Heir to the Empire

By RobClark5

Frustrated by simple village life, Huntress Loldirr longs for something more. Her desire to leave her home to... More

Introduction
Prologue
1. Greenhaven
2. Small Regrets
3. Darkness Falls
4. Grave Lineage
5. Escape the Shadow
6. The Rose of White Road
7. The Shadow
8. White Harbour
9. The Sea Horse
10. Judge, Jury, Executioner
11. Gryffinfall
12. The Tower of Mages
13. The Trial of the Sphere
14. The Elemental Sorceress
15. Ravenscourt
16. Darke Reunion
17. Conscience - Loldirr
18. Old Acquaintances - Ethelston
19. Fire & Ice - Erdudvyl
20. Apricot & Honey - Ethelston
21. Lionmane - Erdudvyl
22. The Black Knife Syndicate - Ethelston
23. To Eat With A Lion - Loldirr
24. The Pommel, Quillion & Blade - Ethelston
25. The Lions Den - Erdudvyl
26. A Privilege to Serve - Loldirr
27. The Lion Roars - Erdudvyl
28. Captivity - Loldirr
29. Light the Pyre - Erdudvyl
30. Embrace Death - Loldirr
31. Assassin - Ethelston
32. Pigeon - Erdudvyl
33. The Act of Betrayal - Ethelston
34. The Fool - Loldirr
35. Hagrefjord - Ethelston
37. The Saviour - Loldirr
38. Civil Unrest - Ethelston
39. The Blade - Ethelston
40. Know your enemy - Loldirr
41. The Widow Maker - Erdudvyl
42. A brush with death - Loldirr
43. Knight Inquisitor - Ethelston
44. The Fæordic - Loldirr
45. The Elf and the Hunter
46. Wraithslayer - Loldirr
47. For the Realm - Ethelston
48. Jorguldheim - Loldirr
49. Siege Preparations - Erdudvyl
50. The Winter Witch - Loldirr
51. Parlay - Ethelston
52. The Secret Passage - Erdudvyl
53. Besieged - Ethelston
54. The Battle of Ravenscourt - Ethelston
55. Rising Phoenix - Loldirr
56. Death's Bain
57. The Sixth Sphere
58. First Knight Inquisitor
59. The beginning of the end
** What to read next **

36. The Great Escape - Erdudvyl

68 16 23
By RobClark5

Rata-tat-tat

The familiar sound of someone knocking on the door had become typical to Erdudvyl as she lay on her bed in her plush prison. At various intervals throughout the day, members of the castle would come to visit her to ensure she remained where she was supposed to be.

Returning through the front door of the keep after her excursion to locate Chrys, had proven itself to be rather alarming and embarrassing for her security detail. With guards stationed outside of her tower now, at all times, all she could do was wait for an opportunity to present itself.

Rata-tat-tat

Erdudvyl straightened her dress, making sure she remained presentable to whoever was to enter. "Come," she called, with a little less enthusiasm than previous encounters.

The door swung open.

A bland young woman walked in flanked by one of the city guards. In her right arm, she held a plate with an apple, cheese and bread, in her left a jug of water.

Erdudvyl sighed, if they didn't kill her, the bland food would, she hadn't realised how much she missed pomegranates until this moment.

"Just put it on the desk, " she abruptly instructed.

The young woman smiled, watching Erdudvyl as she carefully placed the food and drink on the table. "I hope you enjoy the food milady; there are some interesting tastes within them."

Erdudvyl sighed; she didn't feel the desire to talk to some kitchen wench; she just wanted to be left in peace. When would humans learn the need for solitude?

It didn't deter the young lady though, "Oh, I forgot, a flower from the kitchen." she carefully removed a flower from her pocket. It bloomed a bright yellow, enhancing the girl's once bland smile, its domed shape seemed to puff itself up as she laid it carefully upon the table, and for the first time since the young woman arrived, Erdudvyl was now paying attention.

For all her time studying flowers, she knew what this was; it was a chrysanthemum.

Erdudvyl sat up studying the flower. She smiled at it before smiling at the woman. "Do send my thanks to them."

The young woman turned and headed towards the exit, just as she was to leave she turned and said: "I strongly suggest breaking into the cheese, it's some of the best I've tasted."

As the door creaked and slammed close, Erdudvyl jumped to her feet and glided over to the food, instantly tearing into the cheese. As a small piece of paper fell out and partially unravelled itself, Erdudvyl was glad she hadn't chewed straight into it.

Carefully placing it between her fingers, she laid it out for her to read.

Leave the tower, like before, at the tenth bell.

The message was clear, the instructions not so much. What would happen when she left the tower, how would she escape the city?

As questions flooded her mind, only one thought truly stood out, Erdudvyl had to trust Chrys, a spymaster's daughter, completely. After all her complaints and comments about the human race, it was one that seemed the most insignificant who could potentially be her saviour.

Erdudvyl rolled up the message and placed it within her bodice, before taking a piece of the cheese and nibbling on it; despite her lack of appetite, she was determined not to leave any suspicious activity.

As she turned towards the balcony, placing a small piece of cheese between her lips, a cloud of apprehension fogged her mind. This whole situation was so risky and dangerous, any elf would instantly dismiss it as foolhardy, yet with that apprehension, Erdudvyl felt something else far more euphoric. The craziness excited her; the not knowing was making her feel beyond alive for the first time in her life.

Humans may be insignificant and incapable compared to the Deayitora Dominion, but some of them genuinely knew how to live. Having met Loldirr and Ethelston, she joined their quest out of duty to all living beings; however, duty had now been replaced with desire, and if this would be her last night on earth, then she would make sure she was going to go out on a high.

***

The bells rang fervently around the city, the tenth bell, the changing of the guard and the opportunity for Erdudvyl's escape.

Before pushing herself off the bed, Erdudvyl listened closely for movement outside her room. After determining no bizarre late-night visits were to disturb her, she leapt off the bed and hurried towards the balcony. After examining the empty courtyard below, closing her eyes, she focused on the phase for her escape.

The turmoil and calm that ached throughout her body during the phase had become something that she embraced wholeheartedly. Not knowing if whether she would reach her target or not was something that excited her. Still, her practice was paying off; it was very likely that she would end up where she intended.

"Holy, shit! Where did you come from?"

The voice startled Erdudvyl, making her whole body shudder violently. She opened her eyes to find a guard standing beside her with his halberd in his arms.

Her heart sank as she realised her escape instantly failed.

"I thought you would climb down or summit, how the hell did you do that?" he asked, with his face almost as pale as the Elf beside him.

"Excuse me?" Erdudvyl replied.

The guard shook his head. "Never mind, we need to get you on the move."

Was this guard part of the rescue?

"You're here to help me?" Erdudvyl asked.

"Absolutely, but no questions, time is of the essence. First, wear this cloak." He untangled a cloak that was placed around his waist and handed it to the bewildered Erdudvyl. "Next, you need to head to the eastern gate, avoid the guards at all cost. Near the gate, you'll find some men loading a wagon with barrels, when you see them, ask them "'Do you put honey in your vintage wine', in which they will respond, 'we did once, twenty winters ago'. If they reply differently, hide for a while before attempting again."

"Pardon me?" responded Erdudvyl, confused.

"Do you understand my instructions? Time is important."

Erdudvyl nodded. She remembered everything this guard had said, but the conversation was a bizarre one for her to comprehend.

What she had discerned was this escape was happening, she was really about to attempt to leave the city.

"Thank you, " Erdudvyl said with a slight smile on her face. "What is your name so that I can thank you later?"

His eyes seemed to turn slightly dark with the question; he took a quick sigh before responding "My name does not matter as we shall not meet again, but please, for my sake, escape this city."

Confused by his response, Erdudvyl nodded and raised the cloak hood over her head spurring her to take flight into the night.

Darting between buildings, she avoided the city guard as they finished the switch between personnel. They were well organised with the guard change, but there was still enough chaos to be able to make progress around the city unhindered. Erdudvyl's only concern was when would they notice that she was no longer in her tower.

Her heart started beating faster at the thought that at any moment, one of her random inspections would take place, their form of torture to make sure Erdudvyl didn't get the sleep that she needed.

Despite the lack of sleep, her body was spurring her on to leave the city.

With only two blocks left, turning around a corner, she was confronted by two guards. Instinctively she ducked down in a dark corner hoping they hadn't seen her.

Erdudvyl's heart felt like it was leaping out of her chest, thumping rapidly like a hummingbird's wings, while her palms were sweaty and sticky causing serious discomfort. It didn't appear that they had spotted her, but as they walked towards her, it would be only a matter of time before they did.

Looking around her environment, hoping to find something that she could use, all hope seemed lost with each step closer, Erdudvyl's thought process was becoming more clouded. How could she fail so close to the exit?

"Who goes there?" challenged one of the guards.

This was it; this was her only time to escape. What punishment would she have to endure? Would she officially be moved to the dungeons? Would they find out, or not care about her involvement with the Dominion? If that were the case, she would indeed be executed.

Looking up, she watched as the guards were not looking at her, but at someone else. Turning her head slightly, at the corner of her eye, Erdudvyl spotted another hooded character.

Without hesitation, the hooded character sprinted away from the guards, the guards, in turn, followed in pursuit, leaving Erdudvyl in a quiet street.

Who was that hooded character? Why did they run away? What will happen if they get caught?

Despite her conscience tormenting her, she pushed herself off the floor and headed towards her destination.

A man and his two sons could be seen, working late lifting barrels onto a cart. This must be the men that the guard had informed her of.

Stepping up to them, Erdudvyl tried to remember the instructions she was given. "Do you put honey in yo..your wine?" she stuttered, nervous that the response she would get would be incorrect.

The man initially just looked at her before looking around the nearby streets and the wall to the edge of the city. Turning back to the elf, he replied "We did once, twenty winters ago. Lady Erdudvyl, we must get you out of the city, " placing a hand on her back, he hastily urged her towards the cart, "come, we have very little time."

As she walked towards the cart, the sons of the man continued to place more barrels onto the cart.

"What are these barrels?" Erdudvyl asked.

"My sons and I are wine merchants by trade; I have a vineyard outside the city. We regularly make trips from the city at night, as leaving at this time is always the safest. Now, milady, you'll need to slide into this compartment were we will need to lock you in. There is food and drink in there, but you must remain quiet until we exit the city."

Listening to the instructions, Erdudvyl noticed that they had opened up a compartment underneath the cart just big enough for a man to enter. Climbing into the hidden box, she felt her dress snag on some fragments, but the state of her dress was, surprisingly, of little concern for her at this time.

Sliding in, there was very little space to move around but she felt around to make sure she found the food, a couple of small rolls, and a small wineskin for her to make use of. Despite finding it, the amount of space would make it challenging to eat or drink.

"Remember milady, don't move or make a sound until we are out of the city; our lives depend on it."

"Just quickly, who was that hooded person who saved my life?" Erdudvyl asked.

"Some people volunteered to risk their lives for your escape, as for who it was, I can not say."

A dull pain hit Erdudvyl in the stomach when a realisation dawned on her "Risked their lives?"

"Milady, we need to get going, save your questions for later."

The man instantly closed the compartment leaving Erdudvyl in claustrophobic darkness. She pressed the sides of the container, trying to push them further apart, but it felt like the whole situation was gradually closing on her. The guard, the hooded character, once they found that Erdudvyl was gone, punishments would be endured for failing in their duty, her desire for freedom would cost them their lives.

Closing her eyes and calming her breathing, trying to ignore the tears rolling down her cheeks, she felt so bitter at herself for complaining at humans for so many winters. Yet their selfless sacrifice would allow her, just some random elf, to live another day. No elf would ever dare do something so compassionate and unselfish.

The cart started moving, every bump and crack in the road could be felt, not knowing how long she would be enduring this would be taxing on her mind and body, but she had to stay healthy for the people who would suffer far worse fates for this night.

The walls of the compartment felt like they were closing in on her, and the darkness was frightening, then to make matters worse, they suddenly stopped.

"Jaden, good to see you, up for the weekly pick up?"

Erdudvyl could hear the muffled voices outside.

"Aye, the vineyard has been good these last few moons,"

"We'll check through the barrels quickly, as I know you have to get there before the next moon."

"Appreciate it, these nobles can't get enough of the stuff, not that I can complain. Business is good."

"Go careful on the highway tonight; some bandits are becoming a little bold recently, attacking near the city."

"Aye, I heard, appreciate the heads up."

"Right go on through, and gods speed."

The cart started bundling forward, making Erdudvyl's back ache with each stone. They had made it; they are finally getting through the final checkpoint.

Dong, dong, dong.

The bells echoed ferociously around the city, making Erdudvyl's heart leap with each hit.

"Wait, " the guard cried, causing the merchant to stop instantly. "I just need to find out what's going on."

Had they found out that she had escaped? If they had, they would indeed investigate the cart.

Erdudvyl wanted to tear open the compartment and run for the gate, but doing so would be futile for her and the people trying to rescue her.

As the bells seemed to ring louder, it made her more agitated, more frustrated, angrier; maybe if she tried phasing away, all would be well. However, she had no idea what was on the other side of the compartment.

"Over there look!" she could hear on the outside.

"Ahh, dammit, fire. Look, guys, you go on through otherwise it will be hours before we reopen the gate."

"You're a good man Podget; I owe you a bottle because of this. Salute."

"Salute."

With that, the cart trundled forward. The pain was frustrating, the darkness sickening, but they had finally made it.

If Chrys had planned the fire, the hooded characters, even the nauseous compartment, she was a genius, and Erdudvyl owed Chrys her life. Still, today she was just grateful to be alive, and as the portcullis slammed behind them, she inhaled deeply. They had done it; they had escaped Lionmane.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

53.7K 5K 55
[Book 1 and 2 COMPLETE] Straight-A student Jane Huang cares only about acing her classes and graduating college... until a terrifying encounter with...
20.8K 2.7K 90
A forsaken God in exile, seeking to find his purpose. A soldier with a questionable past. Destiny picks the two most unlikely pieces upon the board a...
248K 9.9K 34
~ COMPLETE AND NOW AVAILABLE ON AMAZON ~ In the Five Kingdoms of Saol Eile, magic is the only currency and those who have the most cast long shadows...
2.9K 383 57
Now updating twice a week (Sundays and Wednesdays) The Second compilation of the Sword Keeper Omnibus. Over a century has passed since the marriage o...