Invisible String (Home Improv...

By AutumnCardigan

"And isn't it just so pretty to think, all along there was some invisible string, tying you to me" More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25

Chapter 10

623 8 15
By AutumnCardigan

Nicole just came over to my house directly after school on Friday, her purple duffle bag slung over her shoulder, her yellow backpack on the other. "When are Kimmy and DJ coming over," she wondered as we entered the front door. Brad, Randy, and Mark weren't too far behind since we all shared the same bus.

"Around 5," I answered, glancing at the clock that read almost 4.

"I guess that gives us about an hour," Nicole commented, Brad grinning at her after he stepped over the threshold.

"Hey, Nicole," he spoke, Nicole beaming at her boyfriend as she blushed extra faintly.

"Hi, Brad."

Randy rolled his eyes as they got caught up in their own, little world, him joining me in the kitchen where I was getting the snacks out.

"Mom won't be happy you plan on eating before dinner," Randy noted.

"No offense, but I don't want my friends eating your mom's cooking."

"None taken. I was hoping for pizza tonight, since you had friends coming over."

"Maybe we can persuade her," I suggested.

"No chance, she already has a lasagna in the oven," Brad observed, overhearing our conversation as he came over, his arm draped over Nicole's shoulders.

"Her lasagna's not too bad, right?"

Randy widened his eyes for a moment as he sighed. "It depends what you mean by bad."

"Hey guys, you need any help setting up for your sleepover," Jill asked Nicole and I after she entered the kitchen.

I froze at first, afraid she might have heard our prior conversation, but she didn't seem to have a clue about it.

"No, we're good. I was just getting some snacks out."

"If you girls want to order a pizza or something for dinner, then that's fine."

"Why do they get to have pizza," Brad complained.

"Don't worry, your father and I can eat the lasagna tonight. You can have the leftovers tomorrow night."

"Okay," Randy caved, not seeming keen about having to eat the home cooked meal the next day. I wasn't thrilled either, since that meant it would also be my supper.

After a whole hour of Nicole and Brad cuddling on the chair, while Randy and I stared at the television bored out of our minds on the couch, Kimmy and DJ finally showed up. Tim answered the door, revealing the two girls with duffle bags, each in a different color. Thankfully they also were a different shade than Nicole's, that way they wouldn't get their things mixed up.

"What's Kimmy doing here," Randy questioned, not sounding happy at all.

"Good to see you again too, Squirt," Kimmy reacted.

"What's that suppose to mean?" Randy squinted his eyes at the girl.

"It means you're short," she bluntly said, Randy just giving her a blank look.

"Kimmy, you're here," their dad reluctantly said.

"Good to see you again, Mr. T. I watch your show every day. My mom likes Al, but my dad likes ya!"

"Thanks, Kimmy," Tim flatly reacted, clearly not happy about her being there.

"I'm ordering a pizza. What do you kids want on it," Jill asked us.

"Lots of anchovies," Kimmy instantly answered with her eyes shining. All of us made a face, even Tim and Jill, but they were a bit more discreet about it.

"Alright, what do you want on the other pizzas," Jill inquired.

"Pepperoni," Nicole replied.

"I'll have the same," Randy agreed.

"I'll have that too," Mark intervened.

"The works for me," Brad chimed in.

"What about you, Katie? DJ," Jill checked.

"Pepperoni's fine, Mrs. Taylor," DJ politely told her.

"Um... mushroom with extra cheese, please," I timidly responded, feeling awkward that my order was different from the others, but I guess Brad was the only one who ordered everything on his. Jill went ahead and read off our orders, none of us complaining that we were getting extra pizza since our requests were so different. Some of us did like the options we didn't pick, just not as much.

Eventually the pizza arrived, Jill setting it onto their table near the kitchen. We all winced when Kimmy opened the whole one just for her.

"Does anyone want some of my pizza," she called, all of us shaking our heads. "Wow, a whole pizza all to myself. This is the best sleepover. What do you say we eat this in your new room, Katie?"

"Um, sure," I hesitated to agree, each of us lifting a box along with the plates and napkins we would need.

"Can we join you," Brad asked, but I had a feeling they just wanted to spy on our sleepover.

"Okay, but you have to leave as soon as we're done eating. Deal," DJ boldly asked for me.

"Deal," Brad confirmed, Nicole smiling widely at him almost as though she was in a dream.

"Hey! Wait for me," yelled Mark as we all headed to the basement.

I wasn't too concerned about anyone making a mess, except for Kimmy, and to make it worse she was sitting on my bed.

"Oops. I hope you're not too attached to these sheets," she expressed after less than 5 minutes. I internally groaned, since they were mostly white, but I just remained calm and stood up from my place on the floor.

"I'll go get the peroxide," I reluctantly informed everyone, hurrying upstairs, since I didn't have any of that stuff in my bathroom, which probably wouldn't be a bad idea. Thankfully the stain came right out after applying the liquid, and we were back to eating.

"Don't ya have a t.v. down here? Mtv's having one of their countdowns," Kimmy pointed out.

"No...," I trailed off, afraid to mention my computer even if it was in plain sight.

As soon as Brad, Randy, and Mark got caught up in a burping contest, that was our cue to make them leave. The night was now officially beginning.

The first thing we did together was create facial masks, painting our fingernails while they dried on our skin. After that was over, we realized it was still fairly early, just sitting around on the floor as we grew bored.

"Let's play Truth or Dare," Kimmy suddenly exclaimed, us just going with it since there was nothing else to do. "Katie can ask first, since it's her party."

"Okay... Kimmy, truth or dare," I questioned after we got situated in a circle on the carpet.

"Dare," she automatically chose.

"I dare you to drink Ketchup," I made up on the spot.

"Okay!" She seemed a little too happy to be doing that. She popped up before running upstairs, coming back with the whole bottle, already squirting Ketchup into her mouth.

"Kimmy, I didn't mean the whole bottle. I meant like one of the extra packets we have from fast food restaurants."

"Hey, relax, I'm not even touching this thing," Kimmy defended, but then there was another stain on my beige carpet. I sighed before cleaning, figuring it was my fault since I had given the dare.

"Okay, next is DJ. Truth or dare," Kimmy inquired after joining us.

"Um... Truth," DJ decided after looking up at the ceiling for a minute, while biting her lower lip slightly.

"Is it true you kissed Kevin on your birthday?"

"Yeah, it was the best moment of my life," DJ confessed, smiling special from the memory. "Nicole, truth or dare?"

"Truth," Nicole safely picked.

"Do you have a crush on Cory Kupkus?"

I bated my breath, since I recalled Nicole having a previous crush on her best guy friend.

"Well, not really. I mean, I'm with Brad."

"It sounds to me like you like him," Kimmy interrupted.

"Well, I still find him cute, but I'm with Brad..."

"Kimmy, let's have Katie take her turn now," DJ told her best friend, saving Nicole from an awkward situation.

"So, Katie, truth or dare," Nicole asked me.

"Truth."

"Do you have a crush on Randy?" She gave me a teasing look as my cheeks grew warm.

"Maybe... I mean, we're such good friends. I wouldn't want to wreck that."

"Come on, am I the only one who's going to pick dare," Kimmy wondered aloud.

"Fine, I'll do a dare," I sighed, not wanting her to bug us about that the whole game.

Her eyes lit up though, causing me to grow scared. "Okay, I dare you, Katie, to... run past Randy's room in your underwear!"

"Kimmy," scolded DJ before turning to me. "You do not have to do that, Katie."

"Yes, she does, it's a dare," Kimmy argued.

"Fine, I'll do it. Randy's probably on his computer anyway. He won't even notice me," I shrugged. I stripped down to my light pink underwear, grateful it wasn't any worse than wearing a swimsuit. I kept my sweater on though, hoping to save some of my dignity. I took a deep breath as I gradually opened my door, all the girls watching me.

"Okay, GO!" Kimmy's voice was so loud, I figured Randy already heard her by now. "Run back and forth three times."

"Three times," I asked in disbelief, my mouth dropping open.

"Yeah, it's no fun if you just do it once," Kimmy claimed.

"Fine," I sighed, my heart rate already picking up. I inhaled deeply before forgetting to exhale, racing across the small hallway, which was not easy. When I was passing Randy's open door on the second sprint, I stopped to peek inside, sighing a sigh of relief when it was empty. I definitely was not going to tell Kimmy that. I screamed though when a voice sounded.

"Whoa, is this what girls do at sleepovers?" Brad. To be honest this was 10 times more embarrassing, despite my crush on Randy.

"Brad! I... Kimmy dared me to run past Randy's room. I have to go!" I ran straight into my bedroom with my face tomato red, never more embarrassed in my life.

Brad poked his head in the door shortly after. "I thought the rest of you would be in your underwear too."

"Brad," Nicole scolded, playfully hitting him before he gently grabbed her arms.

"Don't worry, Nicole. You're the only girl I have eyes for."

"Yeah, right. That's why you still blush around Heidi," Nicole teased, causing her boyfriend's face to turn a little pink.

"I'm sorry. I can't help it. I've just liked Heidi since I was a kid, but I could never be with her..."

"You're cute when you ramble," Nicole spoke, still teasing him.

"So, you're not mad?"

"No," she giggled. "Just don't be peeking in here anymore."

"I promise I won't," Brad vowed before kissing her on the lips, Kimmy making whistling noises behind them.

I had already slipped into the bathroom to get my jeans back on, along with my dignity.

"What's going on here," Randy questioned as he leaned inside my bedroom, his hand resting on the doorknob.

"Nothing much, just your girlfriend was running around half naked," Brad joked.

"What? I don't have a girlfriend," Randy stated, clearly confused.

"Yeah, you do, Katie." His brother was struggling to refrain himself from laughing.

"Shut up," Randy warned, chasing after Brad after Brad dodged out of there.

"I am never choosing dare again," I promised, my skin still feeling as though it was on fire.

"Suit yourself," Kimmy shrugged, me relieved that we were done with that game.

A/N: Hey guys, this chapter was a bit longer than usual. I just kept thinking of stuff to write for the sleepover, and I actually might write for it some more in the next chapter. I hope you enjoyed this chapter. Please remember to comment, vote, and follow if you did. Thank you so much! I'm so grateful for all of the reads, votes, and nice comments. They mean the world. <3 <3

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

134K 3.7K 29
"There was an invisible string, Tying you to me." or The arrival of a particular Omatikaya family brought forth a feeling she didn't know she longe...
190K 4.8K 76
"I always thought that we've had this sort of connection... Unspoken- of course" ~~~~~~~ -Stiles Stilinski
1.2K 40 11
'And isn't it just so pretty to think, all along there was some, Invisible String. Tying you to me?'