him and inches closer, silver teeth glinting in the dim alley. Our pursuer remains stiff as a board. I grab his wrist and twist it and throw him to the ground. He goes down with a snarl on his lips. He lies with his back on the concrete. I yank back his hood and swear.

"Shann?" I take off my shield of shadows. His eyes go wide as he watches me turn back into flesh and bone. His thick black hair is stuck to his brown forehead which is beaded with sweat. His brown eyes are full of curiosity, but I have no time to answer his questions.

I remove Nightingale from his throat and stand up from the ground. I dust off my pants and offer him a hand up. He grasps my hand and I haul him up. He goes to pick up his knives but I kick them away. He swivels his head to me.

"What are you doing here?"

"I saw you two sneak out of Minette's."

"So you followed us?" I ask incredulously, he crosses his arms over his chest and glowers at me. "Of course I did," He walks over to the knife I kicked away and retrieves it. Royal is at my side, I blink at him, not realizing he was there. "I know you're leaving to go and get Minette and Eden on your own." This time it's my turn to glower at him. He bends down to pick up his final knife, he tucks it inside his boot and walks up to us.

"I'm confused as to why you took this asshat with you though." Royal pulls back his lips to snarl.

"How long have you been a Moon-Bound?"

Shit shit shit shit

Another person knowing about my gods damned powers. "Since I was born." I raise my chin and stare him down. He looks me over with an utter calm that scares the living hell out of me. "Why didn't you tell us?" Shann pulls his hood back over his head and steps closer to us, Gatsby is immediately in front of me. His massive body guarding me from Shann.

Shann doesn't back down, he stares Gatsby down.

Fool.

Gatsby flashes his silver canines at Shann and leans back on his hind legs. He's going to leap.

"Gatsby," I jerk my chin and he dissipates from in front of me and is back beside Brutus and Rora.

Ember, he warns.

No.

He growls at me and I pull my teeth back and glare at him. He averts his eyes and focuses on Shann, who is staring wide-eyed at us. So is Royal.

"You were just talking to him, weren't you. Like how you talked to me earlier, through my mind." Shann whips his head to Royal, he's staring at him as if he's delusional, but he's not. He's smart. Too smart, he's putting things together. Figuring me out. I don't like it.

My shoulders raise in a lazy shrug, schooling myself into nonchalance. "It's called the Calling, I can bind my mind and another's together. I create a bond that binds our minds together until I choose to break it."

"But how does it work?"

I sigh, "Think of it as me shouting across your mind, you can choose to respond or not, but once you do, it creates the bond. With it, you can call out to me and I to you. However far away we are, we can still communicate with one another."

Both men stare at me. Royal puts the arrow back in his quiver slung across his shoulder and then proceeds to drape his bow on his back. Shann shakes his head in disbelief, but Royal . . . He stares at me with wonder in his eyes. As if I am the brightest shining star he has ever laid his eyes upon.

"What do we do now?" Royal asks without breaking eye contact.

"Now," I breathe, "We continue, but with Shann." My head swivels to him, his face is in its calm setting again as he stares at me. His eyes narrow. "Well, I'm assuming you were following us because you wanted to come along and not because you were going to miss Royal's good looks." Shann sputters, taken aback. I glance to my side to see Royal grinning from ear to ear. "You think I'm good looking?"

I scoff and turn away from him, Shann is beet red. "We need to go, there's someone I need to talk to before we head for Lodashine.

I scan the alley looking for any onlookers, Shann seems to be doing the same thing, his gaze settles on my wolves. I jerk my chin and they evaporate. He blinks. The only disbelief he'll let show. I yank my hood back on my head and motion for Royal to do the same.

"Where are we going?" He asks, I debate whether or not I should tell them who she is. Who she is to Faune and me, and settle on not telling them.

"A friend's."

Royal narrows his eyes at me, waiting for my explanation, but I don't give one. I walk away from both of them not waiting for them to follow because I know they will. I feel their presence beside me before I fully see them. They walk beside me in silence.

I steel my nerves and prepare myself for the verbal lashing I will get for waking Reighla so early in the morning.

A/N: Sorry, this chapter was longer than usual, I'll try to make the next one shorter!

-Meg

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

249K 9.1K 32
cover by weirdpurplepanda (Book 6 in the Mafia Series) There was only one time in the life of Brad Thorpe when he could say he fell in love. Unfortun...
639K 13.3K 19
**UNDER EDITING ** Lily is the badgirl in school but as she was expelled from her school in England, her Dad got a job promotion and had to move to C...
682K 49K 42
In which two insomniacs find connection through their unslept nights. All rights reserved Β© 2016 LeiLani Lopez [Cover by @lets-defeat-the-huns ] {Hi...
79.7K 4.1K 85
"A thank you would be nice, you know?", his hooded figure approached me with a smirk. "Never", I hissed. "But I saved your life", he kept coming clos...