Court of Nightmares and Ruin

Od jspruill1130

Don't get frostbitten while reading this dark, gripping, passionate retelling of Snow White. Icelyn, the pri... Více

Author Notes
Gregorian Map
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50

Chapter 18

4.5K 289 27
Od jspruill1130

Icelyn

A month passed before the smile returned to Jen's face, and the mischievous twinkle in her eyes reappeared. My heart broke all over again every time I saw her brokenness. Even though that rat had not succeeded in raping her, he stole something just as precious, her confidence and her happiness.

I turned over in bed and saw her beside me, smiling from ear to ear. "It's a beautiful day, isn't it?"

My heart was happy that she was happy, and I smiled back at her. Ever since the incident, she had been too afraid to sleep by herself, so I had a permanent roommate for the last month. Many of her nights were filled with terror, and I knew she relived the horrors she experienced in her nightmares every time she closed her eyes. When she was too restless, I called upon Kohl to chase away the horrors of her mind so she could rest.

Finally, about a week ago, Kohl informed me that he would no longer ease Jen's troubled mind. He told me she needed to process everything that had happened alone and that he was just pacifying her by taking away the pain. I yelled at him and told him he was an insensitive jerk for letting Jen suffer through this on her own, but as she looked at me now, reminding me of the old Jen I remembered, I had to admit that maybe he had been right. Not that I would stroke his ego by telling him so.

"It's going to be a good day, and we have much to do to prepare for tonight," Jen says as she hops out of bed.

"What's happening tonight?"

I got up and threw my training uniform on. I trained every day from sunup to sundown and was proud to admit I was doing well. I was starting to exceed my own instructors.

"You don't know what tonight is?" Jen looked at me, slacked jaw.

"Tonight is a full moon...The Night Realm has a moonlight feast every full moon!" Jen threw her hands up like she couldn't believe I didn't know such a thing.

"The Night Realm fae are at their peak, if ya know what I mean, under a full moon. These parties can get a little wild! I live for it!"

I laughed as Jen danced around the room in excitement. I didn't care what the occasion was as long as Jen was on the mend.

"Maybe you and Kohl will get together tonight." Jen winked at me.

My heart fluttered at the mention of his name. I hadn't seen him in about a week since our disagreement, and I had to admit, if only to myself, that I felt like a chunk of my heart was missing.

"Don't be silly." I shushed her as I walked into the hallway, searching for breakfast.

As I was about to enter the dining hall, Kohl rounded the corner.

"Once you have eaten, join me on the west end of the training field." He never stopped walking as he spoke to me and soon was out of sight.

Ok, that was weird.

After I ate, I went in search of Nero, saddled him, and headed towards the west end of the field like Kohl instructed. I couldn't figure out why he wanted me to meet him so far away from the rest of the group.

Nero swooped around and landed. I removed his bridle so he could gorge himself on the lush Night Realm grass he had come to love. Once he was taken care of, I walked towards Kohl, who was leaning against a tree trunk, watching my every move. My stomach summersaults as I approached him.

"What exactly are we doing here?" I stopped a few feet from him and crossed my arms over my chest.

"You have met the exceptions of your physical training; now we work on controlling your powers."

I was giddy with excitement. Finally!

Kohl pushed away from the tree and circled me. Despite the warm air, my skin broke out in goosebumps. Kohl motioned to a nearby bucket full of water.

"Freeze the water," he commanded. Really? That was too easy, but I don't argue.

I stepped towards the bucket, but Kohl's hand gripped my elbow and pulled me back. "Without touching it."

I looked from him to the bucket. Every time I froze something, It had been with physical contact. The only time I had frozen something without touching it was the night Jen was almost... I shuttered as the awful night replayed in my mind.

"Is there a problem?" Kohl taunted me.

I concentrated on the bucket of water, but nothing happened. Sweat beaded on my forehead. I was concentrating so hard, but try as I might, the water was still liquid.

"I can't do it. I have to touch the surface if you want me to freeze it," I whined.

"On the battlefield, do you intend to walk up to an enemy, tap them on the shoulder and ask them to hold still while you freeze them?" Kohl lifted an eyebrow.

He had a point, but that doesn't change the fact that I don't know how to do it. After standing there for a few more minutes with nothing happening, Kohl spoke up again.

"Your powers are connected to your emotions. Do I need to make you angry for you to succeed?"

"Your breathing makes me angry." I huffed, taking my frustration out on him.

He surprised me by grabbing both of my forearms and pulling me close.

"Close your eyes," he instructed, and I obeyed.

He released one of my arms but held me close with the other. I startled as one of his fingers touched my neck and slowly started gliding down my throat.

"Keep your eyes closed," he warned, and I swallowed the lump forming in my throat.

His intrusive finger continued down my throat, skirted my collarbone, and dipped between my breast, stopping above my heart.

"What do you feel?" His breath was warm against my cheek.

My body felt like it would ignite at any moment.

"Warmth. Desire," I answered honestly.

"Good, now reach past that."

I searched deep, never forgetting that his finger remained over my heart. I concentrated hard and could finally push aside everything, even Kohl, which was a significant feat, as tempting as he was. There it was. Deep within my emotions was a tether linking me to my powers. I grabbed onto it. My eyes opened immediately, and Kohl smiled and turned me back toward the bucket.

"Freeze the water," he asked again.

Still holding onto my powers tether, I reached my palm towards the bucket, demanding my powers to obey. The water in the bucket froze instantly. I squealed with delight and flung myself into Kohl's arms. He caught me and squeezed me tight.

His eyes were intense and threatened to swallow me whole. He edged towards me, and I stood on tiptoes to meet him. When our lips came together, it was like a bolt of electricity running through my body. Something inside of me snapped into place. Deep down, I knew I belonged to him, and he belonged to me. Kohl's tongue pushed past the seam of my lips, and I tasted him for the first time. Now that I had a taste, I wanted more.

"Good job, Snowflake." He pulled away and whispered against my lips. My heart fluttered uncontrollably, being in his arms, and my eyes started venturing back to his lips.

"Now impress me." He released me, and I admit I was not happy about it.

"Enclose us in a wall." He hooked his thumb in the waist of his pants, and I reheated all over again.

"I think you are expecting too much of me."

"And I think you do not expect enough of yourself."

I turned away from him and concentrated so he could not see the blush I felt spreading across my face.

I called to the water in the ground, demanding that it rise. The ground began to shake, and a circular ice wall instantly surrounded us. My mouth dropped open as I walked over to one side of the wall and placed my palm against the smooth, cold surface in disbelief.

"Thank you," I said honestly and turned back towards him.

"Don't thank me. This is all you. I just helped you realize what you are capable of. It will take a lot of work, but now that you know how to control your powers, you will have to train hard to stay on top of them."

I walked back towards him with my heart on my sleeve. I reached up and touched his cheek, the subtle on his face lightly scratching my palm.

"Why do I feel like this when I am around you? Why does my heart beat in sync with yours?" I had been dying to ask him that ever since I first laid eyes on him, and now with us completely alone, surrounded by my wall of ice, I felt brave enough to ask.

He exhaled and pulled my hand away from his face. A seriousness overtook his features that had me holding my breath.

"You are my true mate, the one that was molded and made just for me." He took a step back, which I found strange at this particular moment.

Shouldn't he be trying to get closer after such an admission? Deep down, I am not surprised. Something about him had called to me ever since I first saw him. Everything about him pleased me: his smell, features, taste, and, most importantly, his heart.

"Why didn't you tell me this sooner?" I asked, stepping towards him as he took another step back.

"There was no need..." I stopped moving, and my heart stopped beating.

"You...You intend to deny me?" I swallowed the emotions rising in my throat.

"I already have, Icelyn. I will never acknowledge you as my true mate or the Night Realm queen. I can't... If I do, everyone will know I have a weakness, and I cannot allow that."

"You can't mean that..."

I was on the verge of begging, which was far beneath me, but in this instant, I felt as if my heart would shatter, and he was the only thing that could hold it together.

"That's why I didn't tell you. It's pointless. You will be happy. We will remain by each other's sides until our dying day but as nothing more than lovers."

"You mean your whore?" I snarled as a tear slipped down my cheek.

"Call it what you will, but I have made peace with it. I suggest you do the same."

He disappeared from my sight, and I fell to my knees. I felt like he had reached into my chest, pulled my heart out, and crushed it beneath his boot.

Pokračovat ve čtení

Mohlo by se ti líbit

383K 26.2K 52
When Summer Princess Lumikki is offered to the Winter King as payment for a debt, the Winter court is dragged into chaos. Alone in a foreign land, wi...
135K 11.4K 105
Cole Glassad couldn't care less about the upcoming palace ball meant to find a wife for the prince. Her life is down in the dangerous Sparkstone mine...
310 51 16
**A Snow White Dark Fairytale Retelling** - - - - - - - - - - - Marion Price wished something exciting would happen during the long, hot, sluggish su...
1.2K 165 47
No one hates Snow White more than her younger half sister, Rosavere. Not since a star broke the world a thousand years ago and cursed humans with Gra...