Bluejay: The Protégé of Black...

By supergirl501

A Young Justice and Dick Grayson fanfic. The accident left Jackie Hamilton's life in shambles, leaving her w... More

Intro
Author's note
The Warehouse
The Shipment
Escaping the Harbor
The Diner
The Nest
Training
Interesting Opportunities
The Suit
Meeting the Team
The Desert
Boy Wonder
Meeting the Team... again
Not a Noodle
Dinner Date
Gotham Academy
Intruders
The Androids
Tornado
I'm a Lobster
Construction
The Injustice League
Plants
The Swamp
I like Purple Tea
Zatana Zatara
The Android Family
Ivo's Lair
The Invitation
The Nightmare
Coffee and Books
Therapy
Metropolis Mall
Flashback
Tibias and Fruit Snacks
Investigating Dr. Linh
Halloween Horrors
The Boy Wonder can Dance?
Metagenes
News and Math Notes
Ramen and Cap'n Crunch
Missing
The Rescue
Pancakes, Jealousy, and Crackers
Bonus chapter
Truth
Threats and Pretty Dresses
Haly's Circus
The Gala
The Manor
Candelabras and Chandeliers
The Bird's Secret
Wally: The Certified Love Doctor
Birds on a Roof
Rocket
The Plan
Santa Prisca
Jumanj Style
The Nightmare before Christmas
The Bio-Chip
The Evil Lair
The Watchtower
Curo-Tech
Mission: Linh
Labcoats and Saltwater
The Floods
Bird's eye view
The Invasion (Dick's POV)

Gotham City Hospital

2.5K 89 21
By supergirl501

I hadn't moved from my spot on the floor until the sun had began filtering through the windows. Sunlight meant safety. But it also meant there were less places to hide.

Within a few minutes I was up and ready to go. I checked the tight wrapping around my leg, before taking Advil to help the throbbing pain. I rolled up my sleeping bag and put it on the shelf in the closet, and then piled everything up all my supplies and shoved them back in the cabinet. I did another sweep of the apartment before I decided it was time to leave.

I unlocked the window with my gun in hand, and made a sweep of the area with my finger poised on the trigger. My ears strained for any sounds. I finally stepped out of my apartment and closed the window behind me.

Before I left, I used a paper towel soaked with bleach to wipe away any flecks of blood I'd left on the fire escape. No one could know I'd been here. I tucked my gun in my waistband and made sure the straps of my backpack were tight against my body. Okay. I had to move fast now.

I carefully lowered myself off the dumpster edge using my hands and my good leg. I tried to set myself gently on the ground, but a shock of pain still ran up my leg. I crept to the edge of the alley and peered over the corner. The steady city traffic played out in front of my eyes, much like it always had every day like nothing had happened.

I took heavy breaths in an effort to calm myself. In, and out. In, and out.

I merged with the flowing traffic, and just like that I was on my way to the hospital. The burning pain from this morning returned and erupted like fire on my calf. I bit the inside of my cheek to keep from crying out. I couldn't draw attention to myself. No doubt Bruno was still looking for me. The only thing I could do was to stay low and hope I made it to George before Bruno found me.

The sun began to peak between the many skyscrapers of the city, the warm beams filtering through the polluted air. The tallest skyscraper in Gotham City, Wayne Enterprises, stretched a long shadow down the entire length of the street for as long as I could see it. I exhaled and checked my watch.

Okay. You can do this. Loosen your shoulders! Relax your hands! Walk slower! Breathe evenly! The merciless critique in my head did little to help me appear more at ease, but I tried to listen to my instincts.

This morning, I had ditched the black get-up and went with some casual clothes. I wore one of my dad's faded baseball caps over my head and left my sandy blonde hair down to cover my face. I tried to look as inconspicuous as possible, and kept myself in the middle of the flowing crowd.

But I guess it wasn't that hard to blend in. Gotham was one of the sketchiest cities, like ever. To someone who had grown up here, I probably looked like no one of consequence. My finger tapped nervously against my thigh and I tried to appear relaxed. I wasn't the only one who could read body language. I didn't want to give anything away, or hint to anyone that I was anxious.

I silently kept track of the steady rhythm of footsteps around me. I listened for irregularities, or any new pairs of footsteps that joined the symphony I was trying to pick apart. My grip tightened on the backpack straps I was clenching. Occasionally I'd check behind my shoulder and scan for recognizable faces- but not too often. I noticed every shift in a person's rhythm, or every brief glance someone sent my way. My knuckles were white. I noticed this and forced myself to loosen my hold.

A man walking next to me accidentally bumped my shoulder, and my heart leapt in my throat. I jumped away and my hand instantly closed around the handle of my gun in my waistband. Without noticing my reaction, he gave me a muttered apology, checked his watch, and hurried on.

I swallowed the painful lump in my throat and reluctantly forced myself to release my hold on the gun. I took a cautious look around and adjusted my hat. The sweatband of the cap I was wearing began to stick uncomfortably to my sweaty forehead.

Within the best few minutes, Gotham City Hospital soon came into view. It was an older model, with identical square windows lining up in rows across the upper levels. A pair of trees flanked the main entrance, with a little garden of flowers next to them. By the time I made it to the building, my hands were shaking still. I didn't know if anyone was watching me, but I hurried inside.

Lights. Camera. Action.

I strolled through the automatic doors with an easy expression plastered to my face. I did my best to hide my limp, as well as the gun I'd hidden in my waistband. I was instantly hit with the sour smell of sterilized air and the sight of nurses in colored scrubs.

People bustled around the waxy linoleum floor, hardly giving me a second glance. A few people sat scattered around in the lobby in these plastic, patterned polyester seats. One woman was anxiously chewing on her nails, while another man was wringing his hands. I tore my gaze from them and continued onward.

I passed the lobby, and approached the front desk. Sitting in front of a computer was a blonde woman wearing pink scrubs, with a pen in her messy bun. The identification card clipped to her lanyard read; Candace, with a couple butterfly stickers decorating the plastic sleeve. A clay pot filled with beans on the desk held a bouquet of plastic flower pens. It took a moment for the receptionist to recognize me, but when she did, a wide smile spread across her face, her eyes crinkling at the corners.

"Jackie!" Candace beamed. I almost melted with relief to see a familiar face.

"Hi, Candace." I fought to keep my voice even.

I forced myself to smile back, keeping my head ducked to try and keep her from noticing the blue bruise on my hairline, but there was no hiding my split lip. Candace stood up, resting a hand over her swollen, extremely pregnant stomach.

"Oh, you don't need to get up!" I quickly said.

"Nonsense! I want to hug you." She waved her hand and circled around the desk.

When she reached me, she enveloped me a bear hug. It wasn't really the most professional thing, but I'd become friends with the receptionist during my time in the hospital. Candace was about the friendliest lady I'd ever met. After we pulled away, her hand immediately cupped my face.

"Jackie! What happened to your lip?!" She exclaimed immediately.

"I tripped the other day." I shrugged. "It's all good. How are you? How's the baby?" I asked her.

Candace beamed, resting her hands over her stomach.

"We're doing great! His due date is next month!"

Her smile was so contagious, I could help but grin back. If anyone deserved to be happy, it was Candace.

"That's fantastic!" I said.

Candace gave me a saddened look. "I've missed you, Jackie. How've you been?" She asked.

I kept my weight off my injured leg, leaning against the desk to keep from falling over.

"I'm fine." I lied through my teeth. I lead her back to her seat, which she sank into carefully, gripping the armrests. I quickly tried to turn the attention away from myself. "Uh, how have things been around here?"

She sighed a little, her gaze returning to the people in the polyester chairs. She fiddled anxiously with a flower pen.

"It's been pretty busy around here with what happened last night and all." She waved her hand around.

I looked back to the nervous people awaiting in the lobby and my stomach plummeted. The Intergang. I gripped the counter.

"Were there any fatalities?" I sputtered impulsively.

"Oh no, sugar." Candace waved her hand, ignoring my outburst. "A few injuries, but nothing too major. Batman showed up not long after and took care of things until the police arrived. And good thing when they did!"

A knot of tension melted inside me. "Yeah," I swallowed. "Really good..."

My mind went into overdrive. They didn't hurt civilians because they were busy tracking down someone else. They're still looking for you. No doubt the police hadn't caught them all. I tried to fight down my rising panic. The quicker I could get to Dr. Linh, the quicker I could leave.

Candace lowered her voice and leaned forward. "Are you here to see your father?" She asked.

I nodded. She bit her lip.

"I'm not supposed to let a minor up without an adult chaperone..." Candace looked hesitant to let me, but I needed to get up there.

"Please, Candace? Please?" I begged and put my chin on the desk.

I really didn't feel like climbing through the fourth story window again right now, so I felt immensely relieved when she gave a quick look around and winked.

"Just don't let Laurence catch you." She said and gave me a sticker with my name on it.

I beamed and put the name tag on my shirt. "Thank you!" I gave her a wave before disappeared around the corner of the hallway.

As soon as I was out of her sight, my smile fell. I stumbled towards the nearest waiting chair and collapsed into it. My leg was throbbing from the walking I was doing. I lay a hand on my pocket to make sure the card was still there, and kept taking deep breaths. I was almost there. I gritted my teeth and gathered myself to stand again.

The walls of the hospital were painted a crisp, bright white. Odd paintings and unique pictures decorated the long hallway, and an occasional flower arrangement would sit atop a little table. The scent of chemicals and ammonia invaded my senses, and I fought the urge to gag. I pushed the sticky button for the elevator and scanned my surroundings. Nothing looked suspicious, but I knew better then to assume.

The heavy metal doors opened and woman, likely a nurse, was standing inside and checking a clipboard. Even at the sight of another unfamiliar human being, my pulse skipped. She smiled kindly before exiting the elevator, and I attempted to give her a half-hearted smile in return. I watched her leave before cautiously checking the elevator's interior before I got inside. I pushed the button for the forth floor, my finger tapping against my backpack strap.

My mind went into overdrive. Anyone in the entire hospital could be Intergang. I might have passed them, and I wouldn't've even known it! I thought back to the people in the waiting room. That man in the gray sweater- or maybe it could have been that woman with the green purse- they could have been purposely positioned because they knew this is where I'd drop off the card! They might have contacted someone inside- someone who could get to me before I got to George. Maybe-

Ding!

I jumped backwards again, my heart thudding wildly in my chest. The heavy metal doors opened to reveal an all-too familiar hallway.

"Okay, okay. Stay focused." I muttered. I wiped my sweaty palms on my jeans and pressed on.

As I passed open patient rooms, I could hear the steady hums and beeps of machinery. I stepped aside for a moment to allow an elderly man in a wheelchair to pass by, and I was grateful for the small moment I had to favor my injured leg. Okay, okay, stay cool, I coached myself. I checked over my shoulder several times as I navigated through the hospital.

Nameless doctors, nurses and patients passed me down the hallways. I struggled to return a few kind looks that were sent my way. I clenched my jaw and tried to erase any traces of pain from my face as I smiled back. Though I felt I wasn't doing a very good job of it, no one stopped me as I continued my trek across the hallway. I concealed my limp as much as I could, clenching my teeth and breathing deep.

A wave of relief crashed through my system once I finally reached a certain door. A bronze name tag was screwed on the front with the engraving; Dr. George Linh. Without knocking, I grabbed the handle and stumbled inside. The small doctors office was neat and tidy. A few random nick-nacks were on the desk, including an eight ball, a The Office mug of pens, and a plastic plant.

A man in purple scrubs and a lab coat sat behind it in a tall, squishy chair. He had an olive complexion, with frown lines stretching across his mid-fourties aged face. A pair of round glasses sat at the bridge of his nose. He looked up from his laptop with an annoyed expression on his face.

"I'm sorry, but- Jackie!" Dr. Linh's expression morphed once he realized it was me.

The doctor leapt to his feet, his chair spinning behind him. He hurried around his desk and ushered me inside.

I muttered, "Hey, doc." I tried for a smile, but it might have looked pained.

He poked his head into the hallway before locking the door behind us. Instantly noticing my favored leg He quickly pulled a chair from the side of his office and let me sink into it.

"Do you have it?" He asked eagerly.

I nodded and tugged the thin piece of plastic from my jean pocket. I didn't like the glint in his eyes when he saw it. I let him take it from me as he gingerly inspected the card for any damages.

"When the news came on this morning- I wasn't sure if you made it out okay." The doctor said.

"I'm touched by your concern." I murmured.

I don't think the caught my light sarcasm. He slipped the card into his pocket for safekeeping and returned his attention to me. He gave a questioning look at my favored leg.

"It's not as bad as it looks. Promise." I told him and gave him a casual one shouldered shrug.

George gave me a disapproving look and put on a pair of blue rubber gloves. I pulled up the leg of my jeans, and allowed him to unpinned my makeshift wrapping. I tried to read Dr. Linh's face, but his tight lipped expression wouldn't reveal anything. He gently prodded and examined the wound, pulling it open to see how deep it was. I inhaled sharply and gripped the armrests. He sighed and began to pull various bottles and supplies from a cabinet.

"He nicked the lateral head of your Gastrocnemius. It was a clean cut, but you'll still need stitches." I swallowed and willed myself not to groan.

I hated needles. Dr. Linh ripped open a small white package and produced a sterilized wipe, before dumping the contents of a brown bottle onto a cotton ball.

"Okay, tell me what happened." He said.

The doctor pushed up his round glasses with the back of his hand before getting to work. The alcohol was cool against my skin and burned when it came in contact with my wound. As George cleaned the cut, I proceeded to tell him everything that had happened, including how I'd suddenly been attacked after the window broke. His frown seemed to deepen as I recounted my story. I wavered a little bit as I watched him carefully thread a hooked needle.

"Are you sure a couple band aids wouldn't do the trick?" I asked hopefully. Dr. Linh gave me a blank stare.

"By all means, have an open cavity in the side of your leg. Be my guest." He said blatantly. I slumped in my chair and groaned. "Don't watch if you're going to be so squeamish about it."

We rested in silence as the doctor stitched my leg closed again. I gripped the seat below me and gritted my teeth as he pulled the needle through my skin. When he was finished, I watched him tie off the thread. He unscrewed a tube of antibiotic cream.

"This will help with the pain." He told me, then gestured for me to continue.

I skipped over the parts that included Robin helping me escape, not too desperate to inform the doctor on that part. But the moment I mentioned the dynamic duo, George cut into my story.

You allowed someone to follow you?" The anger in Dr. Linh's voice was eminent.

He put down his supplies to glare at me sharply. Instead of withering beneath his stare, I became defensive.

"We don't know that for sure!" I said. "They could have already been there! Or gotten a lead themselves!"

Fire seemed to burst behind his eyes. He ignored my claimed possibility.

"You've jeopardized everything! In an effort to capture you from escaping, their presence on earth is now known to the Justice League!"

I jumped to my own defense. "How can you say that? This isn't my fault! Whisper tried to kill me! They jumped to conclusions! I was acting in self defense!"

Dr. Linh ignored that. "But now you've shot one of their men-"

"It was literally just his foot. He's fine!" I rolled my eyes.

Dr. Linh controlled himself a little better, but I could tell he was still angry. He took a deep breath before stating very clearly,

"You can't run these deliveries anymore." He shook his head.

"What?! No!" I protested, my voice jumping an octave higher. I began to panic. "Maybe you can talk to Bruno- tell him that it wasn't my fault! I can still do this!" I insisted.

His expression softened at my desperation. He sadly shook his head and sighed.

"The Intergang doesn't forgive easy. In their eyes, you've betrayed them."

"But I didn't! I would never! Please, you have to convince them! Tell them I can still do this!" I pleaded frantically.

Dr. Linh said no more, and only looked at me sadly. I sputtered incoherent words as I slowly sat back in my chair, the truth of his words sinking into me.

He was right. It would be nearly impossible to convince the Intergang I hadn't been associated with the Justice League, especially when Robin had aided in my escape. I slammed a fist against the armrest, hot tears silently rolled down my face, and I bit the inside of my cheeks.

If I couldn't run these missions anymore, how was my dad going to get better? George needed the Intergang's help for this. He spoke to me softly.

"You're not safe anymore, Jackie. They'll come after you. And Bruno won't stop until he thinks you're gone for good." Dr. Linh said slowly.

He made sure the words had sunk in.

"So, what do we do?" I asked quietly.

He exhaled and rubbed his forehead. "Go back home, and I'll meet you there later on. We'll come up with something."

"But what about my dad?" I asked. I looked at him desperately.

"I will still work on your father." The doctor reassured me. "We will begin phase two of the treatment very soon." He promised.

I slumped in my chair with relief. George would still be able to help my dad.

"Thank you."

George shook his head as he began to wrap my stitches.

"Don't thank me now. You're still in danger at the moment. Head home, and we'll go from there." He advised. "For now, take it easy. Don't exert yourself, or you could rupture your stitches. Take a cab home. Make sure to keep it elevated."

George fished out his wallet and handed me a couple crisp dollar bills to pay the fair.

"Err, thanks." I muttered and pocketed the money.

I wasn't taking a taxi home. Being cornered in a vehicle wasn't a risk I was willing to take. But I didn't want to worry or upset him, so I decided I would return the money later tonight when he came to tell me about his plan.

"I'll arrive around six." He told me. "Be safe. We'll figure this out together, okay?"

"Thank you, Linh." I told him earnestly.

His eyes were tight as he gave me a small smile. "Of course."

I rose from the chair, testing my weight on my leg.

"Better?" The doctor asked.

I glanced at the new white bandage that now tightly covered the wound. While it still ached, it was manageable.

"Yeah." I nodded.

I rolled down my pant leg as Dr. Linh unlocked the door, holding it open for me.

"Hurry home. I'll see you tonight." He told me.

I nodded, and stepped out into the hallway.

"Thanks, Dr. Linh." I said again before I closed the door behind me.

I sucked in a deep gulp of air and sighed. I felt a little more at ease with the card safely with Dr. Linh. It was like a hundred pound weight was removed from my pocket. I resumed my route through the hospital, my leg no longer throbbing as much as it had. But I still felt sick to my stomach. Bruno was looking for me.

As I traveled to a different wing in the hospital, a noticeable change in the atmosphere was obvious. There weren't as many nurses bustling around. It was quieter hear. The air was heavier, almost pressing down on my shoulders. These were patient rooms.

It was very easy to find my father's room. They hadn't moved him since we'd came here. I pushed open the door, the silver hinges squeaking. A certain pain struck me in the chest, right inside my ribs. My lungs closed up again to see my dad on that hospital bed. I made my way over to the bed and pulled up a chair to sit beside him.

Normally, my dad was quite a handsome man. Over the years, my dad's sandy blonde hair had begun to get little streaks of gray in it. His eyes would crinkle more at the corners. I was often envious of his hazel eyes as a kid, disappointed I hadn't inherited them.

But now, it was painful to look at him with his sunken eyes, pale skin, and thinning body. He was still as stone. The shallow rise and fall of his chest was the only indication he was alive at all. An IV was hooked into his arm, dripping fluid into his body. Other monitors next to the bed slowly thrummed in with a steady rhythm. An oxygen mask covered his mouth and nose.

I gently took his papery hand in mine. His skin was cold, and blue veins shone through his translucent skin.

"Hey dad." I tried for a smile. I don't know how much it worked. "Dr. Linh says we're going to start phase two of the treatment very soon. He says we're making progress."

I babbled on about anything at all- just to keep myself talking. And while I talked, I searched his face for any signs that my dad was listening to me. I tried to be optimistic, just in case he was. So I lied. I told him about my week, filling it with the positivity I could muster.

But it was hard to talk to him like this- for him to be unresponsive to me. Once and a while my voice would catch and I'd have to wipe my face with my sleeve. But I kept talking to keep myself busy, and for my dad's sake too, in case he could hear me.

"Did I tell you Candace has an intern? She'll be on maternity leave soon! Yeah, he's right above 'clown' on my creepy scale. One too many expresso shots. He looks like me on Monday mornings-"

The doorknob began to turn. I gasped and pulled out my gun. I had it pointed at the door before I caught the sight of Dr. Lawrence's grumpy complexion in the skinny window. I hid my hands underneath the bed before he could see the gun. A gun in a hospital? Yeah, that could be bad.

Dr. Laurence's eyes were too close-set for his face, giving him a pinched complexion like he always had a mouthful of lemon drops or something. Three pens, red, blue, and green, were always tucked into his coat pocket, and were always in order. I found myself wanting to chew on the end of one to ruin it. Doctor Laurence was my least favorite person out of the entire staff. He frowned at me, his tiny eyes narrowing.

"Did Candace let you in again?" Dr. Laurence asked, obviously very unhappy I was here.

It was probably because I'd snuck into my dad's room before. Or maybe because he was still mad about the time I'd put a tea bag in his coffee. Not wanting to snitch on her, I tried to tug my jacket over the sticky name tag Candace had given me.

"No. I came in with George." I said.

Dr. Laurence folded his hands. "You shouldn't be in here. The nurses are about to run another test soon."

I rolled my eyes. "I'm just visiting."

"You are well aware of our visiting hours, Miss Hamilton." He frowned.

My hands gripped the handle of the gun. Oh, how I wanted to shove all his pens down a garbage disposal.

"Fine. I was just leaving anyways." I spat.

I swung my backpack around and set it on the floor so I could quickly deposit the gun without the doctor seeing. Zipping it shut, I shouldered my backpack and glared at him. He held the door out for me, waiting for me to leave.

"Bye, dad. I love you." I said softly and gave his hand another squeeze.

A part of me wanted to wait to see if he'd react, but he didn't. I tore myself away from the bed and made my way to the door. I walked slowly, not wanting to leave my dad yet. I took another glance at him on the hospital bed, and left.

The doctor watched me leave. I really wanted to roughly shoulder past him, but I settled for flipping him off when his back was turned. Grumbling to myself, I went to the empty front desk and pulled a tea bag from one of the drawers. Then, cutting one of the corners off with a pair of scissors, I waltzed into the faculty room behind the front desk.

It was very easy to recognize Laurence's coffee mug. I dumped the dried leaves into his mug of brown coffee. I was unsure if he'd come back to finish it, but it felt good anyways to do it. I chucked the bag in the trash and made my way out of the hospital.

Exiting the hospital was easier than it had coming in. My leg felt significantly better now that it was properly taken care of and had some painkillers for it. I could rest easy until Dr. Linh came around tonight knowing that he would take care of everything else.

I didn't go out the front door like last time. I took a back route, coming out from the back doors and away from anyone Intergang waiting in the lobby. I grabbed my gun from my bag and tucked it back into my waist.

Exiting the hospital was easier than it had coming in. My leg felt significantly better now that it was properly taken care of and had some painkillers for it. I could rest easy until the doctor came around tonight knowing that he would take care of everything else. I crossed back into the flow of traffic, steadily heading away from the hospital. I took a deep breath. Everything was going to work out.

I looked down the street. A taxi cab sat waiting for a passenger. My head vaguely made the connection how strange that was. Gotham cabs were always in demand. I walked another block before I heard someone speak to me.

"Excuse me, miss?" A voice startled me. I jumped backwards. "Would you like me to call for a cab? You don't look well." The man asked.

He gave me a concerned look. Dressed in a navy blue bellman uniform, I assumed he was the doorman for the hotel I was walking past. I imagine he was probably right- My face felt drained of all color and sweat gathered on my hairline. He smiled at me. My stomach twisted. I became very uneasy. I tried to mask it and I gave him a smile.

"No, thank you." I said simply, stepping around him.

"I really do insist." He said, blocking me. "It would be unwise to travel alone in a city like this."

My head screamed at me to run. I began to back away, and tried to keep my voice even.

"I'm really not far. I appreciate the concern, though." I reached behind myself to grab my gun, but froze in place.

I felt the barrel of a gun dig into my side. I inhaled sharply.

"Now, you don't want to cause a scene, do you?" A voice breathed down my neck. I held very still. "Good." He approved. "You see that cab over there? You're going to get into it."

No. No. No. Panic welled in my chest. When I didn't answer, he tugI nodded once.

"Good. Now give him your gun." He whispered.

With shaky hands, I obeyed and handed the doorman my gun. I tried not to panic. That wouldn't help me. The man nudged me again with the gun to move, and I obeyed, moving my sluggish feet in the direction of the car. So when the phony doorman opened the taxi door, my mind frantically searched for any means of escape.

All the doors were locked. There was no sunroof, so that was out of the question. I slid onto the far seat, and the man who'd held the gun to my side climbed in next to me. He had a scruffy red beard, and was missing a patch of hair on his scalp. His fingers were tightly gripping a red and black gun, and it was pointed at me.

The taxi driver was obviously a blonde woman, although I couldn't see her face. The car door slammed shut. The man kept his gun trained on me, and I eyed it carefully, my heart beating in my chest. I tried to slow it, breathing deep through my nose and put through my mouth as I gripped the inside of the car. When the car didn't speed out into the road, the man growled,

"Jordan."

The driver didn't respond.

"Hey," he roughly grabbed her shoulder, and the woman whipped around.

She grabbed his hand, twisting his wrist at an unnatural angle. His eyes widened as he gasped in pain. Whoever this lady was, she definitely wasn't Jordan. She gave him a sweet smile as the man switched the gun to the woman to shoot her. I wanted to scream, but as fast as a super ninja, the blonde woman had snapped his wrist, and punched him in the nose. He cried out and dropped the gun as blood came pouring from his nostrils.

I seized my moment.

I wrenched open the car door and ran out into open traffic. I didn't even have time to realize that the door had been unlocked...

I narrowly dodged a car coming straight down the road. The street erupted in car horns, screaming at me to get off the road. Cars slammed on their breaks as I fought my way across the street, away from the taxi cab.

"Sorry!" I impulsively yelled.

Sprinting down the adjacent sidewalk, I ran past annoyed pedestrians. My eyes scanned the faces as I blurred past them. Any one of them could be Intergang. My mind buzzed. I can take a loop around to Crown Point Bridge and hide there for a few hours. That ought'a through them off for a little. I can use a pay phone and call the Hospital and switch meeting places with Dr. Linh.

I caught sight of a familiar face walking down the sidewalk towards me. A woman with spiky black hair make a straight beeline for me. I recognized her from the drop off this morning. She casually strode down the sidewalk, but by then we'd made eye contact. Seeing her cover was blown, she broke into a run, making a beeline for me. She forcibly shoved a citizen aside, knocking him into the doorway of a shop. I swore. I ran the opposite direction again, my chest heaving and my leg aching. I'd probably torn my stitches.

With my gun missing, I swung my backpack over and searched for my next best weapon. I could hear her footsteps steadily pounding behind me. I looked over my shoulder to see her gaining. Even more panicked, I frantically rummaged through my bag faster. She lunged me. But instead of coming up with pepper spray, it was my snickers bar I threw into her eye.

"Aww, dang it!" I complained as I raced away from the crazy woman and my fallen candy bar.

But, unfortunately, the lady had a buddy. People screamed and cleared a path for another woman, this one holding an electric red spear like a javelin.

She raised her spear at me, and a quick eulogy flashed in my head.  Jackie Hamilton. Shish Kabobbed at the age of 15. Darn. Shoulda patented the cowl-veil while she had the chance.

Suddenly, the blonde woman from the taxi leapt from behind, grabbing the spear. She pulled some serious ninja skills from her back pocket because in just a second, she had grabbed the spear, twisted it from the woman's grasp, and kicked her in the stomach and had her pinned to the ground.

"Turn the corner! There'll be a black car!" The blonde woman told me.

Unfreezing from my moment of panic, I ran away from the two woman. Towards the car? Uh, what kind of a person do I look like to you? A stupid one? Okay, scratch that- sometimes I was stupid, but I wasn't that stupid. I ran away from whatever car that random woman had advised me to get into.

I turned the corner, my backpack bouncing as I ran. People were in panic mode again, still confused what was going on. I slammed into someone, stumbling to the side from the impact and kept running. I pushed past people, fighting get to the other end of the street.

Okay. Crown Point Bridge.

My gut twisted again, and my head whipped to my left and looked to the other side of the congested street. Two people- a tall man and a beefy woman, both holding guns were running along the other side of the road, roughly shoving people out of their way. They were heading to block me off on my way to the bridge.

They were herding me like a sheep. I ran on, panic building up inside me, my lungs heaving for air. My leg burned with fire.

Now, I'm not exactly good with cars, so I couldn't tell you exactly what sped down the road, narrowly rolled up onto the sidewalk, and slammed on it's breaks a few feet away from me. All I could tell that it was sleek, black, and looked extremely expensive. The woman with blonde hair rolled down the driver's window. Before I could process what had really just happened, she shouted,

"Get in!"

But before my mind had time to register what she said to me, words were tumbling out of my mouth before I could stop them. I'd just about became a grease spot on this crazy woman's car!

"What the heck! Crazy pants! Get off the sidewalk!" I screamed in outrage.

She ignored me.

"They have more back-up on the way! Soon they'll have all the roads blocked and we'll be cornered!" She insisted urgently. "Now get in the car, Snickers!"

"There!" A voice yelled.

I gasped and spun around. Four people shoved through the crowd, and they all carried guns. I put my hand on the hood of the car and leapt over to the other side. I slammed my back against the metal as bullets pelted the area where I'd just been.

I frantically looked around for an escape or something I could use as cover as they closed in.
I faintly heard the sound of the passenger window roll down.

"They're almost here! Get in the car!" The driver called urgently.

Female. Mid twenties, my mind told me. Now kids, normally when a stranger tells you to get in their car, you don't listen to them, right? I mean, we've all had that lesson in elementary, even when they have candy and stuff. So naturally, my first retort was to shriek,

"Umm, I'm okay, nutjob!" I scooted away from the window a little more.

I scoped out the area and tried to see a temporary window where I could make a break for it.

"I really don't want to pull you into the car against your will, but I'll do it if it means saving your life." She said.

Something in her voice spoke authority. Don't listen to the crazy lady. Don't listen to the crazy lady! I gritted my teeth. I was so gonna die. Against my better judgement, I grabbed the handle, yanked it open, and dove inside before slamming it shut.

"Hang on!" The driver put the car in reverse and sped out of the sidewalk.

She floored the acceleration and sped out of their line of fire. The tires peeled against the ground. More bullets rained down on the car, but they didn't seem to make a dent.

"Gah!" I was thrown to the side as the vehicle lurched.

"Seatbelt." She ordered.

I was kind of stunned. We were being chased by people who wanted to kill me, and she was worried about seatbelts. But I quickly fastened myself in the chair, my fingers fumbling with the buckle.

The woman sat with both of her hands gripping the leather steering wheel. Her back was pressed against the chair as we sped down the road.

"They've blocked off almost all exits- they were initially planning to catch you on foot. I'd imagine they've already radioed in your new location." The woman said.

But I could hardly hear her over the sound of blood roaring in my ears. I hadn't stepped foot inside a car since the accident. My knuckles were white as the car raced along the road. I was torn between watching the road, or watching the lady who's car I'd just gotten into. At the speeds we were going, I expected the car to catch an edge and we'd go spiraling out of control.

But this lady had some moves.

She drove like a maniac, which was probably what saved our lives. She pulled out all those fancy tricks that you see in the movies: weaving in and out of cars, grabbing the emergency brake.

"BUS!" I screamed.

A dirty, gray city bus was headed straight for us. But because I was in the middle of gasping for air, it might have sounded less like bus and more like screaming. I covered my neck and waited for the impact that never came. She yanked the steering wheel to a hard right, and the car jumped over the curb, and barreled through a garage can.

If there were people following us, I wasn't aware because I didn't check. I was too busy keeping myself from throwing up. But whether it was from motion sickness or because I had almost been killed- again- I wasn't sure.

She earned several loud and long honks- and probably some other insults like curses or certain fingers. I felt as if the car walls were closing in on me. I managed to pry off one of my hands off the inside of the car I was bracing myself with to grab the seatbelt over my heart. The blonde woman's eyes flicked to get rearview mirror.

"Hang on." She yanked the wheel and pulled the emergency brake.

I inhaled sharply as the car swung around, and narrowly avoided colliding with a yellow taxi cab. My seatbelt dug into my body as I clung to the inside of the car for dear life.

She exhaled and tucked a stray piece of hair behind her ear. "You hungry?"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.1K 65 7
After a freak Mishap, the Team find themselves in an unfamiliar world, with some very familiar faces. Ported from my YJ oneshots book. This will be...
25.7K 694 15
The Young Justice team is give a mission by Batman to go on an undercover mission at Gotham Academy. Their mission is simple. They have to figure out...
9.5K 240 12
Batman finds a cluster of old files belonging to the light. However as he decodes them he realizes that a few are targeting a young, powerful, indivi...
229K 9.2K 27
After the death of his parents, Dick Grayson is taken in by his Uncle and trained to be a Talon. He has been training and preparing for four years of...