Pulled by Roses- A War of the...

By firebolt36

Lady Kathryn, better known as Katy, lived a simple life in Ireland. That is until her father was accused of t... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Chapter Thirty-Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty-Two
Chapter Forty-Three
Chapter Forty-Four
Chapter Forty-Five
Chapter Forty-Six
Chapter Forty-Seven
Chapter Forty-Eight
Chapter Forty-Nine
Chapter Fifty
Chapter Fifty-One
Chapter Fifty-Two
Chapter Fifty-Three

Chapter Forty-One

701 26 13
By firebolt36

June, 1471

Katy rushed through Westminster, running behind a large curtain. She remained perfectly still, listening to the small patter of feet around her. Katy dared not move, holding her breath.

"Uncle Richard! Where is she?" Lizzie called, rushing by Katy.

"I fear I do not know, girls," Richard teased. Richard's soft whispers filled the air followed by silence. The curtain was ripped from the wall, followed by Lizzie and Mary's small laughs. Katy turned to run from them, only to be engulfed by Richard's arms. "We've got you now!" Katy laughed, squirming in his arms. "Get her girls!" The two girls latched onto Katy's legs, pulling her down to ground. Lizzie and Mary climbed onto Katy's lap, both beaming.

"We've won!"

"What do we get?" Lizzie clapped. Katy pulled out two small cakes from her dress, handing them to the princesses. Both squealed with joy, quickly devouring them.

"And where is my sweet treat?" Richard questioned, collapsing next to her.

"You will get nothing, as you cheated." Richard smirked, lightly putting his lips on hers.

"That will have to do then." Katy rolled her eyes and the small girls stood from her, giggling and laughing. "Girls, I should like to speak with the duchess alone, then we can play more." Both nodded and ran away, back towards their mother's chambers. Richard helped Katy to her feet. "We are due to stay in London for a while. Edward has asked a lot of me, and I must ask for your cooperation." Katy beamed, taking his hand and placing it on her stomach. Richard furrowed his brows, looking at his hand.

"It would not be ideal for me to travel during this time," she advised. Richard's eyes grew large, darting from his hands to her face.

"No. No! You are with child? Why have you not told me sooner?" Richard dropped to his knees, kissing her slightly bulging belly. Katy looked down at him, her face glowing.

"I only just confirmed it myself. My last blood was before your return, but I was worried it may be false. The physician confirmed it this morning." He crashed his lips onto hers, embracing her. Richard picked her up and spun her round, laughing and grinning. "Look how excited you are! We were always meant to have children!"

"Is it a boy? It does not matter if it is not, we will have others. How long do they expect?"

"We have awhile, Richard," Katy placed her hand on his shoulder. "Though if it is a boy, I should like him to be called John. Lord Mayor deserves to have his son's memory live on."

"You shall have anything you like." Anne rushed through the corridor, briefly dropping herself, keeping her head down. "Lady Anne?" Richard called, concerned. She paid no attention to him, walking away.

"You ought to speak with her. Clearly, she is distressed," Katy whispered, watching her scurry away. Richard placed his lips on her hand, before running towards Anne, calling her name. Katy turned, immediately crashing into a person.

"Dear sister," Edward cooed. Katy curtseyed, smilingly slightly. "I have been looking for you."

"Your Grace. To what do I owe the pleasure?"

"I should like to show you something." Edward gave her his arm, leading her down the corridor. "You are glowing."

"Thank you, your Grace. I am quite happy being back in London," she lied. Richard should be the one to tell his brother of her pregnancy.

"I glad, as I am sure Richard has spoken to you of how I request your presence longer than anticipated."

"He has mentioned it, yes." Edward moved towards the balcony, overlooking the vast, green gardens. In the distance, large tents were being assembled. Bright red and blue covered the green foliage. "We are due to celebrate our victory, Katy." Katy nodded in agreement, unknowingly placing her hand on her stomach. "A tournament seems in order."

"I have not seen a tournament!" She exclaimed excitedly. Katy smiled at Edward, beaming at his words.

"As you may know, the Queen is with child. I will have no one to sit with me. I should like you to fill her role, at my right hand." Katy felt a surge of adrenaline, swallowing dryly.

"What of Richard?"

"He will participate in the festivities, of course." Edward leaned on the stone, looking over his kingdom. Richard was unhappy with Edward's sudden interest in Katy. Edward had many whores, some of whom were married to high ranking nobles, but he seemed especially interested in Katy currently. "I should like for you to wear this," he waved his hand and two women brought a blue and crimson dress.

"Your Grace, I cannot accept such a gift."

"You will look beautiful in it. You do not have the choice but to please your King." Edward sensed her sudden tension, placing his hand on her stomach. "Katy, you have nothing to fear. I know of your condition. And I may tease Richard, but I should never cause you nor him intentional harm. You are in my favor. He will not object to you hosting our festivities, though you may ask him if that will give you peace of mind."

"How did you know?" Katy questioned, looking into his light eyes.

"I have many children; I know the signs. Richard is too young to know how a woman will change to house his child. I am very excited to meet my nephew."

"Why not Isabel, if you do not mind me asking?"

"You will be a much more fun companion than she," he spoke bluntly. "I look forward to your entertainment and I rather enjoy your company."

"Your Grace," Katy began, now realizing the opportunity given to her. "I will be honored to sit at your right hand for your tournament. But I must confess, I am rather concerned for the wellbeing of Lady Anne Neville."

"She is well taken care of, Katy. Under George and Isabel's care, I believe." Katy nodded, walking with Edward.

"I believe she may learn much in my household."

"Have you spoke of this to Isabel?"

"The Duchess of Clarence does not find me in her favor," Katy whispered. "I am rather a nuisance for her, it would seem."

"Let George and Richard discuss the matter. George is her guardian and he will ensure her wellbeing." Edward paused, looking down at Katy, eyes saddened. "I have some news for you about Mr. Mortimer."

"He has not been sentenced? He committed treason, your Grace!"

"Lord Lovell has approached me with horrifying information about his true intentions. I feel as you were due to know, we are staying his execution until this motivation is brought to light."

"What if he escapes? What am I to do? I fear he would come for me first." Edward said nothing, now knowing the man's true plan for Katy.

"He is locked in the Tower. I have given strict instructions to keep him there."

"What information could stay his execution?" Edward breathed in, unsure what to say to the woman before him.

"I am not at liberty to share."

"Pl- "

"And I command you to not speak of this to anyone." Katy bit her tongue, looking away from him and nodding. "Especially Richard. I must tell him when the time is right." Edward looked at her shaking hands, and he breathed shakily. "You have my word, no harm will come to you," he wrapped his around hers, attempting to calm her.

"I am scared of him," she whispered. "He can do things I never imagined humanly possible." Footsteps filled the corridor and Katy turned to face the new sound. Small sounds of arguing filled the air, one's Katy recognized immediately.

"Brother and Sister," George bowed to Katy and Edward. Katy curtseyed to him, releasing her hands from Edwards. "And what happens here?"

"Tis nothing, George," Edward quickly asserted. George motioned his head as Richard turned down the corridor.

"We are not finished yet, Brother." George moved to the side, exposing Katy with his brothers. Her skin was pale, and her eyes darted over the room. "You look like you've a fright, Katy."

"Perhaps you should worry about the well-being of your wife and not of my dear sister, Anne."

"It is nothing," Katy lied. She moved towards him, putting her hand on his shoulder and kissing his cheek. "I shall be in my chambers should you need me." She curtseyed to the York brothers and walked quickly away, as to not arise suspicion.

"What are your intentions with her?" Richard called.

"What are yours? Anne Neville loves you, dear brother, but does she know you will never love her like you love Katy? Or have you lied to her about your feelings?" George quickly responded. The conversation drowned out as Katy moved away. She passed Isabel, who looked slightly to her. Anne rushed behind her, calling her name. Katy smiled at the girl, who curtseyed to her. Katy's heart was shattering, from her own fear and now from Anne's want to be accepted by her sister, to have their old relationship. She felt a sharp pain in her stomach, wincing slightly and grabbing it.

"Katy!" Queen Elizabeth rushed towards her. "What is wrong?"

"I just need to lay down. I fear I have experienced much excitement today and it has worn on me." Elizabeth remained quiet, looking at Katy fake a smile before her.

"How far are you, your Grace?" Jacquetta walked from behind her.

"Mother?"

"With the child you hold?" Elizabeth looked at Katy, now noticing her only slightly large belly. It was easily hidden, except to those who know her well.

"Three months, Lady Rivers." Elizabeth smiled and laughed, hugging her dear friend and singing her praises. Katy continued to fake a smile, not wanting to ruin this kind moment, but she was crumbling on the inside.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

76.3K 3.2K 28
Despite being nearly twenty-two, I had considered my life all but over before I went through the stones. My mother, father, and husband were all dead...
3.2K 202 27
When the Avengers devised a plan to infiltrate HYDRA's base and capture the Winter Soldier, they were missing one crucial part of their mission. Elys...
531K 33.5K 122
A girl named Drishti falls into the era of Mahabharata and everything in her life goes upside down. Read to find out about Drishti's adventures in t...
7.7K 190 34
Long before the age of the Golden Trio, there were the Marauders. James, the ring-leader. Sirius, the run-away. Remus, the werewolf. Peter, the quiet...