Warren Beasts

By DPArgyle

Wrangling teenage emotions is hard enough on good days, but what if on bad days they could manifest as giant... More

Pregame
1: Hare's Breath
2: After School Duel
3: Cruel and Unusual Punishment
4: A Dream Deferred
5: Fortune Favors
6: Dawn of a New Era
7: There is Another
8: Winsor Worms @ Jupiter Jackalopes - Exhibition Game
9: Monsters at the Door
10: Benefits of the Benchpen
11: The Season Begins: Jupiter Jackalopes @ Dulcet Octopi
13: Bus Ride Conversations
14: Not Even in Church
15: Strategies, Special Projects, and Sons of Bitches
16: Betrayed by a Kiss
17: Bother Bears at Jupiter Jackalopes
18: Even
19: Rivers of Babylon
20: Nairobi
21: Jupiter Jackalopes @ Bridgewick Academy Argonauts
22: Newman
23: West Glancing Hammers @ Jupiter Jackalopes
24: Any Day of the Week
25: In the Meantime
26: Freephalia Thoroughbreds @ Jupiter Jackalopes
27: A Dream of Melody
28: Filigree Skyline @ Jupiter Jackalopes
29: Bus Ride Breakup
30: Jupiter Jackalopes @ Lake Zachary Howl
31: Princess Chastity Belt
32: Cast Off
33: Redbloom Comets @ Jupiter Jackalopes
34: Said and Unsaid
35: Jupiter Jackalopes @ Trumpet Falls Nephilim
36: On Her Own
37: Jupiter Jackalopes @ Birchside Barracuda
38: Skyscrape
39: Thanksgiving
40: Barleyburg Fireflies @ Jupiter Jackalopes
41: Good and Ready
42: Jupiter Jackalopes @ Trollwake Narwhals
43: Um. Actually...
44: In the Drink
45: Owl County Cup: Jupiter Jackalopes @ Dulcet Octopi
46: Wendy
47: Quarterfinals: Jupiter Jackalopes v. Bother Bears
48: Team Sports
49: Semifinals: Jupiter Jackalopes v. Trumpet Falls Nephilim
50: Vengeful Manifest
51: Atlas State Final: Jupiter Jackalopes v. Birchside Barracuda
52: In Tourneytub, as in Life
53: The Book of Genesis

12: Ghosts of Yesterday

21 5 18
By DPArgyle

Talia hated losing when she was the Jackalopes' starting thaumaturge.

Now that she's basically chained to the benchpen, she hates losing even more.

At least her head isn't pounding like it was even a week ago, though.

Right after the Dulcet game, the other Jackalope jockeys are all busy loading up their tubs into several burgundy eighteen wheelers, which will transport them back to Jupiter. Talia tries to pat her little brother on the back, but he barely seems to notice. He trundles over to Excalibur, shaking his head resignedly.

"I told Coach I'm no jockey." He says.

"You did your best." Talia says.

"My best is never good enough though, is it?" Artie shrugs, rolling off to load himself aboard the accessible ramp on their bus.

Talia doesn't really have a good answer for this.

She knows exactly how he feels.

Talia wanders off around Percival Moon Memorial Court. Slowly, as the night deepens, the Dulcet ground crew shuts off the floodlights, one by one, leaving the now strangely placid pool at the center of it all dark and abandoned.

But Talia isn't really interested in hobbling around in her crutches by the pool. No, she's more interested in exploring the outside structures of the court. She may hate the Dulcet Octopi with the fire of a thousand suns, which is almost a requirement for every Jackalope jockey, but she can't help loving parts of this place, particularly the open air Percival Moon Memorial Museum.

Tourneytub was partly invented here, after all.

Talia reaches the museum, which is essentially made up of a few tall stone blocks. This area has always reminded her a little bit of Stonehenge, but cleaner. More formal. Straighter angles. With the moon bouncing over the stone, filling the whole space with an eerie luminescence; nature's own floodlight. And on the blocks are pictures with little paragraphs beside them, outlining the development of the sport Talia loves so much. The sport that, now she can't play it, leaves what feels like a gigantic spear permanently stuck through her side.

Still, Talia keeps swinging her crutches along the pathway winding through the museum. All she hears is the click click click of her metal supports striking the carefully planned paving stones beneath her feet. Talia passes a block outlining the formation of the American Humor Pacification Brigade Alliance, featuring a faded picture of FDR signing the bill into law as part of the New Deal. She ignores this one, but a smooth block a few hundred paces away catches her eye.

It always manages to catch her eye. It's designed this way.

She hopes it will give her some inspiration. She could really use some right about now.

Talia sits down on the bench facing the block. She rests her crutches beside her and begins to stretch out her legs. She clasps her hands before her, twiddling her thumbs in the soft autumn breeze.

The block rising before her boasts a large picture of the man himself: Percival Moon, founder of the Dulcet Octopi, and Chairman of the Board when they wrote down the first rulebook for what would soon become tourneytub. It was Moon who realized the HPBs needed to be trained so they could better combat the blight of humors worldwide. It was Moon who came up with tourneytub to train them. The sport has come a long way since then, of course, but it still retains much of the roots he first grew into it, more than a hundred years ago.

Talia's mind slips back into the here and now. She tries to find some peace, but the frustrations of watching uselessly from the sidelines tonight as her team lost for the second time in a row is simply too much for her. Instead, she tries to focus on something simpler, like the way the real moon is shining over the portrait of Moon at this very moment. It makes his dark skin, so much like hers, shimmer in the brisk night. His dazzling smile stares down at her, inscrutable.

Of all the times Talia has visited the Percival Moon block here, this is without question the hardest.

Before, Moon's smile was a comfort. Now it's just become a taunt.

Talia suddenly has the brief but very intense urge to throw a rock at his face, but she doesn't want to get in even more trouble with the Atlas High School Tourneytub Association than she already is. The urge quickly passes.

Talia is grateful, but something in her chest still heaves.

She tries to ignore it.

"Hey," a tentative voice breaks through the shadows, "may I join you?"

Talia turns.

A gawky silhouette materializes from the gloom.

Peter hasn't been watching Talia for very long, but he's still able to recognize her own disappointment. It is a twin to his.

The way she slumps her shoulders. The way she keeps sighing. The way her eyes stretch up to gaze into the ageless visage of Percival Moon, as if to beg him for some sort of sign or forgiveness or encouragement or something, anything, to make it all feel better somehow. But nothing is going to make it all feel better. Both Talia and Peter know this. They also both know all either of them is going to get from Percival Moon tonight is that endless static smile.

Peter Donkersmit shivers in the starlight.

"We've got the tubs all loaded up in the trailers and we're ready to roll. The others are waiting for you on the bus." He says.

Talia nods in reply. Still, she doesn't make a move. Not yet. Somehow, Peter understands. He takes a seat on the bench beside her, stuffing his hands inside the comfortable front pocket of his well-loved hoodie. As usual, he almost disappears inside it.

Talia and Peter sit like this, together, in silence, for a few minutes.

Then Peter breaks it.

"I'm sorry." He says, his words barely above a whisper.

Talia's brown eyes finally show concern for someone other than herself. "Sorry for what?"

"f-f-For being me, I guess. For not being a good enough thaumaturge. I'm messing up the season so badly." Peter says.

"This was only the first official game. Hardly the whole season, Pete." Talia says. Though even she knows her words ring hollow.

"Still. This was supposed to be your banner year. You were supposed to lead the Jackalopes and be amazing and-"

"And then I screwed up. You don't have to remind me." Talia hangs her head, running her hands over her cornrows. It's easier than looking him in the eyes. The specter of Percival Moon still smiles down on her. Peter quickly rubs her arm, squeezing her shoulder. He's been friends with Artie for so long, at this point, Talia is basically his big sister too.

"No! That's not what I meant! Not at all! All I meant was, you're so much better at this- At thaumaturgy, than I could ever hope to be. I'm just sorry I'm disappointing everyone. Disappointing you." Peter says.

No sooner have these words escaped his mouth, Talia raises her head, faces him, grabs him fiercely by his own shoulders, and kisses him gently on top of his forehead.

"You have not disappointed me, Pete. At all. I disappointed myself. But that's on me. That's not on you. I'm not better than you. Not anymore. You are the best thaumaturge on this team. Today and tomorrow. So I never want to hear you put yourself down like that again, capiche?" Her eyes blaze, her own brow furrows. It's almost like she's back out on the court.

Peter nods dumbly. "Yes ma'am. Capiche." He doesn't know what else to say. He's still too overwhelmed by her words. They echo around in his head as he helps Talia walk with her crutches back to the Jupiter bus and trailer convoy.

For once, though, it's a good echo.

***

Photo courtesy of Amit Talwar on Unsplash: https://unsplash.com/@amit_8. Edited.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

536 58 27
With two new members joining the family, William decides to ruin Endeavor even more and Izura's having a tough time as she keeps falling asleep in sc...
28.7K 1K 19
Sneegsnag ran through his tunnels to find a strange portal! he jumps in because of donation. now his life is in chaos! fell from the sky, them almos...
125K 8.3K 55
Five Star Reviews for Atlantis Academy: "Omg this book was amazing I couldn't put it down or stop reading. I carried it with me open on my phone whil...
12.8K 405 32
"You love me" "No I don't" "Yes you do" "I don't" "Max, come on, you know you do. You have thing for me" "You're weird" "I know and you are in love w...