Infection

By PeterMorrinsville

It starts with a simple itch, nothing more. Maybe a few random spasms or the occasional shudder but you'll th... More

Writers Comments
Prologue
Chapter 1 - Late
Chapter 2 - Strange Times
Chapter 3 - Train Wreck
Chapter 4 - No Accident
Chapter 5 - Finally Leaving
Chapter 6 - Beginning of the End
Chapter 7 - Day Trip
Chapter 8 - Shopping Spree
Chapter 9 - The Camp
Chapter 10 - The Twins
Chapter 12 - She Heard Everything
Chapter 13 - Into The Heavens
Chapter 14 - The Game
Chapter 15 - Open the Gate
Chapter 16 - Nightmares
Chapter 17 - A Cold Wet Day
Chapter 18 - A Golden Dawn
Chapter 19 - The Loot
Chapter 20 - Small Town Girl
Chapter 21 - Alone
Chapter 22 - Like Father, Like Daughter
Chapter 23 - Over the Roof
Chapter 24 - Till Dusk
Chapter 25 - Recovery
Chapter 26 - Dead or Alive
Chaper 27 - Bedding Down
Chapter 28 - Inferno
Chapter 29 - At Bay
Chapter 30 - Knuckles
Chapter 31 - Raining Cars
Chapter 32 - River
Chapter 33 - Coffee Table
Chapter 34 - Fighting to survive
Chapter 35 - A Will to Live
Chapter 36 - Sickened
Chapter 38 - Reunion
Chapter 39 - From Bellow
Chapter 40 - Changed
Chapter 41 - A Dark Room
Chapter 42 - Masks
Chapter 43 - The Woman With the Red Lipstick
Chapter 44 - Humanity
Chapter 45 - Playful Mind
Chapter 46 - Dazed
Chapter 47 - Back Again
Chapter 48 - Watched
Chapter 49 - Darwin's Law
Chapter 50 - Mental War
Chapter 51 - Casino and Snow
Chapter 52 - Yellow Eyes
Chapter 53 - Stabbed
Chapter 54 - A Dance With The Devils Daughter
Chapter 55 - Back Stabbed (END OF BOOK 1)

Chapter 11 - Sitting by the fire

7.8K 474 83
By PeterMorrinsville

We spend the next several hours wasting away under the sun doing laps of the field and various other workouts that left muscles sour that I didn't even know I had. It didn't help that 'Sir' liked to shout and always had an insult or two up his sleeve. Don't get me wrong he's good at what he does but he could do it a little nicer.

By the time four hours where up we where stumbling back to are tents groaning in pain, the only people who seemed to have lived where Elliot and Lydia.

"Eeerrrr, forget what I said earlier, that was torture," Eve complained, resting her head on my shoulder as we stumbled back down the track.

"You hungry?"

She half laughed half snorted, "food that is really all you think about."

"Well I'm always hungry, I'll see if we can get a fire going when we get back, make some beans."

"Make some bean hu? You remember earlier..." she said taking her head off my shoulder, there was that twinkle again!

"Yeah?"

"How can they do this to use! Not interrupting are we?" It was, surprise surprise, the twins.

"Just a bit and because they can... it will do you some good!" Eve replied sharply.

"You calling me fat punk?!"

"Who even says punk?" Eve butted in, sounding slightly annoyed.

"Touchy, I can't feel anything at all in my legs, they've gone all numb!"

"And where gonna have to sleep on a hard floor tonight," the other finished.

"Well if you're so numb you won't be able to feel it." Eve continued.

The Twins complained all the way back, they didn't seem to get Eves hints much to her displeasure but they finally stopped when we got inside, turning there attention to Jamie.

"Does anyone know how to get a fire going?" James asked carrying an arm full of wood into the tent.

"We got any matches?" I asked.

"Think there's some in the box."

Lumbering to my feet I shuffled over too where we'd left it and started rifling through the box, picking up the a large pan and all the cans of beans while I was at it. "Got some! Take it we're cooking dinner?"

"If you can call heating up 10 cans of beans then yes."

"We gonna use all of them?" I questioned, walking out side. "Because some of the girls are only going to eat like half a can, might as well only put 7 in and leave the rest."

"We can always heat it up separately, yeah I don't mind."

We started to pile up the wood he had fetched and used some off the smaller bits of kindle to get a small fire going. After 8 years of having a wood burner at home you get pretty good at starting fires.

Everyone soon started to join us outside as the fire blazed up and the sun sank lower and lower. I could see other fires starting to pop up around the field until It looked like the stars had fallen from the sky.

When the fire had finally settled down we began to crack open the cans of beans and poor them into the large pot which we ended up balancing it on top of the fire. That was probably not how you where supposed to do it but we were hungry and sleepy.

I can go get some water for hot chocolate and tea if you want." Lydia suggested.

"I could do with a hot chocolate, they in the box?" I asked.

"Yeah, I saw them earlier."

" I'll help " Elliot quickly added.

"If you want, grab a pot."

And they were off hunting for the nearest water point.

"They got a thing going?" Sophie asked.

"He's been flirting with her all day!" The gossip queens answered.

"Thinks she's falling for him though," the other continued.

"You two always this gossipy?" Sophie questioned.

"Got to do something, this place doesn't offer up much entertainment."

"So what's your story then, before all this and how come you haven't heard or seen much of these infected?"

"We lived in the country, not too far from Lincoln. We had a nice place; Dad was a manger at Seamen's, quite high up so not too bad. We only heard about the outbreak over the news."

"What about school?"

"Private but not much happened there, it just closed all of a sudden and then the next think we know the military come knocking on the door dragging us here."

"Your parents here?"

"Dad was at work and mum was out. Haven't seen them since...what about you then Sophie."

"I'm at university studying forensics; first time I dealt with these thinks it was my boyfriend. We were at a party, you know Friday night, few beers here and there and at first I thought it was the alcohol getting to his head...he starts beating up this kid, first year, and he just keeps hitting him harder and harder, I'm trying to drag him away but then he just turns around and knocks me clean out. Next thing I know I'm in an ambulance with concussion and I latter got told he threw himself out of the window, 6th floor of a flat," her face could of been carved from stone.

"Well that esca..."

I elbowed the twin In side, "I'm so sorry."

"No no it's okay I think we've all lost some one here, at least he didn't end up like the freaks running around outside the fence. What about you James."

"Me? Well nothing that drastic. I worked at Starbucks so if you guys ever what a coffee I'm your man. Any way we had a guy suddenly break out in a seizure and then the next day anther, they had to close the place because they bought it was the coffee. Probably a good thing they did. Got evacuated couple of days later."

"Water any body?" The two where back, both looking quite flushed for some reason.

"Just put it next to the fire; well heat it up after the beans." I said. "So what's your story then Lydia."

"My story?"

"Your life before all this."

"Oh nothing special, I was at collage studying Sports, was a runner."

"Think we all know you can run!"

"Been doing it since I was a kid, never thought I'd take it so far."

"Grubs up people!" The beans had started to bubble and I began spooning them into every ones bowls before they dug strait in, everyone was starving, it had been a long day.

"You know what, this isn't so bad," Eve said lying down and propping her head up on my legs.

I could see the Twins giving each other that look. "Well its only beans."

"No I meant camp."

"What life did you live before this!" James Joked.

"Not the best," she replied solemnly.

I look confusingly down on her but she didn't make eye contact. "Everyone looking forward to tomorrow then?"

"More torture and felling trees...yay," Sophie said sarcastically.

"Could be worse, well I think I'm gonna hit the sack early, gonna have to up at
7 to get breakfast and everything," Jamie started. "Anybody actually going for a run in the morning?"

"Think I will, it will help wake me up." I replied.

"I run every morning anyway so same."

"Well see you guys in the morning, night everyone."

There was a chorus of 'good nights' as she disappeared back into the tent. After that everyone slowly joined her, all tired from this afternoons torment. I stayed out and talked for a bit with David while Eve slowly fell asleep in my lap. The fire eventually burned low and I realized it would soon be curfew. "Eve wake up, time to go in," I whispered, nudging her awake. We were the last three too venture inside and settle down in the warmth off are sleeping bags.

"Seth," Eve whispered tiredly.

"Yeah," I replied. I could see her silhouette next to me.

"You remember that conversation you where having with the twins early?"

My heart skipped a beat.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

82K 5.8K 45
In a world overcome with disaster and chaos, Em sets out on a perilous journey to find safety. With only determination and perseverance to guide her...
5.1M 236K 41
(Book 1) In a world where a virus has spread turning most of the population into flesh eating monsters, there are two friends partying it up in New O...
61 0 1
A crippling illness sweeps across the entire world. Those lucky enough to survive the first wave must face difficult challenges as the virus continue...
263 42 13
❝In a world full of fiction and horrors, zombie apocalypse is something impossible. Or is it?❞ In a world where zombies were seen only in TV shows, m...