Of the Twisted and the Lost

By polaroidcolours

[FEATURED] Upon discovering mermens exist, Sera Chang and teenage detective Junjie Williams work together to... More

NOTE:
ACHIEVEMENTS:
PLAYLIST:
PROLOGUE:
PART ONE:
i
Chapter 1:
Chapter 2:
Chapter 3:
Chapter 4:
Chapter 5:
Chapter 6:
Chapter 7:
Chapter 8:
Chapter 9:
Chapter 10:
ii
Chapter 11:
Chapter 12:
Chapter 13:
Chapter 14:
Chapter 15:
Chapter 16:
Chapter 17:
Chapter 18:
Chapter 19:
Chapter 20:
iii
Chapter 21:
Chapter 22:
Chapter 23:
Chapter 24:
Chapter 25:
Chapter 26:
Chapter 27:
Chapter 28:
Chapter 29:
Chapter 30:
DIVIDER:
PART TWO:
iv
Chapter 31:
Chapter 32:
Chapter 33:
Chapter 34:
Chapter 35:
Chapter 36:
Chapter 37:
Chapter 38:
Chapter 39:
Chapter 40:
v
Chapter 41:
Chapter 42:
Chapter 44:
Chapter 45:
Chapter 46:
Chapter 47:
Chapter 48:
Chapter 49:
Chapter 50:
vi
Chapter 51:
EPILOGUE:
UNTITLED:
FANART:
ACKNOWLEDGMENTS:

Chapter 43:

169 54 68
By polaroidcolours

"Oh my God," Sam chokes out, gaping at the distance, where Sera had gone. "Did you just see what I saw?" 

"Sera," Junjie finishes in disbelief. "Jesus." 

"What do we do?" Sam rasps, looking suddenly like a boy who lost sight of home. 

Junjie ignores him. 

Six months, he thinks. Sera's been gone for six months and when she comes back. . . 

"She murdered him without mercy," says Junjie, horror dropping through his stomach. "She looked him in the eye and stabbed him." 

Sam looks down at his grandfather, then back at Junjie, surprising them both with the glittering tears. 

"She's so different," Sam says. "She killed three people, Junjie." 

There's something wrong with the picture. "Why would she do that?" asks Junjie. "It doesn't make sense." 

Nothing makes sense anymore. Not when Sera finally shows up after six months, welding a blue dagger and murdering people. 

"We handle this the same way as we always do," Junjie says, hardening. "We catch her, we bring her to jail, we let the local authorities handle her." 

"But she's my step-sister and your true love or whatever," Sam says. "I don't think I can do that to her." 

Junjie raises an eyebrow at Sam, who finally relents. "Alright, fine. So we're dealing with a murderer here." 

"The other question is why," murmurs Junjie. "To get revenge, maybe? To warn us about something?" 

"Murdering people to warn us," Sam snickers. "That sounds about right." 

They both look at each other, before bursting into laughter. 

"Why are we laughing," Sam pants, after they calm down, "when there is legit a murderer on the loose?" 

"Ah, must be the shock talking," Junjie replies. 

"Though seriously," Sam insists. "Why are we laughing, when my grandpa's on the floor and Sera's out there, stabbing random things into people?" 

"Hmm. I have no idea why. Let's call for backup." 

Junjie reaches for his phone. "Hello, Seth," he says, as soon as the inspector picks up. "We have a dead body here, in the dumpster, so can you bring an ambulance? He's already dead, so there's no use in that, but Sam probably wants one. Oh, and yes, we've figured out who the murderer is." 

"What?" Seth starts, but Junjie has already stopped the call. 

"Come now," he says. "We have some investigating to do." 

"With what?" snorts Sam. "There's nothing—" 

"Except a clue from Sera," Junjie interrupts, eyes glittering as he pulls out the letter. "We have to find Project Anonymous." 

Junjie waits for his partner to agree, but when he doesn't, an impatient sigh escapes Junjie. 

"You know, since this is from Sera? Who's been missing for six months?" 

No response. 

"Oh, for God's sake! She's telling us to find Project Anonymous and the answer will be there! To why she's acting like a murderer!" 

Sam stares blankly. "She is a murderer," he says. 

Junjie rolls his eyes. "Well, there has to be a reason she's turned into a killer," says Junjie. "So we are both going to go find the answer." 

"Ohhh," Sam says, before turning back to Junjie. "I still don't get it." 

Junjie sighs. 

* * * * 

"I can't believe we're actually doing this," Sam garbles as he stuffs yet another McDonald's fries into his mouth. "Like, legit, you are the rubbish-ist planner ever." 

"That's not even a word," Junjie says, biting down on his lower lip whenever Sam drives too close to the edge. "Maybe I should've driven."

"No, no, no," replies Sam, smearing oil and salt all over the wheel. "I can drive." 

"Just don't crash this car," mutters Junjie. "The owner's going to get really peeved off." 

Sam gives the barest acknowledgments, before staring glumly at the empty red basket. "There are no more fries," he pouts. "I'm hungry." 

"You're hungry," Junjie repeats. "Even though you literally had four vegetarian egg muffins, two yogurts and fruit parfait, one huge side salad? Oh, and don't forget that bucket of fries." 

"Well, yeah." Sam has an implied duh in his voice, as he gazes mournfully at the empty fries box. "Wait, hold the wheel for a sec." 

Junjie lets out a yelp as Sam takes his hand off the wheel to empty out the crumbs in the box. "What the hell are you doing?" he barks. "You're supposed to be driving!" 

Junjie frantically moves the wheel with one hand, narrowly avoiding another car. "Drive the freaking car!" Junjie roars. "Have you not learned that you can't put your hands off the wheel to drive?

"Lemme just get the last bit," Sam mumbles, turning the box upside down in his mouth and shaking it vigorously. 

"I will murder you viciously if you don't put your hands back on the wheel!" Junjie booms, as he veers around a huge truck. "So drive properly and put down that stupid box of fries!

Sam lets out a gasp, as he glares, enraged. "How dare you call my fries stupid," Sam hisses, voice low and dangerous. "You really want to face my wrath?" 

"No!" Junjie shouts. "I want you to pay attention to the freaking rode and freaking drive!

"You insulted my fries!" yelled Sam. "You think I can pay attention while you insult my little babies!" 

Junjie stares at him. 

"Your little. . . babies?" Junjie's cheeks lost all its color. "You call fries your little babies?" 

"Junjie." Sam's tone has a warning in it. "Don't you dare talk to my little babies like that. Or I swear to God, I will rip out your face and feed it to the goats." 

Junjie gasps exaggeratedly. "Not the goats!" he cries out, before his glare hardens. "Drive, sidekick. Now.

"I am not your sidekick!" Sam protests, though he places his hands on the wheel. "Happy now?" 

"Yes," Junjie huffs, finally able to relax. 

Then his eyes widen. "Turn!" he bellows, watching in horror as they are headed straight towards a cliff. "Turn, Sam!

But it's too late: they are headed off the cliff. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.4K 17 33
𝘸𝘩𝘦𝘯 𝘭𝘪𝘧𝘦 𝘨𝘪𝘷𝘦𝘴 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘭𝘦𝘮𝘰𝘯𝘴 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘮𝘢𝘬𝘦 𝘭𝘦𝘮𝘰𝘯𝘢𝘥𝘦 𝘣𝘶𝘵 𝘸𝘩𝘦𝘯 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘥𝘰𝘯'𝘵 𝘬𝘯𝘰𝘸 𝘩𝘰𝘸 𝘵𝘰 𝘵𝘪𝘦 𝘺𝘰𝘶...
229 30 11
A vast amount of our oceans have been untouched and left unscanned, we don't know what is really out there. But that's not the same for the Wincheste...
180 6 5
A teen's family moves to Hawaii. She finds out mermen are real and her family has an aquatic history. War threatens it all. Can she change everything?
20.1K 507 27
Meet Nash McLaren, your typical 17 years old guy. Life's changes for him as he moves all the way from the concrete jungle of New York to the sunny ti...