The Captain of Gondor (A LoTR...

By musiclife123

"I swear an oath to protect my people, to serve my people and to fight for my people, until I am released by... More

Prologue (Edited)
Chapter 1-The Council of Elrond (Edited)
Chapter 2-Gilraen's Memorial (Edited)
Chapter 3-The Ring Goes South (Edited)
Chapter 4-The Mines of Moria (Edited)
Chapter 5-The Mines of Moria (cont.) (Edited)
Chapter 7-Journey down the Anduin River (Edited)
Chapter 8-The Breaking of the Fellowship (Edited)
Chapter 9-The Four Hunters (Edited)
Chapter 10-Fangorn Forest (Edited)
Chapter 11-The Golden Hall of Meduseld (Edited)
Chapter 12-The Exodus from Edoras (Edited)
Chapter 13-The Grace of the Valar (Edited)
Chapter 14-Preparing for Battle (Edited)
Chapter 15-The Battle of Helm's Deep (Edited)
Chapter 16-The Battle for Middle-Earth Begins...(Edited)
Chapter 17-Captain Salandiel (Edited)
Chapter 18-Saruman's Death (Edited)
Chapter 19-The Palantir (Edited)
Chapter 20-The Ride to Minas Tirith (Edited)
Chapter 21-Parting Ways (Edited)
Chapter 22-Osgiliath (Edited)
Chapter 23-Meeting with Lord Denethor (Edited)
Chapter 24-The Sacrifice of Faramir (Edited)
Chapter 25-The Siege of Gondor (Edited)
Chapter 26-Victory at Minas Tirith (Edited)
Chapter 27-The Houses of Healing (Edited)
Chapter 28-The Last Debate (Edited)
Chapter 29-The Mouth of Sauron (Edited)
Chapter 30-The Last Battle (Edited)
Chapter 31-The Return of the King (Edited)
NEW FANFICTION!!!

Chapter 6-Lothlórien (Edited)

2.3K 62 3
By musiclife123

The magnificent trees loomed over their heads as the autumn leaves danced on the ground. Not a sound could be heard except for the breathing of the company and the soft whisper of the wind in the trees. Or was it the wind? The wind sounded strange, as if it were living and breathing.

The Fellowship had entered the Woods of Lothlórien with Aragorn now leading the company.

"Stay close young hobbits!" said Gimli, "They say there's a great sorceress lives in these woods." 

Gimli lifted his axe, ready for an attack. 

"An Elf-witch of terrible power. All who look upon her fall under her spell..."

Salandiel could see all that was happening from her position at the back of the line. The wind swayed through the trees and Salandiel thought she heard the voice of a woman; a soft whisper gently playing in her mind. Salandiel shook her head and continued on; it was surely just the wind.

Gimli carried on speaking. 

"Well, here's one Dwarf she won't ensnare so easily. I have the eyes of a hawk and the ears of a fox!"

Without warning, an arrow pointed towards Gimli. In a matter of a moment the company were surrounded by elves, their bows loaded and ready to shoot.

"The dwarf breathes so loud we could have shot him in the dark."

~~~~~

"Mae govannen, Legolas Thranduilion (Welcome Legolas, son of Thranduil)"

Haldir, a tall and graceful elf, had led the Fellowship into one of the great trees and there he formally greeted them.

"Govannas vín gwennen le, Haldir o Lórien (Our Fellowship stands in your debt, Haldir of Lórien)" replied Legolas.

Haldir then turned to Aragorn and greeted him. 

"A Aragorn in Dúnedain istannen le ammen (And Aragorn of the Dúnedain, you are known to us)".

"Haldir," replied Aragorn respectfully.

Gimli grew impatient, not understanding what was being said. 

"So much for the legendary courtesy of the Elves! Speak words we can all understand!"

"We have not had dealings with the Dwarves since the Dark Days," replied Haldir, looking down on the dwarf.

"And do you know what this Dwarf says to that?" Gimli switched to his own tongue, "Ishkhaqi ai durugnul! (I spit upon your grave!)"

Aragorn quickly turned to him. 

"That was not so courteous."

Haldir walked up to Frodo and looked long on his face. 

"You bring great evil with you," said Haldir. 

He turned to address the rest of the Fellowship. 

"You can go no further."

~~~~~

Aragorn took Haldir aside and argued long with him. Salandiel sat down, took out her sword to clean it, and once more observed those around her. Her eyes caught Boromir talking to Frodo and she was surprised to see him actually comforting Frodo but still Salandiel tightened her grip on her sword. She did not trust him fully around the ring. But before anything could happen further, Haldir advanced towards the Fellowship. 

"You will follow me."

Haldir led them through a set of paths in the woods until they came to a hill overlooking Caras Galadhon.

"Caras Galadhon," said Haldir proudly, "The heart of Elvendom on earth. Realm of the Lord Celeborn and of Galadriel, Lady of Light."

The Fellowship arrived at Caras Galadhon and were amazed by its beauty. They walked up a magnificent winding staircase, high up in the trees, and were led to the grand court of Galadriel and Celeborn. The Lady and Lord of Lothlórien descended the small set of stairs, hand in hand. They glowed as brightly as the moon on a clear evening and the glow seemed to come from within them. As they descended, Aragorn touched his head reverently in greeting whilst the rest stood in awe.

With a strong voice Lord Celeborn spoke. 

"The Enemy knows you have entered here. What hope you had in secrecy is now gone. Nine that are here yet ten were set out from Rivendell. Tell me, where is Gandalf? For I much desire to speak with him. I can no longer see him from afar."

None could answer but Galadriel read the answer in the eyes of Aragorn.

"Gandalf the Grey did not pass the borders of this land," came the magical voice of Galadriel, "He has fallen into Shadow."

Legolas spoke for the group. 

"He was taken by both Shadow and Flame. A Balrog of Morgoth. For we went needlessly into the net of Moria."

The voice of Galadriel rung through the air, comforting. 

"Needless were none of the deeds of Gandalf in life. We do not yet know his full purpose," She turned her gaze towards Gimli, "Do not let the great emptiness of Khazad-Dúm fill your heart, Gimli, son of Gloin. For the world has grown full of peril. And in all lands love is now mingled with grief."

Salandiel noticed how Lady Galadriel moved her gaze from one person to the next. It was as if she was reading the minds of those present. Salandiel refused to meet her gaze for she, too, had heard of this powerful elf. Salandiel refused to let the voice of Galadriel enter her mind.

Celeborn spoke once more. 

"What now becomes of the Fellowship? Without Gandalf, hope is lost."

"The quest stands upon the edge of a knife," said Galadriel, "Stray but a little and it will fall to the ruin of all. Yet hope remains while the Company is true."

She smiled at Sam and continued.

"Do not let your hearts be troubled. Go now and rest for you are weary with sorrow and much toil. Tonight you will sleep in peace."

~~~~~

An area was provided for the company to rest. Beds had been prepared, food had been eaten and the singing of the elves in the trees filled the night air. The Fellowship felt safe within these lands and finally found rest from the world's troubles and their quest.

Aragorn noticed Boromir sitting alone and away from the company.

"Take some rest. These borders are well-protected," said Aragorn, taking a seat beside Boromir.

"I will find no rest here," started Boromir. 

He looked troubled as he continued to speak.

"I heard her voice inside my head. She spoke of my father and the fall of Gondor. She said to me that even now there is hope left." 

Despair filled Boromir's voice. 

"But I cannot see it. It is long since we had any hope. My father is a noble man, but his rule is failing. And now our people lose faith. He looks to me to make things right and I would do it. I would see the glory of Gondor restored."

Aragorn could see how troubled Boromir was. Despite all his doubt of him, Aragorn could still see how passionate Boromir was about his country and his people.

"Have you ever seen it, Aragorn?" asked Salandiel from behind them. 

Both Aragorn and Boromir, startled, turned to her voice. They hadn't noticed her standing there before.

"Seen what?" replied Aragorn.

Salandiel walked forward to stare into the night before them. 

"The glory of Gondor. The White Tower of Ecthelion, glimmering like a spike of pearl and silver. Its banners caught high in the morning breeze. Have you ever been called home by the clear ring of silver trumpets?" 

A smile spread across her face as she remembered her home country. Her heart yearned once more to return to Gondor, to her people. 

"I have seen the White City, long ago," spoke Aragorn quietly.

"One day, our paths will lead us there," said Boromir to Aragorn. 

He looked to Salandiel with hope in his eyes.

"All of us will be led there and the tower guards shall take up the call; 'The Lords and Captain of Gondor have returned!'"

"Do you really think that I would be welcomed back so warmly, Boromir?" asked Salandiel who continued to look out into the night.

"You were a great Captain and warrior who fought justly for her people."

Boromir looked down in shame. 

"I am just sorry I chose not to see that in you earlier."

Salandiel felt the pride swell in heart but it was quickly destroyed as the memory of her last day in Gondor filled her mind; when she had been banished by Lord Denethor. The smile slowly faded from her face and she turned around to face the two noble men.

"The day you both return to Gondor shall be great," she said with longing in her voice, "but I fear I will not be there to rejoice with you. I doubt I will be welcomed back with such triumph."

And with those last words she walked off into the night. So many memories had come flooding back, troubling her mind.

~~~~~

To still her troubled mind, Salandiel took to sitting on a large root of a tree, far from the company and took to cleaning her sword once more. Just as she felt her mind calming, she felt the presence of a magical being. Looking up she saw the beautiful Galadriel coming towards her. Salandiel quickly averted her gaze from the piercing eyes of Galadriel.

"Why do you turn your gaze away from me?" asked Galadriel with her powerful voice.

Salandiel grew defensive. 

"I do not wish for you to read my thoughts. They are mine and mine alone."

Salandiel felt uncomfortable under the scrutiny of Galadriel so she put her sword away and stood up to walk away. As Salandiel turned her back on the her, Galadriel spoke gently.

"You have suffered much loss in your life. You do not wish to open yourself up to others in the fear that you might get hurt again."

Salandiel quickly turned around. 

"How do you know such things?" asked Salandiel defensively, "I have not revealed anything to you. Did you read my thoughts?"

Galadriel gave a soft chuckle. 

"My dear Salandiel. I am not a mere 'mind reader'."

Galadriel walked forward, reached out her hand and gently stroked the hair back from Salandiel's face, like a mother would.  

"But your eyes do reveal so much," she said softly.

The Lady stunned Salandiel into silence. What exactly had her eyes revealed?

Galadriel continued to look gently into Salandiel's eyes. She gave Salandiel one last smile and gracefully walked away but before she was out of sight, Galadriel called back to Salandiel.

"Please rest. You are safe here."

And with one last look Galadriel was gone and Salandiel was left with much to think about.

Author's Note: Ugh I had so much fun writing this chapter. I think you got to see a bit more of who Salandiel is and I really enjoyed that moment between her, Aragorn and Boromir. What was your favourite part? And do you really think Boromir is all bad?

Hope you enjoyed it as much as I have loved writing it.

Much love!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

97.2K 2.6K 29
Ravera wakes up in Middle Earth with no idea how to get back. She soon finds out that everything that happened is exactly like the movie - word for w...
32.5K 1.1K 28
Y/n. A beautiful bliss among the Shire, and best friend to Peregrine Took, Meriadoc Brandybuck, Samwise Gamgee, and Frodo Baggins. She joins them o...
3.3K 93 23
Here I am back again with my Elfling series here is book l all over again If you haven't read The first or second, third or fourth book then I would...
287K 7.9K 36
Farren and her brother Aragorn have wandered Middle Earth for the best part of a century, however with the discovery of the One Ring Farren is thrown...