Spin The Bottle

By Ebby_writes

It all started with a kiss during the game of spin the bottle. * When Stephanie Valentine - a wallflower who... More

Synopsis
01 | Senior Year
02 | It's Just a Party
03 | The Party
04 | Spin the Bottle
05 | Hair Cut
06 | Hazel
07 | Poison Ivy
08 | Emily
09 | What Party?
10 | Distraction
11 | It's Her
12 | Cute Dog
13 | Soon-to-be Boyfriend
14 | A Date?
15 | Those Bitches
16 | Brody!
17 | Detention
18 | Twenty Questions
19 | Frozen
20 | Babysitting
21 | I Like Her
22 | Shrek
23 | Debbie Downers
24 | Threat
25 | Dump Her Ass
26 | Acting Strange
27 | Old Lady
28 | La Vida Loca
29 | First Time?
30 | Truth or Dare
31 | Makeover
32 | Psychotic Ex
34 | Suspended
35 | Lie
36 | Truth
37 | I Love You
38 | Apologies
39 | She's Pretty
40 | Feelings
41 | Tell Her
42 | I Like You
43 | We're Dating
44 | Out of Her Head
45 | I Miss Him
46 | Master of Kisses
Not an Update
47 | Anxious
48 | Happy Birthday
49 | Boyfriend?
50 | Yes
51 | Barbie Girl
52 | Promise

33 | The Deal

5.3K 198 138
By Ebby_writes

Chapter Thirty Three: The Deal

"Music?" Chris breaks the silence after driving off the school grounds.

Steph shrugs. "Sure."

Chris pulls his phone out of his pocket carefully with his eyes on the road. He extends it to Steph. Due to the fact that she's facing the window, she doesn't see him.

"Hazel," he says to gain her attention.

That nickname, Steph muses as she faces him and collects the phone with a puzzled look on her face.

"What should I do with this?" She questions.

"Connect it to the stereo and play some music," he instructs.

Steph stares at the phone. "You need to input your password."

He tells her his password without hesitation. Steph narrows her eyes at him before inputing it and the phone unlocks.

"You just told me your password," she deadpans.

"So?" He glances at her. "I can change it and you should feel honoured."

Steph rolls her eyes.

"Okay...." Steph drawls and connects the phone to the stereo.

"Play the first one in my favourites."

She does and one of Drake's song starts playing. She locks the phone almost immediately so that her hand wouldn't mistakenly start wandering and looking through his phone.

Chris bobs his head to the music.

"Let me guess, he's your favourite artist."

"Nah, not really. Do I even have a favourite? I listen to Eminem, Will Smith, Kendrick Lamar....and any good stuff. They all have something that makes their music special."

"True," Steph nods.

"What about you? Which is your favourite boy band? It seems like every girl have one band they're crazy over or something. Some are still hoping that One Direction gets back together," Chris rolls his eyes.

"I don't dislike them or anything but seriously that's life, deal with it." Chris adds.

Steph smiles, "Yeah and I don't have one."

Chris' eyes dart to her before focusing on the road. "Really? I find that hard to believe. Are you sure you're not one of the directioners?"

"Nope."

"5SOS?"

"Nope."

"Not even BTS?" He asks quizzically.

Steph laughs. "Nope."

"Wow! That's surprising. So who do you listen to?"

"Ariana Grande, Taylor Swift, Selena Gomez, Lauv, Shawn Mendes and some others. Oh and I also like Nicki Minaj," Steph beams.

"Really? You like rap. Can you rap?" He smirks.

"That's for me to know and you to find out," she simpers.

"Just tell me."

"No."

Steph concentrates on the song about to start and it sounds awfully familiar. Chris eyes widen and he reaches over to change the song but Steph stops him.

"Seriously? You have her songs in your favourites?" Steph guffaws just as she realises the song is 'Into you' by Ariana Grande.

"No, I don't," Chris denies immediately. "It's only this one."

Steph gives him a look that says he doesn't believe him. She checks his phone to see about five more of her songs.

"That's not what I'm seeing here," she asserts as she checks his playlist.

Chris glances at her. "Don't blame me. Her songs are catchy."

"Or she's your celebrity crush."
Steph guffaws to Chris' chagrin.

Chris notices a café up ahead as he drives. He visits the café once in a while, sometimes with Max and Jason.

"Hey, do you mind if we stop at that café? I'm suddenly craving doughnuts," he tells Steph.

"Like you need to ask for permission from me," Steph huffs which makes Chris smile.
They arrive at the café and Chris parks the car.
Chris gets out of the car, expecting Steph to do too but when he turns to shut the door, he finds her still seated comfortably on the passenger's seat.

He motions for her to follow.
"Let's go."

Steph unbuckles her seatbelt and reaches for the door handle. She realises she's still wearing Chris' jacket and then she replays what happened at school in her head. She still feels like breaking Ivy's neck.

"Hazel," Chris pokes his head into the car and stared at her. "Come on, let's go."

"I'm not going," she shakes her head vehemently. "I'll wait in here for you."

"No, you're coming with me."

"No, I'm staying in the car."

"Why?" Chris inquires.

"Look at me," Steph starts. "I'm wearing an oversized leather jacket that happens to be yours. People will be staring."

Chris chuckles. "You look cute in my jacket. People might stare because of how cool we'll look---like a couple. They'll just think I'm your boyfriend--" Steph snorts. "--and you're wearing my awesome jacket. People find that very romantic, you know."

Chris laughs lightly because of the look on her face.
"That's ridiculous. Just go, I'll wait here," Steph says with a serious look on her face.

"Fine," Chris says in a dry tone. He'll just have to drag her then.

Steph looks at him suspiciously when he agrees. She was expecting him to persist until she gives in. But she's relieved he has agreed. She watches him shut the door but instead of heading straight into the café, he comes to her side and before she can react, he opens the door with a smile on his lips and his green eyes twinkling.

"What are you doing?" Steph asks in a curious tone.

"We're going in there together," Chris says and grabs her hand.

"Hey!" Steph exclaims. "I said I'm not going anywhere." She tries to pry her hand out of his grip but he doesn't budge. He holds her tight but not enough to hurt her.

"Let's go," he begins to pull her out of the car.

"No, no. Christopher." She glares at him but he only smiles wider.

He succeeds in pulling her out of the car before shutting the door. Then he begins to walk in the direction of the entrance, dragging Steph along.

"Let me go, Chris. Please I don't want to go."
She tries to wriggle her hand from his grasp but he doesn't let go.

"Don't make a scene, Hazel."
He walks them into the café, a friendly chime welcoming them.

"I'll get you for this Chris," Steph says with the most threatening voice she can muster.

"Go ahead," Chris chuckles.

Steph huffs, no longer struggling. "I look like a goof swimming in your jacket."

"You look cute." He says as he finds them a table close to the window. He pulls out a chair for her to sit and then releases her hand.

"Wow, such a gentleman," Steph scoffs sarcastically. Chris settles in the seat opposite her.

Chris smiles one of his charming smile but instead of saying something, he finds himself staring at her, taking in all her features. Steph notices and begins to feel uncomfortable under his gaze after moment of him staring. She clears her throat and that seems to bring him back to planet earth.

There is this awkward silence before Chris breaks it. "So what would you like to have?"

"Nothing," she answers, pulling at the sleeves of his jacket. "I'm here because you dragged me so I don't want anything."

"You're getting something. Even if it's just coffee," he asserts.

She narrows her eyes at him and he smirks. They stare at each other. Steph seems to be challenging him with her eyes but it doesn't look like Chris is backing down.

"Fine," Steph breaks eye contact, sighing. "But I'm paying."

"Nope," Chris drawls. "I am paying--that's what a gentleman does."

"Sure," Steph says with sarcasm that Chris detects.

"I've always been a gentleman, Hazel. You just didn't notice. Why do you think girls love me?" He smirks.

Steph shakes her head. "You are something."

Just then, a girl with highlights in her blonde hair walks over to their table.

"Hi and welcome. May I take your order please?" She asks, a little too chirpy for Steph's liking. Her eyes are solely focused on Chris' figure like he's the only one in the room.

According to her name tag, she's Ashley and she looks fresh out of high school--not much older than they are.

Steph feels like Ashley doesn't even know she's seated opposite the guy she's feasting her eyes on.

Chris smiles at Ashley before facing her.
"What do you want, Hazel?"

Only then does Ashley seem to notice Steph. Steph looks away when Ashley narrows her eyes at her.

She glances at the chalkboard menu close by and decides on what to have.
"A strawberry milkshake."

Chris nods and then faces Ashley who has a smile back on.
"A strawberry milkshake for her, a chocolate doughnut and an espresso for me," he tells Ashley.

"I'll be back in a minute," she smiles and winks before walking away.

"She was just flirting with you," Steph deadpans.

"You've got that right, Hazel. They just can't resist me," Chris says smugly, brushing off imaginary dust off his shoulders.
Chris sees a scowl appear on her face.

"Your cockiness irks me and I'm getting tired of it."

"It was a joke, Hazel. Chillax."
She doesn't say anything but at least the scowl on her face disappears.
"And about my being cocky, let's make a deal. I'll stop being cocky around you if you'll stop being distant with me," Chris avers calmly as if he has rehearsed saying this for a long time.

"Distant?" Steph mumbles, pretending to not know what he's taking about. She had thought he didn't notice but apparently, he did.

"You know what I'm talking about, Hazel." Chris folds his arms across his chest as he studies her. She refuses to meet his gaze. "Deal or no deal?"

Steph sighs. "Fine, deal." She doesn't want him to ask her why she's been acting that way. And she's also tired of his narcissism.

Chris beams. "Great."

Ashley returns with their order.
"Enjoy," she says flirtatiously, touching Chris' shoulder before walking away.

"She was flirting again. Geez! Some people are just weird."

A thought comes to Chris' mind but he thinks it's impossible yet that doesn't stop him from asking.

"Hazel, are you jealous?" He smirks to cover the fact that he's hoping--really hoping--that she is.

Steph stares at him like he has said the most absurd thing in the history of mankind before bursting into laughter.

"Jealous? Of who? That flirt or you?"

That wipes the smirk off Chris' face.

"You're so funny," she adds before picking up her milkshake and sucking through the straw. Chris wants to say something but he doesn't. Something about the tone she just used causes a pang in his chest and he has no idea why.

He picks up his coffee and sips from the Styrofoam cup, looking around the café. His eyes lock with Ashley's and she winks at him.

Chris clears his throat as if clearing the awkward air.
"Since we are here, why don't we get to know each other better," he suggests.

Steph looks away from the window to face him. "What do you have in mind?"

"Let's ask each other questions. This or that, would you rather -- anything -- as long as it's not one that would piss the other off." He gives her a knowing look. "Like the one you asked me during detention that day."

Steph laughs lightly. "That was funny. I'll start."

"Sure," he says. Steph notices him eyeing the doughnut. He rubs his hands together then picks it to take a bite.

He closes his eyes for a moment and moans, clearly enjoying it. "This is so good. It has been so long since I had one."

"When last?"

"Saturday," Chris answers before taking another bite.

He had doughnut on Saturday and he's acting like he hasn't had one in forever, Steph muses.

"I see you like doughnuts," Steph voices her thought.

"Uh huh. It has a special place in my heart. Whoever made them first is a legend."

"Wow! I feel like you're dating it or something." Steph teases him.

"At least it won't break my heart," Chris sighs, his demeanour changing.

A few beats pass before he speaks again, back to his old self. "What's your first question?"

Steph twirls her milkshake that she's halfway through with as she thinks of a question.
"What's your favourite food?"

Chris grins. "Doughnut."

"Doughnut is a snack, Christopher," Steph chides, shaking her head slightly.

"Lasagna."

"Me too!"

"Nice," Chris smiles. Having finished his doughnut, he's sipping his coffee.

"When's your birthday?" He asks in a curious tone.

"5th of May," Steph replies.

"I didn't know."

"You didn't even know about my existence then," she retorts. "When's yours?"

"23rd of December."

"You're a festive baby, huh?" Steph grins.
He shrugs.

"What are your hobbies, festive baby?"

"Playing basketball, watching action movies and sometimes playing video games. You?"

"Reading novels and watching movies."

"I guessed right," Chris beams. "Tell me something about yourself."

Steph slurps her milkshake.
"Well, I love watching horror movies."

"You're kidding," Chris gapes, resting his arms on the table and leaning forward.

Steph laughs. "I'm serious."

"Why?" He has a puzzled look on his face.

Steph shrugs. "I don't know, I find them funny. Scary movies are humorous to me. Maybe it's because I know they're not real."

"That's....that's crazy," Chris remarks.

"I know. Brooke thinks that too."

"I don't usually get scared but I definitely don't find them funny," Chris quips.

Steph smiles at the expression on his face. He shakes his head as if to shake off that piece of information. He looks around as if checking to see if someone is eavesdropping.

"Let me tell you a secret."

"Okay," Steph drawls, giving him an expectant look. She also leans on the table so that they're closer to each other.

"I used to like watching sappy romance movies," Chris reveals.

Steph gives him an incredulous look with a raised eyebrow, obviously not believing him.

"I'm serious," Chris says in a dead serious tone as he leans back on his chair.

Steph espies his face, looking for an evidence that's he's lying but finds none.
"Whoa! This is golden. You like watching romance movies. What's your favourite? The notebook?" Steph snickers.

She doesn't like watching romance movies but when you're having a friend like Brooke, you'll get used to it.

"It is not," Chris defends himself calmly.

"Maybe you and Brooke can become movie buddies," Steph guffaws.

"I don't watch them anymore and you're not supposed to tell anyone, remember? It's a secret. It can ruin my 'reputation'." Chris does air quotes with an eye roll which only makes Steph laugh harder.

"Why don't you watch them anymore?"

"People change," Chris shrugs, not wanting to tell her that he stopped watching when Ivy broke his heart.

They continue talking, asking each other questions, getting to know each other better.
By the time they decide to leave, they've known a lot about each other. They exit the café laughing about something.

In the car, they listen to more music and bond some more before Chris pulls into her driveway.

Silence envelopes them after Chris kills the engine. Steph unbuckles her seatbelt and glances at him.

"Do you want to come in?"

Chris smiles. She's comfortable enough to invite him into the house.

Progress.

"Maybe another time, Hazel. I need to get back to school."

"Oh okay." She bites her bottom lip, realising she's still wearing his jacket.
"Your jacket...."

"You can keep it."

"No way! I'll give it to you in school tomorrow," she says.

"Whatever suits you," Chris shrugs.

"Thanks for bringing me home."

"You're welcome."

"And you're not a bad guy. You're actually fun to be with." She reveals.

"Why thank you," Chris grins. "This is the first time you're saying something nice about me."

Steph laughs and opens the door to get out.
"I'll see you tomorrow."

"Yeah," Chris mutters. "Take care of that bruise."

"I will," Steph smiles and shuts the door.
She watches Chris back out of the driveway and drive away before heading into the house and up to her room.

After pulling off Chris' jacket, she finds herself bringing it closer to her nose to sniff it. She sighs as though in relief before dropping it on her bed and heading for the bathroom.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

723K 25.6K 37
Zoey Adams couldn't care less about The Kissing Game. Now that it's their last year, her classmates are going crazy over the game where a single kiss...
165 1 20
Lincoln and Stephanie had been friends for years, meeting at university and becoming best friends almost immediately. So when Linc is told his compan...
622K 8.1K 25
Emma and Noah always played together, eaten with each other's families, called each other boyfriend and girlfriend and deep down, Emma has always bel...
1.2M 45.6K 37
The rewritten version is on my account: Accidental Roommate (NEW). You can read this version but, just be warned, it is the 1st draft. Expect plothol...