If Only You Knew

By bradleemorris

Harry Potter runs into none other than Draco Malfoy, four years after the war. The two discover that maybe 'h... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Epilogue
A/N and Sequel?

Chapter 8

306 17 11
By bradleemorris

"Morning, sleepyhead," Draco whispered softly, in Harry's ear. They had both fallen asleep on the couch the night before. Draco woke up an hour before to find Harry curled up against him. He decided to get up and not tell Harry about them cuddling. It would be too embarrassing. "Mmhm," Harry replied and slowly sat up. He looked over at Draco and smirked. "What are you smirking about, Potter?" Draco asked. "Harry." Harry corrected. "Harry," Draco replied. "Much better." Harry smiled. "I smirked before because of your hair. I like it better without gel. It suits you." He continued, standing up fully and walking to the kitchen. Draco just stood there blushing, confused as to what just happened.

"Are you coming to eat or not? Harry called from the kitchen and Draco rolled his eyes. "Yes, I'm coming," Draco answered, heading into the kitchen and sitting down. Harry passed him a plate of toast. "Here, eat up and don't complain," He said. Draco sighed. "Really, Harry? Would you stop lecturing me about eating? You need it just as much as I do." Harry blushed and nodded. "Thank you." Draco smiled. His smile quickly turned into a frown when he looked down at his plate. "Why do I have a grey plate?" He asked. "Well your ey- er, I thought you would, I don't know! Here switch with me." Harry mumbled. "Well, green is my favourite colour, especially this shade," Draco told Harry. "Mine's grey," Harry replied quietly, blushed and looked away. He hoped Draco didn't see his blush.

"So... I have a few job interviews today." Draco started. "I think a few of them are interesting. I hope I get one. I may be rich, but it would be nice to have something to do during the day." Harry nodded. "I'm sure it would be." He sighed. "Wait... you don't have a job? Weren't you going to be an Auror?" Draco asked, looking puzzled. "Well after fighting evil for half my life I decided that I was sick and tired of going through Hell every day, just to lose people I love."

Draco smiled a sympathetic smile at Harry and they were silent for a few moments before Draco spoke up. "Harry? Do you want to talk about it?" He looked up, into Draco's icy grey eyes and relaxed. "Yeah, I do."

"Every year there was always something I had to do to save people, or that others expected me to do. It was tiring and I felt really angry all the time. Sometimes Ron would get mad at me for things I didn't do and even my crush would treat me poorly. It was too much for me to handle. Everyone expected too much from me." He explained, tearing up.

"How so Harry?" Draco asked calmly. Harry took a deep breath.

"When I was eleven, I defeated Voldemort with my bare hands. When I was twelve, I killed a basilisk. When I was thirteen, I fought off over one hundred dementors, even though I was terrified of them. When I was fourteen, I survived a dragon, unwillingly completed the rest of the Tournament, witnessed Voldemort's return and watched Cedric get killed. When I was fifteen, I fought Death Eaters, was tortured by a teacher and watched my godfather get killed. When I was sixteen, I watched Dumbledore get killed and when I was seventeen, I died, saw so many people I loved lying dead and killed Voldemort. I lost Fred, Remus, Tonks, Moody, Lavender, Collin, Sirius, Dumbledore, Hedwig, my parents, I'm sick of it. I'm not becoming an Auror and living through it all over again. No... I just... " Harry began to sob. Draco walked towards him and wrapped him in a big hug.

"Draco, I'm sorry. I shouldn't be putting this all on you. I know how much you've been through and I shouldn't be complaining when you've gone through worse." Harry muttered. Draco just looked at Harry with so much sadness. "No Harry it's not the same thing. You saved the world! I'm just a coward with an idiot for a father and a mother too afraid to disagree with him. You've done so many challenging things and I know they've hurt you, but without you, we would all be dead. You are so important Harry. Don't forget that ok?" Draco began to tear up too.

All of sudden Harry stopped crying, broke the hug and looked at Draco with a stern face. "Draco Lucius Malfoy! You are not a coward! You are one of the bravest people I ever met! Draco, you went against your family and Voldemort when you threw me your wand. If you hadn't, he would still be alive. You also saved me from the Snatchers, you knew it was me and you risked your life to protect me. Draco if you hadn't done this, we couldn't have won the war. You are technically 'the Saviour'. I know you didn't want to take the mark, but you did it to protect your family. You lived in the same house as Voldemort! You are not a coward. You may not be a Gryffindor but you are so brave and you have a kind heart, I know you do. I would never be able to do half of what you've done. You are amazing, Draco. I know you didn't want to kill Dumbledore, I could see it in your eyes. You were protecting your mother and even your horrible father. That shows how brave and kind you are. Don't ever let me hear you say differently. As much as you may hate it, you are 'the Saviour', so you might want to stop calling me that". Harry chuckled and pulled Draco back into a hug. Draco was crying now, but he wasn't sad. He had just heard the nicest thing anyone's ever said to him, and the words came from Harry's mouth.

10 minutes later, they broke the hug, dried their eyes and Draco headed out the door. Harry ran and stopped him. "If anyone treats you differently at an interview because of the mark, send me one of those paper cranes you sent me in third year. I'll come, and make them regret it." Harry smiled and went back inside. Draco smiled too and headed to his first interview.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Draco looked down at his list of jobs. For the past week, he had been writing down jobs listed in the paper. Some of them he really wanted, while others would just have to do. The list consisted of:

Healer's Assistant - St. Mungo's

Store Clerk - Flourish and Blotts

Bartender - Hog's Head

Desk Manager - Owl Post Office in Hogsmeade

Obliviator - Ministry of Magic

Potioneer - Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry

In all honesty, Draco had always considered becoming a Healer. After he was given the Dark Mark, he changed his mind knowing that no one would want a Death Eater being their Healer. Draco thought the role of being an assistant instead might be different. He was wrong. When Draco arrived and informed a Healer that he was there for an interview, he was asked to leave as they had 'no interest in working alongside a Death Eater'.

So Draco left and headed to Diagon Alley. Maybe Flourish and Blotts would give him a chance. Draco loved reading and had lots of books he could recommend to customers. Unfortunately, he was not permitted access into the shop after he told the owner he was there for an interview.

Next, Draco apparated to Hogsmeade to interview for the bartender job. He didn't really want to work there but figured that if he had a bad day, the alcohol was right there. The shrunken heads that guard the doors at the bar wouldn't let him in, even though he was of drinking age.

Draco walked up the street to the Owl Post Office and managed to enter this time. The desk witch explained the job and Draco was very unimpressed. He didn't want the job but it seemed to be the only place that would give him a job. The desk witch then asked Draco's name, scowled and threw him out.

Draco decided not to interview for the Obliviator role knowing the Ministry most likely wouldn't let him in. He also found that the job would be too sad.

One job left, he crossed his fingers. Draco walked from Hogsmeade all the way to Hogwarts. He entered and made his way to Headmistress McGonagall's office. Minerva smiled when she saw Draco. "Mister Malfoy, I had a feeling you would drop by." Draco nodded. "I'm here about the Potioneer position." He told her. "Yes, I figured. You were the best at potions in your year, even better than Miss Granger. Don't tell her that though." She said with a wink. "Well I always enjoyed potions, it was my favourite subject." Minerva smiled. "Professor Slughorn is becoming quite old and forgetful, you see. For this job, you will be provided with ingredients and instructions and you must brew potions for the school, instead of having Horace make them. He will continue to teach the class, but our potions supply will be left to you. Does that sound like what you're looking for?" She asked. "Of course. Does this mean I'm hired?" Draco asked, with a hopeful expression. "Yes Mister Malfoy, we will send you ingredients to the manor along with instructions and a list of the potions we need. A new list along with supplies will be sent to you every week. We expect your potions here by the Friday of the week they are requested. Any questions?" Draco shook his head. "No, ma'am. Although you must know I don't live in the manor anymore. I'm living in a flat in muggle London. Thank you so much, Professor- er, Headmistress. I'm very grateful. Have a lovely day." Draco said as he headed towards the Floo. "You too, Draco," Minerva said as Draco stepped into the green flames of the fireplace.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

While Draco was out, Harry had an idea. He wasn't sure if Draco would like it, but it needed to be done.

Harry approached the door to Pansy Parkinson's office at 12:00 sharp. Pansy had recently got a job working as a reporter for The Daily Prophet. Harry knew that Pansy didn't like him but she was good friends with Draco, so she just might agree.

Pansy opened the door to her office and got quite a shock. "Potter? What are you doing here?" She asked snarkily. "I need you to do me a favour. It's about Draco." He answered.

Pansy nodded and let Harry into her office. Draco told her that he and Potter had moved in together. She was also the first of his friends to know about Draco's crush on Harry. She knew since the first year of school. Honestly, it was so obvious. "If this could bring Draco and Harry together and possibly start their relationship, I'm all for it." She thought.

"So, Potter. What do you want exactly?" Pansy asked. Harry grinned. "I need you to write an article explaining the truth about Draco," He replied. "What? I'm not exposing him!" Pansy yelled. "No, showing everyone that he is the good guy here. But you have to say that you got all this information from an interview with me and you can't make things up. I want it all to be true. I will get the final say about the article as well." Harry informed her. "You want to help Dray?" She asked. "I want him to be accepted and forgiven. Worshipped, even. Without him, Voldemort would still be alive." Pansy smiled. "Merlin's beard! Potter likes Dray! Ahh! I have to do this!" Pansy squealed in her head and turned to Harry. "I'll do it." Harry smiled. "Oh, and Potter? I'm sorry I said we should turn you in, to Voldemort. I didn't mean it. If someone actually listened to me, I would never have forgiven myself. I was just scared." Harry looked at her with a forgiving face. "I understand."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

13.5K 538 11
Harry Potter and Draco Malfoy for as long as they can remember have been enemies, it started the day Draco reached out his hand and Harry refused it...
181K 4.6K 21
"Yeah, um, I..." But the lingering effects of Felix wouldn't let me lie. "I do. I really like you." "Not platonically, then." "Not platonically." "We...
16.6K 823 62
Book 1/4 (Returned 2/4, Risen 3/4) My blood ran cold at her words. Everything went still. I noticed Ron and Hermione turn to look at me. Their faces...
7.7K 152 38
Yn Malfoy is draco Malfoy's sister and she is coming to Hogwarts but she is different she has a secret that can get people killed and she gets take...