The Void She Filled

By Rosa950

A cold and bitter wind. An evil organization craving retribution following their failure two years prior. And... More

Chapter 1: A Strange Dream
Chapter 2: An Unfortunate Encounter
Chapter 3: From The Eyes Of A Stranger
Chapter 4: Truth Be Told
Chapter 5: Our Lingering Pasts
Chapter 6: The Internet Explorer Conundrum
Chapter 8: The Last Person I Expected
Chapter 9: "You'll Never Get Away With This"
Chapter 10: Meanwhile
Chapter 11: An Unexpected Moment
Chapter 12: The Horrific Transformation
Chapter 13: A Storm Is Brewing
Chapter 14: Constants and Variables
Chapter 15: Wistful Sentiments
Chapter 16: Are We Done Yet?
Chapter 17: The Agonizing Wait
Chapter 18: Now What?
Chapter 19: Finally Going Home
Chapter 20: Night Into Day
Chapter 21: Trouble In Paradise
Chapter 22: By Trial And Jury
Chapter 23: His Sister's Prophecy
Chapter 24: Her Final Plea
Final Chapter: My Own Kind of "Happily Ever After" (Who Knew?)

Chapter 7: A Terrifying Revelation

308 22 45
By Rosa950

The warp led me into what looked like an office, or a solitary surveillance room. A regal blue rug with gold embellishments sat under a plain wooden desk. A large, black office chair was flung aside carelessly, with technological panels attached to both of its arms. An array of monitors lined the wall and curved around the bow of the ship. Each glowed with pictures: some showed different floors of the Frigate (and one, I noticed chillingly, of the chamber where I fought Colress), a couple were trained on Kyurem's prison, and the rest revealed the cold landscape of the Giant Chasm. A quick scan told me Hugh and N were nowhere in sight.

Wait... if there are cameras all over the ship, why wasn't I caught sooner?

Between the desk and the monitors stood a man I couldn't immediately recognize. He wore what looked like a black robe, his form hunched and scowled over whatever he was seeing.

My heart did a backflip as I really took in the details. That green-gray shade of hair... It looked reminiscent of N's in style, but not exactly the same. The way he quivered in maniacal contemplation. That wheezing laugh, sounding incredibly frail and yet paradoxically full of raw power.

No. That can't be possible...

My shock transformed into a sickening dismay when he finally spoke, making a verbal reveal instead of a visual one.

"That blasted Colress! He can't even do the job right when it matters most. Pathetic. I don't know why I ever thought I could hire him."

Ghetsis. Part of me wanted to vomit as my worst fears were confirmed. There was no mistaking that voice. It was an echo of the past I had heard many times before, from the speeches that were televised from the cities and towns around Unova. The supposed spokesperson for the liberation of Pokémon. Smooth, calculating, and ruthless. It disguised the contents (or lack thereof) of the person inside: empty and rotten with greed.

My disbelief choked in my throat, becoming all the more palpable as I struggled to breathe. I never, never could have imagined this. I jammed my knees together to stop them from shaking as I try to rationalize this impossible scene.

How the hell could this be possible?! We all saw him getting guided away in handcuffs! We all heard the curses he yelled at the cameras as he was being taken away! And it wasn't like he had been incarcerated in any old jail cell. They locked him in one of the tightest prisons in the world. Escape was completely out of the question.

But, if there was one person who had a chance of pulling it off, it would definitely be him.

And he wanted me to come here, didn't he? That's why I wasn't caught...!

My mouth flew open to spew all of my inquiries when he turned around and slammed his cane, startling me. He must have known I was there because he showed no surprise whatsoever. His front side proved even more disturbing than his backside. Upon closer inspection, I noticed with a shiver that his black robe was full of disturbing patterns: there were varying shades of gray and black patches that held an ominous similarity to eyes. Gray buttons lined the middle of his robe, and only the top one was done. His black outfit was hidden in the shadows of his encompassing cape, with one sole arm covered in golden rings serving as the only protruding figure. Perhaps most disturbingly, what appeared to be a glass red eyepatch was covering his left eye.

"Surprised to see me, perhaps? You really shouldn't be." He rested his gloved hand upon the metal cane, which was adorned with the Plasma logo. "Doppelgängers can be a wonderful thing. Poor Ryoku. That fellow pulled the short straw among the Sages. He must be rotting away in that hole if he isn't already dead. Even felons have a moral code in the guts of prison, you know. But how kind of him to take the fall for me— truly loyal unto the last. The DNA patterns we engineered as a last resort were not in vain after all."

It took me a minute before the weight of his words truly sank in. My heart stopped for a couple of beats.

"You sacrificed one of your own men to take your place?" I sounded as horrified as I felt. Truly, beyond shock, there was only one emotion to describe his reveal: disgust.

"A necessary precaution that worked well in my favor." His grin is nothing short of sickening. "But enough about that. Let's get down to business, shall we?"

I cracked my hands nervously. "Yeah, I guess that's why I'm here."

"Good. Now, I know who you are— and you must surely know who I am— so we can cut the pleasantries short. I've had grunts whining about your meddling ways for quite a while now, and I've kept my eye on you ever since. You've stirred up far too much trouble for my own liking, and I knew you'd arrive here sooner or later. That's why I ordered the attack on you."

Wait, that ambush wasn't random bad luck? I must have a terrible poker face because my horror appears to fuel his amusement.

"Oh? Are you really that surprised that I was behind that? It's certainly a shame they were as incompetent as always. The grunts that ambushed you told me they had taken care of you. But they screwed up somewhere, obviously... because you're here right now."

All of my previous questions became vaporized by that stunning realization. Instead, my thoughts were dominated by one line alone.

"I didn't realize how much of a threat I was to your system," I muttered, oddly humbled.

Ghetsis snorts pitifully. "Hardly. You and your friend were simply a disruptive nuisance that had to be squashed, and nothing more. Don't get the wrong idea. Anyways, what was I going on about? Ah, yes... Colress. That fool is far too committed to pure science. This is how he repays me for making him the boss of Team Plasma? How dare he put his personal, intellectual curiosity before our— no, my ultimate mission of conquering Unova!"

I frowned in confusion. Colress outright told me he wasn't the boss. Nor did he want to strictly dominate Unova, or at least as far as I could tell. Sure, he'd be fine with blowing the world to hell for his precious science, but he certainly didn't seem to want to rule over anyone. No, Ghetsis was obviously the dictator here.

He took a step to the right, standing parallel with his desk. There was this sick kind of glee that shaped his features, and it morphed my terror into disgust and hatred.

"How fortunate for you, though! Few get to be the sole audience member for one of my speeches."

Oh, really? What an honor. Someone go grab me some popcorn, already.

"Team Plasma will use its knowledge and technology to take Kyurem's true power to its absolute limit and freeze the Unova region solid. The terrified people and Pokémon will bow at Team Plasma's... no... at my feet!" He took a step forward, slamming his cane down so hard that the sound painfully reverberated throughout the floor.

"Kyurem is an empty being. The remnants of a certain Pokémon when it split into Reshiram and Zekrom..." Another step forward, another cane slam. His gradual advancements were clearly meant to be intimidating. Almost as if he were daring me to back down. It was a dare I refused to ignore. I locked my feet in place, strongly fighting the urge to back away from him in tandem. Instead, I forced (with considerable effort) my glare onto his crazed eyes. I could feel the crescent marks being left behind where my nails pierced the skin of my palms.

"I will use it to obtain my desire, which is the absolute rule of Unova!" A malicious aura flared within his red eyes as he boldly accepted my response to his challenge. "That's right! Kyurem will be the vessel into which my desires will be poured!"

Now he was mere feet in front of me. My senses were screaming that it was dangerous to be this close to him. But if worse came to worse, my Pokémon would be more than happy to get me out of this situation. And somewhere deep within me, I somehow found the courage and audacity to respond.

"Just another boring, old white guy power trip, huh? Kind of disappointing, to be honest. Your time in exile has clearly torn your mind to shreds, if you even had one in the first place. I refuse to let your insanity endanger the people, Pokémon, and land that I love. And you know as well as I do that I'm here to damn your foolhardy ambitions. Every. Single. One of them."

Not the most impressive of verdicts, to be sure. But it was short and sweet, and it got the job done. That was all I needed right now. It wasn't like I had time to prepare this beforehand.

Of all things, the corners of his mouth tugged into a smile. "We'll see how long that cocky resolve of yours holds under my torturous and pain-filled plans for you. You'll soon regret saying such bold words."

Before I could ask him what he meant by that, a Shadow Triad member (literally) appeared out of nowhere, materializing in front of the desk.

"Lord Ghetsis, Kyurem has been transferred."

...Transferred? Transferred to where? Somewhere outside? Then, that would mean...

Their plans are farther along than I would have hoped. And I was running out of time.

Mother of Mew. I just can't catch a break here, can I?

His grim smile grew even wider as Ghetsis faced the Shadow Triad member. "Excellent! It's finally here! The wonderful era in which I am the absolute ruler of Unova has finally arrived! ...I'll let you take care of her, then."

Then, before I could register what he was doing, he pushed me aside. Like, he actually pushed me! Without so much as a backward glance! I spun around with a gaping jaw as he advanced towards a dark set of stairs. Wait, that wasn't there when I got here, was it?

"Hey, where do you think you're going?" I barked, still disgusted that this man had actually touched me. I shifted my weight forward to march after him. I became stopped no sooner than two seconds second later when the other two Triad members appeared out of nowhere. Their towering forms blocked my passage to stairs.

Son of a Bidoof! How can they even teleport without warps anyways? Do they abuse the powers of some Psychic-type Pokémon? That makes them no better than the wretched organization they work for...

Ninjas. That's the one word that came to mind when one looks at the Shadow Triad. From their long and flowing white hair and their black bandanas, to their gray and black tunic shawls with crisscrossing straps. Exotic to the eye, perhaps, but they lived up to their perception well. They say very few words, are quick on their feet, and are adept at stealth, being quieter than the faintest whisper. But that didn't stop them from being violent and shrewd when it suited their purposes. After all, I myself watched as one of these bastards stole the DNA splicers right out of Drayden's hands.

Only their cold, gray eyes were exposed on their faces. Their expressions appeared vapid and insipid, but nevertheless an icy sheen hung over them. Calculating whatever vicious game they wanted to play with me, no doubt. Thankfully, I didn't have to find out for myself; I saw Hugh warp into the room out of the corner of my eye. He paused as he noticed my predicament, and I turned to face him with a look of mild relief. I could see his lips moving, probably muttering some choice curse words. Then, he simply marched up to our little triangle with a look of stoic determination.

"You're the Shadow Triad, right? Tell me about the Purrloin that was stolen in Aspertia five years ago."

"Um, Hugh?" I uttered incredulously. "I'm in the middle of something here—"

"Rosa, this is the best chance I have right now. You said you could take care of yourself, right?"

Ouch. Leave it to Hugh not to hold back any punches. But it's not like he was wrong, either.

His steely glare swung from me back to the trio. "And now you're holding my best friend hostage, too? You better cough up some information now, or else."

"Or else what?" a Triad member replied with a snicker. "If you haven't noticed, we're the ones with the upper hand at the moment." But the member by the desk simply waved his hand submissively.

"Come off it. This Pokémon won't even matter to us in a few hours from now. So, very well. This might be it." My eyes tracked his hand in astonishment as it traveled to a Poké Ball attached to his waist. He's just giving up a Pokémon he stole all those years ago? Just like that? That's the exact opposite of Team Plasma's style!

No, there had to be strings attached to this package. And what did he mean, "it won't matter in a few hours"? How far were they willing to go with Plasma's plan? And Purrloin... What if it was brainwashed beyond repair, trained to attack any aggressors on sight?

"Hugh, be careful! This could be a trap!" I hiss. His eyebrows crinkle furiously at the thought. The Shadow Triad released, somewhat surprisingly, a Liepard from its ball. It stood between Hugh and the Shadow Triad member, growling fiercely and glaring at Hugh with its emerald eyes.

Well, that was better than it immediately pouncing and tearing him apart.

"I stole this Pokémon about five years ago in Aspertia. So, it seems likely that this is the Pokémon you're talking about."

I'm instantly brought back to the age of eleven, when Hugh's sister came running to me and cried that someone had wretched a Purrloin from her arms. The expression on her face and the tremor in her voice had stuck with me ever since. But, no one took it more personally than Hugh. He vowed revenge and promised his first act as a Trainer would be to track that thief down.

I am somewhat confused by the timeline, though. Didn't Team Plasma form just two years ago? Had they been together longer, and just stayed in the shadows? Or was the Shadow Triad an entirely separate entity that had existed before them?

"But, this Liepard? Now, it only listens to my commands," the Triad member continued with a glint in his eyes. "Such is the fate of Pokémon that are trapped in Poké Balls!" The Liepard takes a few paces forward, snarling deviously. Hugh took a few corresponding paces backward, slowly shaking his head. He looked like he got stunned by a Charge Beam.

"Wh-what? Don't mess with me... That's someone else's Pokémon!"

"We don't know that, Hugh," I spoke up. "It's been five years, for Arceus's sake. There's been plenty of time for that Purrloin to evolve."

"Your girlfriend's right," The Shadow Triad member sneered. "The pathetic vermin barely put up a fight when I swiped it from that little girl. That weakness had to be corrected immediately."

"WHY, YOU—" Hugh's outburst was cut short as the Liepard blocked his advance with a hiss, raking her claws in the air as a warning. The laughter of the three ninjas filled the air as I balled one fist in frustration. The other hand was already reaching towards my Poké Balls.

These monsters don't want to give her up fair and square? Fine! We'll just hit back harder!

"You know," the man who released Liepard began with a click of his tongue, "I feel sorry for Pokémon." I roll my eyes dramatically as my fingers grasp around Lucario's ball. "They are ruled by Poké Balls and the whims of their Trainers... Lord Ghetsis spoke of Pokémon liberation two years ago simply for his own ambitions, but if his plans had succeeded, many Pokémon would have been saved. This Liepard— well, you knew it as a Purrloin— if it had been released, it might have returned to you."

"'Saved,'" I mumbled, holding back a sarcastic laugh. "You would have never given it back, and you know it! You're too loyal to the whims of your dear Lord—"

"Enough!" snapped one of the other ninjas. "That's not the first time you've mouthed off to us. I think I'm rather sick of it. Your language comes with a price, young lady. And I won't let you interfere with Lord Ghetsis's plans any longer!"

Before I knew it, an Absol was creeping forward and staring me down, a growl erupting from its throat. I bared my teeth and released Lucario, who looked back at me for a moment. I give him a simple nod, which he returns. We knew each other well. He took an immediate fighting stance as his eyes began to glow. As much as I didn't want to battle right now, it wasn't like I had much of a choice. But the more time we wasted standing here, the more time it gave Ghetsis to carry out his agenda. And I couldn't let that happen!

"Rosa, wait!" Hugh shouted. He released his own Pokémon, an Emboar. Without hesitation, the Mega Fire Pig Pokémon set his fists alight and shoved the Liepard aside. Hugh used the distraction to scramble next to me, his gaze radiating unbridled fury.

"I won't let you! She plays no part in these matters! Battle me instead!"

"Hugh," I began to protest as my Lucario looked back in confusion. "Didn't we agree I could take care of myself?"

He rolled his eyes. "Yeah, but do you remember what else I said? 'Purrloin has always been my fight, and Plasma is yours.'" Chaos breaks loose as Liepard pounces on Emboar with a whirling fury of claws. My heart sinks at the implication.

"At least let me help you—"

"Don't argue with me, Rosa. I will pummel these idiots to the ground myself." Lucario, adapting to the changing situation, leapt to my side and threw a glowing Aura Sphere at the Triad members blocking my path. They were quick to respond, leaping to the side as the sphere crashed and scorched the floor. With that, Lucario grabbed my hand pulled me through the gap despite my verbal protests.

"Go, Rosa! Run after Ghetsis and stop him! You can't let him get away! I will save Purrloin— no, Liepard!" Violent battle cries and glows of light emerged as other Pokémon were released, drowning out his words.

"HUGH!" Tears of frustration pricked my eyes as the scene became too chaotic to track. Blurs of fire, darkness, and shouted commands clashed together in a violent cacophony. Lucario paused and touched his paw to my cheek. I looked into his eyes, instantly knowing what he was saying.

'Your friend is right. We must hurry.' I let out a whimper and squeeze his paw for a mere moment, feeling a part of me shatter inside. After one last pain-stricken look, I force myself to turn around. As I spring forward, Lucario outpaces me and takes the lead. He looked back only once as we retreated down the solitary stairwell.

'I will track down Ghetsis's Aura. Come on!' I nod without stopping, let out only a choked back sob. But deep down, I knew Hugh was tough enough to handle whatever the Shadow Triad threw at him. Or at least, I hoped he was. I just... I just can't lose him. I simply can't! That's not a reality I'm willing to face! But what would they do to him if he lost?

C'mon, Rosa. He handled himself on the Frigate just fine earlier, and that was against a whole fleet! Right now, you need to focus!

A cold gray light quickly grows before we burst out of the ship. I whip my head around, but the clearing is now barren. Not a soul was around, at least within my range of senses. Not even...

N. My heart stops as it finally hits me: Hugh had been alone.

"I, I, we—" I began to stutter, even as I knew with a sinking heart that we couldn't hunt him down right now. With a cry, Lucario bursts sharply to the left and over the frigid cliffs. My eyesight follows his direction, the bitter wind cutting through my clothes. There! I could see the furl of a black cloak for a fraction of a second, before it vanished in the distance.

And here is where you find me screaming, "Damn it!" I put all of my power into my legs and leap over the icy cliffs. The free fall might have intimidated me if I didn't have the adrenaline pumping through my system right now. Ignoring the sting on my palms as they stabilize my landing, I sprint as fast as I can after Lucario. I don't know where we are going, but I trust Lucario's senses. As I begin to weave around the frosty pines, my memory flashes back to Route 23.

Wow, it's almost like I've done this before, I thought, rolling my eyes sarcastically.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

13.5K 1.2K 33
Team Miasma is the new threat that looms over Unova many years after Team Plasma has been disbanded. Their reasoning for causing terror is unknown, b...
188K 3.7K 90
After winning the Kalos League and keeping their promise, Ash and Serena continue their journey together. From new regions, to new Pokemon, to new ba...
7K 292 29
Rosa is a girl with the dream of becoming a pokestar studios actor. But will she conquer her stage fright to achieve her dream? And will being stuck...
8.7K 210 37
Rosa never liked the crowd, nor did she like to talk to others, yet somehow ended up becoming popular amongst her classmates in school. With a beauti...