The Guider Effect ☼ Zuko || A...

By anchorsahoy

The Guider Effect: A term the monks used to describe the influence the chosen one had on humanity. Everyone's... More

☼☼☼
Teenage Runaways
A New World
The Attack on the Southern Tribe
Wise Beyond Her Years
The White Fire
An Ounce of Freedom
Battle of Kyoshi Island
The Ekkona
The Rising Sun
A Sidequest
Born Again
Team Sokka
The Storm
Locked Up
The Blue Spirit
Falling
They Knew
Tell Me You Didn't Feel Anything
Flamado!
The Guider Effect
Call Me Ekko
Peaches
~Zuko
Rein of Terror
Home is You
The Love Tunnel
The Pit of Doom
Wise Yet Dumb
Rock Beats Scissors
Answers
A Product of War
Bullseye
His
Spice
Fresh Brewed Tea & Teakwood
Words That Start With K
The Sokka Hate Train
Little Birds
If Only You Stayed
The Suki Overlap
Less is More
Pretentious
Struck
Aftermath

High Risk Traders

8.1K 317 182
By anchorsahoy

After another waterbending move gone awry and all of their belongings getting swept down the river, the group arrived at the nearby market in search of supplies. Katara and Rein walked side by side along the stalls, pointing and giggling at the strange looking men that littered the streets. They couldn't help but stop at every shop and admire the unique items sold at each one although they only had three copper pieces.

The four of them approached the harbor where a tall, skinny man stood shouting about the nations. They were originally just going to walk by him and try to avoid his beady stare but the second the merchant saw them, he ran up in excitement.      "You there! I can see by your clothing that you're the world traveling types. Perhaps I can interest you in some exotic curios?"

Rein was about to shake her head and politely tell him no before her overly enthusiastic brother chirped, "Sure! What are curios?"

The merchant blinked, "I'm not entirely sure, but we got 'em!" He grabbed Aang and dragged him to his ship, muttering nonsense as they walked.

Rein shrugged and nonchalantly followed behind them with Sokka and Katara on her trail. They all gasped upon entering the strange shop, trinkets and antiques from around the globe crowded the boat, piquing all of their interests.

While snooping around, Kireina noticed a strange man hiding in the shadows, watching the four of them as they shopped. "Is there a reason you're creepily watching us?" She questioned, crossing her arms.

He chuckled before stepping into the light, revealing himself and the weird reptile bird on his shoulder.      "Just keepin' an eye on my merchandise, missy. Don't trust youngin's in my shop."

"Damn, guess I can't steal that bejeweled monkey then." She replied snarkily. "If you don't trust us in here, you should train your employee to not invite teenagers into your place. Either he's a horrible worker or you're a horrible boss."

"Look at this, Aang!" Katara called, breaking the staredown Rein was having with the intimidating man. "It's a waterbending scroll. Check out these crazy moves."

"Where did you get a waterbending scroll?" Aang asked.

The man snatched the scroll from Katara and rolled it up, "Let's just say I got it up north at a most reasonable price-- free!" He put the scroll back in it's rightful place.

"What a minute... sea-loving traders, with suspiciously acquired merchandise and pet reptile birds? You guys are pirates!" Sokka yelped.      "We prefer to think of ourselves as high-risk traders." The skinny pirate joked, throwing an arm around Sokka and jabbing his chest with his finger.

"Alright well it was nice chatting with you both but we should get going. Don't trust elderly men staring at me." Rein mocked the owner, earning a growl from the older pirate. They bid farewells and exited the ship. Rein hooked her arm around Katara and pulled her away from the two boys. "You took that scroll didn't you?"

"How did you know?" Katara whispered.

"Because I was about to steal it as we left but it was already gone." Rein giggled.

"What are you two laughing about over there?" Aang smiled, walking up to them.

"Hey, you! Get back here!"      Rein's heart stopped as the pirate screamed from his ship. She knew exactly why he was calling out for them. Katara stole the damn scroll like an amateur shoplifter. Like a bunch of angry gorillas, the pirates, suddenly multiplying from two to seven, tumbled off the ship with weapons in hand.

"Run!" Rein yelped, pushing her friends to sprint away from the beastly men. "Meet back at camp!"      Sokka stopped dead in his tracks when he realized that Kireina was about to fend off all the pirates herself like some type of martyr. Before he could object, Katara and Aang grabbed each of his arms and dragged him alongside them as they ran further into the marketplace.

"I suggest you all lower your weapons or you'll regret it." Rein growled, lifting her hand up menacingly. The pirates looked at one another and cackled, staring at Rein like she was a weak child they could easily capture or defeat. The first trader charged for her and she skillfully dodged out of his path, sending him skidding into the harbor. No bending even needed for him.

One by one, the pirates attacked, each one failing before the next. By the end of the battle, Rein was the only one left standing while all the men lay sprawled across the dirt, moaning and groaning in immense pain. Not once did she have to use her bending to stop them, they were all so ill equipped at fighting that just by her dodging them, they were defeated.

"Thanks for the scrap boys! I feel more confident than ever before!"      Rein brushed the nonexistent dirt off her hands and fled the scene. She made sure to take wrong turns as she walked to confuse the pirates incase any were watching. The last thing she needed was a herd of crusty men attacking their camp while she slept.

She wandered aimlessly through the market until she felt sure enough to return to her friends.      The walk back to camp was rather short and Rein had her fingers crossed that her brother was safe and sound waiting for her to return.

She pushed through the brush to arrive back at their base, spotting Katara adamantly trying out her new waterbending moves while Sokka and Aang watched.

"Glad to see you were all so worried about me." Rein sarcastically spoke as she made her presence known. Aang gasped and tackled his sister into a bone crushing hug, knocking the two of them over into the river. They broke into fits of laughter, splashing each other and play wrestling.

"To be fair, we had to stop Sokka multiple times from running back to help you." Katara chuckled, throwing her older brother under the bus. Sokka's face reddened and he looked away, muttering profanities under his breath.

"Which is why I'm Team Sokka!" Rein replied, smiling at the embarrassed boy. "He's always got my back."

"Oh and we don't?" Aang countered, crossing his arms over his chest.      Rein sent a weak airblast at him, knocking him down into the water again. "I know you guys do too! But c'mon, Sok is underrated! He's obviously the captain here, you and Katara would be lost without him!"

"You give him too much credit." Katara grumbled, rolling her eyes at Rein.      Kireina shrugged, "He earned it, in my opinion."

"You've officially given him a reason to have an ego!"

☼☼☼

Rein was startled awake to the sound of metal hitting land. Opening her eyes, she noticed that Katara was nowhere to be seen, along with the waterbending scroll she had stolen hours prior. With a grunt of annoyance, Kireina got up and snuck away from the two sleeping boys. She made her way to the water, knowing that's bound to be where Katara was.

She halted as she neared the river, hearing the familiar raspy voice she knew too well.

Zuko.

"Tell me where they are and I won't hurt you or your brother." He spoke to a bound up Katara.

"Go jump in the river!" Katara snapped back venomously.

"Try to understand, I need to capture them to restore something I've lost--"

"Let me guess, your honor?" Rein spit as she approached the Prince. "Where have I heard this spiel before?"

Zuko's breath hitched in his throat when he laid his eyes on Kireina. Although it had only been two days since they last saw each other, it felt like an eternity to him. It made him sick to his stomach knowing that he missed her; his prisoner. His gaze fell from her face to her arms, once again bandaged up due to his vicious actions. He had to stop himself from wrapping her up in his embrace and apologizing.

"That's the girl who attacked us!" One of the pirates bellowed, pointing his grimey finger at Rein.

"I attacked you? Wow, you guys just love hyping me up, huh?" Rein smirked. "I barely lifted a finger in order to beat you all. What a sorry excuse for pirates, how embarrassing."

Zuko hid his smile. There was no doubt in his mind that Kireina could beat a herd of elephant mandrills with her hands tied behind her back, she was that good. A bunch of dirty pirates were no match for her and he could picture the entire fight in his head.

"Kireina, you look lovely." Iroh chirped kindly from off to the side.      She looked behind Zuko and the raging group of pirates to see Iroh, calmly standing along the shore. She waved at him and genuinely smiled. Rein had a soft spot for Iroh, she found him refreshing while at sea with Zuko.

"I suggest you let my friend go, Prince Zuko, or consequences will ensue." Rein snarled, standing protectively in front of Katara.

"I was simply trying to return her necklace, Reina. Do you not trust me?" Zuko countered, revealing Katara's necklace.

"As a matter of fact, I don't trust you. Not after what you did to me back at the temple. And to think I was starting to like you." Rein lifted her wrists to show the fresh bandages Sokka had applied before bed. "Don't you dare call me that name. You lost those privileges two days ago."

Zuko's heart dropped. He knew he did her wrong, so so wrong but he was hoping she would move on like she did the last time. Kireina easily forgave Zuko after he scarred her, she saw the good in him and he ruined it like everything else in his life. Impulsively, he reached out to take hold of her arm but she quickly snatched it away and took a step back.

"Enough with this crap, where's the scroll?" The pirate captain spoke, interrupting the teens' staredown.

Zuko ripped the scroll from his pocket and threatened to set it on fire.      "I wonder how much money this is worth."

"NO!" They all wailed, pleading for him to leave the parchment alone.

"A lot, apparently." Zuko smirked. "Now you help me find what I want, you'll get this back, and everyone goes home happy. Search the woods for the boy and meet back here."      The captain grunted in agreement and trekked into the woods to locate Aang.

"I thought I told you to let Katara go."

"And what are you gonna do if I don't, Kireina? Vaporize me like you did Zhao's hitmen? I'd like to see you try!" Zuko snapped, glaring intensely at Rein.      Rein didn't want to admit it, but hearing Zuko call her by her full name pained her. As much as she tried to convince herself that she hated the Prince, she secretly adored him and his quirks. The nickname he gave her warmed her heart. She missed his company and their bickering back and forth. She genuinely enjoyed traveling with Zuko and Iroh, they felt like family to her.

☼☼☼

It was only a matter of time before the pirates returned with Aang and Sokka. Both boys were tied up and surrounded, standing across the way from Zuko, Katara and Iroh while Rein stood solo along the water.

"You." Sokka snarled at Zuko. "I should kill you for hurting Kireina!"

Zuko narrowed his eyes at Sokka. "You're Sokka, right? The one always coming to Reina's rescue? I bet you're desperately in love with her or something, am I right?" Sokka struggled against his restraints, wanting nothing more than to punch the Prince straight in his jaw. "Listen, buddy, she's already kissed me so you can have her next."

"Lies!" Sokka seethed. "Don't speak of her like she's an object! She's stronger than you'll ever be and you know that."

"Zuko, you're a piece of shit." Rein growled, turning her hands into fists at her sides.

"Give me the boy." Zuko ordered, avoiding eye contact with Kireina. He knew if he looked over at her, he'd be met with a glare that could kill. To be honest, he only said that to piss off Sokka. Zuko would never speak of Kireina that way, he respected her too much for that.

"You give us the scroll!" The captain retorted.

"You're really gonna hand over the Avatar for a stupid piece of parchment?" Sokka asked, baffled. Rein smirked, Sokka took the words right out of her mouth. They met each others' stare and Rein shot him a wink, approving Sokka's new approach to the bartering.

"Don't listen to him!" Zuko shouted. "He's trying to turn us against each other!"

"Zuko! Did you not mention that Aang is the Avatar? Now that's playing dirty!" Rein butted in, smiling evil-like at the Prince.

"Yeah! And she's the Ekkona! Whatever that is." Sokka added. Rein's smile rapidly turned into a frown and she glared at Sokka.      The pirates turned their stares from Aang and, with jaws dropped, faced Kireina. Even Zuko grew angrier at Sokka's comment, he didn't want anyone knowing about Reina, she was his secret weapon.

"The Ekkona? As in the legend of the Ekkona? My grandfather used to tell me stories about her but I didn't think she was actually real..." The captain was flabbergasted. Before the men could make their move to capture Rein, Zuko sent a fireblast at them to buy her some time to run. As much as he wanted to catch Rein again, he'd rather her be safe. Then, after the first shot, an all out war began. The pirates charged in all different directions, some towards the firebenders, some towards Kireina and the rest held onto Aang and Sokka.

Rein instinctively shot a gust of air at the men running towards her, sending them flying into the dust cloud that had formed to hinder the battle. Without a second to lose, she sprinted into the fog in search of her brother. But just as she reached the fight, she was yanked backwards and the cold steel of a sword was placed to her neck.

"Zuko!" Rein screamed. She was shocked to hear her own voice call out for Zuko instead of any of her friends. Once Zuko heard her strained cry for help, he was overcome with rage. He had suddenly lost control of his own body and went hunting for his beloved Reina, abandoning his fight for the Avatar. The minute he spotted the sword at her throat, he rushed at the captain fearlessly. Kireina watched him with wide eyes, fearful that the wrong move could result in her head being chopped off.      Zuko shot another fireblast, distracting the pirate enough for Rein to slip out of his grasp and run towards the water.

She observed the fight, wincing every time the sword got too close to Zuko for comfort. Rein hated that she prayed for Zuko to win, after everything he's done to her she still wanted him to come out unscathed. But sadly, Zuko was losing and she could tell. He was growing tired as he fought the older man, missing shots left and right.

Rein could feel her blood pumping and her body began to focus on the water surrounding her as opposed to the battle taking place before her. It was as if she and the water became one, and with every breath she took she was able to feel the water's current within herself. She turned around and faced the river, then instinct took over. With ease, she manipulated the water into a tsunami type wave, casting a shadow amongst the men fighting.      Once realizing that her brother and friends were away from the war, she released the wave, sending it crashing down on them all.

Their screams turned into gargles for air as they all began to drown beneath her strong bending. She was unable to control herself, all she wanted was to see the captain and his crew die after attempting to hurt Zuko.

Zuko struggled against the current, diving deep below the surface to locate Rein. He found her planted firmly at the bottom, safe within a vortex of air she bended. With all the strength he could muster, he pushed through the barrier and gasped for air before grabbing Rein and pulling her into him. She relaxed under his touch and lowered her arms, halting the constant rush of water she was sending towards the pirates.

"Relax, Reina, I'm okay." He whispered into her ear, trying to calm her down. She collapsed into the firebender, relishing his embrace. "Please come home with me, I'm sorry."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.1M 47.8K 94
Maddison Sloan starts her residency at Seattle Grace Hospital and runs into old faces and new friends. "Ugh, men are idiots." OC x OC
100K 3.4K 18
| Being gone from the world for a hundred years changes someone. And for her, he was her change. | <>•<>•<>• "I couldn't save him." "How could you...
39.6K 1.7K 14
作者:白日宴火 Author : Feast Day of Fire Description : Ling Huan transmigrating into a traitor to the Empire, and at the last moment of the trial, he survi...
301K 6.7K 35
"That better not be a sticky fingers poster." "And if it is ." "I think I'm the luckiest bloke at Hartley." Heartbreak High season 1-2 Spider x oc