The Everyday Adventures of Sa...

By LBrooks23

This is a spinoff series of "Assisting Miss Adams" (GirlxGirl): After moving away from Baldwin the summer a... More

PLEASE READ!
Pilot [S1: E1]
Growing Pains [S1:E2]
Happy Birthday [S1:E3]
Grand Opening [S1:E4]
Counterpart [S1:E5]
Ladies Night [S1:E6]
For Fifty Bucks and a Latte[S1:E7]
Homecoming [S1:E8]
Welcome Home, Charlie [S1:E9]
Give Her a Chance [S1:E10]
A Bad Day [S1:E11]
Happy Halloween [S1:E12]
The Vandal [S1:E13]
In Sickness And In Health [S1:E14]
Happy Thanksgiving [S1:E15]
Franki and the Broken Heart Army [S1:E16]
Study Break [S1:E17]
Awkward Reunion [S1:E18]
Merry Christmas [S1:E19]
Meg's Big Day [S1:E20]
New Year, New Problems [S1:E21]
Damage Control [S2:E1]
New Hire [S2:E2]
An Untimely Return [S2:E3]
Old Habits [S2:E4]
Valentines Day [S2:E5]
When Trouble Calls [S2:E6]
The Morning After [S2:E7]
Break [S2:E8]
Spiral [S2:E9]
Two Sides [S2:E10]
Glass[S2:E11]
Jump [S2:E12]
Bad to Worse[S2:E13]
Expose [S2:E14]
To Start A Fire [S2:E15]
No Control [S2:E16]
Propositions [S2:E17]
The Breakdown [S2:E18]
A Blessing [S2:E19]
That's a Wrap [S2:E20]
Season 3: Episode 1
Season 3: Episode 2
Season 3: Episode 3
Season 3: Episode 4
Season 3: Episode 5
Season 3: Episode 6
Season 3: Episode 7
Season 3: Episode 8
Season 3: Episode 9
Season 3: Episode 10
Season 3: Episode 11
Season 3: Episode 12
Season 3: Episode 13
Season 3: Episode 14
Season 3: Episode 15
Season 3: Episode 16
Season 3: Episode 17
Season 3: Episode 18
Season 3: Episode 19
Season 3: Episode 20
Season 3: Episode 21
Season 4: Episode 1
Season 4: Episode 2
Season 4: Episode 3
Season 4: Episode 4
Season 4: Episode 5
Season 4: Episode 6
Season 4: Episode 7
Season 4: Episode 8
Season 4: Episode 10
Season 4: Episode 11
Season 4: Episode 12
Season 4: Episode 13
Season 4: Episode 14
Season 4: Episode 15
Season 4: Episode 16
Season 4: Episode 17
Season 4: Episode 18
Season 4: Episode 19
Season 4 Finale "A Look Forward"
Ending Note
Amazon's Panic! Campaign AU Chapter

Season 4: Episode 9

18K 984 572
By LBrooks23

| April 26th | Friday Afternoon |

~ Sam's POV ~

Today was supposed to be a good day.

I twist my ring anxiously against my finger as I watch the news and take it in. None of what is being said surprises me, but that doesn't mean I'm numb to it all. I stop twisting my engagement ring and instead pet Charlie for comfort, who seems to sense my worry and sadness while I stare blankly at the television.

"... The president's administration has proposed to roll back federal 'anti-discrimination' regulations that were previously implemented to protect members of the LGBTQ+ community – specifically trans people – from medical discrimination based on sexual orientation and gender in a healthcare setting..."

Without much hesitation, I instinctively turn off the television and stand from the couch. Charlie sighs in disappointment, but I numbly walk to my room to start getting dressed for work tonight. I ponder what I've just heard on the news and shake my head in anger and confusion but remain unable to understand why our current president and his administration would even suggest such an idea. Especially considering all the other way more important issues our country faces.

The drive to work consists of silence since I refuse to turn on the radio in fear of hearing more bad news. I don't talk to anyone when I arrive and keep to myself while I check the act for tonight and hope it's a good one. Usually Friday night bands were.

"Franki Cannon," I read aloud. "Why does that name sound familiar?"

"Well, she's one of the hottest indie acts in the game right now," Chris says behind me.

"Really?" I ask.

"Absolutely." He finds the cash lockbox hidden in the office desk. "She's also LGBTQ+."

I raise my brows with pleasant surprise and begin to look forward to tonight's show. I instantly text Megan to let her know about it and she responds with excitement and tells me she'll be here. With the stress of worrying about Ava recently, I figure she can use a night of fun.

Dane walks through the door and I happily greet him, but there's a look on his face that tells me something's wrong. I meet him at the timeclock and lean against the wall.

"You okay?" I ask.

"Yeah." He shakes his head. "Just annoyed."

"With?"

He takes a big breath. "Did you hear about what president Nutjob and his administration proposed today?"

Suddenly, reality sets back in and the sadness returns. It feels like an aching wound that never gets to heal due to constant abuse. All I can manage is a nod and a hollow "yeah" in response to Dane's question.

"It's bullshit," he hisses.

"How's J.C. taking it?" I ask.

"Not good." I follow Dane to the bar. "J has the most reason to be worried, so it makes sense. I just don't understand why something like this was even proposed in the first place. Presidents should want to build on progress, not destroy it."

"I wonder if the attack on our community will ever stop," I say.

"Sounds like wishful thinking to me."

Then the conversation ends, and I decide not to talk about it much more. I didn't want to dwell on it before the shift because it would just damper our workflow. All I wanted to think about was making sure tonight went smoothly and spend time with my fiancée, so I push the thoughts of fear to the back of my mind and decide to cope with them later.

Eventually the band starts to show up and bring in their equipment and sound check. None of the members strike me as a Franki Cannon, so I figure they just haven't showed up yet. Then, when a bleach-blond woman dressed in all-black attire enters, I recognize her immediately. The way her eyes light up at the sight of me indicates she does the same.

"This really is a small world, isn't it?" she teases. "You're a long way from Missouri."

"I guess it is." I extend my hand for her to take. "What happened to the Broken Hearts Army?"

"Ah, they're still around." She points to the stage where her band continues to set up. "But we got signed to a label and... well, you know how it goes. We just rebranded."

"Congrats on getting signed," I say.

"Thanks." She notices the ring on my left hand. "And congrats to you, too, apparently. You weren't wearing a ring last time I saw you."

I just laugh and thank her.

Of course, she would remember that.

"Franki get up here!" one of the band members shout. "We need to sound check your vocals!"

She ends the interaction and I find myself pleasantly surprised with who will be performing tonight. Her and her band were amazing the first time I had seen them at Jinx, I could only imagine how much better they've probably gotten over the years. I text Megan enthusiastically to let her know.

Megan: The flirty one that you were so jealous of?

Sam: Yes. That one. You just had to bring that up, didn't you?

Megan: Duh. I like teasing you about it.

Sam: You like teasing me about a lot.

Megan: I mean... I can tease you in other ways too...

I feel my face heat up in response to her most recent text and hurry to cover my phone in case anyone decides to be nosy. Once I find a secluded spot and listen to Franki check her vocals, I respond to Megan.

Sam: Oh yeah? What are these other ways?

Megan: Hmm. You'll see.

I smirk to myself a decide to leave her hanging to heighten the tension she's created. Suddenly, I'm even more excited to see her tonight. The nervous jitters of anticipation begin to make my body buzz and shake.

Sound check ends, the bar is stocked, and the doors open as we near show time. I had given the bouncer Megan's name so she wouldn't have to worry about cover and before I know it, the place is filled with a crowd that is electric. House music flows through our speakers as anticipation for Franki grows and I search for Megan's face in the growing crowd. Then I spot her walk in and make my way over.

I grab her waist before she can spot me and bring my lips to her ear.

"Did you get all hot tonight just for me?" I whisper.

"Don't be silly." She turns around with a smirk. "It's obviously for Franki."

I narrow my eyes at her teasing and give her a quick kiss as she laughs.

"Of course, I got hot for you and only you, babe," she whispers into my mouth.

I admire Megan and take in her alluring outfit that consists of tight, distressed, midnight black jeans and a dark red, halter top that stops right above the waistline of her jeans. Suddenly, I realize we should go out more together when the school year ends.

"I am excited to see Franki perform again, though," Megan reveals. "She was great when we first watched her. She's gotta be even better now."

"It shouldn't be long until she starts," I say. "Do you want a drink?"

"I wouldn't mind."

Megan follows me to the bar where Dane spots us and waves us over. When we make it closer, he leans over the bar and talks over the crowd.

"What do you want to drink?" he asks Megan.

Just as Megan answers him I get a call to the kitchen to help run food to some nearby tables. I dismiss myself and fulfill my managerial duties, and before I know it the show is starting. I listen to Franki talk and sing, occasionally peek over at Megan and Dane talking and listening and watch the crowd vibe and have a good time. Eventually we slow down while people settle in for the show and I rejoin my friend and fiancée.

"She's even better than I expected," Megan says to me.

"Her voice is crystal clear, and those lyrics..." Dane admires.

Franki and her band had come a long way, and the crowd is entranced by her talent. The electro pop sound fills the room and seems to create a safe space that allows people to feel secure as they sway and sing together. Couples, of all colors, hug and kiss each other. It's a beautiful sight, and after the horrible news our government had delivered this morning, it was a breath of fresh air.

"Alright..." Franki announces after finishing a song. "This is gonna be our last song for tonight, but please, stick around and come say hey at the merch table." She slings an acoustic guitar over her shoulder. "This last song goes out to everyone who's been feeling crushed under the oppression and hate our current president seems to be creating..." She tunes her guitar a bit. "Just remember, we're stronger together, and love will always conquer hate."

The crowd cheers as she strikes a chord and music starts. I hug Megan in that moment and thank God that I have her. I sing along to the chorus best I can and dance close to my fiancée while the song progresses. Then suddenly, a breakdown occurs, and the lights focus in on Franki, who is now the only one playing her instrument.

"... They will try to make you unhappy. Don't let them...

... They will try to tell you you're not free. Don't listen...

... I know a place where you don't need protection....

... Even if it's only in my imagination...

... Even if our skin or our gods look different...

... I believe all human life is significant...

... I throw my arms open wide in resistance!

... He's not my leader even if he's my president!"

Suddenly tears well in my eyes as the rest of the band comes back in to finish out the song. The crowd cheers manically at the moving words and Megan turns and kisses me softly on the lips. I hold her close and dance to the outro of the song in response.

* * *

After the show and Crossroads is cleaned, I find Megan nursing her last drink at the bar with Dane. The show tonight had been one of the best I've seen in a while, and hope Franki and her band return soon. The love and acceptance she had been able to produce was magnificent. She's a beacon of hope to a lot of people in the middle of dark times.

"What a great show," Dane says while gathering his things. "I mean, I'm blown away."

"She's so good," I agree.

Megan takes my hand, indicating she's ready to leave.

The three of us head out and say our goodbyes, but on the way home, I feel a small bit of negative tension in the air.

"Are you okay?" I ask Megan. "You're quiet."

"Just..." She pauses. "Do you think he'll ever stop attacking all the progress we've made over the years?"

I clench my jaw as I try to think positive, but it's hard. Ever since President Nutjob had gotten elected, his policies have been spiteful and hate-filled against our community. Sometimes, I fear he and his administration would repeal every bit of progress we've ever made, leaving us back at square-one.

"I don't know." I shake my head. "I really don't."

"I know this might sound selfish..." Megan starts. "... given that other people in our community have it much worse than us, but..." She sighs heavily. "Sometimes I worry they'll repeal the Marriage Equality Act, and we won't be able to get married."

"I don't think that'll happen-"

"But what if it does, Sam?"

I glance at the worried eyes of my fiancée, and then at her ring-finger that sits still in her lap. The thought of not being able to marry Megan after everything we've been through burns my heart. The rage of being so close and then losing the opportunity scorches my insides. She takes in a deep breath, pulling me out of my head.

"I'm just saying..." She starts. "Anytime you wanna go to the courthouse, I'm ready."

I laugh. "What? You don't want a wedding and the whole nine-yards anymore?"

"What if we don't have as much time as we think?" She shakes her head. "Besides, we can get legally married and have a ceremony later."

The suggestion takes me by surprise, but I realize she's made a great point. We had another year under this idiotic administration. No telling how much damage he would do in that time. And it was clear his following didn't give a shit about our rights being threatened. Megan was making a lot of sense, and the thought of going to the courthouse to make it official didn't sound half-bad.

"I mean... it' not a bad idea," I say.

She laughs with excitement while grabbing my hand.

"I want to be your wife, Sam Carson," Megan whispers. "I will not let that man deny me of that."

I smile and squeeze her hand as we pull into our driveway. Then I look over to Megan who looks hopeful despite how much bullshit life has thrown at us. I lean in and kiss her softly for reassurance.

"He won't," I say. "I promise."

***A/N***

Well. I am certainly glad to be back writing and want to thank everyone for being so patient and kind during these trying times. I also hope you all are doing well and staying safe. We, as a collective, are going through a very pivotal moment in history, so we all need to be there for each other to keep the faith and love alive.

Of course, as you know, "Everyday Adventures" was on hold for a few months as I navigated a lot of personal issues, but I plan on continuing and finishing up this series this year. At first, I wanted to get really deep for S4, then 2020 happened and I wanted to keep it light and full of fluff, then realized that does no one any good. There are real issues out there that need to be written about, so I will try and find a balance of fluff and lessons for S4. I hope you all remain open-minded. I promise, Segan will get everything they deserve before I end the series.

Lyrics in this episode are from "I Know A Place (acoustic) by MUNA. If you haven't heard of them, please look them up. They're a queer band that makes amazing music. I love them.

Twitter: @laurynabrooks

Site: www.laurynslgtbbookshelf.com

Be Proud. Stay You.

Lauryn

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

48.3K 2.9K 12
**This is an Out of My Control spin off!! If you haven't read OoMC, you might not understand everything that goes on! I highly recommend reading that...
35.6K 1.1K 19
This is the sequel to "My new neighbor" Devon is 17 years old and in her last school year. She lives with her moms, who she adores so much. She's als...
16.5M 377K 74
~TeacherXStudent/ GirlXGirl~ Sam never had an easy life, and as she battles with the memories of her dysfunctional past she also has to battle the se...
9.4K 223 8
A sequel to 'Way Back' [also known as the huge mess Charlie has made]. What if the right person comes at the worst possible time? Would you fix your...