Still Falling for You [NH yea...

By ChloeLaPomme

Editing slowly January: Toward the future/Vision Fabruary: Hands March: Fanfic/fanart inspo. (by @shamyliciou... More

Information
January - Toward the future/Vision
February - Hands
February - Hands
February - Hands
February - Hands
March - Fanfic/Fanart inspo
April - Too late/Missed opportunities
June - Honor/Sacrifice
July - Movie inspired
October - Horror
October - Horror
October - Horror
November - Crime AU

August - Cultures/Around the world

224 14 3
By ChloeLaPomme

Manga/Anime: Naruto by Masashi Kishimoto/Studio Pierrot
Words: 3 550
Publish: 08/31/2020
Summary: "Diversity is not about how we differ. It is about embracing one another's uniqueness" - Ola Joseph

The only busy day in Javouhey is sunday. The market attracts tourists, inhabitants from the other surrounding villages or natives who can find tropical flowers and fruits locally produced, Hmong crafts, foods and a lot of other nice, colourful things.

However, the best period of time, which helps the economy based only on agriculture, during the year is in December.

Mind that there's no snow and it's not cold. It's completely different. It's hot and dry. A perfect climate for the festival, long-awaited both by excited villagers and amazed visitors.

The Hmong New Year's festival was what Naruto loved the most here. He felt less standing apart since foreigners and villagers would gather to celebrate the good spirits and the end of the harvest season. And during ten days, it would last until dawn.

At that time, always in her company, he wouldn't see his parents during the day. It wasn't interesting to listen to adults talking. However, the passing travellers, that was something else.

Curious by nature, Naruto would sip his cucumber juice, eat spring rolls and listen to what they had to tell about the world, or about the Amazon rainforest, as they'd drink beer.

For a little while, he wouldn't feel different. He could act like everybody else. He wouldn't endure the others' gazes on him.

But now, he can't allow himself to escape behind his parents' back to wander in the village anymore. And there won't be anybody at their meeting point anyway.

So many things changed. And that makes him nervous.

He feels like he's on unknown territory even though he lived here until his eighteenth birthday, before leaving for Cayenne. It's a three-hour trip from here to the capital and, given the dangerous roads, he would only go back to see his parents on rare occasions.

And just like that three years passed by. All his friends, and she, had grown up. Or rather, evolved. Their whole life changed. Most of them are now married, have children too.

Knowing that, Naruto doesn't know where to stand anymore.

Single, living in a tiny flat, his study of the leatherback sea turtle is what his life is about, digging a little bit more the gap between him and the Hmongs.

Despite that, he smiles. Well, tries to not grimace to his mother's coworkers who haven't seen him since he left. He inhales and exhales deeply. He fails to know what to do. He looks like a little boy who doesn't want to let go of his father's leg.

His sweaty hands rub his black trousers. He pulls on the while collar of his white, buttons-up shirt under his black vest. His costume looks like it wants to choke him today. Even though it fit him perfectly yesterday.

Is it because he's getting aware of the meaning of the traditional outfit? Him, who wanted to make an effort to blend in with the crowd, now starts to regret his choice of being present at this year's festival.

With no ulterior motive, his mother introduces him to some of her students he greets for afar, too uncomfortable to come closer, with or without his parents, and to have a normal conversation.

Just the idea of talking to people he doesn't know turns him into a sweaty mess.

And also, he can't help but feel bad, as if he's cheating on her, as soon as he sees a white skirt and its apron in pink stitches shaken by the wind, displaying milked legs. Sophisticated and colourful fabrics they're wearing show the handmade work. Each costume is unique. Silver chains around their neck and wrist attract gazes on the body of those young, made-up dolls.

But, he says nothing.

He knows the Hmongs are married early.

As soon as they're old enough, they have to pile hats up. Take care of the house, of their brothers and sisters, help their parents working on the fields, keep their grates up at school.

He makes himself not think about the one he admired three years ago by looking away.

Around him, not too close from him though, the young men are here, looking respectfully at the fair sex. Their black hair are well combed. Their costumes display their perfect bodies, built during the manual work in the fields. Their smiles are natural.

Whoever makes the most of the girls fall for him wins.

The one with a well-known clan has a small lead.

But, don't ignore the one who works the most.

Or the one who owns a lot of lands.

Naruto has a lot of disadvantages. His "clan" is composed of his parents, none married, and himself. His father doesn't have a job so the situation doesn't allow them to have a luxury life like they would wish it to be. So, he doesn't have brothers or sisters. He doesn't know his maternal family who lives in France. He doesn't own any land. They just have a small garden where he used to make tropical flowers grow. His studies don't make him earn money. He just finished his degree. A few years left and he'll get his PhD. He hopes to find a job right after. And he's well too anxious by nature to appear relaxed.

He's pathetic. He knows it and he fails to change.

The tension in his shoulders becomes more and more underable. No way he's living his chair today, he decides while looking down at his lap. His hand goes through his hair. He hasn't managed to make it fit to be seen anyway.

That thought lowers his already low spirits a bit more.

He pretends to keep his parents' chairs when his mom asks him if he wants to come and help her give the eggs, symbols of peace and happiness. It's a good way to see people though, but anxiety knots his throat. No way he can form words in front of someone. Even before his former classmates.

So, from his corner, he observes his parents having fun. It's a familiar picture which reduces his apprehension.

Like every single year, Kushina helps a lot during the New Year's festival. The village's teacher is loved by everyone. Since she gives knowledge to the children but also to the adults, she rapidly fit among the Hmong people.

For his father, it's not the same. But, it doesn't stop him from smiling and from being a suker for his woman. Blond, blue-eyed, tall and slim, Minato looks like those French colonists that some Hmongs refudgies fear.

That's the roots of Naruto's problem. Being his father's replica, he's, since he's a child, the center of the stereotypes learnt in the Hmong culture.

Even though he's also Kushina's son. Even though he has her name. Even though he went to school with Hmong children when he was young, he's still different.

Too different to be really accepted.

He feels the hollow in his chest grow bigger. It hurts. He wants to escape. He has nothing to do here. He's not a Hmong.

Why does he try to be accepted?

Why?

A scent of coconut milk and hibiscus catches his attention. That perfume is pleasantly familiar but, he knows it can not be her. Married women, as she must be since all these years, don't smell so sweet, so tempting.

Yet, he looks up.

His body jumps. His limbs still. His heart stops. He's afraid it's an illusion because everything here reminds him of Hinata.

Through her sunshade, the sun casts shadows on her angelic face. A light blush, no due to her make-up, colours her cheeks. The rest of her skin is pale, making her look like she never saw the sunlight. Under her headdress decorated with pieces of eight, her dark hair is in a tight bun, displaying the point where her thin jawline and the top of her neck meet. Her black jacket, decorated with multicoloured, geometrics symbols, and her white blouse hug her chest. Her personal touch is the purple nuances pigmenting her sleeves. Her white skirt with its apron in pink stitches complete her traditional costume.

She shows her fortune.

And because he has never been interested in that, he finds himself lost in her big grey eyes, sparkling with intensity.

"N-Na-Naruto... G-Good afternoon." She stutters. She normally got rid of that little flaw he found cute. However, her voice is still as soft. He missed her.

And she's so beautiful.

He doesn't fail to see her nervousness. He notices a ball rolling between her nervous fingers. He realises he hasn't said anything yet. He sits up and smiles. Things are just that simple with her.

"H-Hinata, hi."

"Y-Your parents said y-you're here s-s-o-"

"Do you want to sit?"

He wants her to trust him. Like before.

She nods and thanks him. Seeing her sitting, his brain turns over. He's standing even before he realises it. It draws attention to them. And he curses himself quietly.

He's ready to apologise for his lack of manners - which for him isn't - but he notices Hinata's gentle smile. She isn't offended. On the contrary. Her blush has deepened. She's touched.

He then sits as she does and pushes his plate full of spring rolls towards her. To share, like they used to.

As if it's possible, Hinata's face radiates even more than before.

For the first time in a long time, he's comfortable enough to forget about everything around him. In his bubble of comfort, he can't help but admire the love of his life.

Hinata Hyuuga comes from a great Hmong family. Yet, they were best friends.

Firstly just classmates, he protected her from her bullies. Even though it was a one versus three fight. She had given him a hand made ointment right after. Then, as friends, she had helped him facing a group of poachers hunting a bleeding puma. As he was trying to heal the beast, she jumped with elegance between him and the six men. She had distracted them until Minato intervened.

Even since that day, they had a wild time together.

They would give each other answers to tests. It wasn't cheating. It was mutual aid.

They wouldn't allow the other to doubt. As soon as they were completely down, they were there to support each other.

They would wander in the forest, in the village.

They would swim in the river of Mana.

They would tease each other.

Until they were too old.

Until there was more than just friendship between them.

Until Naruto decides to kiss her.

Until Hinata kisses him back.

An innocent and so clumsy kiss that they blushed to the limit of fainting.

That moment was marked for life in his mind, making him feel dizzy, squeezing his chest, turning everything he felt for her incomprehensible.

The same year, Hinata participated at her first festival. She was wooed by dozens of young males. Much older than her. And Naruto could say nothing.

He's different. He hasn't the same education, the same religion, the same culture, he repeated to himself during the whole day.

Yet, it's him she dragged far away from the party after midnight. It's him that she kissed and that she kept kissing even after that night.

Unfortunately, they lost sight of each other when Naruto became an university student. Despite his heartbreak because of the separation, he couldn't stay. He had to carry on with his studies, to build a stable future. And Hinata had to stay to help her family, to find a good husband.

Just thinking about that made him sick.

So he declared his love to her the evening before he left. Hinata was so surprised she said nothing.

It's only way later he understood that this 'I love you' didn't have the same importance for them. He just opened his heart. For him, it was the thing to do. For her, it was without real meaning.

That's why he never came back. He made a mistake. Despite himself, his ego was hurt.

And he never would've thought she'd remember him. He never would've thought to see her wearing that traditionnel costume which means she doesn't have a partner, again.

She doesn't have a husband...

The beginning of their conversation is tentative, awkward for a while. Small talk doesn't suit them well. So, he tries a joke. It sucks but it makes her laugh.

Her beauty shakes him. Being with her sweetens him.

Every now and then, their hands brush each other. Silence falls on them. Their gaze lock. Hers is so intense he has to look away, blushes, before being attracted to her again. He notices she blushes too.

They shyly carry the conversation where they left it.

But, it's now their legs that brush each other. They froze. Rubbing his nape, he's ready to apologize but she blames he wanted to kick her. He's shocked. How can she think that? She says it's not the first time he tries to do that. He defends his past mistakes while reminding her that she too used to tease him as they ate. She innocently flutters her eyelashes.

She hasn't changed.

He tries to be casual but all the signs she sends him turns him upside down.

"So, how have you been?"

His sudden change of subject surprises her. She lets her fingers caress the madras tablecloth.

"I missed you."

She said it sofly. Yet, the knife twits in the wound. It hurts. He rubs the nape of his neck. He tries to soften the pain.

"I don't hold it against you", she adds quickly. Her hand lands on his. Goose bumps crawl on his skin. His heart misses a beat. He missed her touch. "I know why you left, Naruto. And I'm really proud of you. I know you always work hard."

Her words give me wings. He's so, so happy.

"But... I thought you would've came back more often..." Her voice is so quiet.

Reality makes him hit the ground. Again, he notices their differences. He recalls she was supposed to marry a hmong. To become a mother. To take care of a home.

"I thought you forgot me."

Let's be honest.

"I would never forget you, Naruto."

There were her intense eyes again. It's familiar. It warms him up. It's soft.

"I'm sorry I said those things back then."

"I'm sorry I didn't understand what you were feeling earlier."

"It's not you Hinata. It's me who..."

He blocks.

Who what?

Who should've known that it's not like this that two people confess their love in all the countries. That everyone has their ways.

But, he loves her so much it hurts to keep it. He wants to tell her. But, he already made the mistake to stand up earlier. It's not right. Kissing isn't right.

He's been quite selfish. He kissed her and confessed without asking her permission.

So what can he do? It's so hard to understand each other. They say the same thing but in two different ways. As if they weren't speaking the same language.

All he wants is to shower her with love.

"Naruto", she breaths. W-Would you like to toss the b-ball with m-me?"

Did he hear correctly? He's not sure because of the lourd beating of his heart in his ears. He eyes the ball. She wants him as her game partner? Him, the complete opposite of a suitable husband?

Speechless, he keeps staring at her. She blushes a bit more but doesn't look away from him. They're so intense.

That's why he's here. It's for her he tries to be accepted. He wants to understand the Hmong good manners to be with her. No one else.

Naruto swallows thick, keeping himself calm.

"I-I would love to!" his voice is an octave too high.

He rubs his hands on his thighs again. They're still sweaty. He stands up anyway, waits for her to take the lead but Hinata smiles and comes closer to him. Her perfume is stronger, causing his limbs to tremble.

He feels their fingers intertwined. She was always the bolder one between them. But, he tries to push her away anyway.

She shouldn't...

"Everything's ok." She reassures him. "I chose you."

His eyes come back towards hers and don't leave her. The tip of her ears is now red. He blushes too as she sofly tightens her hands around his arm, keeping him against her.

Their height difference is so great she has to slightly tilt her head to the side to see his face. To make sure he was ok to move. Or rather, to be exposed. That innocent gesture presses his chest.

She wouldn't have to do that if he was like her. But her gaze doesn't flicker, making his legs wobble. She's so close, so confident. His heart throbs.

He lets her guide him towards the center of the attention. He feels gazes on him as he makes his way to the men line. Without a look around him, he knows he's taller than the hmong men.

Facing him on the women line, Hinata seems a lot more put together than him. She stands straight and just looks at him, a smile on her lips

He then realises that they're both in traditional costumes, playing ball tossing, exposing their feelings to others and she's ok with that.

His stomach clenches.

In this context, he understands what she means. She accepts his difference. She accepts her feelings for him. She accepts him.

You, do you accept me? her eyes seem to ask as the ball grows heavier and heavier as they send it back and forth between them.

As if it were carrying the feelings Hinata cultivated for him.

He blushes. He can't believe that she had enough courage to come see him even though they haven't seen each other for the past three years. That she's ready to face her family to be able to spend time with him. That her feelings for him have stayed untouched.

How dares he think everything changes between them?

He's stupid.

Hinata's really amazing.

That only thought turns his heart light. A warm feeling blooms in his chest. He can't help but have a silly smile on his face. Hinata finally looks down, embarrassed, but rapidly looks back at him.

She throws the ball.

Naruto doesn't send it back.

He doesn't drop it either.

He keeps it firmly in his hand.

He succeeds at surprising Hinata when he walks the distance keeping them apart. She doesn't step back. His breathing is broken, as if he had run. He delicately takes her hands. He really feels like he crossed the finishing line, like he's home.

And he really wants to taste her lips again.

He pushes that urge away. It would be inappropriate to do that before Hinata's family. He allows himself to caress her cheek though.

"I want to marry you." he confesses.

He wants to be able to love her and to say it as he wishes. He wants to take her with him. He wants to live with her. He wants much more, but he prefers to see her father before. He knows it won't be easy. But, he wants to do the right things, for her.

And he knows it's the right thing to do when she smiles at him like that.

That's what he should've said during their separating night.

"I do too, Naruto."

Hinata sweeps his restriction away as she tiptoes, caging him with her arms to kiss him. In front of everybody!

He knows he's not the only one shocked by her action. But the others' presence doesn't bother him anymore.

Her nails brush his skull. Her fingers curl in his hair. If they weren't as untamed as right now, she wouldn't be able to do that. He's happy about that.

Again, he feels hot under his collar. But it's good. Passion burns his guts. He melts against her. She's so soft. She smells so good. Coconut and hibiscus, it makes his eyes close. Appreciate what he had lost. What he has back.

He's struggling to get back on Earth when she releases him. Air goes in his lungs. His eyelashes flutter.

"I love you too." she whispers just for him.

His senses rush back to him. Blue meets gray and he shivers. Her eyes sparkle, tears of joy threaten to mess her make-up up.

Can he...?

His throat is dry. He's scared. But he wants it so much.

"I love you." He timidly tries. "I love you."

The more he repeats it, the better he feels. He's so, so happy.

She doesn't mind the spectators' attention and kisses him again. A part of Naruto feels the staring gazes on them. PDA isn't something really daily here. He knows.

Yet, they don't feel as heavy as usual.

So, he pushes his nervousness away to capture her lips one more time. To press a bit more her body against him.

Their kiss tastes different. It's passionate. It's right.

His heart pounds furiously. She's so small compared to him. She has to hold on his shoulder to be at his height. His hands are on her hips to stabilise her.

He feels so good. He doesn't think I'll be able to let go of her straight away.

It's time for Chloe's explications:

-Javouhey and Cayenne are cities of the French Guiana. An overseas department and region of France.

-Hmong are very, very nice people! I emphasised their animosity towards Minato and Naruto for plot purposes. I didn't live the same as them. I had Hmong friends and I never felt standing apart. But, I did feel different. Because of the height or the hair or other things, I feel funny.

-The story goal is mainly to show the difference between asian and european cultures. It's not because the Hmongs were welcome on French territory that they changed their way of life. That's why Naruto and Hinata weren't together sooner. That's why Naruto says to Hinata he wants to marry her. That's why Hinata shocks everybody when she says 'I love you'. But in the end, they're ready to mix their culture to be able to love each other (and I think it's beautiful.)

-The ball tossing game is usually a game for single teenagers to meet each other. If one of them drops the ball, they have to take the other to a kind of date. That's why Naruto doesn't drop the ball. But doesn't throw it to Hinata either because he knows what he wants.

-Even if the Hmong attire consists of the same clothes, the traditional costumes are different, depending on the villages and families (there's so many pictures on the internet if you want to have a look) I wrote about the costume I saw at Javouhey.

I hope you liked it ^^

Let's love each other.

Peace!

P.S: I haven't forgotten July, the next chapter is coming.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

25K 1.1K 10
𝑆𝑎𝑠𝑢𝑘𝑒 𝑥 𝐻𝑖𝑛𝑎𝑡𝑎 ❀ Featured in Wattpad Anime, Manga & Light Novels | Ambassadors under Naruto Fanfiction ❀ Featured in Wattpad Fanfic und...
218K 5.4K 54
After Naruto dies while defending the village from the newfound enemies, he travels back to the time when he in the academy but he isn't the only one...
21.3K 1.5K 29
𝑁𝑎𝑟𝑢𝑡𝑜 𝑥 𝐻𝑖𝑛𝑎𝑡𝑎 ❝𝗜 𝘄𝗼𝗻'𝘁 𝗹𝗲𝘁 𝗴𝗼―𝗻𝗲𝘃𝗲𝗿❞ 𝗚𝗲𝗻𝗿𝗲: Modern Fanfiction 𝗔𝗯𝘀𝘁𝗿𝗮𝗰𝘁: Dwindling amidst the glimpse of th...
Fox By K

Fanfiction

533K 15.1K 48
Completed. FOX is the most mysterious person you could ever meet. All that they know about her is that she is a girl who joined the ANBU at age 4 a...