Lights Up

By Ang3lica_Schuyl3r

Junior year. New school, new people. Claudia de la Vega has a lot to be worried about. But when you've got go... More

Meet Claudia
Lights Up on Jackson Heights
Crutchie Makes an Entrance
Welcome to The Freakshow
Hey Folks, This is an Author's Note
Meet The Plastics
Hear ye, Hear ye, My Name is Samuel Seabury, and ...I Got Tagged
Characters (not a chapter)
Author's Note
Auditions...dun dun duhhhh
The Crutchie Interlude
It's The Start Of Something New
To The Tucks!
No Me Diga!
It's Like the Internet, Only in Person, and with Candy
Wooooooaaaaah 100 READS GUYS
Blow Us All Away
What'd I Miss?
What the Heck I Gotta Do?
Born to be Brave
It's a Solo, It's Selfish by Definition
The Bottom Line
I Know A Guy
Do You Hear The People Sing?
The World Turned Upside Down
When There Was Me And You
I'M SO SORRY GUYS
What Could Go Wrong?
The Story of the Tucks
This Is War
Disappear (IMPORTANT AUTHOR'S NOTE)
Everything I Know
Carnaval del Barrio
Sunset/Sunrise
Thanksgiving
How to Throw the Perfect Birthday Party
Do This Thing
Good Girl Winnie Foster
Getcha Head In The Game
We're All In This Together
Finale
We Did It Folks!!! (AN)
This (Author) Is Back
NEW BOOK!!!

Where Better to Escape Trouble than the Theatre?

50 1 0
By Ang3lica_Schuyl3r

Hello hello hello beautiful people. Author here. Who watched Hamilton on Disney+? Meeeeeeeeeee. I've seen it live, but it was so cool to see it with the original people. Daveed Diggs is a god. I know it's been forever since I updated, but here you guys go. On another note, I'm drawing fan art for my own book (yeah, I know) and I was wondering if you guys want me to put it on here? Comment if you guys want to see it. Hope you enjoy!

Dia's POV

It's the morning again. Yay. I mean, I know how the daylight cycle works, I know that the sun is going to rise. I mean, just ask Annie, "the sun will come out tomorrow" and all. Doesn't mean I want to get up.

As I'm getting dressed, I remember the Plastics' offer from yesterday. Yeah right. Like I'm going to abandon my new friends to hang out with a bunch of basic white girls who think they're better than everyone else. I just throw on a t-shirt and jeans, then step outside on the fire escape. Then immediately come back inside. Because it's cold. Add my favorite hoodie (it's black with a big Puerto Rican flag on it), and NOW I'm good. Time to head to the salon, so Dani can interrogate me about school. Again, Yay.

When I reach the salon, Carla starts to braid my hair, while Dani immediately bombards me with questions.

"Alright, chica, spill. V told me you were texting friends last night, and I want to hear ALL about them."

"Ok, so I met Crutchie first,"

"What kinda name is Crutchie?"

"It's a nickname Carla, one of his legs doesn't work and he has a crutch, so his friends call him Crutchie. Anyway, we talked about Harry Potter, he talked about his boyfriend, and he invited me to eat lunch with him and his friends."

I decided to leave out the part with Eacker so that my mother wouldn't go all social justice warrior on the school.

"Alright, so tell me about the others, any cute ones?"

"So there's Jack, who's"

"Is he cute?"

"Sure, Carla, but one, he's gay, and two, he's Crutchie's boyfriend."

"Ahhhh, continue."

"Anyway, he's an artist, and he and Crutchie are the CUTEST couple. Then there's Evan and Connor,"

"Are they-"

"Connor's gay and Evan's bi, and they're dating"

"Ohhhhhh."

"Connor looks like the stereotypical emo kid, but he doesn't act like it. And Evan has severe social anxiety. Then there's Frances, her mom is my English teacher, and she is a total activist, like going to protests and all that stuff."

"Sounds like your mother"

"Kind of, anyway, then there's Janis. She's the only other girl, she's also an artist. And Damien, who's president of the drama club."

"Drama club? That's great, Dia, are you going to join?"

I knew exactly what my mom was talking about. I had always loved theatre, but had never been able to be in a theatre program. At my last school, the theatre program wasn't school funded, because no one appreciates the arts, not that I'm bitter. You had to pay to audition, and buy your own costume, and pay for tickets to see the show, so we couldn't afford it. So I've never done theatre beyond singing showtunes in my room.

"Maybe. I'm not sure."

Then Dani got back on topic. "You said there were eight. Who are you not telling us abouuuuut."

"Jeez, Dani, chill. Phillip's the last one."

"Oooooo, you like him."

"What?"

"I can tell by the way you said his name, chica, you liiiiiiiike him. Now spill, I want all the details before Carla is done with your hair."

"Uh, he has long hair, not like weird long hair, it looks good on him. Lots of freckles, I called him Freckles in my head before I knew his name. He, uh, he's really nice, like teacher's favorite cause he's super respectful. Um, he speaks Spanish, his dad's from the Caribbean, and he's in theatre."

"So he's cute, respectful, and speaks Spanish? You better go for it chica, cause that's a once in a lifetime chance. I mean, if I was thirty years younger..."

"DANI!!"

"Ok, ok, your hair's done. Now get your man."

I told the three goodbye, then headed to the subway. Once I got a seat (a rare occasion), what my mom said about theatre came back to me. Maybe I should ask Damien.

DiaDiaDia: hey Damien, when r the drama club meetings?

I❤️DannyDevito: Ohmygosh YESSSSSSSS JOIN THE CULT

I❤️DannyDevito: the first meeting is today after school
Rehearsals are always on Tuesdays and they'll be on Thursday too when we get closer to opening night

DiaDiaDia: cool I'll ask my mom
It's in the auditorium right

I❤️DannyDevito: yesssssssss come to the dark side
See u at lunch

DiaDiaDia has left the chat

Wow. So I could actually do theatre. That's actually really exciting. I didn't think I would be this excited. Guess I should ask mom though.

Dia❤️: Damien said the first drama club meeting is after school today. Can I go?

Mamá😘: sure, and if you want to hang out with your friends or whatever afterwards go ahead. Nina and Benny and the Rosarios are coming over tonight for dinner at seven, so just be home by then

Dia❤️: thanks, love you, see you later

Mamá😘: have a good day sweetheart

Alright, so I'm going to drama club. Hope this works out.

*****************time skip*****************

It's the end of the day, and I'm walking out of class with Jack, Crutchie, and Phillip. Then I remember that I don't know where the auditorium is. Whoops.

"Hey, are you guys going to the drama club meeting?"

"Yeah, we all are. Are you?"

"Yep. Can I walk with you to the auditorium though? I don't know where it is."

That made Phillip laugh. Why am I blushing? Crutchie gave me a look like "you like him, and you're not doing a very good job of hiding it." Great, so it's obvious.

After a short walk through the school that I will NOT be able to make by myself, we arrive at the auditorium. We're the first ones there, besides a tall woman wearing a hot pink blouse. That's brave. Respect. She turned when we entered, and immediately headed toward us.

"Hey mom," Jack said.

"Jack, honey, there you are. Oh, and Crutchie and Phillip too! And a new one! Aren't you going to introduce me?"

Jack turned, and gestures towards the woman. "Dia, this is my mom, Miss Medda. Mom, this is Dia."

Miss Medda extended her hand to shake. "Nice to meet you, dear. Are you here for drama club?"

"Yeah, I am"

"Great, I love having new members. It spices everything up. Have you ever done drama before?"

That made me blush, and not like an "ooo a cute boy just talked to me blush". More like an embarrassed blush.

"No, though I've always wanted to. At my old school, you had to pay to be in the drama program, and I couldn't afford it."

"Oh that's fine, dear. And this program is completely school-funded. Principal Pulitzer doesn't give us as much funding as he gives the sports teams, but it's enough to put on the show. Once everyone else gets here I'll announce the show for this year, and then give some information on auditions and such."

She turned back towards the whole group. Not that it was a very large group, but some more people had arrived, including Damien and Frances. "I've got snacks on the back shelf like always, make yourselves comfortable, and we'll start in about five minutes."

A few minutes later, Miss Medda clapped her hands to get everyone's attention.

"Hello everyone, and welcome to the first meeting of Drama Club! I'm Miss Medda, the drama teacher. First, I'll introduce you to a few people, then I'll announce this semester's show and give some information on auditions and rehearsals."

She paused for a second, catching her breath.

"First, your drama club president, Damien Hubbard."

Damien stood up and bowed dramatically, while most of the students clapped politely. Jack, Phillip, and Frances, on the other hand, stood up and clapped very loudly, while also cheering and yelling until
Crutchie gave them THE MOST done look I have ever seen. Miss Medda cleared her throat and continued.

"Next is our set designer, Jack Kelly."

Jack stood briefly and waved a little bit, then sat down.

"And finally, our stage manager, Crutchie Morris."

Crutchie grabbed his crutch and pushed himself up, waved slightly, then carefully lowered himself back onto the large box of costumes he was sitting on. Then Miss Medda stood up again.

"Alright, I'm sure you're all dying to know what our show this semester is, and the time has finally come. Drumroll, please."

Phillip looked at me with excitement as everyone started drumming on the nearest hard surface.
I could feel my cheeks heating up, so I just smiled back and looked away quickly. Crutchie gave me another "I know your secret" look. Thankfully, Miss Medda must have decided the drumroll was long enough.

"Alright, Wildcats, it's time to get your heads in the game, because we are doing High School Musical: the Musical!"

The room erupted. Kids were cheering, laughing, Damien started singing Stick to the Status Quo, etc.
A little side note. I LOVE High School Musical. When I was younger, I was Gabriella for three Halloweens in a row. I've watched the first movie at least twenty times, and the second and third ones at least ten times. I'm internally DYING. Just not externally.
Anyway, Miss Medda somehow managed to get everyone's attention again, to make some more announcements.

"Glad to see you are all excited. As I would like to start rehearsing immediately, auditions will be on Friday. I'll post the cast list Monday morning, and the first rehearsal will be Tuesday afternoon. Please decide what part you would like to audition for, and prepare a singing audition. Then there will be a dance audition and a dialogue audition. Please get here as quickly as possible Friday afternoon so we can begin. If you have any questions, please come ask me. Other than that, you can go, and I'll see you on Friday. Except for you, Jack. I'll see you at home when I'm done here."

A lot of people laughed at that, and Jack gave Miss Medda a sarcastic salute.

"Gotcha Mom"

Our whole group, minus Connor, Evan, and Janis, because they aren't in Drama club, got up and left the school. As soon as we got outside, Damien exploded.

"A La Mode, ice cream on me! Wildcats, let's GOOOOOOOOOOOO!"

That made everyone laugh, and we all headed towards the ice cream shop.

Aaaand done. Now, for the record, anything related to auditions or theatre in general I know because of my friends that are in theatre, reading Broadway fanfiction, and watching High School Musical: The Musical: The Series. So if I get anything wrong, feel free to correct me (constructive criticism, emphasis on constructive). Please please please comment, I want to know what you think.
Stay safe out there in this crazy world and don't forget to keep on smiling and keep on surviving everyone.
Peace Out ✌️
Author

1721 words

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

597K 9.3K 87
A text story set place in the golden trio era! You are the it girl of Slytherin, the glue holding your deranged friend group together, the girl no...
43.9M 1.3M 37
"You are mine," He murmured across my skin. He inhaled my scent deeply and kissed the mark he gave me. I shuddered as he lightly nipped it. "Danny, y...
214K 4.5K 47
"You brush past me in the hallway And you don't think I can see ya, do ya? I've been watchin' you for ages And I spend my time tryin' not to feel it"...
181K 18.6K 24
"๐™๐™ค๐™ช๐™˜๐™ ๐™ฎ๐™ค๐™ช๐™ง๐™จ๐™š๐™ก๐™›, ๐™œ๐™ž๐™ง๐™ก. ๐™„ ๐™ฌ๐™–๐™ฃ๐™ฃ๐™– ๐™จ๐™š๐™š ๐™ž๐™ฉ" Mr Jeon's word lingered on my skin and ignited me. The feeling that comes when yo...