The Final Wait

By Raathi07

What happens in Saint Beaurage, stays in Saint Beaurage. Yet when a newcomer, Octavia Mora, turns up at Vega... More

Author's Note
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
∞ Music Used ∞

Chapter 29

43 3 0
By Raathi07

Song: Miserable At Best

Artist: Mayday Parade

Chapter 29

Through the glass window, they watched Octavia and Greta share a final hug. One thing was for sure, wherever Octavia went, she connected with people. She promised she'd come back one day and introduce her to Dustin. Mainly so that her son, Joel, can teach Dustin how to make the perfect ice coffee.

'She hates me.' Frederic watched Greta pull away and speak with her index finger raised. She probably warned Octavia about the four teenage boys outside. Lochlan dropped his cigarette and crushed it with his boot. It must've been his third one.

'She doesn't hate you. Well, she'll forgive you,' He sighed and saw Octavia's smile drop when she turned to look at them. 'She hates me, she'll never forgive me.'

Reagan walked out of the bakery with Octavia's bag and put it in the trunk. She walked out with Greta leaning against the doorframe. Like watching one of her own children continue their life without her. A small smile rested on her lips and brought light to her eyes.

'I'll help with that.' Ezekiel reached out to help Octavia take off her backpack. She froze and stared at him until he dropped his hands and stepped away. Once the trunk shut, she waved to Greta who returned the gesture.

'I call shotgun.' Octavia walked to the other side of the car and jerked the door open. Greta nodded in amusement when the door slammed. Once everyone was in the Jeep and the car started, Octavia finally turned on her phone, popped her earphones in and listened to the playlist Nikolai started.

They drove out of West Fort and stopped at the first motel. Everyone was exhausted and needed proper sleep before an entire day on the road. Octavia wasn't up for another round with Lochlan or Frederic so she agreed to share a room with Reagan. He let her take the bed while he rested on the mid-century sofa. With Reagan doing most of the driving, he was drained and fell asleep in minutes. 

The sound of his snores filled the room, and Octavia's hearing. He must've been a heavy sleeper because when she tossed a pillow at him, his snores only became louder. She stepped out of the room and onto the second-floor balcony. Few cars were parked in the centre which meant the motel wasn't full. She wouldn't disturb too many people by calling her father. It was a chance since it was past midnight, and he liked to be in bed by ten. Her hand wrapped around the railing when he answered on the first ring.

'Papa, I'm so sorry.' Octavia didn't want to cry again and gripped the railing to calm herself. 'Please, Papa, forgive me. I didn't mean to run away, I just...'

'It's okay, Octavia. We'll talk about all of that when you come home. Are you okay?'

'I'm fine. H—How's Nonna?'

Mr Mora sighed into the phone, 'Not good. It's spreading fast and the doctors have detected vast physical changes. That's not a good sign. She's so weak and in so much pain. Nonno is staying with her because she's beginning to... forget. That's why you have to see her. I don't want you to walk into that room and she doesn't recognise her only granddaughter.'

'Yes, Papa, I know, we'll be back by tomorrow night. Well, tonight.'

'Good, we'll discus—'

'Were you ever going to tell me about Lochlan?' she couldn't help herself when she heard that Frederic overheard it from her father. 'How... he was the one?'

'I don't know. You became friends with him, so it became harder.'

'How could you tolerate him in our house?' she walked to the end of the corridor so she could use her inner voice. 'Papa, he... he took Nikolai away from us.'

'Nikolai, is still here—right next door, but do you know who isn't? You. Octavia, you're not here.' Mr Mora cleared his throat. 'You need to be here, for Lucca. You can't live without your older sibling? Don't do the same to Lucca. I love you, my child. Stay safe, and we'll see you soon, okay?'

'Love you too, Papa.' She ended the call, and when she turned around, Ezekiel stood in the middle of the corridor. She pushed her shoulders back and slowly approached him. 'Did you know?'

'N—no, I didn't.' he shook his head and raised his arms when she continued to stare. 'Believe me, Octavia, if I did, I would've told you. Not like that but, I'd make you understand.'

'Understand? What's there to not understand? Lochlan drove into my brother and left him there to die.'

'But he didn't die, and I know Lochlan if he could, he would've helped. He was scared. Anyone would be scared in a situation like that. He would've gotten caught for underage drinking.'

'He got caught anyway.' She raised her index finger and jabbed it in his face. 'My dad told me about the camera footage the police showed him. That's how he got caught, yet he still got away with it. Nikolai is still in a coma while he's prancing around smoking cigs and burning in leather.'

'He didn't get away with it.' Ezekiel shook his head. 'Why do you think Lochlan always needs a ride? His license got suspended. He finished his community service work before summer started and he got expelled from AA.'

'I thought Augustine Academy is for art kids?' she tilted his head. 'What could he do?'

'Take a wild guess.' Ezekiel's mouth lifted as he looked down at her.

'Artist like you? I don't know, he plays the trombone?'

'He used to act.'

'Act?' her eyes widened. 'Wow, really?'

'Yeah, since the academy focuses on art, he had to go back a year when he got into Vega Front High.' Ezekiel frowned. 'He could've graduated with us.'

'I don't know what you want me to say.'

'Nothing, I just want you to understand that Lochlan faced the consequences.' Ezekiel waited for her to nod but she continued to stare. Her arms over her chest and eyes that had a spark from the moonlight. 'Octavia, I'm sorry, for what I said that night. I didn't mean all of that. I was frustrated because I want to understand. You just make it hard sometimes when you don't really open up to me.'

Her first instinct was to fire back at him but she couldn't get her mind off of him the entire time she was away. She wanted to cry in his arms and let his thin fingers stroke her hair. She wanted to watch him paint so she could see the smile on his face when he worked. Yet with everything going on in her family's life, she shouldn't have been thinking of him.

'I—I'm sorry too. I kind of got obsessed with trying to figure out everything.'

'Kind of?' he chuckled when she rolled her eyes. 'See? Knowing the truth didn't bring Nikolai back. It didn't wake him up.'

'Yes, but now that I know everything, I can wait for him to wake up in peace. I've played all my cards. Now I have to wait.' She stepped to the side, so they were arm's length away from each other. It made what she'd say next, easier. 'I've never done this sort of thing before. The only love I've shown were for my family, and I need to do that right now. I love you, Ezekiel King, but I need to learn how to separate that love from family love. If that makes sense?'

'Yeah, yeah, it does. I get it.' he reached up and ran a hand through his locks. Octavia watched his hand and wished she'd been the one to do that. When his hand dropped by his side, he smiled. 'I love you, too. I want you to be happy, and if it means, us taking a bit of time, then... so be it. I'll wait.'

'Thank you.' She clasped her hands together so she wouldn't be able to touch him. 'What are you doing when we start school? Aren't you going to college?'

'I thought that, but right now I'm gonna' work at Kings for a while and paint. Your grandpa helped a lot. I've sold a few paintings to his rich buddies that play golf with him. Also, my work is getting recognised in a few national showcases.'

'Look at you, I'm so proud of you.' She couldn't help when one of her hands reached out to trail along his white shirt. Neither of them reacted to it and she went on. 'I remember the first time I stepped into Kings, I knew... you were destined for great things. You'd touch people's heart with your art.'

'I hope so.'

'That reminds me, have you finished the one of my grandma?'

'Almost, when we get back... if it's fine with you, I'd like to come over and finish it. All I need is one more day.'

'You're always welcomed.' She forced herself to pull away from his warm comforting eyes that hugged her soul. Ezekiel waved, but she was already walking down the corridor. He watched until she was in her room to let out a sigh. He raised his arms and looked up at the shining moon and drifting clouds, picturing himself on cloud nine.

...

As promised they got back by the following night. Based on Frederic's schedule, if they made one stop for gas, bathroom and food then they'd reach home in time. Octavia watched each house pass when they entered Lionel View. She dreaded seeing her house where her father waited. 

Except, when they arrived, a few lights were on but no one stood outside. She sighed because she wasn't ready for that talk yet. She wanted to crawl into her queen-sized bed and pet Ajax in all the places that got his tail swinging.

Ezekiel helped her with her bags and offered to come inside but she shook her head. This was as far she'd allow them to take her. She'd have to do the next part by herself. With her duffel bag by her feet and backpack strapped on, she nodded at them.

'Thanks, for bringing me back.' she avoided the backseat where Frederic and Lochlan sat and kept her gaze on the front. 'I heard Sasha's having a party before school. I'll probably see you then if I'm not gone.'

'That's like a week and a half away.' Ezekiel leaned his arms on the passenger window. His bottom lip jutted out and all she wanted to do was pick at it and bite it. 

Octavia tilted her head, and he sighed, 'I know, I'll come by to finish the painting in a few days.'

'Thanks, I really have to be with my family, right now.' She nodded. 

Ezekiel backed into the car and rested his hand against the window while they drove off. She waved and watched the car turn down the street before facing forward.

For a moment she almost forgot that the Chapman's were her neighbours. Yet it all came back when she spotted Tyson in the upstairs window. She would've thought he'd step back, but he stared down at her. His face glowed when he looked down at his phone. Octavia's phone vibrated, and she pulled it out.

Tyson: You're back

Octavia looked up at him and showed him the middle finger. He put his hand up then disappeared from the window. She rolled her eyes and spun around. As she approached the gate, she heard the stomps of his feet behind her.

'Octavia, wait!' Tyson stopped on the sidewalk when she turned around. Her eyes scanned his attire or lack thereof. He tightened the grey robe around him and cleared his throat. 'I—I just came out of the shower. The guys were over earlier and we swam, then Zuri and Sa—'

'I don't wanna' hear about your entire life story. What do you want?'

'I came to say that I'm sorry. I was a complete asshole. It's just... my sister has been through a lot and I get very protective when someone talks about her. I didn't want to believe what you said, but I visited Hayden a few days ago.

'I just mentioned your brother's name, and it's like a switch turned on in her... they were in love but no one knew. When he disappeared, no one believed her because no one knew a Nikolai Mora here. That's when my parents thought the worst, and so did I.'

'Reagan had nothing to do it. He was just in the wrong place at the wrong time.'

'I know, that's why they're doing an evaluation on Hayden.' He twirled the strap of his robe between his fingers and sighed, 'It feels like we made her depression worse in there.'

'Hopefully, she won't even need to be in there.'

'I hope so too.' He attempted a smile but let his lips fall into a line. He glanced behind her and pointed. 'I heard about your brother, Nikolai. I'm sorry, I didn't know.'

'I know, but is it so bad that our siblings are in love and have to suffer because of it? It's not their fault they met one day and fell for each other.'

'I don't know what to do. It's not like we can let them see each other.'

'You can start by making amends with the people you've known longer than you've known me.' Octavia picked up her bag and shrugged. "They deserve an apology more than I do. That way when my brother wakes up, and he wants to see Hayden, you'll be more welcoming toward him. Don't worry, he's the best.'

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

753K 47.7K 35
Formerly known as Hall of Fame / Peyton loves baseball. Losing his ace pitcher brother turned Santiago away from the game. Can she make him fall for...
658 121 14
Jasmina, a 16-year-old girl, moved to Stockholm after an incident with her horse-left her in a wheelchair. But that's not the only challenge she face...
3.7K 824 29
My name is Ainsley Morris I'm 17 years old and am a junior in high school. I only have one secret that I keep from my best friend Lola Colt. That se...
7.6K 188 12
Valentina Cabello is just your typical, drunken ass, smoking, 18 year old. She has slept with more guys than you can imagine. Every weekend: new part...