|Red ➼ Fred Weasley|

By yoongicated

❝You know, you should dye your hair red.❞ ❝Er... why?❞ ❝So it'll match that fiery personality of yours.❞ ❝Or... More

└─»i n t r o d u c t i o n
└───»p a r t : 1
└────» p r o l o g u e
➼chapter 1; letters and freckles
➼chapter 2; tickets and squeals
➼chapter 3; floo powder and snow globes
➼chapter 4; trekking and tripping
➼ chapter 5; flustered and flirting
➼chapter 6; quidditch and visions
➼chapter 7; figures and fires
➼chapter 8; dark marks and dragon scars
➼chapter 9; dominos and ponytails
➼chapter 10; train rides and water balloons
➼chapter 12; schedules and predictions
➼chapter 13; curses and dark forces
➼chapter 14; quiet whispers and late-night snacks
➼chapter 15; red hair and mood rings
➼chapter 16; charms and lockets
➼chapter 17; handstands and hazy signs
➼chapter 18; beaubaxtons and durmstrang
➼chapter 19; goblets and surprises
➼chapter 20; seers and uncertainties
➼chapter 21; libel badges and hard hits
➼chapter 22; detentions and lessons
➼chapter 23; articles and bookstores
➼chapter 24; stupid books and suspicious sources
➼chapter 25; fiery dragons and orange peels
➼chapter 26; chaotic parties and moon globes
➼chapter 27; announcements and excitement
➼chapter 28; broken hearts and ball dates
➼chapter 29; swans and lions
➼chapter 30; sparkling and dazzling
➼chapter 31; formal dances and missed chances
➼chapter 32; black lakes and golden eggs
➼author's note :)

➼chapter 11; mad-eyes and tournaments

1.1K 47 46
By yoongicated

❁❁❁

Serena's eyes lit up as their empty dishes magically filled with mountains of mashed potatoes, chicken, toast, roast beef and other savory foods. "I think I'm in love," she sighed in content, eagerly piling her plate as Lee and the twins did the same.

After a delicious first course, the food vanished from sight as the Great Hall ceiling, enchanted to reflect the weather outside, let out a another clap of thunder. Puddings and cakes lined the Gryffindor table, and even though Serena was already full, that didn't stop her from grabbing the closest chocolate gateau.

Soon, the deserts disappeared as well, and every student in the Great Hall ended their conversations at once, turning towards the front. Professor Dumbledore stood with a smile on his face, silver beard shimmering in the candle light. "So, now that we are all fed and watered, I must once more ask for your attention, while I give out a few notices."

"Mr. Filch, the caretaker, has asked me to tell you that the list of objects forbidden inside the castle has this year been extended to include Screaming Yo-yos, Fanged Frisbees, and Ever-Bashing Boomerangs. The full list comprises some four hundred and thirty-seven items, I believe, and can be viewed in Mr. Filch's office, if anybody would like to check it."

The four sixth year Gryffindors snorted. "Seems like that list just expands every year, doesn't it?" Lee mused.

"We are quite the pranksters." Serena grinned.

They all turned their attention back to Dumbledore, just in time to hear him say, "It is also my painful duty to inform you that the Inter-House Quidditch Cup will not take place this year."

Serena's mouth hung open in horror. "What?" Fred and George were soundlessly mouthing at Dumbledore, apparently too appalled to speak.

Dumbledore continued over the protests. "This is due to an event that will be starting in October, and continuing throughout the school year, taking up much of the teachers' time and energy - but I am sure you will all enjoy it immensely. I have great pleasure in announcing that this year at Hogwarts -"

Dumbledore was interrupted by a deafening roar of thunder, followed by the Great Hall doors slamming open. Every head snapped towards the stranger standing in the doorway, leaning on staff, shaking the water out of his long, shaggy grey hair.

A strike of lightening illuminated the stranger's face, to which Serena gasped. A long gash crossed his scarred face, a piece of his nose missing. While one eye was small and dark, the other was perfectly circular and electric blue, dashing in every direction without blinking. "That's Mad-Eye Moody," Serena whispered in awe, watching as the man went up to Dumbledore, shaking his hand.

"Mad-Eye Moody?" George thoughtfully asked. "Isn't he that nutter -"

Serena looked personally offended by George's words. "He's not a nutter! He was an Auror, one of the best! Half the cells in Azkaban are full because of him." She the mumbled, "I-including the ones that killed my dad."

Fred looked at Serena, who was staring at Moody in admiration, wanting to say something to her, but wasn't given the chance when Dumbledore spoke again. "May I introduce our new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher, Professor Moody."

Dumbledore and Hagrid, the Care of Magical Creatures professor, were the only ones that clapped, the entire Hall too shocked by his eccentric appearance to do anything but stare. Not that Moody seemed to care, taking a swig of a peculiar flask from his cloak, completely unbothered by the lack of applause.

"As I was saying," Dumbledore continued, smiling at every student in the Hall, "we are to have the honor of hosting a very exciting event over the coming months, an event that has not been held for over a century. It is my very great pleasure to inform you that the Triwizard Tournament will be taking place at Hogwarts this year."

"You're JOKING!" Serena and Fred exclaimed together. As if the tension from Moody's arrival had shattered like glass, the entire Great Hall rumbled with laughter, even Dumbledore chuckled.

"I am not joking, Mr. Weasley, Miss. Mallard. Though now that you mention it, I did hear an excellent one over the summer about a troll, a hag, and a leprechaun who all go into a bar." After hearing Professor McGonagall clear her throat loudly, Dumbledore quickly went on to explain what the Triwizard Tournament was.

Serena, Lee, and the twins didn't look the slightest bit bothered by the death toll the Headmaster mentioned, talking excitedly amongst themselves as Dumbledore continued. "The heads of Beauxbatons and Durmstrang will be arriving with their short-listed contenders in October, and the selection of the three champions will take place at Halloween. An impartial judge will decide which students are most worthy to compete for the Triwizard Cup, the glory of their school, and a thousand Galleons personal prize money."

"I'm going for it!" Fred announced, face lit with enthusiasm at the idea of winning a thousand Galleons.

Serena fervently nodded. "No way am I passing up this golden opportunity!"

Before the two could continue their celebration, Dumbledore said, "Eager though I know all of you will be to bring the Triwizard Cup to Hogwarts, the heads of the participating schools, along with the Ministry of Magic, have agreed to impose an age restriction on contenders this year. Only students who are of age - that is to say, seventeen years or older - will be allowed to put forward their names for consideration." This brought a roar of outrage. Serena could clearly see Dumbledore's blue eyes flicker over Fred and George, who were looking furious.  "I therefore beg you not to waste your time submitting yourself if you are under seventeen."

Professor Dumbledore concluded this speech, and finally dismissed the Hall. Serena stood, glad for her height as she scanned the Hall for her friends. She saw Ramona, with Cedric of course, leading a group of Hufflepuff first years toward their common room, as both were prefects. She spotted Magnolia standing up from the Ravenclaw table, looking so utterly tired that Serena didn't bother going up to her, knowing all the girl wanted to do was crawl into bed right away.

Serena, noticing Lee Jordan had left with Angelina Johnson and Alicia Spinnet, sat back down beside the twins, who had not moved from their spots. George was glaring at Dumbledore. "They can't do that! We're seventeen in April, why can't we have a shot?"

"They're not stopping me entering." Fred shook his head stubbornly, a scowl on his face, while Serena tried to keep from laughing. "The champions'll get to do all sorts of stuff you'd never be allowed to do normally. And a thousand Galleons prize money!"

Ron, Harry, Hermione, and Iyla had appeared by the trio's side. "Yeah... yeah, a thousand Galleons. . ." Ron said, a faraway look on his face.

"Imagine being able to win all of that. We'd be set for life!" Iyla said excitedly.

"Come on," said Hermione, "we'll be the only ones left here if you don't move."

The group of seven set off for the entrance hall, Fred and George too busy to notice Serena's quiet laughter as they discussed what ways Dumbledore would use to stop anyone under seventeen from entering the tournament.

"Who's this impartial judge who's going to decide who the champions are?" asked Harry.

Fred shrugged. "Dunno, but it's them we'll have to fool. I reckon a couple of drops of an Aging Potion might do it, George..."

"Dumbledore knows you're not of age, though," Ron added.

"Do you think that'll stop those two from trying?" Iyla mused, George giving her a high-five.

"Yeah, but he's not the one who decides who the champion is, is he?" Fred shrewdly said. "Sounds to me like once this judge knows who wants to enter, he'll choose the best from each school and never mind how old they are. Dumbledore's trying to stop us giving our names."

"People have died, though!" said Hermione worriedly as the large group walked through a door hidden behind a tapestry and started up another, narrower staircase.

Fred waved her off. "Yeah, but that was years ago, wasn't it? Anyway, where's the fun without a bit of risk? Hey, Serena, what if we find out how to get 'round Dumbledore? Fancy entering?"

The six turned towards the girl, who let an easy going smirk form on her lips. "There's no need."

George furrowed his eyebrows. "What do you mean there's no need." His eyes widened. "You don't want to enter?!"

Serena laughed, smiling smugly at the twins. "Oh, I'm entering alright. But I don't need an Aging Potion to do it, since I'll be seventeen in October."

Everyone stopped walking as Iyla snorted. "Come off it, Serena. You're too clumsy to enter anyway. You'd be sent to the Hospital Wing five minutes in."

Serena flicked her sister's forehead. "Least I can enter. How old are you again? Fourteen? A literal child, Iyla."

"Ouch," Harry and Ron mumbled at the same time, to which Serena ruffled their hair.

"Well, I guess that means you're inclined to help us get in." Fred said, throwing an arm around Serena's shoulder.

"Yeah! An Aging Potion shouldn't be too hard to whip up, with three brains on the task." George said brightly.

"More like one and a two-quarters." Serena muttered, the twins throwing her sharp looks.

"Wouldn't it be cool to enter." Ron said. "But I s'pose they might want someone older.... Dunno if we've learned enough.. .

"I definitely haven't," Neville, who had suddenly appeared from behind the twins, said in a gloomy voice. "I expect my gran'd want me to try, though. She's always going on about how I should be upholding the family honor. I'll just have to -- oops. . ." The poor boy had accidentally sunk right through the the trick step on the staircase everyone else remembered to jump over. Harry and Ron hurriedly pulled the Neville to his feet, a suit of armor near by laughing at the embarrassed fourth year.

Ron banged on his metal head in response. "Shut it, you." The now group of eight finally made it to the Gryffindor Tower, the Fat Lady guarding the entrance in her pink dress as usual.

"Password?" She asked when they were in front of her.

"Balderdash," George said, "a prefect downstairs told me." The portrait swung open, revealing the cackling fire, squashy armchairs, and comfortable red couches Serena loved so much. They all walked in as she stared up at the golden chandeliers casting a warm glow over the common room.

The cosy and warm feeling of the room made Serena instantly drowsy. "Well, good luck with your master plan. I'll be heading to bed." Serena mumbled to Fred and George, who waved goodbye as she walked up the stairs to the girl's dormitories. Iyla and Hermione, who had walked up with her, bid her goodnight, to which Serena gave them a sweet smile. Going through the door labelled "Sixth Years," she saw Angelina and Alicia talking to each other from their beds. When they saw Serena, they immediately stood and wrapped her in a tight hug.

"Serena! How was your summer?" Angelina asked enthusiastically.

The girl smiled. "It was pretty boring at first, but we did go to the Quidditch World Cup! Definitely the highlight of my summer."

Alicia clapped her hands together in excitement. "That's amazing! I wanted to go, but right when my parents tried to grab a few tickets, they were sold out."

"Same here, so you've got to tell us everything!" Angelina said as the two pulled Serena, who was suddenly wide awake, to a spare bed, sitting eagerly in front of her.

Though Magnolia and Ramona are Serena's best friends, she was always close with Angelina and Alicia, as all three were the Gryffindor team chasers.

And so the trio caught each other up on their summers, and ended up talking for hours like they always did.

❁❁❁

Author's note:

The fact that I've gotten five hundred reads in ten days-

Why are people reading this terrible story 😭. But really, thank you all SO much for the reads, votes and comments. It's what motivates me to update daily :). Let's try to get this to one thousand 🤩.

Fair warning: this year is gonna be hectic. Like, really crazy.

But I hope this chapter was alright! And with lots of love,

~Lena

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

5K 233 13
❝freddie, focus on the letter. your grammar's atrocious.❞ ❝you know i can't focus when you sit so close to me.❞ arabella sayer is unusual. not quirky...
1.3M 39K 96
When Alice transfers from Beauxbatons to Hogwarts, everything changes, she leaves many things behind. Or at least she thinks she does. But then she m...
14.7K 474 31
Stick anyone with the last name Weasley underneath the Sorting Hat, and without a doubt, it'll shout "Gryffindor!" Unless said Weasley was Elizabeth...
26.9K 894 44
a theodore nott love story. starts at the gof started - 24/07/2023 finished - ? ( fem harry potter x theo nott) slowburn