the beach | noel miller

By laurakinneyX-23

"if I told you that I loved you, tell what would you say? If I told you that I hated you, would you go away... More

introduction
prologue
i
ii
iii
iv
v
vi
vii
viii
viii
ix
x
xi
xii
xiii
xiv
xv
xvi (rewritten)
xvii
xix
xx
xxi
xxii
xxiii

xviii

619 22 17
By laurakinneyX-23

a/n: hey guys!! i don't wanna promise anything but hopefully i'm back. its been a long few months but I randomly got a burst of creativity and decided to pour it into this story. thanks for sticking around.

"Is this funny enough for the intro?"

"Yes."

"Rose you didn't even laugh?"

"If I said it's funny.. it's funny."

Marcus's laughter is heard over the siblings bickering.

They're out for breakfast at some boujee LA restaurant that Cody somehow found. The time goes pretty quickly with Cody shoving a camera in everyone's faces for content and Rose cussing him out every 10 minutes.

"What are we doing today?" Marcus asks his roommates.

Rose honestly can't be bothered doing anything, not even dancing.

"I don't fucking know" she tells him half heartedly.

She would focus on the fact she doesn't feel the need to go into the studio but it'll just lead her down a rabbit hole that, as before she can't be bothered doing. Rose will never admit it aloud but she's enjoying the summer. Doing nothing.

"Let's go to the beach" she says out of nowhere.

The group immediately agrees at her idea before Cody looks at her looking like he's about to get in trouble.

"Can I invite some people?" he says quickly.

She shrugs her shoulders, "yeah I don't care."

Marcus throws his arms around her, "what's gotten into you?"

She offers a tight smile, "want me to change my mind?"

"No ma'am."

It's afternoon by the time they finally get down to the beach because of waiting for Devon to get home. Cody invited most of the people in their group chat to come down, promising that there would be a bonfire and barbecue.. if he wasn't wasted.

Rose is sitting on a towel on her phone occasionally watching her roommates fuck around in the water. She tasked herself with waiting for everyone to come, not wanting to get her hair dirty after just washing it.

She thinks back to see who actually said yes and frowns at the fact if Noel said yes or no. Why would she care?

She doesn't tell herself, until she finds herself opening contacts and clicking on his name.

His name has always found a permanent place on the top of her phone.

Noel Miller

"Hey, I wasn't expecting this"

".. didn't feel like texting"

"Hi Rose."

"Hi Noel."

"How are y-"

"We're not doing this.
Gross. Have you seen the groupchat?"

"You really know how to make a guy swoon."

"Answer the question!"

"Yes I have"

"Okay... and?"

"I'm not saying shit until you ask"

"I'm not asking shit."

"...."

"...."

"For fuck sakes. Are you coming tonight?"

"I thought you'd never ask."

"I'm hanging up now. See you later."

"You will."

If she saw herself right now, she'd want to punch the stupid smile that's plastering her face. She hated that her favourite thing about this day was hearing the way he was smiling at her unwillingness to invite him out.

It's making her sick.

"Who were you talking to?" Devon asks, curious.

Rose jumps at his voice, "oh, mom"

He nods and asks about how she's going, Rose lying through her teeth before he finally changes the subject. The sun was starting to set before everyone finally arrived, drinks in mostly everyones hand.

Rose spots Kelsey looking like she needs help, but before arguing with herself over if she should help or not, remembers their last conversation but pushes the embarrassment down and walks over to her.

"Need a hand?" she asks the struggling girl.

Kelsey laughs, letting out a desperate "please."

Rose takes a chair out of her hand and subconsciously places it next to her towel knowing they'd probably stick together anyways.

Kelsey notices it, smiling at non verbal welcome.

"Have you been in the water yet?" Kelsey asks, making conversation.

"I washed my hair today, otherwise I would."

"You could always tie it up?" she says, grinning.

Rose contemplates looking back in forth between the girl in front of her and the water.

She thinks about how most likely her brother or one of the guys will come and dunk her under water but also thinks that Kelsey is extending a branch.

She sighs at Kelsey who's already taking off her shorts, "fine." The girl squeals in excitement, already having fun.

Rose throws off her shorts and t-shirt and catches up to Kelsey.

"I think we should just run in, you know? Bite the bullet" she explains already feeling how cold it is.

Rose laughs putting her feet in, "it's not that cold. Kelsey gasps at her statement, "push me in."
Rose looks at her, "what?"

"I'm not gonna go in otherwise just give me a shove."

Rose starts to grin, "but wha-" she starts before catching Kelsey off guard and shoving her in. She laughs, really laughs at Kelseys reaction before watching her resurface.

"I meant on the count of 3 or something!" she says, laughing along too. The two girls stand in the water giggling like little kids at their own antics, as Cody watches along.

After probably half an hour in the water, splashing around like kids the girls decide to get out agreeing on how it was getting cold.

Rose hasn't even had time to think about how much fun she's having because of the fun she's having.

She feels light.

And even better when she spots Noel around the fire talking with some of the other guys.

Wrapping a towel around her she makes sure Kelsey isn't alone before wandering over to Noel.

She waits for the conversation to end before bumping her shoulder with his, like an idiot.

"Hi," she says, a smile creeping up on her face.

He returns the smile, "hey Rose."

"You look like you were having fun" he teases.

She rolls her eyes, "I was in fact, having fun."

He laughs, "you want a drink? I saw a red bull in one of those coolers" he asks pointing over to the stack of alcohol.

She nods and goes to walk over before he stops her, "I'll get it, need a refill anyways."

Noel stops midway through walking over and turns around, "find us chairs!"

She chuckles at the fact they'll be hanging out again but takes up his offer anyways. Throwing on her t-shirt and shorts, before going and finding some flimsy beach chairs.

Noel sneaks up on her, planting the cold red bull can on her shoulder, to which Rose nearly screamed at.

"What the fuck?!" she tells him trying to hide a laugh.

"Fuck you" she tells him, before accepting the drink.

They talk for awhile about their week, Noel telling her what he's been doing with videos and Rose telling him she ordered a new surfboard.

She tried to play off the excitement but he knew by the detail she was going into she was, and he found it cute. They're conversation is interrupted by a somewhat welcome intruder.

"Hey Kelsey" Noel greets her, before Rose pats a seat next to her.

"What are they doing now?" Rose asks knowingly.

"About to play vo-"

"Noel!" Cody yells out.

"Come play!" he tells his best friend before running over and making him go.

Rose raises her eyebrows and cracks a smile at the unamused face of Noel.

"Have fun" she says teasingly.

Kelsey finally finishes her sentence, "about to play volleyball."

Rose grimaces, "how can they even see?"

Kelsey laughs, "that's the point."

This makes her chuckle, shaking her head at the idiots in front of them.

Pushing away the feeling of disappointment now that Noel isn't near her, she pulls out her phone. Replying to texts, scrolling on Instagram and talking to Kelsey about their day is how she occupies herself.

Rose listens as Kelsey tells her the stressful day she had teaching, Rose pitying the fact she has to put up with those gremlins everyday.

The conversation goes quiet for a while, both of them not seeming to mind until Kelsey speaks up again.

"Hey Cody and I's 6 month anniversary is coming up, do you uh have any ideas what I should get him?"

Rose almost, the keyword almost wants to say how she would know and call it a day but she finds it sweet how she's making an effort.

"To be honest he isn't really into that. I don't think so anyway, I mean probably with you but uh... he's big on photos and capturing memories. Maybe framing a few photos of you two would be cute?" Rose offers.

Kelsey smiles at the idea loving it, "that's so helpful thank you Rose."

She returns one back.

A few other of the girls who were there eventually come and join Kelsey and Rose. Rose lost interest about 5 minutes into the conversation and refocused her attention back onto the ongoing volleyball game.

More like on Noel but nevertheless. They sucked but that doesn't mean it wasn't amusing.

"Rose.. Rose!" one of the girls call out

She turns her attention back on Jessie, the one who was calling out to her, "yeah?"

"We were talking about my birthday party, it's next week, are you coming?" she asks sweetly.

Rose thought about for a second, "yeah sure" and hoped that no further questions would be asked. There's a good chance she won't actually show.

Kelsey watches Rose before leaning over, "you okay?"

Rose looks surprised knowing nothings wrong, yeah, just need this redbull to kick in" she jokes.

Speaking of her drink she notices it's empty and decides to get up and get another one, trying to polite she asks the others if they want any but gets returns with multiple "i'm good's."

Walking over to the coolers she tries to figure out which one doesn't contain alcohol which proves to be more of a struggle than she thought.

"It's the blue one" a voice all too familiar speaks up.

With her back to him, she smiles before turning around.

"Thanks."

The silence between them is noticeable but not tension filled. It just feels weird and she's not sure why.

"You suck at volleyball by the way" she says out of the blue.

He looks at her, "oh so you were watching me?"

"It's like when something bad happens you know you shouldn't watch but you can't take your eyes away from it."

"Are you calling me a car accident?"

Rose laughs before chucking him a beer that he was obviously getting.

She doesn't say bye before walking back over to the girls because they both know they'll find each other again during this night anyways. And they do, everyone regroups around the fire a few minutes later.

A few hours pass of just everyone just chilling around the fire and Noel just can't help but notice how quiet Rose is being.

"You good," he says somewhat quietly.

She raises an eyebrow, "you're the second person to ask me that tonight."

He doesn't say anything, silently pushing her to say more.

"I'm fine, just not in the mood to talk" she says.

"To me?" he asks jokingly.

She flashes a smile, "never."

He's still not that convinced but that's her joke as a good sign.

"I wanna bail" she says to him while not looking at him.

He looks around before agreeing, "me too."

They sit in silence again for a while until she pulls out her phone, tapping on his name.

Noel Miller

What's our excuse?
read at 8:23 pm

There's a reason why u come up with them

You're so annoying.

I'm gonna leave soon with or without you.

Be patient
delivered at 8:24 pm

She wasn't. Instead she randomly announced her departure earning a few "why's" from her friends but just said it was because she was tired.

It wasn't a full lie, she just felt off.

"Are you gonna walk back by yourself?" Cody asks, voice full of concern.

Rose knew what was coming.

Noel speaks up, "I can walk her back, I'm probably gonna head back too."

She wants to laugh but doesn't.

Cody nods thanking Noel at the seamlessly friendly gesture.

After getting the keys of Marcus she waits for Noel to get his stuff. Offering a few bye's to Kelsey and the girls they make their way home and just as they're out of sight of everyone, Rose shoves Noel.

"You're so annoying" she tells him for the second time tonight.

"Maybe if you were patient I would have been able to come up with something better."

"Are you actually going home?" he asks.

She thinks for a second, "there's nowhere else to go."

"Ice cream" he says.

She glances at him, "ice cream?"

"There's a shop up there," he says, pointing to the shops along the boardwalk. She shakes her head but doesn't exactly say no.

After much debate over what flavour to get, they finally ordered, feeling bad for the poor employee who was just about to close until they walked in.

Walking along the boardwalk a little too closely, Rose speaks up.

"Can you even drive home?" she asks.

He scratches his head, "I mean won't this help?" he says pointing to the ice cream cone in his head.

She sighs at his logic, "probably not enough you imbecile."

They laugh while dancing around the question she initially tried to ask. They eventually reach her house after it had taken them way longer than expected, probably due to them not caring how long it took. They just wanted to spend time together.
She opens the front door before turning to Noel giving a knowing look, "you're crashing on the couch right?"

He laughs, "yeah probably."

They laugh while getting in the door, Rose going straight to her room and Noel following. Noel watches as she most likely is finding comfy clothes, he looks around her room carelessly before his eyes land on the guitar.

He springs up, making Rose jump before she figures out what he's doing.

"No-" she tries to say but he's already talking.

"Come on! Please" he pleads with her.

"I said no."

He mimics her like a little kid, "no ones here you just play for me?"

She laughs, "I don't want to play for you."

He sighs, "I'm starting to think you don't actually know how to play."

This makes her annoyed. She's aware he's obviously joking but it's like Rose will always have the need to prove people wrong. She cocks her head sideways and looks at him, thinking about whether or not she's gonna do this.

Fuck it she thinks.

"Give me it" is all she says.

The boyish grin and cheer from the guy in front of her makes it worth it, "what do you wanna hear?" she asks.

"Creep by Radiohead"

She looks at him, "of course you like the male manipulator music."

He laughs, "what can I say?"

She takes a second to get comfy, before starting to strum the chords.

"When you were here before..."

Not once during the course of the song does Rose look at him, she just has her head done.

Not once until the line, "you're so fucking special."

She cracks a smile every time she gets to that like, Noel would take notice if he wasn't busy falling in love with the girl playing the guitar in front of him.

That's what it was, he was feeling love.

The way her voice cracks on certain words, the nervous bobbing of her head, the smile at certain lines.

She cracks a smile every time she gets to that like, Noel would take notice if he wasn't busy falling in love with the girl playing the guitar in front of him.

That's what it was, he was feeling love. The way her voice cracks on certain words, the nervous bobbing of her head, the smile at certain lines, Noel Miller was utterly fucked

She finishes the song, before finally looking up only to see a dopey grin on the guy in front of her. Rose finally raises her eyebrows waiting for him to say something, anything.

He doesn't, not for a few seconds anyways. And when he does it's not words, just his mouth against hers. Again.

Rose didn't react for a moment trying to process what the fuck was happening but welcomed it aynways. She always would.

She awkwardly places her guitar on the floor allowing them to move closer, it's when Noel grabs her face and pulls Rose in even closer.

They do this for a while before stopping to catch their breaths, they don't pull away but rest their foreheads together.

"What happened to friends" she mumbles out, a grin making a way to her face.

He laughs at her, "friends do this all the time."

Rose is the one to pull back first and dramatically falls back onto her pillows. She looks over to Noel who's smiling widely, "what are you smiling at?" she asks.

He copies her position lying right down next to her, "oh nothing."

"I didn't know you could play that well."

"Hm."

"Thank you."

"For what?"

He looks at her face to face trying to communicate what he was feeling. It works. Rose knows it somewhere inside of her. Noel knows how that was probably the most vulnerable he was ever gonna see her.

Rose stands up to turn off the light and closes her door yet Noel just remains in his spot. She finally changed into the clothes she laid out when she got home and walked over to her bed.

"Get up" she says.

He raises his eyebrows before she explains.

"We're not sleeping on top of the made bed?" she tells him.

"We?"

She scrunches her face up before throwing some decorative pillows and blankets off her bed.

"Ay can we turn the TV on? I'm nowhere near tired."

"Yeah I always do, I can't sleep without background noise."

After coming to an agreement on what to watch they both get comfortable, not even thinking about the fact that they were at Rose's house. The house where anyone could walk in at any minute. They didn't care.

Rose falls asleep pretty quickly, her head found a place on Noel's shoulder about 10 minutes into the show they were watching. Noel crashes a few episodes down, leaving the hum of the tv in the background as the two friends are tangled up without a care in the world.

The world doesn't exist when the two seem to be together, ever.

While the pair sleep, they're completely obviously to Rose's door being opened by a curly haired girl who's had too many white claws, wanting to say goodnight to her boyfriend's little sister.

"I fucking knew it!" she yells a little too loudly to literally no one but herself.

While she flinches at the fact whether or not she just woke them up, Kelsey didn't even flinch at the sight of the two completely knocked out together, she has always known from day one.

She smiles before closing Rose's door this time more gently not expecting them to both be asleep and throws a fist in the air at how good her detective skills are.

And while the semi drunk girl stumbles down the hallway to her boyfriend's room, she's completely oblivious to the fact she woke both Rose and Noel up. They're both groggy but aware that someone had just seen them.

"Well that was bound to happen" she croaks out.

"Yeah we may as well just kiss now" he slurs still half asleep.

Rose lets out a sleepy laugh, "shh go to bed."

"The fact I even fell asleep the first time is crazy , I don't know how i'm gonna do it a second time."

Rose tries to think of what she can do before she just reaches over to Noel and pulls him closer.

"Come here" she whispers.

He was about to ask what she's doing before he feels her hand in his hair, pulling it gently enough for it to relax.

"Night" he mumbles into her neck already falling asleep.

"Goodnight" she says back.

Kelsey Kreppel

Ok I knsw I'm a tiny little bit drunk but!!!!! I think u guys are super cute

Are h guys even a thing

I don't think so

Omg sorry

but ur so cute together!!!!!!!!!!!!!

he totally likes u

speaking of like I like you !!! I know u probably
Hate me but ily rose

Okay mwah goodnight!
delivered at 11:35 pm

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3K 493 65
Perfect hair, check. Sexy body, check. Bright Career, check. Dramaless life, check. Awesome job, check. Boyfriend, unchecked......... When the highsc...
150 38 9
Have you ever had to watch your guy best friend the guy you not so secretly love, fall in love, 11 times over? But it's fine cause you're popular an...
305 17 9
It all started with the 1 month camping trip, I never thought that I would be together with my worst enemy I ever had but it just happened I fell in...
2.3M 27.6K 52
**I AM SLOWLY EDITING THIS!!!** WARNING: This is in no way a fairy tale. Kylie's been living life as simply as possible with her childhood friends an...