Infection

By PeterMorrinsville

It starts with a simple itch, nothing more. Maybe a few random spasms or the occasional shudder but you'll th... More

Writers Comments
Prologue
Chapter 1 - Late
Chapter 2 - Strange Times
Chapter 3 - Train Wreck
Chapter 4 - No Accident
Chapter 5 - Finally Leaving
Chapter 6 - Beginning of the End
Chapter 7 - Day Trip
Chapter 8 - Shopping Spree
Chapter 10 - The Twins
Chapter 11 - Sitting by the fire
Chapter 12 - She Heard Everything
Chapter 13 - Into The Heavens
Chapter 14 - The Game
Chapter 15 - Open the Gate
Chapter 16 - Nightmares
Chapter 17 - A Cold Wet Day
Chapter 18 - A Golden Dawn
Chapter 19 - The Loot
Chapter 20 - Small Town Girl
Chapter 21 - Alone
Chapter 22 - Like Father, Like Daughter
Chapter 23 - Over the Roof
Chapter 24 - Till Dusk
Chapter 25 - Recovery
Chapter 26 - Dead or Alive
Chaper 27 - Bedding Down
Chapter 28 - Inferno
Chapter 29 - At Bay
Chapter 30 - Knuckles
Chapter 31 - Raining Cars
Chapter 32 - River
Chapter 33 - Coffee Table
Chapter 34 - Fighting to survive
Chapter 35 - A Will to Live
Chapter 36 - Sickened
Chapter 38 - Reunion
Chapter 39 - From Bellow
Chapter 40 - Changed
Chapter 41 - A Dark Room
Chapter 42 - Masks
Chapter 43 - The Woman With the Red Lipstick
Chapter 44 - Humanity
Chapter 45 - Playful Mind
Chapter 46 - Dazed
Chapter 47 - Back Again
Chapter 48 - Watched
Chapter 49 - Darwin's Law
Chapter 50 - Mental War
Chapter 51 - Casino and Snow
Chapter 52 - Yellow Eyes
Chapter 53 - Stabbed
Chapter 54 - A Dance With The Devils Daughter
Chapter 55 - Back Stabbed (END OF BOOK 1)

Chapter 9 - The Camp

12.6K 535 155
By PeterMorrinsville

I will warn you its a long chapter! I tried to split it down but it was no use. Anyway happy new year! :) And as always, enjoy!
**********************************************

"Wakey wakey sleepy heads get up before I get you up!" Was the first thing I heard as I opened my eyes, the sun just tipping over the horizon.

Shacking off the sleep I got out my sleeping bag and took a look around. We had just slept in what appeared to be an old wooden hut composed of one large room and a kitchen, I read on a door nearby. Through the many windows I could see several other huts lined up against a dirt track surrounded by large trees. It almost felt like a scout camp.

"Okay this is how it's going to work people, I want you to all to pack your sleeping bags and keep hold of them before following me down to the main field." Boomed the Military man who had awoke us. "Quickly now, you got a long day ahead!"

As quickly as I could I stuffed my sleeping bag back into its thin bag looking to see If I could find my Dad, but I couldn't seem to find him. It was extremely crowed in here! People where starting to move out following the officer who had already left not bothering to wait. I Hurried out not wanting to be left behind. But as I left the door I felt a sharp pain shooting through my right arm making me drop the sleeping back. Confused I tried picking it up again but it only resulted in more pain in my right arm. So I picked it up with my left with no problem what so ever. As I ran to catch up with the others I rolled up my shirt sleeve and noticed a faint swelling, I must of damaged it yesterday when I jarred in on the infected guys head. I would of been too pumped up on adrenaline to notice. Then I realized that was also the arm I fractured on the train. Great. I flexed my fingers stretching it, I was going to have to see a Doctor about this. For now I would have to wait to ask where I could find one.

As we walked down to the field I finally got a change to look at the place I would be staying for who knows how long. At the moment we where strolling down a large rocky track running strait through the camp. On one side I saw several well maintained fields divided by tree lines and on the other a cluster of trees hiding the huts we stayed in last night. It was kind of exiting, I liked an adventures and I didn't mind sleeping on a hard floor which was probably a big advantage in a situation like this, I served my time well in scouts.

We soon joined another path, turning right then left after a short distance joining many other tired people heading to what the man called the 'main field', this place was huge! After another 5 minutes, give or take, we headed over a small wooden bridge. A narrow steam flowed underneath and running through a field and around the forest to my right.

I came to a sudden stop in awe as the scene that lay before me revealed itself. The stream eventually spilled into a large sparkling lake, a deep green forest holding it at its centre. The sky polished off the view with bright yellows and oranges teasing the sun over the tree line and mixing with the simmering lagoon. Strait in front of it, a large field lead too it edge and also appeared to be where we were all heading. Eventually gathering round the small hut that was set slightly back from the lake edge. I had never seen so many people gathered together in one place at once, how I was supposed to find my family let alone Eve!

"Gather round everyone, quickly now!" I heard someone boom over a megaphone.

Getting closer I noticed some one standing on the porch of the hut slightly raised above the crowed in military attire. After several minutes, the flow of people had quenched and he began to speak once more.
"I am Major General Warren, and I have been put in charge of this facility. What I say is law, any disobedience will result in punishment. Your cooperation is key to the survival of all us and so I will not hesitate to throw out, any man or woman who deems them self higher than the law. That being said the rules are simple. You are to be in your tents by 9, you will do everything you are ordered without question and finally you will not steal from or harm any other person in this facility. Punishment is the whip; any continues rule braking will result in being thrown out. That does not mean you are forced to stay, you can leave whenever you want but you may never come back. I only say these things to protect you not to make your lives miserable. For this operation to work we must work together as one to survive and not as individuals. You will be split into age groups and abilities and be designated a field to live on and a Captain who will be in charge of you, he will also brief you on some of the finer details and answer any questions. Now can I first have all the 16 to 25 year olds head to field 3 which is directly behind you and in the far right corner? If I find anyone in the wrong group you will automatically be evicted, we do not have the time or the luxury to be messing around. I repeat 16 to 25 year olds to field 3, you are under Captain Harrison."

With out hesitation I began making my through the mass and started to follow the many others heading for field 3. He didn't sound like the type of guy you wanted to get on the wrong side of. I could hear the Major dishing out more orders and assigning other age groups to different fields as I went.

Looking around I tried to find a shimmer of ginger hair in the crowed but I saw nothing that resembled Eve. I began to hear another voice booming over a megaphone, further forward as I continued to battle through the mob too field 3, would this mob ever end!

"Gather round, field 3 this way people, quickly now!" Sounded the voice who I supposed was Captain Harrison.
Finally reaching the end of the multitude I started to run with the others across the dirt track and into my new home, field 3.

"Okay gather round we got lots to do!"

The Captain was standing next to a mountain of what I soon found out where tents along with a wall of boxes.

"You're going to be divided into teams of 10, those people are your family now and who you will share a tent with. I'm going to give you a couple of minutes to gather before I put you in teams."

There must of been over a thousand 16-25 year olds gathering round as I continued to look around for Eve, she had to be here! But every time I bumped into someone ginger I was only let down.

"Okay I think we've got everyone, I'm going to start putting you in to groups of both boys and girls. Once I have assigned you to your teams that is it. I want you to grab a tent and a box and you have the luxury of being the first on campus so you can set up any were you want."

I was starting to become desperate, she had to be here somewhere, I began to run through the crowed, darting between people, trying to see over everyone. Every minute that passed I was getting closer to being stuck in a group that I knew no one in. I could see the Captain getting closer and closer until.

"Hay you, guy with the green coat," said the Captain.

"Me?"

"Yes you, I want you with..."

"SETH!"

Turning round my heart skipping a beat as a ginger ball of hair came smashing into me and sending us both flying. We ending up in a tangled heap on the floor with the breath knocked out the both of use.

"Well I take it you two and...you four over there and...you you...you and you. Get off the floor you two, there's plenty of time for that latter." and with that he was off to the next load of people.

Catching my breath I managed to stagger to my feet still holding onto Eve barely noticing the eight others standing awkwardly around use. "I thought I'd lost you!"

"Um if you don't mind we need to go get a tent." One of them said. "Come on."

I nodded and we broke apart, heading towards the mountain of tents.

"You an me both, that was too close!" Eve managed gasping.

"Do you two want to get the box while we get the tent?" asked the guy who had just told us to move along. "My name is James by the way."

"Seth and Eve, pleased to meet you. Yeah we don't mind," I answered for the both of us. He nodded and we quickly made are way over to the stack of boxes.

"What do you thinks in the boxes," asked Eve.

"I'm hoping food, I'm starving!" We placed are sleeping bags on top of one of them and managed to pick it up, me with my right hand, and together we carred it back towards the group before following James out into the field.

"Where is it where setting up James?" I asked.

"Any where you fancy?"

"Close to the lake as possible." Are field was perfectly positioned directly opposite the main field leading to the lake, I just hoped we could swim in it! We walked a little further towards the track before he stopped again.

"Here?"

"It's as good as anywhere."

"Does anyone know how to put up a tent?" voiced James.

"I did scouts." I replied.

"Same here!" a tall and stocky guy added, he looked a little nerdy too.

"What's your name?"

"David, me and my Dad used to always go camping," he replied. He looked to be the same age as me.

"Alright you two show us how it's done, because I'm lost," James joined in.

Putting down the box, I joined David at the overly large canvas tent, complete with a selection of poles and pegs. This was not going to be easy. "Okay every listen up, this could take a while."

*

We spend the next hour figuring out how to put up the large canvass tent, in which time I managed to get to know the people I would be living with. First was the twins who I got to put all the poles together. They were both identical, it was kind of creepy. They both had the same hazel eyes, brown hair and medium build, I didn't know how I was going to learn to tell them apart. The only think different between them was their names. One was called Isabella, the other Eleanor.

Next was Jamie who was revving to go and I set her on helping me spread out the main section. Whilst we did that I discovered she was quite the tom boy! Her hair was black and not much longer then any boys but it would probably reach her shoulders if it wasn't everywhere else. Her skin was slightly coloured and I was shocked when I found out she was 20 she looked a little too small but one thing was for sure, she knew how to handle herself!

After we got the canvas rolled out I got Lydia, an 18 year old blond and runner to help Jamie put up the poles the twins had completed, around the edge. David and I then got Eve and Sophie to start getting all the lines pegged down. The two girls seemed to be getting to know each other just fine. Probably because she was another popular. I could tell by the complex hair due. I latter discovered she was the oldest of us all at 22.

Finally we got the two boys, James who was full of confidence and quite the ringleader egging everyone on and Elliott the looker but shy, to put the two main poles up in the middle. I stepped back and watched the tent bloom into life, finally complete.

"Alright you can let go now!" I shouted.

"It works." Jamie cried.

We all cheered, exhausted from putting the heavy tent up. We could still see other groups struggling to even start putting theirs up.

"Think we did a quick job of that David, don't you?"

"Couldn't put it better myself."

David was growing on me quite rapidly. We were quite similar, both having a love of camping and apart from his nerdy appearance he was quite strong if a little on the broad side, plus he towered a head higher than me.

Going inside we found just about enough room for the ten of use to squeeze are sleeping bags in, five on each side but plenty of head room. There's was no ground sheet so we were forced to lay are sleeping bags on the ground. I placed mine next to Eve and David admiring our handy work.

"Does anyone know what's in the box?" Jamie asked.

I had completely forgotten about it! I went back outside and helped her drag it inside. It was about the size of a bath and sealed tightly shut with tape.

"Got anything sharp?" James voiced.

"We could use a tent peg." David suggested. "You got any left...Sophia?"

"Its Sophie, and yeah I got a few," she laughed, handing over a peg to James.

Every one gathered round as James began to crack open the box and revealed its contents. The first thing I noticed was food, In the form of rations but there was also an assortment of pots and pans, ten sets of knives, forks and spoons all joined neatly together with a plate and bowel. There was also a full set of blankets and at the bottom ten role mats and a load of towels. There were also a pack of matches.

"Looks like where gonna be cooking are own food!" Isabella stated, or was it Eleanor?

"Can anyone even cook, or are we all gonna die of food poisoning," the other one joked.

"I don't care I'm starving!" I chipped in looking through the rations. "They got cereal bars, anyone fancy a late breakfast? O and they got water bottles."

There was a chorus of yeses so I started throwing everyone a bar and bottle while David took it upon himself to dump a role mat and blanket off at every ones sleeping bag.

"How are we even going to cook all this stuff?" Eve added peeking over my shoulder.

"An open fire by the looks of it but I don't know where we're going to find enough wood for everyone in the camp too have a fire!" I replied.

As if on cue the flap parted and the Captain waltzed in. "You guys where quick on your feet, not bad. Follow me, I'm starting to brief those who have finished."

And without another word he left, leaving us scrabbling to are feet in pursuit. We followed him in silence to a large pavilion in the corner next to the path, disappeared inside.

It was full of hard wooden benches crudely arranged to face the front, most of which were already occupied. We sat down awkwardly.

"This must be the briefing room." Whispered Eve.

Before I could reply Caption Harrison reached the front and began to speak.

"Welcome to field 3. I am Captain Harrison for those of you with short memories. As the first batch of people to finish putting up your tents you are group 3A and will report to the tree labelled with an A at 0800hr. The man next to me is Officer Davies; he is your group leader and will supervise over your duties and training. He is know your Daddy. Now while you are living on this field you will cook your own meals on a open fire outside your tent, the wood can be collected from next to this pavilion on a daily basses. You will be given your rations when you finish your duties at 5. You will also have from 1200hr to 1300hr to eat lunch in between duties. Curfew is at 2100hr. Water can be found around the field in the form of taps, please do not drink the lake water. On a Wednesday morning and Sunday evening you are allowed to go to the lake to wash and do whatever you want but only on those day. Sunday is also the only day you have off, lucky you. That is all from me, any questions ask your Officer, his tent is located next to the tree with the letter A if you ever need him. Can you now follow Officer Davies to the military settlement where you will get given some proper clothes. Your Duties start tomorrow, prompt."

"That doesn't sound too bad, quick and to the point." I said to Eve as we got to are feet.

"To you maybe! I wonder what our duties are?"

"What every they are where doing them for 8 hours. It will be fun, plus it could be worse."

We started walking down the long path past the main field and back the way we had come this morning. "Yeah, we nearly got put into separate groups!"

"Good timing or what!" I laughed. "You feeling better after what happened a couple of days ago?"

"Feels like a years gone by since then but I feel great don't worry. It didn't spoil my day too much."

"Good and it does! This feels so surreal; I don't even know where my family are! I came in with my Dad but I lost him this morning."

"Then he will be here somewhere don't worry, just about everyone from Lincoln who's left is here."

"You think?"

"Well you live in the villages and I live deep in the city and where both at the same camp."

"Good point, well I'm glad I found you."

"You're telling me!"

The conversation soon died and I took to investigating are new home. All around us where people setting up tents or busying themselves with something similar and not to mention the number of solider running up and down the fields. There was so much going on and so many people, I didn't know where to look! Eventually my eyes settled on the group of buildings we where fast approaching and where the military personnel seemed to be swarming around the most.

"Alight 3A, single file. Guys you're going to go into the hut on the left, girls the hut next to it. You're going to collect some clothes, do look after them, you only need 4 pairs of everything expect the obvious like shoes. You will be expected to clean them. There will be personnel there to help you. After that your free to wonder back down to the field until 1300 then meet me at are tree, any questions?"

"Can we visit our families in other fields?" somebody shouted out.

"No, you can only go on your own filed and the main field for today while things are being set up."

I followed the guy in front of me into the hunt the Officer had pointed out and found it very similar to the one I woke up in this morning. The only difference being was this one was lined with manned tables laden down with an assortment of uniformed clothes, similar to the ones the soldiers were wearing but simpler and sandy. Going to each station I ended up receiving several pairs of sandy coloured trousers with a matching jacket, skin tight T-shirts along with a pair of army boots and a large rucksack already packed with socks, a hat and a poncho. I then waited outside for Eve as she collected her gear and we left together slinging are bags over our shoulders.

"Did you see where our Officer went?" I asked.

"No? Why, do you need him?"

"My arms being playing up, just wanted to get it checked out."

"I told you so!"

"No it wasn't from the swimming, it was from when I got attacked yesterday..."

"Wait what?! What happened?"

"Dad and I went looting for food down at the supermarket... hey don't look at me like that, desperate times."

She had raised her eye brows, shaking her head, "go on."

"Well while we were searching for food, we weren't the only ones, some of the infected turned up and there was one already there. I had my axes so it wasn't too bad but I think I jarred my arm when I berried my axes in ones of their heads."

"Too graphic! That's what you get for looting, at least your okay."

"Well apart from my arm."

"Well he'll probably be at his tent near our tree."

"There's are a lot of trees!"

"The ones around the edge by the looks of it, that's where all the small one man tents are."

"Got ya, okay thanks I'll see you back at the tent in a bit."

"Don't go running off" she finished bring me into big hug.

"Don't worry I'm not leaving you anytime soon." And with that we parted at the corner of our field and I began to run down the stretch between field 3 and what I figured was field 4, looking for the letter A on the trees which were evenly spread out along the path. I figured it would be the first one at the bottom and my theory was soon proven as I came to a stop next to a large oak tree with the letter A sprayed neatly on it. I approached the tent that sat next to it, not knowing if I should knock or just call out. I decided the later

"Officer Davies?"

"What do you want?" came his reply poking his head out of the door. "Speak up."

"Is there anywhere I can see a Doctor, I think I might of damaged my arm."

"And how might of you done that?"

"I was in a train crash a couple of weeks ago and they took the cast of my arm early. Then I was attacked by one of those thinks the other day, came out clean don't worry but I think I damaged my arm."

"You sure you came out clean?" he said cautiously.

"Didn't touch me."

"Let's take a take at your arm then boy, train accident you say?"

"Yes sir, rolled right off the track." I said presenting him my arm.

He poked it around a little, comparing it to my other arm, "you've defiantly done something too it." He went back inside his tent and came back out with a large radio. "Rachel, you know where I can find a Doctor on campus over."

"There setting up at the huts near the car park over."

"Thanks Rachel over." he placed the radio back in his tent. "Take the path running parallel too the stream, huts will be on the right, tell them Officer Davies sent you."

"Thank you sir!" and with that I was off again. One think I knew about this place is that it would keep me fit.

Arriving at the group of huts I stopped a man who was carrying boxes in and out of one and asked him which one was the Doctors. He soon pointed me in the right direction.

Knocking on the door it was quickly answered by an old man with beady eyes.

"Can I help you?"

"I'm here to see a Doctor, Officer Davies sent me."

"What's he wanting?"

"No its about me, think I've damaged my arm."

"Well come inside then and well have a look at it."

Stepping in I noticed the room had been turned into a little infirmary with several other Doctors and nurses still setting up shop.

"Come along now just take a seat for me over there. He pointed to what I assumed was his desk.

I sat down silently and watched him finish whatever it was he was doing before, before walking back over smiling.

"What seems to be the problem?"

"My arm, I damaged it in a train crash." I showed it to him and he gently checked it.

"It was fractured I take it?"

"Yes.."

"How long ago was this crash?"

"About three or four weeks?"

He shook his head in disbelief. "And they already took the cast off! Your arm hasn't healed properly and at this moment in time there's not much I can do apart from give you some pain killers. I won't be able to get you out of work. Just try and use that arm as little as possible."

He got up and disappeared into a small store room before coming back with small box.

"Take one before your duties every day, and one in the afternoon."

"Thank you," I took the box from him along with a short note which he had signed.

"Just a note to say I've given these to you or we would both get in trouble, sorry I can't do anything else for you."

"That's okay, I'll do my best, I am left handed."

"Lucky you, well off you go now I've got lots yet to do," he said as he walked away.

I got up and left the way I came and slowly made my way back to field 3, contemplating the day's events.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

101K 3.4K 21
In a world where a virus has spread that causes people to turn into flesh-eaters, you have lived being a zombie killer. You stopped having feelings a...
1.1M 18.3K 23
WHEN THEY RISE, WE WILL FALL. We've seen the movies, we've watched the TV shows, but nothing will ever prepare us for a real zombie apocalypse. When...
82.2K 5.8K 45
In a world overcome with disaster and chaos, Em sets out on a perilous journey to find safety. With only determination and perseverance to guide her...
273 42 13
❝In a world full of fiction and horrors, zombie apocalypse is something impossible. Or is it?❞ In a world where zombies were seen only in TV shows, m...