Way Back Home

By btobmelody88

[COMPLETED] Joy never had a place to proudly call her home. Everything was always temporary. City after city... More

Chapter 1: Another Beginning
Chapter 2: First Meeting
Chapter 3: Crossed Paths Again
Chapter 4: Forming Links
Chapter 5: Drunk Mistakes
Chapter 6: Butterflies
Chapter 7: Opening Up
Chapter 8: Comfortable
Chapter 10: Picture Perfect
Chapter 11: Confessions
Chapter 12: You Can't Play With Two
Chapter 13: Unplanned Surprises
Chapter 14: The Birthday Clash
Chapter 15: She's Gone
Chapter 16: The Cupcake Clue
Chapter 17: The Chase
Chapter 18: Lingering Doubts
Chapfer 19: The Challenge
Chapter 20: Fated Encounters
Chapter 21: The Heart Finally Chooses
Chapter 22: Way Back Home (Finale)
Bonus Chapter: Baby... For Real

Chapter 9: Baby?

560 31 6
By btobmelody88

It was a weekday, and so the number of people at the amusement park was just handful. They could probably get in half of the rides if they wanted to as the lines weren't that long.

Sungjae and Joy looked at the towering colorful rides in front of them. Sungjae then turned his head to the lady beside him. He smirked, seeing Joy frozen on her spot.

"Hmm, Sooyoung-ah. Since I'm such a good Oppa, let's go to the Gyro drop last. We can try the baby rides first" he teased.

"H-hey! I'm not a baby! I can even go to the Gyro drop right at this moment!" Joy shouted in her defense. She was definitely horrible at hiding her true feelings.

"I didn't say anything about you being a baby, though? But if you say so. Gyro Drop it is. Let's go, baby" Sungjae's ears also got red as he said that last word. He just wanted to tease Joy but he got caught up with his own embarrassment. The last time he used that endearment was...

Ah. Never mind. Sungjae thought.

Joy, of course, was surprised. Whether because she just placed her life at risk by agreeing to go to the Gyro Drop or because Sungjae just called her baby, one thing is for sure- her heart is beating like crazy right now.

To avoid things getting even more awkward, Sungjae flicked Joy's forehead and joked, "Sooyoung, we haven't even been to the ride and it is as if your soul left you!"

"Ow!! That hurt! Ugh, let's go!" Joy stomped her way to the Gyro drop while Sungjae silently followed her from behind as he tries to suppress his laugh.

Once seated and placed with their safety belts, Sungjae looked again at Joy. She was really pale by now. One thing that Sungjae learned about Joy is that she really hides her feelings even if those feelings are unpleasant ones. He definitely knows Joy was scared of this ride and was just teasing her. Now that they are here, he felt quite guilty seeing the poor lady's face.

He silently reached out for Joy's hand and entangled it with his. He gave it a light squeeze causing Joy to look at him. He looked at her straight into the eyes and said, "I'm here, Sooyoung-ah. It's going to be okay"

With that, Joy started to relax and smile at Sungjae. She will never admit she's scared, but she can admit to herself that Sungjae gives her comfort.

"O-oppa. Thank you" was all she could say.

Sungjae smiles and nodded. That was all he needed to let loose. That was all he needed to learn another thing today, too- Joy hides her feelings, but he can see through her, and he wants to be there for her as much as he could. That's because... her comfort gives him comfort, as well.

I want to always see you smile, Sooyoung.

The two's self-reflection was abruptly halted when the ride started... and no other words were heard other than high-pitched 'Ahhs' until the end of the ride.

"Sooyoung-ah! Look at you! You look like a fish" Sungjae teased Joy as her hair was all over her face and her eyes were still wide, still trying to recover from the ride.

"T-that...was... AMAZING!!! We should go again, Oppa! I feel so alive!!!" Joy shouted like a child, not even minding how she looked like.

Sungjae chuckled. He reached out and cupped Joy's face, causing Joy to feel shivers in her spine. "I'm pretty surprised you liked that ride. You looked like a dead soul at the start, you know? But there are way too many rides here that we can also try. Let's grab something to snack on first then let's explore more, okay?" Sungjae softly said as his right hand fixes Joy's hair. Joy was obviously blushing but Sungjae chose to let this opportunity to tease pass for now.

The two decided to settle with fries and slushie. They sat causally at the table with a good view of the bay. It was pretty windy, and the cool breeze was really refreshing.

"Hey, fish. It's my birthday soon, you know. Not that I'm saying that I want the best cake in town from the best baker I know but that's what I'm actually saying" Sungjae chuckled as he hinted on Joy.

"Whaaaat?! When?" Joy panicked a little. She had bizarre cake orders before but this one's for Sungjae. She didn't want to disappoint him.

"May 2" Sungjae said as he had a mouthful of fries.

"Come on, Oppa! That's so near! Why didn't you tell me, earlier! Let's go home now! I have to check what ingredients I have left in my pantry so I can go to the grocery first thing in the morning!!" Joy whined and was ready to leave when Sungjae held her wrist and made her sit down again.

"I feel really special just by seeing you panic, Sooyoung" Sungjae laughed. "I'm sorry if I didn't tell you sooner. Like how do I even tell you that? Just randomly? You didn't even tell me when's your birthday. Oh wait, I know. September 3! It's in your application" Sungjae recalled proudly and smirked at Joy.

"My birthday doesn't matter. I never celebrated it. At the orphanage, there were good and bad days for donations. You'd be unlucky if your birthday falls on the bad day so they ended up just not celebrating at all to avoid jealousy. When I got out of there, I was just too busy making ends meet so I never celebrated it"

Joy paused a bit as she tried to keep her tears from falling.

"So anyways, tell me how big you want your cake is, okay? I'm sure you'll forget your name once you eat THE cake of the town" Joy tried to joke. She realized she had spilled personal stories again.

Sungjae, however, did not yield to this and held  both of Joy's shoulders.

"Look at me, Sooyoung."

Joy was hesitant. She knows Sungjae will say something again that would cause her walls to further go down. Only Sungjae has that power in her life.

"Sooyoung, please. Please look at me" Sungjae held Joy's chin to lift it up to his gaze. Joy finally met his eyes.

"I'm sorry for all the bad things that happened to you. But I promise things will get better now that you're here in Jeju... with me. Let's celebrate your birthday this year. Trust me, okay? You have me, Sooyoung-ah. Jeju is your home now" Sungjae said with all the sincerity in his heart.

Trust... Home... big words.

"I'll try, Oppa. T-thank you. I mean really, thank you" Joy's tears finally went down. She has been having mixed feelings inside of her. Everything about Jeju does feel home, but she has been battling this thought inside her as she is still scared to get hurt.

Sungjae immediately wiped Joy's tears. "You're still beautiful even when you cry. But I have now confirmed that you look like a fish"

They both finally laughed. Joy hit Sungjae's arm.

Can everyday be like this, universe?

"But hey, Sooyoung. I do need the cake to be big though. Important people are coming over that day... and for good, actually" Sungjae commented.

"For good? I'm confused" Joy could only ask.

"Hmm, remember our talk last time? I mean business talk. I'm really grateful that the business has been booming, but you were right that I can't do this alone anymore. I need people to help me manage my other properties as I can't be at 6 places at once. I have this group of friends in college that I really trust. I contacted them recently and they agreed to help me. They are a bunch of funny guys, too. I'm sure you'll be fond of them" Sungjae smiled as he recalled his hyungs. They have always been there for him being the youngest of the group, and when he reached out to them, he was so sure that they would agree.

"Oh wow, Oppa! That's great news! I'm so proud of you. Don't worry, I'll make sure the cake will definitely make them stay!" Joy confidently said with a wink.

"I don't have a doubt about that. Anyways, let's go out to the other rides now, hm?" Sungjae offered his hand as he stood up.

"Let's go!!!" Joy giggled and gladly took Sungjae's hand.

It was indeed a fun and meaningful amusement park date for them.

———
May 2, 2019 - Day Sixty Three
4:30 am

Joy was up early as the day has finally come- Sungjae's birthday.

She smiled at just the thought of showing a finished birthday cake to him. Joy has done tons of birthday cakes before, but she has exhausted her brain for THE best birthday cake ever, as requested by Sungjae. Her design idea was unmatchable- a huge fennec fox cake holding a finishing rod on one hand and lots of cash on the other hand. She was so sure he's going to love it.

After filling her stomach with her all-time favorite coffee and avocado toast combo, she took out each ingredient for Sungjae's cake. Looking at them laid out in front of her, she shook her head silently. It's going to take lots of work but she was up for the challenge.

Before she goes full-baker mode though, an idea popped into her mind. She cheerfully took her phone and typed...

To: Oppa
Good morning, Oppa! Happy birthday! I'm sure you're still snoring like a wild bear! Hahaha. I'm making your cake now. Don't you even DARE sneaking in here! Or else no cake for you! >:P See you later, Oppa <3

———-
8:15 am

The bright sunlight that pierced through the curtains made Sungjae lazily open his sleepy eyes. He automatically reached out for his phone from his side table to check the time.

Eh? 8:15 am. Hmm, I'm early. Wait, a text from Sooyoung?

Sungjae opened his inbox and his sleepy eyes gradually turned into his killer eye smile. He was feeling giddy right in the morning already.

To: Sooyoung
Good morning too, Sooyoung! Ya, you're the first person to greet me this year. I'm so happy :) thank you! I will try my best to behave but please don't get mad at me if I can't control myself. I got the birthday privileges today. :P See you later!

"Ah Sooyoung, you're such a baby" Sungjae couldn't help but comment out loud as he reads Joy's text again. He could already imagine how she's working so hard right now for his birthday cake.

"Son, don't your cheeks hurt from smiling so much?" Sungjae's attention turned to the cheerful lady at his bedroom door carrying a breakfast-in-bed tray.

"Mom, since when were you there?!" He scratched the back of his neck. He was turning into a bright tomato.

"Hmm, long enough to see my son so whipped for his someone. Happy birthday, son. You're still my baby even if you like being the baby of another lady right now... or is it the other way around? You baby-ing her? Hmm. I can't decipher" Mrs. Yook teased as she placed down the tray in front of Sungjae. She was amused at how Sungjae would easily blush now. She has tried setting him up before to other girls since SoHyun left but he has never showed any emotion... well not until now.

"Why are you joking this early, mom? But anyways, this looks good. You're the best mom! Thank you so much. Thank you for giving birth to this handsome being" Sungjae grinned as he pointed to himself causing both of them to laugh.

"Oh son, you take your jokes from your father. Eat well, okay? It will be a big lunch today! I can't believe I'm seeing those kids again. They're practically my adopted sons already" Mrs. Yook recalled how Sungjae and his friends would often hang out in their place so many years back. She's happy that a lot of people who love her son are coming now and that her son seems to be slowly moving on as well.

"Yes, mom. Can't wait for later!" Sungjae responded while savoring all the food in front of him.

"I'll go ahead and start preparing now. Bye, my baby" Mrs. Yook playfully winked as she emphasized the last word. Sungjae could only watch his mom walk away as he drowns in his own blush.

Today will be a long day. Happy birthday, self.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.9K 115 23
↷HANA hadn't recovered from the loss she felt from her past, and the boy she has lost, only to meet a group of people, and more specifically, a boy...
77.3K 2.7K 46
Fake and Reality will be blurred out until they can't figure out which is which anymore. Characters: Park Sooyoung - Nickname: Joy - Birthda...
8.9K 503 27
COMPLETED "Our path crossed once again after years of being apart... yet you've chosen to walk out of my life." - Park Sooyoung "You have always bee...
8.6K 256 16
let's explore sungjoy's relationship in different universe [ republishing it because i wrote it out of love for sungjoy. republishing to keep the mem...