The Final Wait

By Raathi07

What happens in Saint Beaurage, stays in Saint Beaurage. Yet when a newcomer, Octavia Mora, turns up at Vega... More

Author's Note
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
∞ Music Used ∞

Chapter 6

100 9 0
By Raathi07

Song: Cringe

Artist: Matt Maeson

Chapter 6

Neither Frederic nor Wahid had any extra-curricular activities after school that day. The trio met at Frederic's locker. When Octavia got there, she found Frederic whining again about lunch. He hadn't stopped since lunch finished, and they walked to class. The entire time they sat at Cressida's table, Frederic fell silent. He even resorted to conversations with Teresa to avoid looking at the couple.

'Still giving Cressida your undivided attention?' Octavia rested against a locker and winced down at her foot. When she looked up, Wahid nodded because it seemed Frederic didn't hear her.

'Before I thought I stood a small chance of getting her, now I don't at all!'

'Don't worry my friend, apparently, they're on and off.' Wahid wiggled his thick brows. 'Trouble in paradise.'

'Is there any gossip that you don't know?' Octavia tilted her head.

'You'd be surprised how chatty boys can be in the showers after practice. It's the only thing that distracts us from accidentally seeing each other's pe—'

'She even called me Francis!' Frederic cut off Wahid and leaned against his locker. 'I think I'm the biggest loser at Vega Front High. Scratch that, in Saint Beaurage.'

'Freddo, you're not a loser.' Octavia hopped past Wahid, so she'd be in front of Frederic. 'You have us... we will make sure Cressida Perkins notices you! If she doesn't, then fuck her, err... I don't mean—you know what, then she's not worth it. You don't have to change who you are, just you know...'

Wahid raised his arms and flexed. Frederic turned at the sight of the humongous biceps he only ever imagined of having. Octavia poked Wahid's bicep, and he shrieked. 'Yes, these. That's why, this summer, we will buff you the fuck up. How does that sound?'

'Great, can't wait.' Frederic smiled. 'Thanks, guys, especially you, Octavia. We only met yesterday and you're doing so much.'

'No prob, Freddo, that's what I'm here for,' she said, then nodded at them. 'Now, if you boys will excuse me, I have a bus to catch.'

'Are you sure you don't want a lift?' Frederic's eyes trailed down to her bandaged foot that she balanced on her Converse.

'I'm fine!' she backed away before they tried to change her mind. Wahid looked like he was ready to carry her while Frederic offered to take her bag. She turned before they asked her again and waved her hand in the air. 

The only thing that sucked about the bus was that it wasn't at the front of the school. They parked all the cars on the left side of campus while the busses filled in on the right. That explained all the entrances to avoid traffic.

The one thing Octavia liked about her trip to the bus stop was the view she'd catch on the way. The doors to the indoor swimming pool were open when she turned the corridor. Even though it was wrong to ogle at the guys mean to Frederic, she couldn't help herself. She loved swimming, and she loved the sight of a shirtless male. 

When she passed the double-doors, she didn't expect to see Tyson Chapman outside of the pool with his head down. Boden Springer was in the pool looking up and talking to his friend. Tyson had already been in the pool. Octavia could tell from the gloss on Tyson's broad chest and damp swimming trunks. She turned away when she felt her body go warm. A palm on the cheek to make sure she wasn't red. She hoped for one last peek, but when she looked up, Tyson had his eyes on her. He beckoned her over and before she objected, Boden turned too.

'How's your foot?'

'I'm still standing, aren't I?'

Tyson smiled at her reply and placed his hands on his hips. That pose made Octavia drop her injured foot, so she'd have balance. 'Look, I saw you sitting with Reagan at lunch. A little head up, you can't always trust them.'

'That's cheap coming from a bully.'

She crossed her arms and maintained eye contact. Their heights not determined by appearance but by superiority. Boden got out of the pool and she felt the drips of water land on her bandage. Tyson forced a laugh, 'There are always two sides to a story. Stark started it with his clever mouth.'

'Well, be cleverer than him and don't take action. It just shows who's sensitive.'

Tyson and Boden shared a look. Boden raised his brows and shrugged. When Tyson looked back at Octavia, he smiled. 'I heard you live in Lionel View.'

'Where'd you hear that?'

'Doesn't matter.' he shrugged. 'You take the bus yet you have a 1955 Ford Thunderbird.'

'Are you stalking me?'

'No, it's a small town and we rarely get newcomers at the end of a school year.'

'Well, that's my grandpa's car. Is that the only reason you called me over?'

'No, just trying to keep up the conversation before we settle things.' Tyson flashed his pearly white teeth. 'My friend Boden here has something to say.'

Octavia turned to the stoic tree beside them. His dark eyes more intimidating with a buzz cut. 'My bad for your foot.'

'What?'

'My ba—I'm sorry for tripping you in gym class.'

'I didn't quite hear you there.' She tapped her ear. 'Must've gotten some pool water in my ear.'

Boden glared down at her before he turned to Tyson. He silently pleaded, but Tyson awkwardly rubbed his neck and turned to Octavia. 'Don't mind Boden. He's having a rough day and just wants to go home and rea—'

Boden cleared his throat. Octavia watched them before she spoke. She considered the apology, then remembered what her mother once said. Life is too short to hold grudges against people. You never know what else they might hold.

'I'm only accepting your apology because I'm new and don't want any drama.' She thought to keep the line about her mother to herself. 'Now, I have a bus to catch.'

'Octavia,' Tyson called moments after she limped away. She turned back at the shirtless, glistening boys who watched her. Tyson ran a hand through his dark hair, which left it spikey. 'We make a good team, well, excluding Holston of course.'

***

When Octavia limped through the door of her house, she hoped no one saw her. Dustin was nowhere, but the cartoons on the flat screen meant that only one person was around.

'Hey, little man.' She plopped down on the leather sofa beside Lucca. 

The animation Spiderman Comics played on the television. Lucca watched it all the time, with an instant play on a loop. His favourite Spiderman toy rested on his lap and watched with him. She ran a hand through her step brother's straight blonde hair. He giggled and shrugged her off. When Spiderman was on, Lucca paid attention to nothing else. He pointed beside him and she followed where Ajax, their Labrador Retriever, ran with his tongue out.

'Hey, boy,' She laughed when Ajax hopped on her lap and nuzzled against her skin. She rubbed her palms all over him and stood up. 'Wanna go see Nikola?'

Ajax jumped, which made Lucca laugh. She walked away from the living room and made her way toward the stairs. Ajax knew the drill already and beat her to the staircase. He kept going when she slowed her pace to see Dustin and Eirene in the kitchen. Before any of them questioned her bandage, she followed Ajax up the staircase. 

At this moment, she hated that Nikola's room was at the end of the hallway next to their father and Eirene's bedroom. Ajax was already there and tried to twist the doorknob with his paws.

'You'll get it one day,' She said once he stopped to let her open the door.

Nikolai Mora's room wasn't as big as his sister's. A big room would go to waste since he's in bed all day. The bed itself took much of the space. Ajax leapt onto the bed and whined against Nikola's chest. She hopped to the other side of the bed and sat beside her brother. His long dark lashes perfectly still like the rest of his body.

 She noticed his arms were out today. No matter how long Nikolai was in there, his curved biceps still made her envious. Her fingertips trailed along with his tattoo. Their mother's name in beautiful typography across his left bicep. The familiar touch of when he dragged her to the gym. He wanted her doubts to stop and loved what he called her 'baby fat' while she hated it. He used to hold his arm out for her to touch and promised her she'd get hers like that one day.

'One day,' she whispered and pecked his cheek. 'Love you, bro.'

The knock on the door made her lean back fast. Grandpa Mora stood in the hallway in his usual suit. He took his fedora off at the sight of his grandchildren and smiled. 'Dinner's ready, Tavia.'

Grandpa Mora whistled, and Ajax followed him out of the room. Octavia sighed and gave Nikolai one last look before she joined them. Grandpa Mora didn't see her bandage while they strolled down to the dining room. 

Thankfully, her father was invested with Lucca on his lap to acknowledge his daughter limping to her seat. For once she wished that Eirene took her place. Mr Mora sat at one end while Eirene took the other. Grandpa Mora and Octavia took either side of her father. Usually, Nikolai sat next to her and Lucca ended up next to Grandpa Mora.

'How was everyone's day?' Mr Mora began once Lucca was in his seat. Eirene swiped the action figure from him, and his attention switched to the food in front of him. 

Everyone chatted about their day while Octavia eyed the food in front of her. Chicken Risotto and the ice coffee carton that Dustin placed beside her. She was about to thank him but stopped herself when he secretly added her medication before he sat in Nikolai's place. She glanced up at Dustin, who frowned and gestured to Eirene next to him. When Nikolai's around, Dustin's like a best friend. When Nikolai wasn't around, Dustin was her other brother. The only other person she ever counted on.

'Make any friends at your new school?' Eirene pulled Octavia's eyes away from Dustin.

'Kind of... I don't know yet.' Octavia picked up her fork since everyone else ate. 'It's only been two days. There's these two guys, Frederic and Wahid, they seem cool.'

'No girls?' Grandpa Mora raised a brow. Octavia stuffed her mouth with rice and nodded. 'Well, if they mess with you, call me, okay? No one messes with Tavia, again.'

'I'm sure Octavia knows the drill by now dad,' Mr Mora said.

'Why don't you have any girlfriends, Octavia?' Lucca tilted his head. 'I made a lot at school. I can't wait to tell my cousins!'

'Oh, dear.' Eirene sipped her glass of wine while Mr Mora face palmed. Grandpa Mora high five Lucca while Octavia and Dustin snickered. 'Here we go again. Lucca, baby, please don't blabber your mouth at the wedding this weekend.'

'About that wedding...' Mr Mora trailed off and turned to his daughter. 'Are you sure you'll be okay here, alone with Dustin? Your grandpa and I need to make an emergency trip but we'll be back by Sunday.'

'I'll be fine papa... and Eirene, don't worry. It's a new town to explore.'

'Dustin, look after Nikolai and Octavia.' Mr Mora pointed his fork at Dustin. The crease in his forehead appeared that made Octavia squirm. 'Don't let Nikolai's friends over.'

'Papa, you know a butler won't stop them from seeing Nikolai.' Octavia turned to Dustin. 'No offence.'

"I know, that's why you're here to help him."

***

Psychology was the only class Octavia partially liked and attended fully. There was no reason to ditch when there were such interesting things to talk about. Yet she wished she'd come earlier because they wrapped up their topic about Sigmund Freud. The founder of Psychoanalysis. Someone discussed after their death and decades later. It left the question of what they would remember her generation for.

'I'm pleased to announce that I'll be continuing another year at Vega Front High.' Mr Redrum said. Everyone dropped their pens and cheered. Octavia smiled at the only decent teacher she had so far. 'Also, if you're continuing this course next year, it's confirmed that I'll be the teacher.

'Which means ladies and gentlemen, that whoever is taking this class can prepare for the work!' Mr Redrum walked around his desk and crouched down. The class groaned.

 'Since we've covered Mr Freud, next year we'll be looking at S. Marc Breedlove and his book on Principles of Psychology.' Mr Redrum placed a box on his desk and handed out copies of the book. They used the copies with their raggedy edges, creased cover and dog ears.

 'If you're not taking this class next year, place your copy back in the box. Others may start this during the summer as it is complicated.'

They sent the books to the back and as Octavia turned; she saw Lochlan by the wall. He laid back on his phone, but she spotted that spikey ash blonde hair anywhere. He must have felt something because he raised his head. She turned away immediately. 

Guilt consumed her over yesterday. She didn't mean to question him about his cigarettes. She only tried to keep up the conversation. The things he must have said to his friends in that car only made her worse. They seemed like decent people, especially Ezekiel.

The bell rang, and she put her copy in her bag. It was the only class she brought a bag. Before she stood up, Lochlan brushed past her in his all-black outfit. She needed to apologise before it ate at her. He didn't dump his book in the box, which made her smile. She followed him out of the classroom, but he was quick on his feet. Even though her ankle was massaged by Dustin, it still ached. She called out to Lochlan as he was already across the hallway.

'Sup, Octavia.' Lochlan stopped once she caught up to him. He leaned against a locker and looked down at her high-top Vans. 'How's the foot?'

'Nearly there but everything's good.' She raised her foot. He slowly nodded, then looked up at her. 'Yeah, so, err... listen, I'm sorry for what I said yesterday about the whole cigarette thing. It wasn't my place to say stuff like that.

'I'm the one to talk yet my grandpa smokes those huge cigars looking like Al Capone.' That seemed to break the ice when he laughed. She joined in when she noticed his dimples form.

'It's cool.'

'Yeah, so... you're not mad?'

'Nope, we're cool.'

'Cool.' She cringed at that word. It seemed to be his favourite.

'I'll see you around and hey, maybe I smoke cigarette lights because they're cheaper?' he tilted his head. He walked off before Octavia had the chance to respond. Either way, she wouldn't know what to say.

The hallway cleared the longer Octavia limped. Wahid caught up with her, and the two strolled. She noticed how Wahid went slower because of her. That made her nervous, and she tried to go faster. 

When they turned the corner, they didn't expect to see Frederic Stark edges away from his locker. He hadn't moved his stare. The laptop bag pressed against his chest. Octavia and Wahid appeared on either side of him and followed his gaze.

'I believe we call this a locker,' Wahid said.

'I know, but can you hear that?'

'Hear what?'

'Are you two deaf?'

'No, we're hungry, Freddo. Hurry.'

'I—I don't want to open it.'

'Oh, come on then, tell me your combination.' she gave Wahid her bag and hopped forward. When she got closer, she heard the faint meows from the locker. Frederic pried over her shoulder and gave her the combination.

'Don't you hear it?' Frederic asked. She shrugged and rather focused on the lock.

 A screeching noise followed, and he yelped. After a few attempts, she pulled the door open. Something white flashed across her eyes and landed on Frederic. His scream echoed and made the few students in the hallway freeze. Everyone turned to the cat clawing at his t-shirt. He wanted to touch the cat, but every time his hands got close, he'd squirm and pull away.

'He's allergic!' Wahid lunged for the cat. The cat must have sensed another human because they dropped from Frederic and walked off. Octavia watched the cat approach a person who couldn't keep in their laughter. His face was red and mouth wide enough to spread bullshit.

'Frederic, are you okay?' Teresa ran up to him.

'Teresa, take Frederic to Keren,' Octavia said, her eyes locked on Wyatt who picked up the cat and rubbed his nose against. 'Come on, Wahid.'

'Where are we going?'

'To sort that dipshit out.'

'Dipshits can't be sorted out.' Wahid shrugged once he caught up to Octavia. 'Wyatt Connelly is just born like that.'

They followed Wyatt around the corner and watched him go into the male change rooms. Wahid gulped when Octavia staggered on and realised no men's room would change her mind.

'Err... it's Wednesday, which means the swimmers are in there,' Wahid said.

Octavia pushed the door open and flinched at the sight of the number of guys in the change rooms. The steam of the showers nearby made her heart race. Strong cologne almost made her gag. A guy who freely shook his bottom towel out before he put it on, scarred her for life. Once the guy looked up and noticed the girl, he froze. Others realised too, and the noise suddenly dispersed.

'This is why I play baseball.'

'Anyone see a greasy shit walk in here with a cat?'

'Octavia, what the hell are you doing in here?' Tyson emerged from the crowd of boys who circled around them.

'Your little pest, Wyatt, put a cat in Frederic's locker. He's allergic.'

'Maybe he deserved it.' Tyson grinned before he laughed along with the rest of the swimmers. Wahid stepped closer to Octavia and tugged on her t-shirt.

'What if something happened to him, huh? What if he fucking died? Is that what you want? Would you all be laughing then?' she looked around at the dying laughter. Again, consumed by silence. 'You guys think you're the shit, huh?

'We shouldn't tear others down because we think we're better than them. In a few years, all this shit won't matter. We'll expect to be treated right in the real world, yet how can we, when we act like this?'

'Says the rich girl,' Tyson said. The guys howled, and Octavia tilted her head and grinned. She approached him in a stride, eyes trailed up his towel until they were inches away.

'At least I'm not using all daddy's money, huh, Tyson?' again, the guys howled and teased Tyson.

'Err... Octavia, we have to go.' Wahid poked Octavia, then pointed to the other side of the room where Boden entered with a teacher. Tyson followed their gaze and turned back with a smirk. Octavia hated that look. She hated it so much that she looked down at his towel and snatched it right off him.

'Hey!' the teacher yelled once Octavia turned and clung onto the towel. Wahid wrapped his arm around her and the two walked out of the change rooms. Their paces picked up when Octavia glanced over her shoulder and saw Wyatt behind them. She let go of Wahid and forced herself to jog.

'Split up.'

Octavia reached the main hallway that linked with the staircase. Wahid went upstairs while she turned right. The pain shot through her foot and made her bite her lip. At least Wyatt wasn't behind her. Up ahead, the double-doors looked familiar. The same ones that Lochlan dragged her through yesterday. She picked up her pace and pushed herself through the doors.

'Yes!' she cheered but froze when she saw Lochlan, Ezekiel and Reagan in the same spot she was in yesterday. The Plymouth runner was there too, and on top of it sat two people she hadn't seen before.

'Hey, Octavia.' Reagan waved her over, then looked down at her foot. 'How's the foot?'

'I think I made it worse now,' Octavia said. 

Reagan squinted, but she didn't feel like explaining herself. Instead, she threw the damp towel at his face. The two people on the hood of the car seemed to be in their own world. The guy must own the car, so he had to be Bechett. The redhead he had his arm around was probably his girlfriend.

'Whose is this? And why is it wet?'

'That was just ripped off Tyson Chapman's swoon-worthy body,' Octavia laughed as Reagan tossed the towel. 'Get a feel of his genitals.'

'You're crazy,' Lochlan shook his head and took a drag of his cigarette. 'Why'd you do it?'

'That greasy-haired asshole thought it'd be funny to put a cat in Frederic's locker!'

'Isn't Frederic allergic to cats?' Reagan asked.

'Yeah!' she huffed. 'I can't even think of an insult stupid enough for that ass face.'

'I think ass face is just fine,' Ezekiel laughed. That made Octavia smile again, to make someone as stunning as him, laugh.

Someone else laughed too, and it surprised Octavia that it was the girl. She lurched forward and her straight red bob moved with her. She raised a hand with black acrylic nails and white teeth. 

'I'm Doe, Bechett's girlfriend.'

'Hey.' Bechett nodded, his pierced ears jingled when he did.

'Nice to meet you both.' Octavia smiled and shook Doe's hand. 'I'm Octavia.'

'Like Shakespeare,' Ezekiel said to them. Octavia laughed because they looked like they believed it.

'You talking about Wyatt?' Reagan asked. When Octavia nodded, his eyes widened. 'Well, you're in deep shit. His mom is the principal.'

'Octavia!' Wahid yelled behind her. She turned in horror to see him running toward her with his arms in the air. 'We're fucked!'

'Octavia, if you get expelled, there's always a place at my school.' Ezekiel winked, and she would blush if she wasn't nervous.

'Zeke, you're a senior,' Lochlan scoffed. 'You'll basically be gone by the time she arrives.'

'Not really,' Ezekiel mumbled.

'Come on, Boden told Ms Edwards and the swimming coach,' Wahid said.

'Okay, and I'm so sorry for getting you into this,' Octavia said, then turned to the others. 'Wish us luck.'

They walked off with the support of the others behind them. It felt nice to know a bunch of strangers meant well, even though she barely knew them. She swung an arm around Wahid so he could help her walk. 

'Don't worry Nazari, let me do all the talking.'

________________________________________

I hope you're enjoying TFW so far! Octavia is such a wild card, I love her! Any characters you like? 

Comment - Vote - Share

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

8.1K 364 32
WARNING ⚠️ This book I am not proud of and I could have done better. In my opinion it's kinda bad but be my guest to give it a shot and find out you...
15.1K 261 21
Y/n recently moved to paris and she also joined Françoise Dupont High School. She was afraid that she won't be able to make friends.... But the desti...
2M 42.6K 41
Emilia Josephine was the typical shy girl at school, she changed. Emilia is not popular, she is pretty but no one can stand her. People say she's wei...
44.7K 2.9K 30
[A Wattpad Teen Fiction Short Story] One shy, passive aggressive girl, with an unbelievably fierce personality. Her name is Autumn. One shaggy haire...