Project Maelstrom - Interacti...

By Awe_Da_City

Disaster has struck. - On April 6th, 2020, a mass death rocked a chilly spring morning in the city of Prince... More

An Introduction
The Forms
Status Update
Finalized Teams
Enhanced Dossier
PMD Dossier
~ THE INCIDENT ~
Part One: The Site
Part Two: Cured
Part Three - Sequenced
Part Four - Crossfire
A Questionnaire
Part Five - Shifting Tides
~ THE HUNT ~
Part Six - Insertion
Part Seven - Movement
Part Eight - Shadow
Part Nine - Takeoff
Part Ten - Dire Times
Part Eleven - Ailment
Part Twelve - Fortune
Welp That Happened
Part Fourteen - Safeguard
An Update

Part Thirteen - Frontier

65 5 12
By Awe_Da_City

- donivan 'trix' shire -

"Damnit," Arrow mutters, punching the steering wheel. "That's all she got."

"How far are we from the closest town?" Val asks, and Fayette opens the map.

"Uh," she mutters, tracing the road we had been driving on. "I think, maybe a few miles?"

"Oh great," Delilah mutters. "You do realize it's cold?"

"Yes, but our car is dead," Selina argues. "We don't have much of a choice."

"She's right," I sigh. "Let's get moving. It won't take long for them to find our car."

Someone had shot at our car on the way out of the city, and we had left a thin trail of oil on the road for the last hour or so. There really wasn't any time to fix it, because the bad guys could've been after us the whole time. Thankfully, we had made it close to a town. Now, we would have to walk the last leg.

Hopping out of the car, I grab one of the supply sacks and sling it around my shoulders. The group was notably more on edge than before, and it was reasonable. God, Meredith... I think that made everyone realize we weren't playing around here. This was real, and we were being hunted. Only together could we actually evade these guys.

The night was a chilly one, set at a cool 50°F or so, with a bright full moon shining down on the pines that surrounded us. The wind was pretty constant, but still slow. One thing different up here, though, was the night sky. We could see the actual Milky Way out there, and it looked like the night sky was alive with cosmic shenanigans.

"Cmon," Selina mutters, snapping me out of my trance. "We gotta go."

"Yeah, sorry," I say, adjusting my pack and following the others. We wanted to stay close to the road, but some cover under the trees could make us less obvious to anyone passing by. "You okay after all that?" She asks.

     "Pretty scared," I mutter, walking over twigs. "Not going to lie. What about you?"

     "Terrified," she says, ducking under a tree branch. "We've lose one now, people are hunting us, and a whole city is destroyed."

     "We are fucked, aren't we?" I laugh nervously, trying to hold back a scream. This was unreal. No one should be put into this situation, much less a bunch of teens who just gained superpowers.

     "If we get out of Canada, maybe not," she says. "Try looking on the bright side."

     "Kinda hard," I mutter, as we walk back towards the road. The trees were too dense and too full of mosquitoes to use that over the shoulder. Maybe if someone drove by we would, but not now. "I don't know if you realized, but we're being hunted."

"No, I think I figured that out," she sighs. "I'm just saying we can't just move around or we're very dead."

"Okay then," I say, trying to take her advice as it was a fair point. "How do we not?"

"I don't know," she begins, looking around like she heard something. "Tell a story or something."

"Uhh, ok.." I mutter, trying to pull back some memory to talk about. "Any request?"

"What about that coma you were in?" She asks, and my eyes widen suddenly. "Like, before we were injected with superpower stuff."

"Uhh," I mutter, remembering it a bit too well for my own good. That was an oddly specific question, but I really hadn't talked to anyone else about it. "Maybe later. I'm not really comfortable-"

Suddenly, I hear a car engine down the road. The others do as well, since they were already ducking for the bushes. I could see the headlights poking through the trees, and so I try and flatten myself against the ground.

     "Arrow!" Fayette exclaims, clearly on edge. "What do you see?"

     "Youngish dude," he says. "He's got a rifle in the passenger seat."

"Can't we just catch a break?" Val sighs, and my heart drops to my stomach when the truck screeches to a halt right outside our position. How the hell?

Then I look back, seeing that someone had tracked mud from the forest part. Nice going, guys.

The man steps out, holding his rifle, which looked like standard hunting equipment. "Hello?" I hear him ask, and he had a very gruff voice. From what I could see, he had a very different look than anyone we had met before. "I know you're out there! I want to help!"

"No way," Val whispers, looking at the man. He couldn't see us just yet (I think,) but we could see him. The tension was palpable. "Fayette. Fry him."

"No, we need all the help we can get," Lucas says.

INTERACTIVE QUESTION: Brightstudioonline Kanessapai GoldenPen_ Thunderjolt1235 District8Dauntless QuartenZoned Alleny-Reads2002 elliehope2006 

What do the Enhanced do?
A) Trust the stranger.
B) Let Fayette kill the stranger.

- raleigh anafoli -

     "Sir, someone's holding on the phone," my secretary says, and my head jumps off my keyboard. I had been up the whole night, restless over what I should do. After the report came that only one had died, I nearly threw the damn phone out of the window.

     "Do we know who?" I tiredly ask, leaning back in my chair to look at her.

     "Yes, sir," she says, gulping. "The Canadian Prime Minister."

     Nearly spitting my coffee, my eyes widen as I feared the worst. Had the PMD been found out? There's no way that such an advanced team could be pinpointed by inefficient government bureaucracy. Picking up my phone, I hit the button. "Forward the call, please. Thanks."

     "Of course, sir," she responds, pushing a button as I hold it to my ear. This either go very well, or very badly.

     "This is Chief Executive Administrator of Maelstrom, Raleigh Anafoli," I introduce. "With whom am I speaking?"

     "You are speaking with the Prime Minister of Canada, John White," he responds. "Good, well, night."

     "Yeah, I should really get some sleep," I laugh a bit. "I hear you'd like to speak with me about something?"

     "Yes, that's true," John responds. "Firstly, let me say how deeply sorry I am for the situation your company is facing in British Columbia. The news has taken off with that story, as you know."

     "Yes, all too well," I sigh. It was true. Every news source around the world had speculated on how the explosion occurred, and we had already seen it take a toll on our business. Not as bad as knowing we made super humans, though. "Thanks for your condolences."

     "No problem," he says. "My intelligence officials are hard at work determining the cause and those responsible behind the explosion. Seeing as it was a facility owned by your corporation, I was wondering whether you had any data you could share to better the hunt."

     For a second or two, I debate on how to answer the question. "Yeah, as you know, most of the complex was annihilated in the destruction. I don't believe we have much evidence to share, and I've held off on deploying staff to recover bits of the complex due to the Canadian military's control of the scene."

     "Well, you can send people," John replies. "Our military won't gun them down. You'll be fine."

     "Ok, great," I say, scoring a win. I could get people sent to wipe evidence without any legal repercussion. "I'll ask our security and intelligence affiliates if there is any info they're comfortable with sharing early tomorrow morning."

     "Sounds good," John White says. "You have a great night, sir."

     "You as well, Prime Minister," I say, hanging up the call.

     What a damn fool. If that's truly all the Canadian government knew, they were truly boned. Maybe we'd get out of this without a dent in our reputation. Hell, even if they did find out, I could lay down an economic hammer in Canada and keep the truth from coming to light.

     Challenging times, to be sure.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

965 161 45
Skye Jones knew the world had been screwed to hell years ago. What she didn't realise is that she would be expected to save it. After five years in a...
100K 8.7K 88
A secret program in the United States seeks to replace human militaries with artificial intelligence-driven machines, but the machines aren't so will...
1.9M 171K 153
This is a second view point from my original story - A Different Virus - Heartfire. I highly advise reading the original book first. Intro: Laura wa...
1.9K 56 52
**COMPLETED** Several years after the world succumbed to a deadly strain of measles that turned those infected into crazed, mindless cannibals, Charl...