The Devils Backbone

By Skipology

Fanfiction based on the History Channels Hatfields and McCoys. [Book is a rough draft - needs heavy editing] ... More

CAST: The Hatfield Clan
CAST: The McCoy Clan
SOUNDTRACK
Across the River
Looming Airs
Timber
Blacker Berries
Cotton's Soup
Rain Water
Ominous
Hogswagglers Jury
Chores to Do
Election Day
Rose on the Doorstep
Too Far Gone
Counting Seconds
The Shack
Up to the Timber
Untitled Blooms
Pikeville
Close
Was There Peace in the Valley
Chill Down the Spine
Hammer and Nails
As Blood Sets the Table
Unease
In the Dark
Like Rain in the Sky
One Crossed the River
Lambs Last Mercy
Blood Toucheth Blood
Ever On
Trouble with Peace
Autumn Rain
Fire Starters
Laughter in the Dark
Irregular
A Call to the Wilds
Schemes
Comes A Knocking
Angels
Changing Winds
The Begining
Smoke Before The Blaze
Regrouping
How Deep the Water Runs
A Cabin in the Hills
High Alert
Heat the Frying Pan
Day in the Life
A Wild Ride
No Bells A Ringin'
For Want of a Nail
Killing Season
The Things You Sew
Start of a Charge
New Faces
The First Night
Battlezones
The Pine Box
When All Goes Right
Now's About Time
A Snake in the Roses
Quiet Thunder
The Color of Blood
Plans
Where the Apricots Grow
The Gut You Trust
Road to New York
At Ease
Something New
Adder in the Garden
Fibs and Folly
The Dream Deferred
The Get Away
The Way Back
Mother May I
Daddy Dearest
Quiet Gatherings
Good Bad Spine
Sundance
Rock Bottom
Cold Dark Morning
Lost and Found
From The Pit
Winter's Sigh
A Wing to Mend
Two Came Knocking
Hard Luck, Shared Blood
For the Better?
A Merry Secret
An Unclever Ruse

The Nerve

604 58 10
By Skipology

Chyna muttered to herself quietly while she  pulled her skirt back into place, "yous so stupid.." she said to herself, "how could you not notice." she hummed in a long sigh. Chyna's hands gripped the sides of her skirt tightly, her fingers trembling as she wrung at the fabric. 

Heading towards the wagon, Chyna took her time, she wasn't sure how to tell him, sure it would be easy, Cap had been dreaming of it and talking about it the way a child dream about what they wanted to be once grown up. Chyna bit her lip and water stung at her eyes, releasing her skirt she quickly wiped a tear away she sniffled a bit and stop her inward panic before heading up to the Wagon.

Cap watched her carefully "you awlright?" he asked her, "your gut ain't hurting you is it cause we can stop for a while." He offered. Chyna laughed lightly at his concern "Cap, it ain't your gut that hurts on your flow. It's your baby making parts." she said. Cap paled "I...I coulda don' without that..." He said with a sheepish smile. Chyna chuckled as swiped gently at his forehead brushing away stay locks of shaggy hair. "you need a cut when we gets back." she said.

Cap frowned "but I like it, like this." he said. "aunt Levicy says you look like Uncle Jim's hound." Cotton chimed in. Chyna giggled "I do not, Ma's always got something to say 'bout how alla her kids dress." Cap shot back. Cap  found himself smiling, truth was, cutting his air also cut back the amount of time Chyna would reach out to fix it. He could not and would not have that happen. not for all the Ox tails in West Virginia.

"we're almost home," Cap announced as he got the horses moving again. "hurrah! I had fun up in New York with Huck and the others, but I miss everyone else." Cotton said. "Me too Cot, I wonder how Iris and Clint is doin' and little Elliot, though I'm sure Sarah and Arvella are doin' fine helping out Miss Levicy with him." Chyna mused. Cap gave a nod "that or drivin' poor Ma crazy." he laughed.

Meanwhile, Back in Kentucky, Jim McCoy entered into the whore house, a bushel of roses in hand, He went up the stairs and to the usual room, " Kathryn, Dear?" Jim called with a wide grin on his face. Kathryn sat before her mirror removing the curlers form her hair, each coil giving a beautiful bounce as it fell in place. Her deep eyes glanced to Jim, she tried to smile, but as of late, Jim smiling meant someone some where was hurting.

"You are happy, did you catch another one of the Hatfield's men?" Kathryn asked. Jim handed her the roses and left a kiss on her cheek "sure did, got them waitin' in a cell now. wasn't no one big but it's progress." He said happily. Kathryn gave a nod and went back to fixing her hair.

Jim sat on the edge of her bed and watched her carefully "when you gonna stop workin' here. I told you, I can care for you." He said.

Kathryn watched him from her mirror "I'm not living with you, your brothers and sisters and your parents." she said simply. She couldn't tell him the truth, that his father, Ol' Randal McCoy, frightened her.

"why? Ma, likes you and the girls do to, so does Calvin." Jim said in a rush.

"it's too violent and I can't stand...." Kathryn thought to herself, she saw Jim's pitiful expression in her mirror and sighed. "Its too many people, Jimmy. Your Mother should have space to her self so that she may mourn the right way." Kathryn said. Her light voice eased Jim's worry as she stood up and went to him. Kathryn rain his hand across his hair, brushing it back.

Jim chuckled "you say that, but it's because Sussie is around more often ain't it?" Jim asked. Kathryn's eyes widened in shock to which Jim laughed more "you aren't good at hiding when you don't like people Kathryn. You're honest in every way, t'why I like you so much." Jim said. Kathryn smiled playfully. "that the only reason? she asked tapping her bottom lip with her finger.

"no" Jim said softly leaning up to meet her in a kiss. However, their moment was quickly ruined by the obnoxious cries coming from the next room over and the squeaking of a tired worn bed. Kathryn rolled her eyes "they're sickening behaving like that, that woman's got no class and neither does he." She barked.

Jim ruffled his hair and shrugged "Bad Frank is catching the Hatfields, he ain't so bad. just ain't got much tact." Jim said. Kathryn folded her arms and glared at the wall "an what's her excuse. running about with men, while wedded to another, another she openly hates." Kathryn muttered. "Nancy's messed up, you know she found her Pa's body when she was little. did something to her." Jim sighed.

"Made her an vile hearted, shrew. that is what it did." Kathryn murmured, She marched around the med and to the wall, balling up her fist she hit the wall "have some decorum about yourselves! this place is for decent interaction!" she shouted. Jim covered his mouth to quiet his laughter.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Johnsey found himself back at home again, Helping Elias set up traps encase any bounty hunters got wind of where they were staying. He found he spent less time at home than he ever would have imagined. 

Nancy was cold, most days, sometimes she was overly kind and it had started to scare him. In his mind he'd chalked it up to mood swings, which really scared him.  the days when she was quiet, left him to think about Roseanna, often day dreaming of what could have been. thinking of her used to make him happy, now all it did was make his heart tie into a painful knot.

"you sure you ain't got nothing else for me to do uncle Lias?" Johnsey asked. "not that I can think of, Johnsey, yous done everything." Elias chuckled, sitting down with his fiddle, He started to play a tune that in several years he was still terrible at.

Johnsey winced at the horrible sound. "oh, alright then..." he sighed, dragging his feet he headed towards his horse. Not  far off, between the brush and tree's Johnsey spotted his Uncle Jim, Johnsey went to smile and wave, when her noticed to men lurking in the shadows of the trees. "Uncle Jim?" Johnsey murmured walking closer. 

"you miss this up and I'll come a kill ya my self, " Johnsey heard Jim say. the chill in his voice made a shiver run up Johnsey's spine. "U-Uncle Jim?" Johnsey called louder this time, stopping at the edge of the trees.  Jim glanced over his shoulder to Johnsey as the two men walked off.

"hey, Johnsey!" Jim called, a smile replacing the cold expression that had once took over. Johnsey returned that smile uneasily, "uncle Jim, who was them men?" he asked. "oh, wasn't no one, just some boys from town." Jim said with a shrug. "I coulda swore I saw the young one before..." Johnsey murmured, the young man's face looked vaguely familiar. "maybe, they're from town. anyways, what you doing out here again?" Jim asked. stuffing tobacco in his cheek.

 Johnsey scowled, "can't a man visit his family?" he asked, He didn't feel like getting anymore grief from being away from his home. "yes, just odd for man to spend s'much time away from his wife, without ever bringing her 'long with 'im. is all." Jim mused, his eyes shimmered with amusement as Johnsey puffed up. "shut up uncle Jim! you know dawg on well if I brung Nancy Ma woulda killed her before she got to the door!" Johnsey barked.

As his nephew's face started to turn red with anger, Jim cackled "calm down boy I'm only messin' wit'cha" said Jim. Johnsey side glanced at his uncle with a scowl "yeah I bet." he muttered.

After a few days travel, Cap, Cotton and Chyna were finally back in West Virginia, stopping at the Saloon Chyna found herself locked in a hug with Luella. "It felt like months!" Luella nearly wailed arms throne around Chyna's shoulders. "it was a few days, Lu, let her breath." Cap chuckled. "an' can't a month be described as a few days?" Luella shot back, Cap shook his head "I dont think m any folk woulda counted thirty days as a few. but we miss you too." Chyna said offering a smile as she pried her friend away.

With her back turned to Cap, Chyna threw Luella a look. raising one brow Luella watch Chyna "Cap, we gonna go on upstairs and catch up! besides,  you look like you could use a drink, we'll only be a while." Luella said quickly. Before Cap could answer she had Chyna by the hand, pulling her up the steps.

"girl moves fast in so high of heels." Cap muttered, Cotton had watered the horses  and entered in the Saloon. "why's Luella running off with Chyna so fast?" He asked his cousin. Cap chuckled "girls like to flap their gums anytime somethin' new happens. Luella don't go nowhere so, she's got lots she wants to hear. let 'em have fun." Cap said to Cotton before heading to a table.

Up the steps and in Luella's room, a loud squeal echoed off the walls. "oh sug, are you sure?" Luella questioned with a grin that threatened to swallow up her whole face. Chyna shook her head "I ain't, no." she said slowly. "but, what I thought was my flow wasn't much to speak of and ended just as quick as it arrived. I feel...funny...." Chyna explained quietly.  She timidly looked up towards Luella to find her nearly bursting at the seems. 

Chyna scowled and pointed at her "listen don't tell him nothin!" she warned.

Luella rolled her eyes and simpered "I wasn't gonna, that's the thing you gotta do. But if you wait to long, things happen and well...there's many a slip twix a cup an' a lip." she said. Chyna sighed and touched her stomach carefully.

"I thought you'd look happier." Luella commented. 

"I am, I'm just afraid is all. With all going on and with who we are, what-what it will be..." Chyna said, her voice getting smaller with each word. "So have him teach you how to protect it." Luella said with a shrug " its what we do 'round here, we don't get afraid and we don't give up, and that's how it is for all folk out here. That's why feuds last a lifetime." said Luella.

Chyna looked up at her "in a way that's kinda sad ain't it?" Chyna murmured. Luella stepping forward reached out and rested a hand on Chyna's stomach "if your right, you're gonna learn things ain't so sad when it comes down to your blood or theirs." Luella sighed. Glancing up at Chyna she managed to put on a smile "I better be the god mama or I'm gonna be awfully sore at you." Luella laughed.

"I can thin of two others you might have to fight, first." Chyna giggled.

--------------------------------------------------------

Meanwhile down the stairs in the Saloon, Cap exhaled finally able to relax. Sure bounty hunters were everywhere but this was home, and couldn't no one best him here. He enjoyed the familiar sounds of the saloon, took in the faces he had known all his life and slowly enjoyed his liqour. He had to admit, He missed Jon already, and the thought alone reminded him of all the friends he lost.

Looking down into his drink Cap sighed, couldn't relax yet, still had to check up on his folks, and then on Clint and Iris. He was almost itching to make sure they were all ok.

While lost in thought, soft fingers slipped over his shoulder, "excuse me sir, can I get you a bottle?" called a voice like a silver bell. "no thank you, ain't here for long." Cap said, whoever she was, she was standing on his bad side, even had he wanted to, he couldn't have looked at her.

"aw, come on, aint no fun in this place just sippin on a single glass is it?" the woman asked.

She watched him with sharp deepset eyes "I'm new 'round here, just came back from learnin' out west...maybe we can be friends?" She asked, rubbing Cap's shoulder with her thumb.

Cap, cleared his throat "well welcome to hell on earth, You picked the wrong time to move here Miss." He said, carefully, he brushed her hand away from his shoulder, and downed all the remained of his drink. "and I ain't looking for...them kinda friends." He added getting to his feet.

The woman rolled her hazel eyes and folded her arms  across her chest, "keep on then, but I ain't never met a man who didn't end up a friend'uh mine eventually." she said with a sly smirk. "names, Margaret, folk typically call me Peggy." She offered, her body simpered so often between talking that Cap was almost certain she was having a fit. 

"I'm not folk," He muttered under his breath, with a tip of his hat he offered a strained smile "good day to you miss." He said heading for the bottom of the stairs as fast as he could, spotting Luella heading down with Chyna.

"It's Peggy!" Margaret called after him with the smile of cat.

"the hell it is." Cap grumbled.

"what's wrong with you?" Chyna asked, noticing the long frown across Cap's face. "there's a gnat in here, that's all." Cap said. "gnats get on your nerves that bad?" Chyna laughed, Cap side glanced and Luella laughed silently "we gotta new girl workin' here. She's come form out west. went to school and all that." said Luella.

Chyna stood quietly for a moment, she didn't want to seem foolish, but the question was lingering in the back on her head "um...if she's got schoolin' an all...whys she move here, an workin here." Chyna asked. Cap laughed and threw his arm around her shoulder "you don't have to be shy," he said nudging his nose to her temple "I was wonderin' the same." he said.

"Margaret comes on a little strong, rumor is she came back because he Pa and Brother sank the family business, she's won't admit it, but I bet she was made to be here."  Luella explained.

Cap stood grinning quietly to himself as he looked down at Chyna, it was happening. She didn't notice, and neither did Luella. Others were watching, but Cap didn't see them or their glances. He made sure to stand perfectly still for fear if he shook her in the least, Chyna would bolt four feet away.

"Cap..." Luella called slowly, as she caught the wide grin on his face. "you ok? you look about ready for the looney home." Luella said. Chyna looked up at him, and laughed "what is it?" she asked. Cap's eyes narrowed at Luella  they hinted to her "shut up, you'll ruin it." as he glanced down briefly down to Chyna. 

Luella mouthed "oh" silently and giggled. "nothing, jus' good to be back." Cap said quickly.

The Saloon door opened and closed, and before anyone had a chance to look up "gawd dammit boy! Not in the light of day!" roared Cap's Uncle Jim. Chyna froze but Cap did not remove his arm around around her shoulders, with a slightly pull of his arm he tugged Chyna in closer to him. "to bad, this place is darker than I don't know what, hardly any day light coming in here Uncle Jim." Cap said with a cheeky grin. 

His eyes wandered over to Luella's father "and I dare a one of ya to say somethin." He said. Cap's gaze hardened into a cold glare as he looked over everyone in the saloon. Margaret scowled and with a wave of her hand wandered off to entertain someone else.

Chyna stood silently chewing her bottom lip, anxiously waiting for someone to rile up in protest. However, one by one, the patrons of the Saloon and those that worked there, look away and continued on in silence. Cap, slightly stunned at how well that work, smirked and turned a smug eye to his uncle "got anythin' else to say Uncle Jim?" he asked.

Jim grumbled to himself and turned to speak to Luella scowling "go fetch Howls Jr. some water!" Jim barked, leading his dog towards an empty table. Luella just held back her laugher "yes, Jim Vance...sir." she snickered quietly, heading for the bar.

Cap lead Chyna out the front door, once outside they looked to each other and slowly broke out into hushed laughter. Cotton's head popped out of the window of the wagon "you took a real long time, Can we go home now?" He asked. Cap gave him a smile "sure thing Cot, headed there now, I'm sure everyone miss ya awful bad." Cap said, helping Chyna climb up onto the front passengers seat. "Pardon and Biscuit are all ready to go!" Cotton called happily. He was proud that he did a good job taking care of the horses the whole way back. Chyna giggled "you named the other one biscuit?" she asked.

"She likes biscuits" Cotton said.  "Cotton Top you aint supposed ta-" Cap started, Chyna shook her head at Cap silencing him "he's having a good day, let 'im be." she whispered. Cap sighed "right, yeah. I'll let him know later. lets head on back." said Cap, and with a flick of the reigns, the wagon headed up the road, destined for misty hills.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.9K 176 83
Get ready to dive into the captivating story of teenage couples as they navigate the treacherous waters of high school and strive to make their relat...
24.7K 590 34
Landing on top of Robert she began to beat at his chest. "How dare you...you can't do this to me! You can't just show up when you feel like it and th...
135K 5.2K 60
**** COMPLETE **** This novel centers around Faith, a young black woman in her early 20s that's given up on the thought of love. That is until she fi...
2.3M 46.4K 52
I sit down on my bike looking around the school parking lot. Listening to music, I stand up begin to walk through the student-less parking lot. Hones...