The Wall Between Us

By EneChelsea

Heir and CEO of Avalon Group, Nathan Adakole is faced with the choice of leaving the love of his life, Enitan... More

Introduction
Chapter 1 - The Wall
Chapter 2 - Rock Solid
Chapter 3 - Too High
Chapter 4 - Concertina Wired
Chapter 5 - Surveillance
Chapter 6 - A Dent
Chapter 7 - An Abortion
Chapter 8 - What were you thinking?
Chapter 9 - The lies you tell
Chapter 10 - Bad Idea
Chapter 11 - One last time
Chapter 12 - Trouble
Chapter 13 - Reflection
Chapter 14 - Consequences And Truths
Chapter 15 - Emotional Complications
Chapter 16 - Knight in Shining Scrub
Chapter 17 - You moved on so fast
Chapter 18-come home to roost
Chapter 19 - I'm not Okay
Chapter 20 - And I'll never be
Chapter 21-And so help me God!
Chapter 22- Run Enitan, Run.
Chapter 24 - Spotting a weakness
Chapter 25 - Moving away
Chapter 26 - Curiosity Killed The Cat
Chapter 27- Before I go
Chapter 28-Wedding bells
Chapter 29- Boarding

Chapter 23 - Be My Mistress

206 41 14
By EneChelsea

"The cure for a broken heart is simple, my lady. A hot bath and a good night's sleep."
Margaret George

ENITAN

"Enitan!" Nathan roared behind me as I removed my heels and walked faster towards the emergency staircase. The elevator would've been much faster but I wouldn't dare, not after the last time.

"You'll stop walking right now and talk to me! Enitan!" He called again but I quickened my pace instead.

"Let her be!" Jameel's voice brought me to a halt. I whisked around to see both men standing, glaring at each other and then suddenly, Nathan charged towards Jameel like a bull.

Dear God! What have I done!

I sprinted towards both men, too late to stop Nathan. The only time I'd seen Nathan punch so hard-or punch anything at all was during his gym workouts. But right now, I could have mistaken Jameel's face for a gym's punching bag.

"Stop!" I cried, tugging at Nathan's hands and suit, but he continued like he'd gone deaf. "Nathan, please, stop!" I begged, completely breaking down. "Please!"

He stopped and stepped back. Pacing the breadth of the hallway, he covered his face with both palms.

I was furious. Furious that Nathan would do this. Most of all, furious that Jameel had clearly refused to defend himself, not even a finger raised.

Did he have a death wish!

I cupped Jameel's face, his dark skin starting to show darker patches. His eyes were a shadow of sadness as he looked into mine. I broke into another fit of sobs. "I'm sorry, this is all my fault. I'm so sorry," the words rolled of my tongue for what seemed to be the hundredth time.

"You and I need to talk. Get this man away from me before I completely loose it!" Nathan thundered beside us.

"No. I'm not talking to you, Nathan, not when you're in this state."

He laughed, "oh, you will!"

"I'm not leaving her alone with you, psycho!"

Nathan surged towards Jameel again and I jumped into the way.

"Fine! We'll talk!" I yelled at Nathan.

"No, he's out of his mind. I'm taking you home."

"Jameel, I don't want this to turn to a public disturbance and involve security." He looked at me, somewhat disappointed in my choice. "I'll be fine, and I'll join you shortly."

Nathan didn't wait for his permission as he grabbed my wrist and pulled me down the hallway and into the restroom.

***

"What has gotten into you!" I screamed, hitting his chest repeatedly after he let go of my wrist. "You had no right to do that to him! Or me!"

"Neither did you have the right to make that decision for me and my kids!" He spat and covered his face with palms, clearly frustrated.

"Nathan, you're unreliable. You're insensitive. You're thoughtless and have no respect for me or my feelings."

He stopped pacing, then chuckled, "does this have anything to do with Annabelle's recent tweets?"

I backed away from him and dumped my shoes and clutch on the countertop, leaning against it and folding both arms across my chest. My eyes conveyed all the answers he needed.

"Wow," he nodded and bowed his head. "That wasn't my doing, Enitan."

"Here you go again with the 'it's not my doing' crap."

"But it isn't! Annabelle tried to kill herself and the doctors insisted she stayed with me."

"Wow! You're just unbelievable."

"I don't even live there any more. I moved out even before those tweets. You have to believe me!"

"I can't," I raised my hands, pleading for his silence. "I can't do this."

"You have to think this through, Enitan."

"I already did."

"I won't let you."

I raised my head, putting on a serious demeanour. "You can't stop me. Listen, you still get to call them your kids when they're born. But Jameel will help me with appearances and my reputation."

"I don't want that!"

"I don't care about what you want! I don't."

"You have to care! This is absurd!"

"I get it! You're scared. You're scared I may do something nasty with your kids still inside of me." His stoic expression faltered, his eyes moving to my belly. "I'm not stupid and Jameel is a gentleman. My moving on in that aspect would be after I've nursed my kids to full satisfaction," I mumbled the last sentence, but I could tell he caught on anyway as he kissed his teeth and his jaw tightened.

Closing the gap between us, his breath fanned my cheeks and his body pressed mine against the Marble countertop, I held tight to it's edge for support while leaning backwards.

"That's not what I fear," he said drawing even closer. I turned my neck sideways to avoid his warm breath. "I can't stand seeing you with another man," he whispered, nuzzling into my neck while the back of his palm stroked my cheeks, gradually making me forget why I needed to stay angry at him.

"It's not your place anymore."

"Then why does it feel like my chest is about to snap?"

I swallowed. "Because you're a narcissist who always wants to have his way."

"Is that so?" He smiled, bending his head even lower. His thumb moved over my lips, wiping off my nude lipstick.

"Yes," my voice faltered.

"Ok," he chuckled as his lips brushed mine.

"Stop-" I breathed.

The rest of my protest was lost in his lips as he captured mine in slow sensual strokes. His breathe, too calm unlike my heart that was racing above speed limit. A moan escaped my lips and my knees began to fail.

His other hand wrapped around my waist, holding me steady before my knees could give way. I wanted him. Legally and publicly. Not in a rest room of a hotel. It became clear; this man would be the death of me. My arms clutched to his sides weakly for support.

"Leave her," I said, pulling my lips away and trying to breathe. He remained silent, my voice must have been so croaky he didn't hear me. "Leave her," I repeated. "We could start all over like this never happened."

I couldn't believe myself. A part of me was ashamed at my desperation-the other part clung to hope.

"I can't," he inhaled, resting his forehead on mine, his strong arms still firm around my waist. My heart crashed to the pit of my stomach.

I nodded my head in realization. He wasn't going to change. I managed to whisper, "okay." I pushed away slightly and tried to move past him.

He pulled me closer, his grip so tight it hurt. "Eni-this can still work. We can still have what we use to."

"As what? Your mistress?" I laughed bitterly. "No."

"You make it sound awful. At least we still get to have each other." His free hand tucked a loose strand of my pony tail behind my ear.

My neck fell to his sturdy chest, swallowing up the cry that threatened to burst out of my throat. I didn't know how to feel; disappointed at Nathan for even thinking of cheating on his future wife, or insulted that he made such a proposal?

"I can't trade the things I have to loose for what you want."

Wow.

"Let go," I said in a monotonous voice. "Please."

He did. I exhaled deeply, my nerves tried to sort out the hurt, anger, disappointment and incomprehensible emotions that surged through me. It was happening all over again. I never learned. I nodded and moved past him, grabbing my clutch and shoes from the countertop and swaying to the door.

"I wish you a happy married life," I said, sniffing, walking out of the door and shutting it behind me. My eyes welled with tears. I stood against the door and tried to regain my composure.

You can't cry Enitan. Not over him.

With a blurred vision, I turned to make my way back to the hall, but I bumped into someone, a woman, with a familiar strawberry scent.

"I'm sorry," I said, wiping my eyes and clearing my vision.

Annabelle stood with a taunting smile plastered across her face. Her skimpy black dressed settled above her thighs while a silver purse slung over her shoulder.

"Poor Enitan, crying her eyes out." She placed her hands under my chin, shaking her head. "He dumped his seed in you and you thought you were one in a million."

'It's not my doing' he had said. But he brought her along. Liar.

I slapped her hands off, putting on a strong face for my dignity, if I had any left.

"It's nothing special," she continued, "he's done it with me once, wanted us to be a happy family. Nathan is sweet like that. But unlike you, I wasn't stupid enough to keep it," she laughed, throwing her shoulders forward.

"I'm sorry. I-" I stuttered. I didn't know what I was apologizing for. Maybe I was sorry for myself. My pathetic stupid self.

"You're only a set back to his big aspirations. Enitan, why have you refused to understand?"

I walked past her but she grabbed me by my arm. "You will stay away from Nathan. Or this time, his father would have to finish what he started in the elevator."

My face snapped sideways in confusion. "What does that mean?"

"Ouch!" She said, faking hurt and placing a hand on her chest. "Nathan didn't tell you?"

"Tell me what?"

"That his father was responsible for-"

"Annabelle? What the hell are you doing here?" Nathans deep angry voice cut her off.

"Responsible for what?" I asked, shaking her arms and ignoring Nathan's interruption.

"You'd get the hell out of here at once. Or so help me God, I'll-" Nathan said, shutting the rest room door.

"You'll do what? Tell me! If you think I'd encourage an adulterous habit like your mother encourages your father's, you're in for a-"

A loud slap came across her face before she could finish her sentence. She screamed, holding both palms to her right cheeks. I didn't even notice he'd moved to our side.

Nathan adjusted his suit and stormed off, not looking back once.

"How dare you!" She turned, screaming at him. "This is all your fault!" She spat at my face before storming off behind Nathan.

Air sucked out of my lungs, I held onto the wall, guiding myself to sit against it. I supported my folded knees with my hands, letting my head fall to my knees, I let all the pain out through my eyes.

The only thing I could be to him was a mistress. His father was responsible for my accident. My kids weren't his first. I'd shamefully begged him even after he'd punched the one person who was looking out for me. I sunk my head deeper into my knees and let out a string of sobs.

"Enitan!" Jameel's voice called as the echo of his footsteps drew closer.

I dared not lift my face to look at him. How would he react if he knew I'd begged a man who punched him to leave his fiancée and take me back, and worse, just three days after he'd offered to cover my shame and be a father to my kids.

Who have I become.

He crouched before me and grabbed my face in both hands. "What happened?" His eyes bulged out and his pupils dilated. "Did he do this to you? The bastard!" He yelled, moving swiftly to stand, but I held his hands.
"Please, just take me home."

Hey guys! When I read novels, I watch out for clues to how the novel might end. I've sure been dropping lots of clues, hope you've been catching them. Have a blessed Saturday peoples. 😘
Catch me on Instagram @EneChelsea.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

5.7K 986 61
Isrealla morenike Jones..... An introverted, out going and lovable girl who wants nothing more than to be accepted, appreciated and loved. Both by he...
5.5K 1K 37
Ten different lives. Two boys. One night that'll bring them all together. Sixteen year old Nosa is okay with being a loner. He doesn't have social a...
94 24 9
In the vibrant heart of the city, young Evangeline Blake found herself irresistibly drawn to the enigmatic and aloof Nathan Blackwood. Despite his my...
57.7K 3.3K 34
❝We're meant to be end-game❞ THIS IS NOT A LOVE STORY; THIS IS A TRAGEDY. ♡ Nora thinks she is living out her dream. So why does it feel like such a...