Sovereign (Silenced Part 2)

By XBlaireX

Rylan is stubborn. So is her mate. Sometimes fate isn't enough. Sometimes fate is so strong that there is no... More

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
Part 6.
Part 7
Part 8
Part 9
Part 10
Part 11
Part 12
Part 13
Part 14
Part 15
Part 16
Part 17
Part 18
Part 19
Part 20
Part 21
Part 22
Part 23
Part 24
Part 25
Part 26.
Part 27.
Part 28
Part 29.
Part 30.
Part 31
Part 32
Part 33.
Part 34.
Part 36
Part 37.
Part 38.
Part 39
Part 40.
Part 41.
Part 42.
Part 43

Part 35.

20.4K 753 83
By XBlaireX

I still felt nauseous as I headed out of the bathroom. 

I'd underestimated the stress level of being an Alpha which was surprising considering I'd already assumed it would be intense. 

There were just so many people, so many lives, effected by every little decision I had to make. It was overwhelming and my body was throwing a constant tantrum about being away from our mate. The combination of stress, absence, and hormones leaving my system gave me what Matthew could only describe as a variation of the human flu. Pukey, sweaty, achy, and exhausted.

All of that went away with the rush of adrenaline I received at hearing Emily's scream from the living room. I didn't even bothering picking up the book that'd flown out of my hands before rushing in to see what was wrong.

Matthew, Adam, and several other fighters had entered the room as well. There was an unknown wolf inside the pack house. They moved to surround the rogue and contain him. 

The wolf growled but in a strange almost taunting way. His familiar hazel eyes shifted to me, completely ignoring the fighters that surrounded him.

I raised an eye brow at the wolfs subtle smirk. 

In a flash he evaded the fighters and closed in behind me. My eyes snapped shut and I grabbed ahold of the link that radiated off of him. Fortunately for him I recognized the connection and held my hand up to halt the fighters that thought to rush to my aid.

~ You do know it's customary to call before a visit, right?~ I asked throwing Alexanders previous greeting back at him.

The wolf behind me snorted. 

A harsh snapping and cracking alerted me that he was shifting back into a human and I kept my eyes forward having no desire to see Alexander naked.

~Jace, please grab Alpha Thane a pair of shorts or something.~ I sighed to one of the other fighters in the room.

"Holy fuck Xane. You damn near gave Adam a heart attack popping in here like that. We've never seen your wolf before." Emily breathed out. Adam did have a hand clutched over his chest but I was pretty sure Emily had been equally terrified a moment ago. We all had. 

"Good. Maybe next time he'll be prepared to actually protect you when there is a threat." Xane said.

The fighter reappeared and tossed Alexander a pair of shorts. I gave him a moment to pull them on before finally turning to face him.

~What are you doing here?~ I asked.

"Perhaps I was testing you on Silas's behalf. Based on how easily I could have killed you I'd say it's a fail." Xane said folding his arms in front of him and leaning against the wall.

~Perhaps you are underestimating how quickly I could have killed you.~ I said back with my own solid glare.

The edge of Xane's mouth quirked up and he tilted his head.

"Oh really?" He asked still amused.

~Yes. Really. I'm already inside your head. How much damage do you think I could do before you'd get the chance to sink your teeth into anyone here?~ I asked.

"Is that your plan for the council then? They've arrived with a small army which is what I've come to warn you about." He said. "They do not intend to pretend this will be a fair or reasonable trial. They're here for blood and they're here for you."

~I'm ready for them.~ I said and I was. I'd made all the preparations for the spell. All I needed now was the room cleared, the council here, and a few minutes to cast.

"You'd better be." Xane said.

His words were followed by a heavy knock that made everyone else in the room tense. Xane tilted his head toward the door. His eyes never once leaving mine as he assessed me. I took a deep breath, turned, and nodded to Adam. As my technical beta he would be the only person, besides Emily, that could speak to them for me.

"Good Afternoon, I am Councilor Blake. You should have received notice of our pending investigation and inspection." A older, no nonsense voice said from the other side of the door.

"We did." Adam confirmed. "However, we were informed you would be here some time next week."

"An error I'm sure." Another new voice said. 

I could practically feel Xane rolling his eyes behind me. We all knew that their little "mix up" with the dates had been deliberate. They wanted to catch us off guard and unprepared. Fortunately we'd been prepared for that.

"We would like to speak with your Alpha. May we come in?" The first asked.

Adam glanced over at me and I gave him a firm nod. Cooperation was key. The less suspicious we seemed the smoother this entire thing would go. If nothing else we had to be careful, for the pack.

"Rylan is the acting Alpha, while Silas is away." Adam explained as people filed into the now cramped living room. Of the seven only two appeared to be in finer clothes. Which meant five fighters and only two council members. The rest had to be outside or waiting somewhere else. I'd have to wait to cast my spell. 

"Ryan Avi?" One of the first men that entered asked. He had dark hair with a few silver streaks throughout and equally dark eyes.

"Yes." Adam confirmed with an open handed gesture toward me.

The man gave me a thorough once over. His scowl oozed disapproval and contempt.

"Rylan Avi has charges pending due to her rogue status. She is not a permissible Alpha and there for will not be acknowledged as such. Do you have another?" He asked with that same no nonsense tone. 

I ground my teeth together but Alexanders touch on my arm reminded me that Silas wouldn't want me to lose my temper. It wasn't good for my plan or any thing else going on here. 

"That would be me." Emily said clearing her throat and stepping forward.

"Emily Avi?" He asked giving her the same assessing once over. Though I wouldn't have thought it possible his contempt and disapproval seemed to grow.

"Yes." She said.

"How long have you been acting Alpha?" He asked.

Emily glanced over to me and then we both looked over at Xane. His scowl was surprisingly harsh which only confirmed that this was some kind of verbal trap. Still Emily had to answer and the truth was better than trying to get out of a lie later on.

"Two months, give or take a few days." She said.

"So you were in command when Willow pack moved in on the Shadow Tree pack?" He asked.

"What?" Emily asked. "NO. We didn't move in on anyone." She said.

"Were you or were you not in charge when your fighters moved into another Alpha's territory without permission?" The councilman asked.

"I- I was but-" Emily started.

"Emily Avi, you are being detained for breaking the treaty between allied packs without pretense or cause. You will be tried accordingly and processed for war crimes and potential treason." The councilman said.

The room moved quickly into action. Several of the councilman's accomplices moved to detain Emily while our fighters, myself included, moved to defend her. They couldn't take Emily. I wouldn't allow it and neither would our fighters.

"Stop." Xane's command stilled nearly everyone in the room but it was his grasp on my arm that stilled me.

"These charges won't hold and you know it. Even so there is a clear line of succession here. Adam is the next in charge and if you deem him unworthy. I am also present and as per a treaty Alpha Brogan, Alpha Callum, and I signed I am able to accept the role as a temporary Alpha." Xane said surprising me. Suddenly his presence here made perfect sense. THis was exactly what Silas had been worried about my first few days in Willow pack. They'd planned for this and I was so thankful for it. 

"If Emily has broken a treaty it was without the consent or knowledge of the other officials here. Therefore, as the officials of Willow Pack we retain the right to try a pack member before you are able to pursue additional charges." Xane explained carefully. His words were well chosen and concise. It reminded me almost of how easily Silas was able to take charge and lead as well.  

"You wish to pursue charges against Mrs. Avi?" The councilman asked turning to Adam.

Adam's eyes shot over to me.

I gave another firm nod. If Xane thought this was the safest way to handle things and Silas thought Xane was safe then I'd have to trust that.

"Very well. You may detain her." He dismissed Adam.

Adam glanced around the room uncomfortably but placed his hand on Emily's back and led her from the room. The second they were out of sight my shoulders relaxed. They were safe. For now at least.

"Alexander..." The councilman with the grey streaks drawled.

"Blake..." Xane drawled back but with a touch of annoyance.

"What are you doing here?" Blake asked.

"Visiting." Xane shrugged with a taunting smile.

"Convenient of you considering you are also the last fail safe keeping Willow pack from being appointed a new Alpha." Blake said.

"Perhaps, if you are unable to accept Adam as the acting Alpha but I do not fore see such unfortunate circumstances." Alexander shrugged.

Blake gave him a long unimpressed glare before finally shifting his attention to me.

"Ms. Avi, on to you I suppose. Have you had any contact with the previous Alpha here, Silas Brogan?" Blake asked.

"Not since his resignation." Thane supplied for me.

"He was not speaking to you." The other councilor snapped.

"Perhaps not Henry but in case your spies are lacking then you should already know that Rylan cannot speak." Thanes said with far more heat than he'd directed at Blake a moment ago.

"If that is so, how does she communicate?" Henry demanded.

"Sign language." Thane said openly rolling his eyes again. So Xane didn't want me to use my abilities to communicate with the council. I'd suspected as much but having confirmation of my decision was nice. 

"How convenient for me, I am quite fluent in sign language." Blake said giving Xane a predatorial smirk that made my stomach knot up.

They all turned back to look at me and I fought back the urge to gulp or puke, again.

"Now Ms.Avi have you had any contact with Brogan since his resignation?" Blake asked.

'No.' I signed sticking to Xane's lie just to be safe.

"Are you quite sure of that?" Henry asked. "Lying to a council member is treason."

'I'm sure.' I signed feeling the urge to follow Xane's example and roll my eyes as well. I didn't but it took a lot more effort than I wanted to admit.

"She is." Blake translated.

"Then how is it you bare his mark, yet appear to be in the very early stage of child bearing? Are you to tell me that you've been with another while your mate was away? Because let me tell you Ms. Avi you reek of hormones and the underlying scent is very much and solely Silas Brogans." Henry said.

"What?" Alexander growled. Apparently he'd been able to process Councilor Henry's words much faster than I could. My brain refused to catch up to what he was saying. Child bearing? Hormones? No. No. No. This couldn't be happening.

"That's not possible!" I signed.

"Ahh perhaps but that is nothing we cannot remedy with a test but Henry's sense of smell is perhaps the most advanced of our species so I can assure you, test or not, he is not wrong." Blake said. 

"You may wish to reconsider your answers Ms. Avi. After the others arrive we will return with our physician and when he confirms your pregnancy you will be taken into custody. Impeding an investigation, harboring a fugitive, and perjury are all treasonous crimes as you well know." Henry said and gestured for his fighters to lead the way out of the pack house. .

I shook my head to shell shocked to speak. He had to be wrong. This couldn't be happening. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

18.4K 724 34
**Not edited.** A mere human, being adopted by wolves is but one of many unique surprises surrounding Kay. When suddenly a fierce Alpha appears, foll...
28.5K 2.2K 43
*Book 4 of the Destined Series* Everything that Ryleigh once considered to be certain is pulled into question. From the loyalty of her friends and fa...
100 15 15
"If you want peace, prepare for war" - Freye Sometimes you don't get the privilege of making choices. It is either: walk through the fire and get out...
8.6K 789 66
Ryan King is an Alpha desperately trying to hold his pack together. Between the blood thirsty enemy packs wanting to take what's his, a council that...