This Is The Moment (9-1-1: Lo...

By ChloeOgradyXo

Avery Kate Strand is the daughter of Owen Strand and half-sister of T.K strand. Avery has always lived with h... More

COMING SOON!
TRIGGER WARNINGS
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
BONUS CONTENT
Survey {CLOSED}
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
BONUS CONTENT - Avery's Music
New Cover????
Chapter Twenty-One
BONUS CONTENT - T.K. x Avery texts
Chapter Twenty-Two
BONUS CONTENT - Some of Avery's fave books
Chapter Twenty-Three
BONUS CONTENT - Meet Jason Anderson!
Chapter Twenty-Four
BONUS CONTENT - Avery's Aesthetic
Chapter Twenty - Five
BONUS CONTENT - Avery's Reading Wrap Up
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
BONUS CONTENT - Avery's fave romances
NEW COVER... yes... again
Chapter Thirty-One
BONUS CONTENT - Avery's fave music artists
Chapter Thirty-Two
BONUS CONTENT - Avery's current reads
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
SEQUEL ANNOUNCEMENT
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight
BONUS CONTENT - deleted scene
Chapter Thirty-Nine
bonus content - deleted scenes, averys dark humor edition
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty-One
Chapter Forty-Two
Chapter Forty-Three
Chapter Forty-Four
Chapter Forty-Five
FULL SEQUEL ANNOUCMENT
Chapter Forty-Six
Chapter Forty-Seven
Chapter Forty-Eight
Chapter Forty-Nine
Chapter Fifty
The books in the story!
Sequel time!!

Chapter Six

4.8K 83 27
By ChloeOgradyXo

It's the next morning. Avery wakes up still on the couch in Owen's office. She sits up and sees Owen sat at his desk.

'Did you have a good sleep?' He asks.

'Yeah.' Avery yawns as she stretches.

'Good.' Owen smiles. 'Why don't you get yourself freshened up and get yourself something to eat and then I want to speak to you about something.'

'Okay.' Avery nods and stands up. She picks up her backpack which has a spare change of clothes in and heads to the washroom. She has a quick wash before getting changed into her fresh set of clothes. She then brushes her hair and pulls it into a messy bun before doing her usual everyday make-up look. She walks through to the locker room and puts her bag on top of one of the lockers before walking to the kitchen where T.K. and Judd are stood talking. 'Morning.' She smiles.

'Morning.' They both smile back.

'How are you feeling?' T.K. asks his sister.

'Good.' Avery smiles. 'I've processed everything so I guess that's a good sign.'

'Just promise me that you won't bottle up any feelings.' T.K. says to her.

'I promise.' Avery nods as she prepares a bowl of cereal. She takes a spoon out of the drawer, sits at the table and starts eating.

After breakfast, she washes up and walks back up to Owen's office. She knocks on the door to make sure he's not in a meeting.

'Come in.' She hears him shout. She opens the door and walks in, closing it behind her. 'Did you get something to eat?' He asks her as she sits down.

'Yeah.' Avery nods.

'Good.' Owen smiles.

'What did you want to talk about?' Avery asks.

'Therapy.' Owen states.

'Therapy?' Avery raises an eyebrow.

'You're showing signs of PTSD.' Owen says. 'I just want you to be speaking to someone - a professional - about it. About your feelings. I don't want you feeling or thinking that- that erm-'

'That hurting myself or suicide is the only option.' Avery finishes for him.

'Yeah.' Owen nods.

'I'll do it.' Avery sighs. 'If it's what you want, I'll do it.'

'But is it what you want?' Owen queries.

'Having those thoughts was scary.' Avery says. 'Mom didn't know what was going on. She thought it was just me being a "teenager" or whatever.' She air quotes the word "teenager". She sits forwards in her chair. 'I didn't have anyone to talk to back in L.A. - that would have helped. You've seen a change in my behaviour, mom never did. So yes, I want to do therapy.'

'I'll get you set up with one.' Owen nods.

.

It has been a few weeks. Avery has started her therapy and so far, even though she's only had two sessions, things are going good. Megan has been seeing T.K. a lot more and as a result, she and Avery have become good friends. It's a Saturday afternoon. Megan and Avery have been spending the day together. Since it's a nice day, they are sitting on the grass in the park. Two women walk by with a stroller, clearly a couple. Avery and Megan smile at them and they smile back.

'That's disgusting.' They hear. The two women stop and turn their attention to a middle-aged man sat on the bench. After a moment, they continue walking. Avery and Megan also look at him briefly before returning to their conversation. 'Y'know, that kid's gonna be pretty messed up.' The man calls after the women. This time, they don't bother stopping. 'A child deserves a mom and a dad. Not two moms. Or two dads for that matter.' Avery spins around glares at the man.

'Why don't you keep your opinions to yourself?' Avery suggests as she stands up and walks closer to the man. The man stands up.

'Why should I?' The man asks. 'It's disgusting. Unnatural.'

'It's not unnatural.' Avery scoffs. 'It's a beautiful, wonderful thing. There is nothing wrong with being gay, or bisexual, pansexual. Someone's sexuality doesn't define them as a person.' By now, Megan has joined them.

'You're obviously delusional.' The man laughs. 'People like them deserve to rot in hell.'

'Are you kidding me?!' Avery exclaims. 'You're the disgusting one. It's the 21st century. Get with it!'

'Why are you defending them?' The man asks curiously. 'You don't know.'

'It doesn't matter if I don't know them.' Avery says, trying to stay calm.

'Come on Avery.' Megan states, trying to pull Avery away but Avery shakes her off.

'Why don't you learn a bit more about the community before you mouth off about it.' Avery says.

'Avery, please, let's just go. He's not worth it.' Megan says. They then hear sirens approaching; Megan notices that there is a small audience and realises someone must have called the police. 'Avery, come on, that will be cops.'

'I don't really care at this point.' Avery scoffs.

'You should.' The man smirks. A few minutes later, Megan sees Carlos approaching them with a few other officers and sighs, rubbing her eyebrow. They disperse the crowd.

'What's going on?' Carlos asks.

'This girl just walked over to me and started harassing me.' He tells Carlos and the officers.

'That is not what happened.' Avery says, frustrated, not taking her eyes off the man.

'Here's what we're going to do.' Carlos starts. 'Sir, you are going to stay here and talk to my colleagues, I will take the girls aside and talk to them.' He finishes. He then motions for Avery and Megan to follow him. Once they are far enough from the man Carlos asks, 'what happened?'

'He was being a homophobic dickhead.' Avery sighs as she folds her arms. 'That's what happened.' Carlos looks at Megan for more information. Megan goes on to explain. 'How would you have reacted?' Avery asks Carlos once Megan has finished. 'Would you have stood by and watched as someone berated someone else for their sexuality or gender. Or you, for that matter?' Carlos stays silent.

'You didn't need to say something.' Megan speaks up. Avery looks at her. 'You could have kept quiet. If those women could ignore it you-'

'No.' Avery shakes her head. 'I couldn't ignore it.' She turns back to Carlos. 'I can't ignore comments like that.' Tears threaten to escape from her eyes. 'I've seen T.K. be at the receiving end of comments like that.' She adds. 'I've seen how it's affected him.'

'Does T.K. ignore comments like that?' Carlos questions.

'Yes,' Avery nods, 'but that's not the point, 'I've had comments like that.' She continues. Realising that she's just outed herself, she looks to the ground.

'Right.' Carlos states, clearly disgusted with the man. 'Wait here.' He tells the two girls before walking off to speak to the man and his colleagues. After speaking with the man and his colleagues, he returns to Avery and Megan.

'The man has been given an official caution.' Carlos informs them. 'If he gets caught like this again, he'll be facing charges.' He then looks at Megan. 'Can you give us a few minutes alone.'

'Sure.' Megan nods. She walks off so she can't hear the conversation.

'I could tell that you didn't mean to out yourself.' Carlos tells her softly. 'I take it your dad and T.K. don't know that you're-?'

'Gay.' Avery finishes for him, knowing that he doesn't want to assume her sexuality, 'and no. They don't.' She shakes her head.

'You know they'll accept you for who you are. Don't be afraid.' Carlos reassures her.

'I know.' Avery nods. 'It's just,' she takes a deep breath, 'it's just the last time that I came out to someone, I was attacked. I had some stuff stolen and then after that, I was bullied. Those two combined triggered an eating disorder and one day, someone sent me some messages, threatening messages - that was the day I attempted suicide.' Carlos looks at her sympathetically. 'That's why I reacted the way I did. After that day, after my attempt, anything I have seen or witnessed that has been homophobic has pushed me over the edge.'

'Come here.' Carlos sighs as he brings her in for a hug. Ever since they met, they have become close. They both hug. 'It's okay. It's okay to be scared but you don't have to be.' They part. 'If anyone bothers you because of your sexuality or if you ever feel like you are in danger; you can always come to come. Always.'

'Thanks.' Avery smiles.

'I'm not going to tell you that you have to come out to your dad and T.K but remember what I said. They'll accept you.' Carlos tells her. 'They love you no matter what.' Avery smiles and nods. 'Come on, I'll drop Megan home and take you to the station.'

'Okay.' Avery nods. They both walk over to where Megan is waiting.

'Hey, I'm sorry if I was insensitive when I said you could have ignored it. I didn't know-' Megan starts to apologise.

'It's okay.' Avery cuts her off. 'You didn't want us to get into trouble.'

'Do you want to talk about it?' Megan queries.

'Not really.' Avery shakes her head. 'Soon though.'

'Come on.' Carlos motions for the girls to follow him. 'Let's go.'

.

After dropping Megan off at home, Carlos drives Avery to the 126.

'What are you going to tell T.K. about you dropping me off?' Avery asks Carlos.

'I'll just say that I drove past you and offered you a lift.' Carlos states. 'Technically it's true.' He adds with a laugh. They both walk into the station and see Mateo cleaning the handles of the truck.

'Hey, Matteo.' Avery smiles.

'Hey.' Matteo smiles back as he stands up straight. 'You here to see your dad?'

'Yeah,' Avery nods, 'but I want to speak to T.K. first.'

'He's in the gym.' Matteo replies pointing in the direction of the gym.

'Thanks.' Avery smiles. Avery and Matteo walk to the gym. When they walk in they see that T.K. is doing some pull-ups.

Avery looks at Carlos and sees that his mouth is open.

'You've got a bit a drool.' Avery jokes. Carlos closes his mouth and looks at Avery. 'Right there.' Avery points to the right corner of her mouth.

'You're funny.' Carlos smiles sarcastically. When T.K. hears them, he stops doing his workout, wipes his face and chest and puts his tank top and chain on.

'Hey.' He grins as he walks over to them. He kisses Carlos and hugs Avery.

'Ew.' Avery pushes his away playfully. 'You're all sweaty.' She adds causing T.K. and Carlos to laugh.

'What brings you two here?' T.K. asks.

'I wanted to speak to you and dad.' Avery says.

'I was driving around and drove past her so I offered her a lift.' Carlos says. 'I better get out on patrol.'

'Thanks for driving me.' Avery smiles.

'Any time.' Carlos smiles. They hug and Carlos kisses T.K. once more before leaving.

'I think dad is in the kitchen.' T.K. goes to start walking to Owen's office.

'Actually.' Avery stops him. He turns back to face her. 'I wanted to speak to you separately.'

'Okay.' T.K. says slowly, clearly nervous. He sits down on of the benches whilst Avery stays standing.

'It's nothing bad.' Avery reassures him. 'I promise.'

'Whatever it is, you can tell me.' T.K. tells her.

'I know.' Avery nods. 'It was my therapist, and Carlos, that kinda encouraged me to do this.' She continues. 'I'm gay.' A smile creeps over T.K.'s face as he stands up.

'Ave.' He walks over to her. 'Straight, gay, bi, trans... we love you for who you are.'

'I know.' Avery nods. T.K. brings her in for another hug. 'Eurgh. I'm gonna stink of sweat now.'

'I don't care.' T.K. laughs. 'I'm proud of you for coming out.' He adds as they part. 'Do you want me to be with you when you tell dad?'

'No.' Avery shakes her head. 'I'll be fine.'

'You sure?' T.K. makes sure.

'I'm sure.' Avery nods. She then turns around and makes her way up to the kitchen. She sees Owen is in the only one in there and he's sat at the table.

'Hey.' He smiles. 'Matteo said you were here.'

'Yeah.' Avery sighs and nods as she sits at the table with him. 'I wanted to speak to you but didn't want to wait until yous got home. I've already spoken to T.K.'

'Okay.' Owen nods.

'What would you say if I came home pregnant?' Avery questions. Owen is taken aback by the question but replies,

'That is never gonna happen.'

'You never know.' Avery laughs nervously.

'No.' Owen shakes his head. 'I do know,' he carries on, 'because you're gay.'

'How did you-' Avery starts to say but Owen just laughs.

'I'm your dad.' Owen says. 'I've known since you were a little girl.' He pulls out the chair next to him and motions for her sit in it. She stands up and does so. He puts his arm around her shoulder and brings her into him. She rests her head on his shoulders. 'I'm glad you told me though, and as I'm sure T.K. has already told you, we love you no matter what.'

'Yeah.' Avery nods. The alarms then blare signalling a call. Owen quickly kisses the top of his daughters head and stands up. 'Stay safe.' Avery states.

'Always.' Owen smiles before running off.

.

It has been two hours, Avery is walking home. On her way home, she meets up with Megan since Megan wanted to make sure she was okay after the incident at the park. They are both sat in a small coffee shop.

'How long until your dad and brother finish work?' Megan asks Avery.

'About two hours.' Avery looks at her watch. 'So I have to be home before them so they don't worry.'

'How are you feeling after earlier.' Megan queries. 'I mean, accidentally outing yourself is a big deal.'

'I'm glad I did though.' Avery says. 'Carlos gave me the courage to come out to my dad and T.K. and it definitely feels like a weight off my shoulders.'

'I'm happy for you.' Megan smiles.

'Thanks.' Avery smiles back.

'Again, I'm sorry that I-'

'Stop worrying about that.' Avery laughs. 'Some people prefer to stay silent. Other people, including myself, are more open to challenging people over it. I just got carried away because-'

'Are you sure you want to tell me?' Megan cuts her off before she can continue.

'Yeah.' Avery nods. 'I got carried away because homophobia is one of the factors that lead to my suicide attempt last year, and it wasn't just verbal homophobia it was physical.' There are a few moments of silence. 'T.K. and dad about that, just not the fact that it a homophobic attack so please don't say anything.'

'I won't.' Megan assures her. 'I promise. It's your story to tell.' Avery then stands up.

'Come on.' Avery starts.

'Where are we going?' Megan asks confused as she stands up.

'Therapy.' Avery smirks. Still confused, Megan follows Avery out of the coffee shop.

Ten minutes later, they are walking into an independent book store.

'This is your therapy?' Megan asks Avery as she leads her through the store.

'Books.' Avery replies. 'Books are my therapy. They always have been. My therapist is good, but books are my escape.'

'That makes sense. I've seen the bookshelves in your room.' Megan laughs. As they reach the young adult section, Avery spots a boy her own age looking at the bookshelves and stops. 'What's wrong?'

'Nothing.' Avery shakes her head. 'Let's go to a different store,' but before they can turn around the boy turns and sees them. 'Come on.' They turn around and quickly walk out of the store.

'Avery, what's going on?' Megan tries to get Avery to tell her what's going on. 'Avery, stop!' They're outside and walking quickly down the secluded the street the bookstore is located on.

'Avery!' They hear the boy shout after them.

'Avery.' Megan runs in front of her and stops. 'What's going on? Who is he?

'Avery.' The boy shouts once again as he approaches them. He grabs hold of her arm to get her to turn. 'Avery.' Avery spins around and slaps the boy around the face.

'Woah! Avery!' Megan exclaims.

'What the fuck are you doing here?' She glowers at him.

~~~~~

Who do you think the guy is?!

Some more crossover with DharmaWinter and her book "Addicted" so go and check that out. You can find the book attached to this chapter! (Hopefully)

Let me know what you think!

Much love

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.4K 150 10
This story leads into the everyday lives of a family that even a threat couldn't break them apart because love & loyalty over power's plenty.There is...
1.3K 20 8
Broken. That was a word that Piper Strand was familiar with as it is exactly how you would describe her family. Yet the brokenness brought her closer...
93.6K 2.1K 19
LOVE AT FIRST STITCH || © sunfliers Started: 3/30/20 Published: 5/27/20 Completed: 9/23/20 9-1-1 Lone Star: Season 1 TK Strand x Original Character
6.6K 122 10
You'll be mine and I'll be yours All I know since yesterday Is everything has changed. Tk and Alex were married. Alex sucks, is a dirty cop in NYC an...