orenda [leo valdez]

Da undercoverlovr

❝if it doesn't burn a little, what is the point of playing with fire?❞ ⤷bridgett devoue orenda (n.) a mysti... Altro

μηδέν. Prologue
i. Extreme Rock Climbing
ii. Can't We All Just Be Friends?
iii. Daughter of War Hates Wars
iv. Leo Tames a Fire-Breathing Dragon
v. The Frozen Penthouse with Ice Brat
vi. Pathetic Flying Squirrels
vii. The Grass Laughs at Kira
viii. Chef Leo's Taco Garage Makes Tacos
ix. Piper is Abusive but Right
x. No One Ate Leo on Kira's Watch
xi. Crazed Satyrs and Evil Gold Men
xi. Shark Boy and Lava Girl
xiii. Leo Almost Pushes Thaila off a Cliff
xiv. Mellie and Hedge Sittin' in a Tree
xv. Taking a Cab Up Mount Diablo
xvi. Museum of Love
xvii. Ares tells Kira to Shut Up
xviii. No Romance in the Infirmary
xix. Annabeth: the Strict Chaperone
xx. Octavian Burns Teddy Bears
xxi. Jason Gets Hit with a Brick
xxii. The Dead Mom's Club Takes on Nymph Fan Club
xxiii. Coach Almost Takes Kira's Head (twice)
xxiv. Meeting Wine Dude, Jason's Brother
xxv. Matching Hoofprints on Foreheads
xxvi. Percy Leads His Friends into a Known Trap
xxvii. Frank the Godlfish
xxviii. Getting Chased by Dead Confederates
xxix. Keep it PG-13 on the Washing Machine
xxx. A Dolphin Breaks Kira's Door Down
xxxi. Jason Hates Wonder Bread
xxxii. Otis Doesn't Do His Pirouette
xxxiii. A Small Fall
xxxiv. Warrior with a Golden Heart
xxxv. The Angel Lady Voice in Tartarus
xxxvi. Aphrodite Throws a Shoe at Leo
xxxvii. The Evil Demon Grandmothers
xxxviii. Thank the Gods and Pass the Hot Sauce
xxxix. Percy Becomes an Thesaurus
xl. Bob's Wonderful Return
xli. Calypso is a Major Douche
xlii. Stomping on Tartarus' Heart (literally)
xliii. The Risky Elevator Ride
xliv. The Praetor Doesn't Like Kira's Boyfriend
xlv. Leo Hates Cheerio's
xlvi. Leo's Collection of Grenades
xlvii. Tying the Goddess of Victory Up in a Horse Stall
xlviii. Leo's Head Gets Stuck in a Toilet
xlix. Frank gets an Apple
l. The Snake King Brings Cake
li. The Unpredictable Variable
lii. Kira Defies the King of Gods
liv. Golden Sky
lv. The Aftermath
lvi. Anger
lvii. Percy Learns to Not Bet Against Kira
lviii. Don't Disrespect Leo Valdez
lix. Uprising of Frozen Fruit
lx. The God of the Sun Vomits on Kira
lxi. The Three-Legged Death Race
lxii. Aphrodite and Ares have Salad
lxiii. Apollo Rides Giant Flying Ants
lxv. Bliss
lxvi. Festus Declares War on Indiana
lxvii. A Magic Trainstation
lxviii. Sup, Cheese
lxix. Apollo is Trapped in a Net
lxx. When in Doubt, Tater Tots
lxxi. Old Enemies
lxxii. The Return of Meg McCaffrey
lxxiii. Imprisioned
lxxiv. The Bright Blue Cast
lxxv. Apollo Has a Problem with Controlling His Mouth
lxxvi. Never Rely on Apollo for a Plan
lxxvii. Hitting People with Dirty Rags
lxxviii. Hush, Woman
lxxix. Pancakes!
lxxx. Leo takes Tristian McLean to Oklahoma
lxxxi. The War of Sunscreen
lxxxii. Sherman Forgets How to Stand
lxxxiii. Flour War and Naked Cupcakes
lxxxiv. Their Happy Ending
lxxxv. Dancing in the Rain
lxxxvi. Don't Trust the Cheerleaders
lxxxvii. Epilogue

lxiv. Leo's a Jerk and Everyone Hates Him

3K 93 133
Da undercoverlovr

you feel like home

and everywhere i haven't been

all at once.

butterflies rising

△△△

She couldn't even remember how happy she had been. It had been greater then when she had told him she loved him, greater then when she laid in his arms above Tartarus, above any feeling she had ever known. After all the pain she had suffered, it all seemed worth it when she recognized the familiar dragon in the sky.

She tore across the camp, tears spilling down her cheeks. Her stomach did flips.

Leo had barely made it off the bronze dragon when she leapt into his arms, as if he would disappear if she didn't hold him tight enough. He stood frozen for a moment of shock, before he registered who she was.

Tears stained his shirt. His arm wrapped tightly around her waist, the other entangled in her hair.

The feeling was such complete bliss, so much that she didn't even register the other woman with him on the dragon for a few moments.

She let go of him after what felt like hours. It didn't matter, she had gotten her love back. Against all odds, she had gotten Leo back.

"This is her?" The woman asked in a defensive voice. Her hair was long caramel brown. Her almond-shaped eyes were dark and intelligent. She wore jeans, a white blouse, and a shocking-pink ski jacket. Leo looked up to her with an annoyed expression.

"Watch it, Calypso." He said. Calypso didn't look happy.

Kira turned to Leo. "Calypso? The one on the island?" She was suddenly very defensive, looking back and forth between the two.

Leo held up his arms. "Kira." He spoke softly. "It's you. It's always been you. I just gave her a ride here."

Calypso huffed. "She doesn't seem worth it. I'm an immortal goddess, and you chose some daughter of Ares with anger issues."

Leo looked angry now. "You're just jealous. Go up to camp and bother someone else."

Calypso surprisingly listened to him. She climbed off the dragon, giving Kira one more last resentful look before climbing up the hill.

Kira turned to Leo nervously. "You..you didn't, right?"

Leo's eyes widened. "Gods, no, Kira!" He pulled her closer to him. "I love you to ends of the world and back."

Kira just nodded, dread filling in her stomach.

"Hey," Leo lifted her chin with his thumb. "If I chose the island girl, would I keep this?" He pulled out a certain teddy bear. Kira's glossed over again. How in the world did Leo still have that stupid little bear from the aquarium?

Kira's lip trembled. She held the bear carefully, the one that they had named Cal.

"You came back." She whispered softly. Leo placed his hand carefully on her cheek, stroking a tear away.

"I will always find my way back to you."

Kira embraced him again, her wariness about Calypso was gone with the wind. She trusted Leo with her life, and Leo had come back.

A crowd had begun to form on the top of the hill. Kira cast a glance back at her friends, and back to her best friend.

"I think some people want to see you." She told him. Leo gave her a grin.

"Of course they do. I'm Bad Boy Supreme!" He announced, wrapping her in a tight hug, picking her up and twirling her around.

When they finally decided to face the crowd, she never left his side.

Percy and Apollo sat at the picnic table with Leo, Calypso, and Kira. The goddess never wavered her glare at the girl, as if she had personally been the one to stick her on the small island. Leo and Kira sat side-by-side, and he had a comforting arm around her shoulder. Of course, that only made Calypso more mad, but Kira couldn't care less. Percy looked extremely uncomfortable, but she had been told the story of him leaving Calypso on the island. When they first saw each other, Percy and Calypso had hugged awkwardly.

A line formed of demigods that wanted to punch poor Leo. Nico commandeered a dispenser from the snack bar and carried it around, yelling, "The line starts to the left! Orderly queue, guys!"

"Is this really necessary?" Leo asked.

"Yes," said Miranda Gardiner, who had drawn the first number. She punched Leo in the arm.

"Ow," said Leo.

"You're a jerk, and we all hate you," said Miranda. Then she hugged him and kissed his cheek. "If you ever disappear like that again, we'll line up to kill you."

"Okay, okay!"

"I can't believe it," Percy said as Miranda stalked away. "Six months—"

"I told you," Leo said. "We tried sending a holographic scroll. We tried Iris messages, dream visions, phone calls. Nothing worked.—Ow! Hey, Alice, how you doing?—Anyway, we ran into one crisis after another."

Calypso nodded. "Albania was particularly difficult."

From down the line, Nico di Angelo yelled, "Please do not mention Albania! Okay, who's next, folks? One line."

Damien White punched Leo's arm and walked away grinning. Kira was pretty sure the kid had never even talked to him, but Kira just smiled, putting her head on her now-not-dead-boyfriend.

Leo rubbed his bicep. "Hey, no fair. That guy's getting back in the line. So, like I was saying, if Festus hadn't picked up on that homing beacon yesterday, we'd still be flying around, looking for a way out of the Sea of Monsters."

"Oh, I hate that place," Percy said. "There's this big Cyclops, Polyphemus—"

"I know, right?" Leo agreed. "What is up with that guy's breath?" He paused, smiling at Kira. "Y'know, we could have used you. You would have killed him!" Calypso scowled.

"Boys," Calypso said, "perhaps we should focus on the present?"

"Yeah," Percy said. "So the communication issues...Rachel Dare thinks it's got something to do with this company, Triumvirate."

By the time six more people had punched Leo in the arm, Percy had brought Leo and Calypso up to speed.

Leo rubbed his new bruises. "Man, why does it not surprise me that modern corporations are run by zombie Roman emperors?"

"They are not zombies," Apollo said. "And I'm not sure they run all corporations—"

Leo waved away my explanation. "But they're trying to take over the Oracles."

"Yes," Apollo agreed.

"And that's bad."

"Very."

"So you need our help.—Ow! Hey, Sherman. Where'd you get the new scar, dude?"

While Sherman told Leo the story of Crotchkicker McCaffrey and the Demon Peach Baby, Kira laughed and helped tell the story. Sherman scowled, and she would admit she may have stretched the truth a tiny bit. Not to Sherman, though.

"Since leaving Ogygia, I have no powers," Calypso admitted. "I am fully mortal. I keep hoping, but—"

"You want a drink?" Percy asked.

Leo made no effort to offer, even though he was closer. He stayed where he was, arm slung across Kira.

"Here you go." Percy handed her a glass of lemonade.

It was Harley's turn. The little boy punched Leo, then threw his arms around him and broke down sobbing.

"Hey, brother." Leo ruffled his hair and had the good sense to look ashamed. "You brought me home with that beacon of yours, H-Meister. You're a hero! You know I never would've left you hanging like that on purpose, don't you?"

Harley wailed and sniffled and nodded. Then he punched Leo again and ran away. Leo looked like he was about to get sick. Harley was quite strong. Kira smiled at the little boy, she considered him to be like her younger brother.

"At any rate," Calypso said, "these problems with the Roman emperors—how can we help?"

Apollo raised my eyebrows. "You will help me and Kira, then? Despite...ah, well, I always knew you were kindhearted and forgiving, Calypso. I meant to visit you at Ogygia more often—"

"Spare me." Calypso sipped her lemonade. "I'll help you if Leo decides to help you, and he seems to have some affection for you. Why, I can't imagine."

Kira tried to keep her jealousy at bay. She didn't understand why it couldn't just be her, Apollo, and Leo. She had been stuck on an island for so long, she couldn't be that much help.

"I'm grateful. Leo Valdez, you have always been a gentleman and a genius. After all, you created the Valdezinator."

Leo grinned. "I did, didn't I? I suppose that was pretty awesome. So where is this next Oracle you—Ow!"

Nyssa had made it to the front of the line. She slapped Leo, then berated him in rapid Spanish.

"Yeah, okay, okay." Leo rubbed his face. "Dang, hermana, I love you, too!"

Kira laughed, giving a nod as a greeting to Nyssa. She smiled in response, moving out of line so others had their turn.

He turned his attention back to Apollo. "So this next Oracle, you said it was where?"

Percy tapped the picnic table. "Chiron and I were talking about this. He figures this triumvirate thingie...they probably divided America into three parts, with one emperor in charge of each. We know Nero is holed up in New York, so we're guessing this next Oracle is in the second dude's territory, maybe in the middle third of the U.S."

"Oh, the middle third of the U.S.!" Leo spread his arms. "Piece of torta, then. We'll just search the entire middle of the country!"

"Still with the sarcasm," Percy noted.

"Hey, man, I've sailed with the most sarcastic scalawags on the high seas."

Kira just shook her head, smiling lightly at Leo and Percy.

The last person to come through the line was Chiron himself, pushed in his wheelchair by Rachel Dare. The old centaur gave Leo a warm, fatherly smile. "My boy, I am so pleased to have you back. And you freed Calypso, I see. Well done, and welcome, both of you!" Chiron spread his arms for a hug.

"Uh, thanks, Chiron." Leo leaned forward.

From underneath Chiron's lap blanket, his equine foreleg shot out and implanted a hoof in Leo's gut. Then, just as quickly, the leg disappeared. "Mr. Valdez," Chiron said in the same kindly tone, "if you ever pull a stunt like that again—"

"I got it, I got it!" Leo rubbed his stomach. "Dang, for a teacher, you got a heck of a high kick."

Rachel grinned and wheeled Chiron away. Kira and Percy helped Leo to his feet. Calypso had moved to help, but Kira beat her to it. The way the girl was acting reminded her of how Hazel treated her in the beginning of the quest, and she wasn't sure how many more girls she could tolerate trying to steal her boyfriend.

"Yo, Nico," Leo called, "please tell me that's it for the physical abuse."

"For now." Nico smiled. "We're still trying to get in touch with the West Coast. You'll have a few dozen people out there who will definitely want to hit you."

Leo winced. "Yeah, that's something to look forward to. Well, I guess I'd better keep my strength up. Where do you guys eat lunch now that the Colossus stepped on the dining pavilion?"

Percy left that night just before dinner.

He met with Calypso, Leo, and Kira at the beach.

Percy reminded her that Annabeth would murder her if she died, and he would be second in line.

"Missed you too, Jackson," Kira said, her face smiling and kind. Ever since she saw Festus in the sky, she didn't think she ever stopped smiling.

"Stay alive, Willows," Percy told her. "I mean it."

Percy and Leo embraced. Calypso even pecked Percy on the cheek. Then the son of Poseidon waded into Long Island Sound with his extremely large dog and they both disappeared underwater.

Dinner was served on blankets around the hearth, which blazed with Hestia's warmth and kept away the winter chill. Festus the dragon sniffed around the perimeter of the cabins, occasionally blowing fire into the sky for no apparent reason.

"He got a little dinged up in Corsica," Leo explained. "Sometimes he spews randomly like that."

"He hasn't blowtorched anyone important yet," Calypso added, her eyebrow arched. "We'll see how he likes you."

Kira couldn't help scowl, glaring at the blanket that stratched at her legs uncomfortably. She knew she would have to deal with their friendship, but she didn't trust Calypso. Whatever she had for Leo, she clearly wasn't going to give it up easily.

"I had planned to go with just Kira," Apollo told them. "The prophecy from Dodona speaks of the bronze fire-eater, but...it feels wrong for me to ask you to risk your lives. You have been through so much just to get here."

"Gee, Apollo," Kira said jokingly. "Glad to know my life matters, too,"

Leo pulled her closer into a comforting hug. "Your life means a lot to me,"

"It better," Kira told him, and the two burst out laughing. They hadn't been able to to bicker in over 6 months.

Calypso tilted her head towards Apollo. "Perhaps you have changed. That does not sound like the Apollo I remember. You definitely are not as handsome."

"I am still quite handsome," Apollo protested. "I just need to clear up this acne."

She smirked. "So you haven't completely lost your big head."

"I beg your pardon?"

"Guys," Leo interrupted, "if we're going to travel together, let's try to keep it friendly." He glanced between Kira and Calypso, but neither girl looked to each other.

He pressed an ice pack to his bruised bicep. "Besides, we were planning to head west anyway. I got to find my peeps Jason and Piper and Frank and Hazel and...well, pretty much everybody at Camp Jupiter, I guess. It'll be fun."

"Fun?" Apollo asked. "The Oracle of Trophonius will supposedly swallow me in death and madness. Even if I survive that, my other trials will no doubt be long, harrowing, and quite possibly fatal."

"Exactly, fun." Leo and Kira said at once, shooting each other a fond look.

"Jinks!" Kira called.

"I don't know about calling the whole quest thing Apollo's trials, though. I think we should call it Leo Valdez's Victory Lap World Tour." Leo said.

Calypso laughed louder then she probably should have. If either boy noticed the tension, they didn't say anything.

"Hey, man," Leo told Apollo. "Don't look so glum. We'll find her."

"What?"

"Your friend Meg. We'll find her. Don't worry."

Kira frowned at the mention of Meg. "We have to find her," Kira murmured, but they heard her.

"Meg knows the prophecy," Apollo said. "If she tells Nero, he will know our plans as well."

Calypso took a bite of her apple. "I missed the whole Roman Empire. How bad can one emperor be?"

"Bad," Apollo assured her. "And he is allied with two others. We don't know which ones, but it's safe to assume they are equally cutthroat. They've had centuries to amass fortunes, acquire property, build armies...Who knows what they are capable of?"

"Eh," Leo said. "We took down Gaea in, like, forty seconds. This'll be easy squeezy."

"Uh, Leo, you died," Kira imformed him, but he waved his hand as if that wasn't important important information.

"We'll succeed," Calypso said. "We must. So we will. I have been trapped on an island for thousands of years. I don't know how long this mortal life will be, but I intend to live fully and without fear."

Leo grinned. "In the morning we'll start getting our supplies together. As soon as Festus gets a tune-up and an oil change, we'll be good to go."

Before Kira had time to process leaving her friends again, Will Solace stepped into the light of the hearth. "Hey, everybody! We've started a bonfire in the amphitheater! Sing-along time. Come on!"

Groans were mixed in with the cheers, but most everyone got to their feet and ambled toward the bonfire now blazing in the distance, where Nico di Angelo stood silhouetted in the flames, preparing rows of marshmallows on what looked like femur bones.

"Aw, man." Leo winced. "I'm terrible at sing-alongs. I always clap and do the 'Old MacDonald' sounds at the wrong time. Can we skip this?"

"Oh, no." Apollo rose to his feet. "Singing is good for the spirits. You should never miss an opportunity to sing."

Calypso smiled. "I can't believe I'm saying this, but for once I agree with Apollo. Come on, Leo. I'll teach you to harmonize."

Kira frowned, watching Leo leave with her. He turned to beckon her to come with him, but she motioned that she needed a minute.

Apollo stared at her.

"You know," He drawled. "I may not be a god at the moment, but I can sense your jealousy from a mile away."

Kira heaved a sigh. "I just got him back, 'Pollo." His eyebrows furrowed at the nickname, but said nothing. "I don't want to lost him again."

"He loves you more then anything, Kira," Apollo told her. "You must understand that you fell in love with a very stupid boy. He doesn't understand Calypso likes him. He thinks she is a friend."

Kria didm't respond. Apollo sighed drastically. "Can't you see the way his face lights up when he sees you?" Kira's skin turned pink, flustered.

Kira fiddled with her star charm. "Why does she have to come?" She blurted. She watched as campers stared at her as she sang in the fire light. Leo was looking at Apollo and Kira talking. "The three of us should go. She's gonna, like, push me down a cliff or something."

Apollo chuckled. "I hope not. We need the power, however. Calypso completes the four people that should be sent on a quest."

Kira frowned, but she knew he was right. She just couldn't shake her bad feeling of Calypso. She had been so rude to her when she had reunited with Leo.

Apollo rolled his eyes. "Stop overthinking and go get your boyfriend."

Kira smiled. No matter what happened, Leo had come back, 100% alive. "Thanks, 'Pollo." She told him, running off to go annoy Leo Valdez.

E N D   O F    T R I A L S   O F    A P O L L O

Admittedly, I have no idea how I am going to write this book. I'm not sure whether I want Kira and Leo to go through some issues, and how I will protray them, but I will figure it all out in due time.

Thank you guys so much for the unwavering support you have shone me throughout this book. It truly means the world to me.

Continua a leggere

Ti piacerà anche

3K 70 19
"i thought the plane was going down, how'd you turn it right around?" [Seven half-bloods shall answer the call. To storm or fire the world must fall...
8.8K 693 64
"The Olympians have been called many things, but forgiving is not one of them." * - * - * [adventure, dark comedy, romance - book 1] Loyalty. What d...
103K 4.8K 35
━━ 𝐆𝐑𝐄𝐄𝐊 𝐓𝐑𝐀𝐆𝐄𝐃𝐘! ❝ i can't control tragedy, only my fear of it ❞ 𝙞𝙣 𝙬𝙝𝙞𝙘𝙝 𝙩𝙝𝙚 daughter ...
35.1K 1K 56
Ignis fatuus; noun, Latin ig·​nis fat·​u·​us | \ ˈig-nəs-ˈfa-chə-wəs , -ˈfach-wəs \ 1 : a light that sometimes appears in the night 2 : a deceptive...