The Alchemist ✰〘 Varian One-S...

By poppinisperfection

The amazing alchemist Varian returns in a collection of stories in this book (✯◡✯) Story requests are open {F... More

A/N: Welcome!
✰1.1 Schemes
✰2.1 If The Shoe Fits
✰3. That'll Do, Donkey.
✰1.2 Schemes
✰5. Maid for a Day
✰1.3 Schemes
✰6.1 Bibbidi Bobbidi Boo
✰7. Not A Cinderella Story
✰8. Aftermath
✰6.2 Bibbidi Bobbidi Boo
✰9. Rapunzel's Return
✰10. It's Now or Never
✰11. Definitely Not a Love Potion
✰12. Carving Pumpkins? 🍂
✰13. The Tale of The Corpse Bride 🍂
✰14. Nobody Puts Baby in a Corner
✰15. White Wedding ❄️
✰16. What Do I Know About Love?
✰17.1 Queen For a Day
✰18.1 Christmas Visitor ❄️
✰18.2 Christmas Visitor ❄️
✰18.3 Christmas Visitor ❄️
✰19. la Gemme de Genèse
✰17.2 The Alchemist's Return
✰18.4 Christmas Visitor ❄️
✰20. Astrology & Alchemy
✰21.1 It's Too Late
✰21.2 Don't Lie
✰22. Potato Prince
✰23. Only an Idiot
✰24.1 Other Friends
✰21.3 Wedding Crasher
✰25.1 Corona City
✰25.2 Corona City

✰4. Queen of Mean

1.1K 36 52
By poppinisperfection

This one is a request for @Alyssajj11, enjoy my first ever song fic!

Key:

(Y/n): Your name

(N/n): Nickname, if you have one.

(H/c): Hair colour

Bold writing: Singing

---------

I spent years as an only child. My parents always hoped that my sister would return of course, but for almost 14 years I was the only Princess of Corona. That all changed when Rapunzel came back. It was incredible to see joy return to my parents hearts as the whole kingdom celebrated her long awaited return! Of course it was strange at first, and there were times that I felt like I wasn't good enough for my parents. Yet I still understood that the circumstances were unusual. At the end of the day I gained a sister (and a brother-in-law) and a family that was complete. I stood by my families side when the black rocks threatened us, I tried my best to help the people when Rapunzel left to find the Dark Kingdom, and I fought for Corona when Zhan Tiri threatened the peace. All my life I've stood against anything that has tried to hurt my home.

But things have been different recently. It seems like nothing I do is good enough to compare to my magnificent sister. Although, today is the day to change this; I can prove myself. Today is the day my father is appointing the new Royal Chancellor of Corona, a position that I have been training for years to achieve! I've read every book about Coronan law, economics, infrastructure, healthcare...you name it, I've read it. Dad promised me once I was 16 and trained that I would be awarded the title, and the day has finally come...

I thanked my trusted handmaid for fixing my hair and I left my room, shutting the door gently behind me. Before walking down the carpeted hallway adorned with portraits and flowers, I took a deep breath in.

"All right, today's gonna be your day (y/n)" I exhaled with a smile, and started my journey to the main balcony above the palace square; where the announcement was going to be made. I said a cheerful 'good morning' to all the guards that I passed. There was John, Mike, Gabriel, Gustav, Toby, Charlie (I said a special congrats to Charlie, his wife had twins a week ago), Vincent and Derek. I knew every guard on first name basis, and went out of my way to make them feel at home in the palace. After all, a princess' (and a chancellor's) duty is first and foremost to the people.

I hummed Corona's national anthem quietly to myself as I walked with a skip in my step, but I was caught off guard when I turned a corner and bashed into something cold and metal-ly with a loud clang.

"Ugh yikes..." I frowned in pain as I stumbled back trying to regain my balance. I held my head in my hand and thought about how much that was gonna bruise tomorrow.

"AGH (y/n) I am so sorry!" I heard a familiar voice call. I looked up and saw a concerned friend rush over to me from behind the cause of my pain; a large boiler on wheels. "I should've been way more careful with the express steam-boiler prototype..."

"Varian don't worry, I should've looked where I was going. I'm fine, really" I tried to reassure the worried alchemist/royal engineer, who didn't look too convinced that I was actually fine. "I don't really know how I didn't see that thing anyway, I must be blind" I laughed at my absent-mindedness, causing a chuckle to come from the freckled, apron-wearing boy.

"Yeah actually, it's gotta be at least 8 feet tall. Maybe it is your fault, you should get your eyes checked out princess" Varian said jokingly as he crossed his arms. I gave him a whack to the side of his arm, resulting in a dramatic 'ouch' from him.

"My fault!? You're the one who's wheeling around this strangely silent 8 foot tall death machine!" I complained as he rubbed his arm.

"See, you do blame me!" He exclaimed as I realized what he was doing.

"Stop playing mind games Varian! We were both being stupid, end of discussion." I said with an authoritative tone, ending the quarreling.

"Alright, fair point (n/n). It's not like you to be stupid though, what gives today?" Varian asked while leaning on a decorative suit of amour beside him, causing it to wobble and almost fall; but thankfully he caught it on time. I shook my head with a smile at his clumsiness and helped him prop it back up carefully again.

"Well, you know the way the Royal Chancellor is being announced today?" I said with anticipation, as Varian nodded. "Dad promised me years ago that when I was 16 I would be able to take over the title and govern all socio-economic affairs in Corona with the help of an experienced group of advisors!" I squealed with joy as my friend's face stayed expressionless.

"Wow, I'm shaking with excitement" Varian spoke sarcastically as I scowled at him.

"If I can pretend to be excited by your chemical stuff then you can pretend to be excited for my things" I pouted and turned around to walk away, before I felt his gloved hand grab my arm and stop me from leaving.

"I'm joking!" I turned to face an apologetic smile. I gave him an uncertain look, and was suddenly scooped into a tight hug. "Seriously, I'm proud of you (y/n). You deserve this" He said earnestly with his arms around me. I couldn't help but melt into his comfort, as I felt a wave of warmth wash over me. If there's one thing I am grateful to Rapunzel for doing, it's introducing me to one of my closest friends: Varian. No matter how forgotten I felt, he was always around to support me and make me smile.

"Thank you Varian, it means so much to me." I smiled at him as he pulled out of the hug. He beamed back at me and I started to get lost into his baby blue eyes. It took a good few seconds for me to realize that I was staring. Clearing my throat awkwardly, I looked away and started to mumble excuses.

"Oh well, hmm, I should probably make my way down to the- um, the palace square" I waffled as I pointed behind him to the hallway that lead me where I wanted to go. He looked back and then turned to me again.

"Oh yeah yeah of course, go get 'em tiger" He grimaced at his choice of words slightly but I giggled at the strange new nickname 'tiger'. I passed by him with a wave and continued to make my way down to the courtyard balcony where I knew my family were probably already waiting. Just a few doors later, and I had made my way out onto the stone balcony overlooking a crowd of awaiting citizens. I made a subtle apology to my parents about my tardiness, and greeted Rapunzel and Eugene with a grin. As soon as everything was settled, a royal fanfare signaled the announcement beginning. Dad stepped forward and began to address the subjects of Corona.

"Dear subjects of Corona, I am humbled by your eagerness to hear the announcement of the new Royal Chancellor. Firstly I would like to thank the previous holder of this esteemed position, Royal Chancellor Sophia has served this proud kingdom well and I offer our sincerest gratitude for you hard-work and dedication." The crowd clapped and cheered for Sophia, who I knew personally and had taught me many lessons throughout the years. "I have decided that this year the candidate would be someone who has proved themselves to be a dependable, trustworthy and faithful person in the face of adversity" My heart beat a million miles an hour in eagerness, I'm so close to having everything I wanted. "So without further ado, I present to you your new Royal Chancellor of Corona," I closed my eyes and waited, "Princess Rapunzel."

The crowd's applause faded in my ears as everything around me spun. Rapunzel? It couldn't be true. I trained and studied for years, I had worked my whole life for this moment. He told me that it would be me. He promised me all those years ago. He promised.

I started to back up and dad turned to me with his hand extended for me. I looked at his hand and then back up to him, shaking my head from side to side in utter shock. I had to get off of this balcony. Two stewards opened the glass doors for me and I rushed into the throne room to escape the screaming crowd.

"(Y/n)." My dad called as I heard his footsteps follow me, and I turned to see him standing a few feet behind me in the middle of the room.

"How could you pick Rapunzel, Dad. Did you forget about me?" I inquired with a harsh tone.

"(Y/n), dear, of course I didn't forget about you. It's just Rapunzel was the more appropriate choice. If things were different and you were still the only princess then maybe we coulv-"

"Dad, I understand that a lot of things have to change in my life because Rapunzel is home. These past two years have been the most difficult of my life. At first I thought it was just me needing to adjust, and then I had no choice but to do what was best for Corona and our family when Zhan Tiri came. But now that's all over, she saved the day. Everything I do is never good enough. Everything I am is not good enoug-"

"(Y/n)..." He whispered with regret in his eyes.

"I will never live up to the lost princess!" My voice echoed through walls, as I shook with anger and ached with sorrow. Dad just stood there as the people outside still applauded my sister as she stood where I should be. I turned on my heel and walked out the doors, closing them harshly behind me. It was strange, I didn't feel upset. I was just furious. I had never been this angry before. I had to get away from anywhere anyone could find me, I don't want to speak to anyone. I don't want to make the wrong choice. I started running down the hallway again and when I turned the same corner as earlier I was met with Varian sitting on the floor waiting.

"Oh hey (y/n)! I figured I'd wait to s-"

"Not now Varian." I cut him off bluntly as I walked right past him without turning to see how hurt he was by my icy tone. I can't be near anyone right now. I can't even go to my room, or anywhere I usually am because then dad will just send someone to find me. There was only one place I could go where I could guarantee solitude; the Royal Archives.

I descended the narrow stone staircase, dimly lit by a few lanterns on the wall. When I reached the end I had to grab a match and light an oil lamp before entering the wooden doors of the archives. Nobody ever came down here, so they never bothered to add lighting inside. It wasn't hard to see why this place was rarely visited. It was cold, dark and dusty. All the important documents and memorabilia were guarded or on display, the things down here were junk really. Collections of Coronan history that weren't good enough to be shown. I shined the light on to my left and picked up a small rag-doll of a princess laying on-top of a basket of old toys. Inspecting the doll gently, I felt a twang of pain hit my heart.

"You know what it's like don't you? Something new comes along and your left here in the dark. Forgotten." I choked on my words as I dropped the doll and hit the floor in grief. The anger that had consumed me earlier had morphed into a sea of tears. I leaned my back against the leg of an old table and buried my face into my dress. There was nothing I could do to fix the sting that pained me. I could only sit in the shadows and sob.

"They've hurt you, haven't they?" My breath hitched in my throat as a voice whispered from the darkness. I wiped my face and held up the lantern to reveal the source of the noise.

"W-who's there? I demand to know!" My voice cracked from fear and I could see nobody anywhere around me.

"I am a friend, a friend who understands your pain." The voice replied, but this time from a different direction. I swung around and shined the lamp again.

"Where are you?" I asked into the dark.

"He promised you everything. But you were never good enough were you?" The voice breathed into my ear and I gasped in fright.

"H-how do you know this?" I questioned in a soft voice, scared of what the phantom would do next.

"I know everything. I know how you've been pushed aside and blotted out. I know how you had to give up your life for her. I know you will never have your happy ending." My heart sank at the brutal words.

"Why are you telling my this?" I whispered as a handful of tears slipped out of my eyes.

"Because it doesn't have to be this way. There is a way you can have everything you've always wanted" Suddenly a greenish light shone bright and led me to the back of the room slowly. Then the glow began to creep up the brick wall and poured into the cracks in a haphazard shape. Despite the mysteriousness of it all, something was urging me towards the glow; like it was calling my name. In a bright flash, the wall disappeared and revealed a secret room. The area was filled with a glowing mist and the same green light spun gently around the space. Right in the middle of the room there was an ominous black staff with a luminous emerald crystal at its top.

"This is the answer to your troubles. With this staff you can achieve anything, you will gain everything." The voice returned, this time in a clear voice and not a gentle whisper.

"But ho-"

"ENOUGH!- They have treated you like you're nothing! All this time you had to sit and pretend that it was acceptable. That time is over, you are more now." The words the voice spoke were powerful and loud, they reached inside my soul. It all became too much.

"I'm so tired of pretending...Where's my happy ending? "I took a step forward to the staff and thought about everything I had done to serve my kingdom.

"I followed all the rules, I drew inside the lines; I never asked for anything that wasn't mine." Years of dedication and not once did I complain.

"I waited patiently for my time. But when it finally came, He called her name." It should've been me.

"And now I feel this overwhelming pain...I mean it's in my veins, I mean it's in my brain. My thoughts are running in a circle like a toy train, I'm kinda like a perfect picture with a broken frame." The anger I feel is like a poison in my body, it was almost unnatural.

"I know exactly who to blame." Rapunzel.

"I never thought of myself as mean; I always thought that I'd be the queen." I took a step back and started to turn. Maybe this isn't right. Yet, why does it seem so wrong, but feel so right? They had their chance, they had so many chances in fact. It's my time to show them who I can really be.

"And there's no in between; 'Cause if I can't have that, then I would be the leader of the dark and the bad." I swiveled around and walked slowly to the glowing staff. I heard the voice cackle behind me as I got closer and closer.

"Now there's a devil on my shoulder where the angels used to be." My hand reached out as I felt an intoxicating energy draw me closer and closer.

"And he's calling me the queen." I grabbed the staff and a burst of light shone through the entire archive as I felt a rush of fire through my body. I looked down to see my once pale-blue dress had been transformed into a dark green and tattered version of itself. I took a deep breath in and stepped out of the secret room to an old mirror in the archive, and saw that all the color had been drained from my hair, and was replaced by ash grey locks instead.

"Now all you need is a crown, your Majesty" The voice whispered in my ear as I noticed a trail of black smoke leading me out of the dreary junk room and up the stairs. I looked up once again at myself and smirked; today is my day after all.

"Being nice was my pastime. But I've been hurt for the last time, and I won't ever let another person take advantage of me." I marched up the stairs as I felt my power growing and growing. The lanterns flickered brighter and brighter as I made my way further and further to the palace.

"The anger burns my skin, third-degree. Now my blood's boiling hotter than a fiery sea. There's nobody getting close to me. They're gonna bow to the Evil Queen - Your nightmare's my dream! Just wait until they fall to my wicked schemes." I placed a hand on the wooden door separating me from the halls of the palace, and took a deep breath in; remembering every ounce of the hurt that surged through my veins. This time it's them who will feel the pain. With one hit of the staff to the ground, the door burst off its hinges and started to burn in green flames a few feet away from me in the open hallway.

"I never thought of myself as mean, I always thought that I'd be the queen." I stepped out into the light and watched as the guards along the walls started running towards the sudden explosion. Once they recognized me, I saw the conflict in their eyes as they had no idea what to do.

"Hah, weaklings. They are nothing compared to you." The voice rang through my ears as a moment of weakness hit me seeing people I knew in front of me. "Remember who you are, your Majesty..."

"And there's no in between; 'Cause if I can't have that, then I would be the leader of the dark and the bad." I pointed the staff at the guards and watched as they got sent flying back with a shock wave of emerald flames.

"Now there's a devil on my shoulder where the angels used to be." With another flick of my hand, the fire surrounded the guards in a prison of cold flames.

"And he's calling me the queen of mean." I walked triumphantly down the middle of the flames and made my way towards the throne room.

"Something's pulling me, it's so magnetic. My body is moving, unsure where I'm headed." My eyes were locked on the two doors down the hallway.

"All of my senses have left me defenseless. This darkness around me is promising vengeance." The black smoke continued to lead me forward and draw me towards my destination.

"The price that I'm willing to pay is expensive. There's nothing to lose when you're lonely and friendless." I turned to family portrait beside the throne room doors.

"So my only interest is showing this princess that I am the queen." I observed my sister's face carefully and lifted up the staff to her features.

"And my reign will be endless!" I yelled fiercely and the portrait slowly burned into a flurry of flames. Then I turned to the door and spotted a cowering guard hiding under a table in fear.

"Well, are you going to tell father dearest that his daughter is here to see him?" I asked in a fake tender-hearted tone as I leaned down to the frightened man. He gulped and stood up shakily, before disappearing behind one of the doors. I heard some muffled voices as I prepared to make an entrance. I opened the door gently and stepped in, my shoes clicking on the floor as I did.

"(Y/n, thank goo-" Dad stopped when he turned and saw my appearance. He had this look on his face that was priceless. "What on earth happened (y/n)?" He asked as he started taking a few short steps towards me.

"What happened? Oh you know, I just decided that I've had enough with the way I've been treated. Fulfilling my destiny through wicked schemes and whatnot." I took a step forward and leaned on the staff casually.

"The staff of Yuzazzba..." Dad whispered as his eyes grew wide, "(y/n), you don't understand that is a dark and powerful tool you hav-"

"What? Are you afraid I can't handle some power? It's about time I had a little strength on my side!" I retaliated coldly as a withdrew myself slightly.

"It will control you, manipulate you into horrific acts. Please dear, let go of it!" He started approaching me fast and a fit of rage ran through my body at the thought of him trying to wield this power for himself.

"No! You cannot take this away from me. I am finally getting what I deserve, and so are you!" I grasped the staff tightly and mustered up all the hatred I could, before casting the strongest spell I could think of. The bolt of electric green light hit dad with force and he slowly started to turn to stone.

"You must- agh...over...come...the evil...." He managed to say before he froze solid in his tracks a few inches in front of me. A wave of guilt ran over me for the smallest fraction of time, but was soon replaced by the voice that spoke to me earlier.

"You will be the greatest Queen the land has ever seen " I smirked and held out my hand to the crown sitting on top of the new statue in front of me. Once I touched it, the stone fizzled away and the once golden crown faded to a cold silver shade in my hand. I placed it carefully on my head and breathed in deeply in satisfaction. My triumph was soon interrupted by the sound of shaking metal, and I turned to see the same guard as earlier shivering in the corner of the room. I stared at him with malice for a few seconds, before deciding that he could be useful.

"Go and tell the Kingdom: There's a new Queen in town" I spat at him maliciously and watched as he ran as fast as the wind out of the doors.

"I want what I deserve" I started walking towards the glass doors that lead to the balcony.

"I want to rule the world" I sent a gust of black smoke hurdling towards the doors, forcing them open harshly.

"Sit back and watch them learn" I saw a few scattered figures walking around the palace square as I neared the edge of the balcony I had stood on only a while ago.

"It's finally my turn" A dark cloud of smoke started to grow by the palace, as my resentment for the kingdom grew as well.

"If they want a villain for a queen, I'm gonna be one like they've never seen" The darkness started to consume the whole palace square and even spread further and further to the whole island.

"I'll show them what it means; now that I am that, I will be the ruler of the dark and the bad" I saw subjects start to panic and run around, terrified of what was happening.

"Cause the devil's on my shoulder, where the angels used to be" I looked closely and saw Rapunzel standing dead in her tracks at the palace gate below me.

"And he's calling me the queen of mean, the queen of mean" To stop her from getting any ideas of trying to stop me, I lifted the staff up slowly and closed my eyes.

"I want what I deserve!" With a loud crack, I banged the staff on the stone ground and an eruption of green flames grew around the perimeter of the balcony and stairs leading up to it. Regardless, I could hear her voice call my name from beyond the flames.

"(Y/n), (y/n) please! What is going on!" I heard Rapunzel cry out. I rolled my eyes in disdain and waved my hand, creating an opening in the flames; just enough for me to see her.

"Hello, darling sister. How are you on this fine day?" I asked sarcastically, only earning concerned expression back in return.

"(Y/n) this has to stop, this isn't you. I don't know where you got that staff but it's not worth it!" She called out with fear in her voice and I scoffed.

"Ha, nice try Rapunzie. You've had your time in the sun, get it? Because of the sundrop? Whatever, It's my turn to call the shots now." I yelled at her as she stood directly below the balcony.

"(Y/n), please we can fix this together!" Rapunzel cried out with hope in her naive green eyes. I looked down on her and left a pregnant pause before I replied.

"No. Bye-bye." I stated cruelly and hit the staff against the balcony again, causing a decorative fixture on the side of the balcony to crumble off and hurdle towards my sister below me. Right before it hit her though, I watched as Eugene annoyingly came to the rescue; pushing her out of the way so she didn't get squashed.

"Disappointing" I said softly to myself as I closed the gap in the flames and sauntered back into the throne room, lumping myself down onto the King's throne lazily. Who knew being Queen was so boring?

"What are you doing!" The voice hissed at me.

"I'm ruling" I replied as if it was obvious.

"How will the people know your power if you sit alone all day?" It persuaded as I lifted an eyebrow in intrigue.

"Show them my power? Fine." I stood up and made my way to the balcony to see what I could do. I removed a portion of the flames again and surveyed the havoc that ensued below me. I made out a trail of figures rushing over the bridge to the mainland.

"They're trying to escape your reign, your Highness" The voice sneered from beside me.

"You can't run from me" I whispered and prepared to stop the civilians from breaking free from my rule. I lifted up the staff and took a deep breath in, gathering all the mental strength I needed to produce a powerful spell to keep them here.

"Skies of grey and gloom, bring these people to their doom" The sinister spell came out of my mouth with ease as the clouds above me struck a bolt of electric green light straight towards the them. It hit the very end of the bridge and an eruption emerald green flames rose along the boundaries of the mainland and the island. I watched as it grew longer and longer, circling the entire scope of the island.

"Not even a single boat can escape me now" I smirked in success, before feeling a sharp pain run along my left arm. I cried out in agony and looked down to see the tips of my fingers turn black and cold. The decay started to spread further and further until it finally stopped halfway up my forearm. The pain was debilitating when it was spreading, but once it stopped it felt like my arm was just unusable.

"W-what is this?" I breathed out as I held my arm out in hopes the detached voice would tell me what I just went through. "Answer me!" I screamed as I waited for an answer again.

"A minor price, for major power" It replied ominously as I stood there shaking. The anger bubbled inside me as I started to despise this voice that 'guided' me. Maybe it was time to be free from it as well. I scowled and started to hit the staff on the ground continuously, surrounding a small tornado of flames.

"You're too scared to face me, hiding in the shadows" I yelled as the flames swirled around me, the heat growing.

"I am not the one you should be fighting, they are" I saw a face form from the flames and speak these words. I could barely make out that it was a human face, as it shifted and changed with the fire that it was made of.

Just as I was about to ask who it was talking about, the sting returned to my forearm and I fell to the ground in agony, the staff dropping at my side. I grasped my arm and felt the cool air return when the fire disapparated.

"(Y/n)!" I heard a familiar voice call out from inside the throne room. I turned to see Rapunzel, Eugene and Varian. When I saw them, my heart felt like it had been ripped out. Somehow, I felt a twang of guilt; like somehow what I was doing was wrong. This feeling didn't last long though as when I went to stand up I spotted the staff laying beside me, glowing enticingly. I looked at my former friends; seeing the desperation in their eyes, and then back to the staff. I reached down and grabbed the instrument of magic with force.

"Tool of darkness, filled with rage - force my foes inside a cage" I said fiercely as the ground beneath the trio shifted and started to twist and form into a haphazard imprisonment, separating them. I watched as Rapunzel and Eugene tried to reach for each other, before being pulled away by the cage. I stepped inside the throne room and made my way towards the prisoners, before groaning in pain again. This time I didn't fall down, but I gasped after seeing the blackness had spread as far as my shoulder.

"Princess, this thing is corrupting you, inside and out." Eugene called out to me.

"This isn't the answer, just let go of the staff!" Rapunzel cried from behind the makeshift bars.

"This isn't you. Listen to me (N/n). You are more than this." Varian pleaded as he looked with pity at my tortured frame.

"They're lyyyinng" The voice sang contemptuously as I looked deep into my friend's sapphire blue eyes. Slowly I started to realize the hatred inside me was fading.

"No they're not." I said with strength. I saw the confusion on their faces and realized they probably weren't hearing the strange voice like I was.

"You're the toughest one I've destroyed yet" It spat at me as I felt a new rage grow in me, this time directed at the source of these words. I held the staff tightly and created another flurry of flames again, to try and reveal the face of this monster like I did earlier.

"Come on, show yourself again! Or are you brave enough?" I called out after a few bursts of fire. I saw a few glimpses of a disembodied face cackling loudly. My temper rose hotter and hotter, and each outburst of flames got more extreme. I still had no results, other than its tormenting laughter.

"Is that all you've got?" The voice rang in my ears and I screamed in anger.

"Flames of torture create a gate, reveal to me the one I hate!" I banged the staff harshly on the ground and watched as a looming wall of sickeningly green flames spread from one end of the room to the other. I stood in silence for a few seconds, before I saw the outline of a body start to emerge.

"Ah, finally free at last." The sinister figure spoke as it stepped out into the open. I gasped as I realized what my rage had done. I had released him. The fire started to fade away from his body and I could see the man behind the facade, somewhat. His hair was scruffy and grey, and he wore a dark green and black cloak. It was hard to make out his facial features as most of his face was covered in the same black decay that covered my arm. "Now little lady, time to hand over my little toy. Play time is over." He continued as he made his way towards me with his hand outstretched.

"No." I said defiantly as I took a few steps away from him, but I stopped short when I felt the decay spreading further. This time I could feel it reach my neck and almost onto my face. I winced in pain, trying not to make it too obvious that I was getting weaker.

"We can do this the easy way, or the hard way." He spoke calmly as he began walking towards the cages. "Hmm, Sister? Or friend? No offence, but I'm not even going to bother with the brother-in-law." He said while pacing around Varian and Rapunzel's prisons.

"Offence taken" Eugene replied bitterly.

"Blood is usually thicker than water, but I'm sensing that this little fellow here means a lot more to you than just a friend." He turned to Varian who tried to keep a brave face on, while I saw him turn bright red. The featureless man breathed in and began to chant something under his breath, and I watched as the cage started to sink back into the floor, releasing the alchemist. Varian went to go attack him, before the man pulled out a thin dagger and twisted his arm, pulling him in front of him and placing the blade against his chest. "What's your choice, princess?" He mocked me as I stood there contemplating what my next move was.

"Don't do it (y/n)" Varian said firmly to me. I shook my head in denial, I was out of options. If I keep the staff, he will get it off me one way or another and probably hurt many people. If I give it to him, then I save Varian; but he'll probably just end up hurting us either way.

"If you give it to me, I'll let you rule alongside me: The Mighty Yuzazzba. Just think of it, unlimited power. You will never need to be pushed aside or forgotten again." The man sneered at me, and I realized who he was from stories once told to me. Yuzazzba was a tyrannical warlock who destroyed his entire kingdom to gain unimaginable power. Memories of the tale came flooding back to me. Only an act of great sacrifice was able to break his powerful sorcery and trapped him in a magical prison hundreds of years; until now. He beckoned for the staff again and I looked down at it, then back to my friends and sister.

"I could just destroy this right now. I can end it all." I threatened as I held the crystal end of the staff to the ground. The man just cackled at my words manically.

"You could, but you'd be destroyed with it. The darkness isn't just in the staff: it's part of you now. You're the same as me." He gestured to his face that was covered in dark decay with his free hand. I looked down to my arm that resembled the darkness he spoke about. 'Only an act of great sacrifice'. With a deep exhale, I shut my eyes and stepped forwards to make my decision: I held out the staff with both hands. He pushed Varian to the ground to come and grab it from me. I saw the horrified expressions on everyone's faces as they watched the scene unfold. Just before he could reach it, I pulled it back swiftly and held it to my chest.

"You're wrong; I am nothing like you!" I lowered the staff to the ground and smashed it harshly against the cold tile flooring. The green crystal shattered into a thousand shards, that started to glow brighter and brighter as a cloud of black smoke erupted in the room.

"What have you done..." The man whispered, "What have you done!" he screamed and lunged at me with the dagger. Before he could hit me, he started to be pulled backwards into a whirling tornado of smoke and green flames. I felt a slight pull on the areas of me that were blackened, and I fell to the ground as my weight shifted closer to the whirlwind ahead of me. But soon I felt a hand hold my other arm, pulling me backwards to safety.

"I won't let go (y/n)!" Varian struggled as he held onto me tightly. I turned to see Yuzazzba was not receiving such help. He struggled and tried to grasp onto anything around him. But as soon as he was here, he had vanished into the tornado that collapsed into itself in a burst of flames once he had disappeared inside.

Standing up slowly with the help of Varian, I looked outside and saw the wall of fire that had surrounded Corona had subsided. Out of the corner of my eye I saw something moving, Dad had changed back to himself and I let a sigh of relief. Finally, I turned to see the cages I had created fade away as well and Rapunzel ran to Eugene to see if he was okay, before running to me.

"Rapunzel..." I said quietly, causing a stream of tears to fall from my eyes. "I-I don't know ho- I mean I never meant t-" I choked out before being squashed in a hug by my sister. That was the last thing I remembered before it all went black...

My mind was filled with the sounds of chirping birds. Opening my heavy eyelids I saw streams of light pouring in from my familiar curtains. Suddenly memories started to reawaken in my mind. A glowing staff, a horrific anger, and a scary man. Did that actually happen? Or was it some sort of terrible nightmare. Please let it be the latter. I sat up abruptly in my bed and checked to see if my arm was blackened, or if my hair was grey. There was no sign of anything, I was fine? Maybe it was really just a dream. I heard hushed voices talk and I looked over to see mom and Rapunzel outside on my balcony facing outwards, deep in conversation. Carefully lifting the sheets off of me, I touched my feet on the cold flooring beneath me. Beside my bed I noticed a piece of tattered green clothing folded up neatly. I lifted it up and more visions came flooding into my mind. Still holding the garment, I walked to the glass balcony door and turned the handle slowly. The pair turned around to see me in the open doorway.

"(Y/n)..." They both said as they rushed towards me. Mom held me in a tight embrace, shortly followed by Rapunzel. The force of them ambushing me with hugs caused me to stumble back for a few seconds, but soon I melted into the warmth of it. After a few minutes we broke apart and I could start to ask about what happened to me.

"Mom, Rapunzel...did all of that really happen?" I said in a weak voice as I felt a rush of warm tears spill down my cheeks. They both nodded and mom led me to sit on the small while chair that sat on the side of the balcony.

"(Y/n), what happened to you yesterday, how did it start?" Mom asked with caring eyes as I wracked my brain for the story.

"I was upset, upset that dad chose Rapunzel as the chancellor, so I went somewhere nobody would find me for a while: The archives. I was so upset I just kept crying and crying, until I heard this voice calling me." I shuddered as I remembered the chilling voice that manipulated and fed me lies. "What it was saying made me so angry, I couldn't control it. Then it led me to a secret room- I mean the wall just disappeared, that's where the staff was. He told me I could change the way I was feeling- that I could have everything I've ever wanted. But I didn't want any of that. It was like I had lost my mind, I was so full of hate. I'm so sorry, I risked everything..." I sobbed when I finished speaking and Rapunzel held my hand.

"Those bad things you did weren't you. Do you remember the stories about Yuzazzba?" I nodded as Mom spoke, "it was a royal servant tried to give up his life in order to banished Yuzazzba to his prison, his great sacrifice saved everyone and restored goodness. But after his defeat there was no sign of his staff. The rumor was that it was taken by one of Zhan Tiri's followers and hidden, waiting for a vulnerable victim to be a pawn in Yuzazzba's game and to destroy everything" she said solemnly as I processed what she was saying.

"The servant gave up their life? But how am I still here? I did such awful things, what about dad! Shouldn't I be in the prison..." A shiver went down my spine saying those dark thoughts.

"(Y/n), when you destroyed the staff, you destroyed the darkness. There were parts of you that were taken over by the power, but you were prepared to give up your life to save everyone. In the end you had more light inside you than dark- you made a great sacrifice. That's why you didn't get pulled into the prison with him" Mom explained.

"When you passed out, your arm changed back. Your hair as well actually." Rapunzel chimed in sheepishly. "(Y/n), I talked to dad. I think you should be the chancellor. I'm not the right fit for it and I think you've proved that you can weather any storm that comes your way." She said with a smile, and I looked at her with surprise.

"If you would've told me that yesterday then I would be overjoyed, but right now I don't care about being a chancellor-schmancellor. I just want to be with my family and friends." I gave a soft smile as Rapunzel hugged me tightly in my chair.

"Speaking of friends, you should probably say hello to Varian. He's been waiting outside your door all morning to see how you are. We had to send him away last night as well, told him to get some sleep." Rapunzel laughed as I gasped.

"He's waited for me? Why would he do that!" I exclaimed as I stood up and ran into my room to find some sort of a dressing down or blanket to throw over my nightdress, so I could go out and see where my friend was. I flung a small wool blanket around me and grabbed a hairbrush to detangle my (h/c) locks.

"How do I look?" I asked eagerly as mom shook her head laughing.

"Stunning, no- ravishing!" Rapunzel said merrily as she led me to the door, and gestured to the handle. I turned the handle and opened the door slightly, and saw him Varian slumped on the ground, leaning against a table leg peacefully sleeping. I stepped out slowly and the guards outside my door turned to me, wary of my motives possibly.

"I'm sorry for everything, I'm not gonna do anything evil. All good, I swear." I said shyly as I held my hands up in an attempt to prove my innocence. They both nodded and told me that it was alright, and I promised them I would do something to try make up for it. Maybe shortened work hours or a pay rise? I'll figure it out. I stepped closer to Varian and leaned down to his level, tapping his arm gently to try and wake him up. After a while, he was still knocked out cold. I stood up and walked back to my door, convinced that I'd have to let him stay asleep until later. But I heard a bumping noise behind me, and I turned to see Varian rubbing his head- he must've stood up and hit his head on the table corner.

"Are you alright?" I said with concern while I stepped closer. He looked up and his eyes widened. I got worried that he was scared of me or something, but I was (yet again) scooped up into a tight hug. I held onto him tightly and never wanted to let go.

"I was so worried about you." He muttered through my blanket, and I smiled softly at his concern.

"I'd be more worried about that bump on your head, it sounded like you hit the table pretty hard." I laughed and we pulled apart. Varian chuckled slightly, but I saw him wipe away a few tears that fell down his face. "I'm so sorry Varian, for everything...I would never want anything bad to happen to anyone, especially you." I said sincerely while taking his hand in mine. He meant so much to me and it crushed my heart to see him crying because of my mistakes.

"(Y/n) I'm just happy to have you be okay, those things weren't your fault. It was that wizard guy, he had you under a spell." Varian said comfortingly, "Although he was right about one thing, kind of." He continued as I looked at him with confusion.

"About what?" I asked with interest. Varian looked at me and then to the pair of guards that stood by the door. Then he took my hand and led me a few paces away from the guards. I was still concerned about why he was leading me away.

"(Y/n, yesterday I was so scared that I'd lost you, in more ways than one. It made me realize how much our friendship meant to me. I hope it means the same for you?" Varian spoke nervously and I nodded in agreement, of course our relationship meant everything to me. "But recently I've been thinking- I mean only if you want to, I just think that maybe it would be something worth asking- just to se-"

"Varian." I said with a raised eyebrow, still very confused at what he was trying to say. He took a deep breath in and composed himself.

"Do you want to be...more? More than friends?" He said with his eyes shut, probably worried about my reaction. My heart exploded with feelings, and I almost squealed with joy (I never understood how Rapunzel was so happy that she squealed, but now I do). I grabbed his face and smashed a kiss on both his cheeks. "Is that a yes?" Varian opened his eyes in shock and I nodded passionately. Then he grabbed my face and the next thing I felt was a pair of lips crashing onto mine. It was short but sweet, and we were both left out in the hallway, drunk on endearment.

Suddenly I heard some giggling from up the hallway, and I saw mom and Rapunzel poking their heads out of my door like a pair of 5 year old girls on a sleepover. My face grew as red as a tomato and I looked to see Varian was the same.

"I should probably go get the, um- go get some breakfast." Varian waffled as he pointed behind him. I nodded and smiled at his bashfulness.

"Oh yeah, of course. Go get 'em tiger." I giggled as he grinned at me before walking away. I could've swore that I saw him high five the air as he turned the corner, but maybe I'm mistaken. I cleared my throat awkwardly as I passed the guards and I entered my room, shutting the door behind me. Then I looked up to see mom and Rapunzel sitting patiently on my bed. They stared at me as if to say 'come on, tell us the news'.

"Don't tell anyone." I said seriously as Rapunzel pouted.

"I can't keep any secrets from Eugene, plus those two guards know!" She complained as I threw a stuffed animal at her, almost knocking Pascal off her shoulder. I winced at the near miss and he frowned at me, and I mouthed 'sorry' while she kept rambling on about how she had guessed that Varian liked me and had already preemptively told Eugene all about us.

"What are you waiting for (Y/n), get dressed and go 'have breakfast'" Mom winked at me as she must've overheard Varian's excuse to leave the awkward situation only moments before. I grinned and turned to my wardrobe. Let's hope today will be a much better day than yesterday. From now on I'm more than happy with being a princess with everything she needs, rather than a queen with nothing.

--------------------

8200+ words....I think the next one is going to be something short and sweet haha! I hope you liked this one-shot, I took quite a few creative liberties and made up a new once-off villain (Yuzazzba is such a fun name). I know I didn't have to binge watch the descendants films just because this was based off of 'Queen of Mean'....but I did it anyway ;) my personal favorite song is 'My Once Upon a Time'.

Anyway, please vote and follow if you enjoy my writing! And comment any request you have below, or message me. Have a great day <3

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

32.1K 969 14
"Witches aren't all bad..." "How do you know that?" "...Because I met one" ---- I don't own tangled or tangled the series nor Varian I do not own yo...
51.9K 1.1K 32
Art by @kiiwiibun on tumblr It's pretty self explanatory. I'm open to suggestions please please please don't be afraid to give them! Varian yandere...
5.2K 124 8
As long as Varian can remember, he has had to do whatever people tell him to do. (Varian-centric Ella Enchanted AU of Varian and the 7 Kingdoms, writ...
145K 3.9K 130
Hey! This is my first story so I know it's not that great! I don't own any of the tangled series character! This is a story about a young witch beco...