Hues in Love (COMPLETE)

By ariksbell

"๐๐ฎ๐ญ ๐ฌ๐ฐ๐ž๐ž๐ญ๐ก๐ž๐š๐ซ๐ญ, ๐ˆ'๐ฅ๐ฅ ๐ฉ๐ฎ๐ง๐ข๐ฌ๐ก ๐ฒ๐จ๐ฎ ๐ž๐ฏ๐ž๐ซ๐ฒ ๐ง๐ข๐ ๐ก๐ญ ๐ข๐Ÿ ๐ฒ๐จ๐ฎ ๐ซ๐ฎ๐ง ๐š๐ฐ๐š๐ฒ,"... More

I.into the unknown
II.onward home(?)
III.used and abused
IV.getting to know
V.the deal
VI.nightmare
VII.baby, it's cold
VIII. arrival
IX.first morn
XI.furthermore
XII.playing assistant
XIII.godforsaken woman
XIV.rock my world
XV.nightly swimming
XVI.lousy scheme
XVII.What I want to come home to
XVIII.taking her fishing
XIX.get out this instant
XX.torturing the saint
XXI.out of desperation
XXII.moving on
XXIII.virgins
XXIV. sealing the deal
XXV.where are you going?
XXVI.double surprises
epilogue

X.the puppet master

2.3K 162 9
By ariksbell

As usual, Agatha woke up early, already preparing breakfast for Genesis who was, presumably, upstairs, getting ready, judging from the muffled soft footfalls.

Agatha momentarily stopped in her tracks, feeling an unfamiliar presence behind her, gluing Agatha in her spot, her heart pounding against her chest.

Suddenly, she felt like she was back again in Cedarburg, in that little washing room, lying in buddled rags.

Agatha jumped from surprise when she felt a gloved hand touch her shoulder. In an instant, lifting her head, she twisted her upper body, clenching the apricot-colored apron to stop herself from trembling like a scared little girl.

Scared little girl, isn't that what she is from the very start?

There stood a tall burly man, probably the same age as Genesis, in his late twenties or so.

Arching his brow, he greeted Agatha in a very masculine voice, "You must be Agatha Harris,"

Agatha simply stood before him, forcing herself not to take much notice on his hand still resting on her shoulder.

Chuckling, he lightly waved his hand off, Agatha letting out a soft sigh as soon as his hand vanished, "Where are my manners? My name's Devon, Genesis' friend,"

Suddenly, Agatha felt like an utter prick, for acting like this in front of Genesis' friend. The last thing she wants is to humiliate Genesis due to her eye-rolling presence.

"Ge-genesis will be down any mi-minute now," responded Agatha, praying her stutters won't worsen things more though who is she kidding?

Devon, lifting his dirty white hat, tipped his head at her, sitting down, running his fingers through his blond combed hair.

Wincing, Agatha coerced herself not to sweeten for she could feel his emerald eyes boring behind her.

"Genesis didn't tell me how enticing you are," she heard Devon said, crossing his arms, his eyes traveling from her pretty head to toe.

Agatha didn't answer in the first place, she doesn't know what to reply. Instead, she laid three plates on the wooden table, one for Devon who was still gaping at her, making her uncomfortable.

"You mute, hun?" was the question that almost paved the way for Agatha to slip the plate from her fingers.

Lifting her head, staring at his amused features, dimple showing in one side, "No, am no-not, sir,"

Agatha knew Devon was about to strike once more when they heard Genesis' footfalls nearing towards them.

Devon straightened his seat, shrugging the invisible dust over his pants, tipping his head at the sight of Genesis who doesn't seem surprised one bit at his presence like Agatha here.

"How was your trip?" greeted Genesis, sitting down.

"T'was fine. Same as usual," answered Devon, his eyes still plastered on Agatha who sat across him, her entire attention directed over her meal.

That didn't escape Genesis attention, "I see you have met Agatha here,"

Devon, his eyes still over her, arched his brow, "Yes, pretty little thing, too bad she isn't much of a talker,"

Brows meeting, lips pressed together, Genesis doesn't like one bit where his friend's thoughts are leading. He's no stupid, he knew what's going on that brain of Devon.

Devon, all of a sudden, then coughing, instantly, Agatha rose from her seat, fetched the pitcher of water, thus, filling Devon's cup.

Grinning sardonically, Devon gulped the whole cup in one drink, his eyes on hers the whole time, arching his brow, he said, "Thank you, hun,".

At the corner of Genesis' eyes, he saw it again, the reddening of her cheeks.

Narrowing his eyes, Genesis felt a spark of anger inside. For some reason, he doesn't like seeing Agatha blushing on any other man, especially Devon.

His friend, let's just say, had it all. The white privilege, the good looks and charm, and his sweet-talk that could swoon numerous women in the pub.

Back in his gunslinger days, one of his pal Ibarra described Devon as 'handsome as sin'

Also, why is Devon calling Agatha 'hun'?

Before Genesis knew it, he rose from his seat, fetched his brown hat on the side, "Devon and I better get going,"

Agatha lifted her head from her seat at his words, obviously crestfallen for not eating the food she had prepared.

Truth be told, Genesis felt guilty about it. Everything Agatha cooks is more than delicious. He just lost his appetite at the idea of the three of them eating altogether, all while Devon is looking at Agatha as if he was undressing her.

Devon, meanwhile, gave him a confused and startled look, "But Agatha here prepared such delicious food, Genesis and you know we hadn't eaten anything heavenly like this in ranch,"

Narrowing his eyes, gripping his hat, he remained persistent, "I said let's go, Devon. We still have so many things to do,"

"Come on, man, loosen up a little," responded Devon, chuckling, chugging down the scrambled egg.

"Mr. Grumpy pants here must've woken up on the wrong side of the bed," Devon teased, winking at Agatha who can't help herself from softly chuckling at his words.

Genesis lost it, with that, he stormed off the house, his loud footfalls echoing, leaving Agatha stunned and Devon confused.

Agatha had watched the whole banter with confusion, thinking perhaps that's what their friendship is all about.

It's no foreign to her. She heard tons and tons of men back in Cedarburg alternate between laughing and tearing each other apart.

Agatha stopped in her train of thoughts when her ears picked up the masculine sound of Devon's chuckle, a few seats away from her, shaking his head.

Gingerly rosing from his seat, his fingers curled around his hat, tipping his head, he said, "Thanks for the meal, hun, I better follow Genesis,"

With that, Agatha was left all alone, with unfinished plates before her.

Letting out a soft sigh, Agatha began cleaning them up, her mind drifting to why Genesis seems not himself today.

Being paranoid, Agatha had already conjured many reasons why Genesis seems furious.

Was it due to her cooking?

Her red hair that even she was ultimately insecure about? Oh, if only she there's a hair dye here somewhere.

Was it because of her ugly ragged dress? And that he was ashamed of her, looking like a beggar in front of his friend?

Agatha swore she'll finish sewing the dress tonight. No more, no less.

After an hour, Agatha knew Genesis would've been ultimately starving now, considering he hasn't eaten breakfast and his tasks require much energy.

With that, Agatha hurriedly prepared a meal for him, carefully packing it in cloth, a jug filled with water as well. Agatha was already in the doorway when she realized Devon was with Genesis.

Eager not to humiliate Genesis, Agatha prepared a set of the meal for Devon as well.

As soon as Agatha caught sight of them at the field, Agatha released a sigh of relief, thanking the Heavens-Above for wearing shirts for God knows she couldn't handle seeing half-naked men.

It was Devon who first saw her, bringing down his plow, waving his glistening hand in the air.

Genesis brought down the tool beside Devon's, giving Devon a confused look until he saw her. Instantly, the corners of his lips turned up, causing Agatha to blush, her heart skipping a beat, her face downcast, hiding her smile.

As soon as she reached them, she said, 'If i-figured you're hungry so I deliver-vered the meal ear-earlier,"

Agatha watched as Genesis wiped his nape and temple with a towel, mesmerized, Agatha offered her the jug of water.

Genesis was about to accept it, a smile on his face when suddenly, it was snatched by Devon who was now chugging the water.

"Thank you, hun," said Devon in-between, his hand against his hip, the water overflowing until some reached his shirt, mixing well with his sweat-drenched shirt.

Narrowing his eyes, Genesis only shook his head, biting her lips, "He-here," she uttered, offering him the other jug she bought.

"Thank you, Agatha, just excuse Devon's animalistic behavior," he exclaimed before chugging down the water.

"Let's see what you have here, oh, bread? Where'd you learn to make one? Oh, not bad, hun, pretty tasty," Devon was already crouching beside her, rummaging the basket she brought.

He was too near, that's for sure. Agatha, gathering her skirt to herself, answered, "I wa-was a cook back in Cedarburg,"

Looking up at her, inches away from her skirt, his handsome face lit up, he replied, winking, "You don't mind teaching me a few cooking tips, hun?"

Her sapphire eyes looking sideways, over Genesis, she could tell him too, like her, is not liking whatever Devon is doing.

Agatha merely looked down at Devon, unsure what to reply when she felt a warm hand grasp her wrist. Before she could object, Genesis already led her far from Devon who was staring at them, his blond brow arched, amused.

Now alone, Agatha knew Genesis' annoyance seems to worsen. "Go home, Agatha," ordered Genesis in such a pissed off tone.

It's the first time Agatha saw him like this, his brow furrowed, lips pressed, as if forcing himself not to scream despite his already rising voice.

"I wa-was ju-"

"I said go home, Agatha. You already delivered the food, nothing for you here anymore," every word he speaks, if felt like Agatha was being stabbed due to how sharp it was.

Wincing, Agatha wanted to pull her hair in frustration for being so weak, for already feeling the pooling of her tears.

Not wanting to cry in front of Genesis, Agatha ran back to the house.

Only when Agatha heard Genesis hollered, "I didn't mean-" did her hot tears finally give up.

Genesis, meanwhile, stared at Agatha who was slowly disappearing from his sight. He could tell by the shaking of her shoulders, she was crying.

Pulling his hair, groaning, "You're so stupid," he scolded to himself.

Genesis couldn't stand the sight of Agatha crying for reasons he doesn't know, God knows his mind already conjured the numerous ways he could murder those who hurt Agatha yet look at him now?

He has made her cry.

He's been the very thing he swore to not become.

Frustrated and with a slumped shoulders, Genesis went back to Devon who was now happily devouring the meal.

His heart wants to run straight back to the house, beg for her forgiveness, wipe away her tears but he knows now's not the time for that. He needs to give her time.

For the whole day, Genesis couldn't focus much on his task. All-day, Devon talked and talked, all Genesis could ever do is nod.

His mind wandered to Agatha. If she's okay now? Is she still angry at him?

Of course, Genesis would understand if she still is, who wouldn't be. The girl had enough troubles already, with all her stutters and all yet what did he do? Shooting her as if she was nothing but a cat.

That night, Genesis hurriedly ran towards the house, barely bidding goodbye to Devon, ignoring his amused gazes.

Genesis couldn't stop himself from cursing when Agatha was not in the kitchen like she always does whenever he comes home.

Instead, a plate was already sitting on the table. Obviously, Agatha had no plans on eating tonight yet she still managed to prepare a meal for a jerk like him.

Swiftly, standing before her door, Genesis knocked and knocked.

After a few seconds, the door flew open, revealing a crestfallen Agatha whose gaze is cast downwards, as if ashamed at herself.

Suddenly, Genesis, standing before her now, seemed lost for words. Instead, he stared at her adoringly and guiltily.

"I-i'm so-sor-" Agatha hasn't finished what she was about to say when Genesis enveloped his arms around hers.

Her saying sorry made him more reasons to feel like an asshole for letting Agatha spend the day believing it was her fault, not his.

Breaking the embrace, yet his hands on her shoulders, "I should be the one saying sorry, Agatha, not you,"

"Bu-but-"

"No buts, sweetheart. It was my fault, really. Devon was right, I woke up on the wrong side of the bed," he responded, grinning.

Agatha seems to loosen up at his words for a smile erupted from that sweet little mouth of hers.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

53.3K 2K 16
Tanisha just had the worst day of her life. She got fired on the spot and has to pay her overdue rent before her landlord keeps her out. Tanisha meet...
753K 29.2K 42
Emery needed a job she was only a few days away from losing her apartment... Silas needed a maid-a live in one. Someone to clean and cook for him... ...
22.9K 1.6K 20
Sometimes being a mail order bride means uncovering secrets you'd rather leave hidden... Belle Reid ran away from her old life only to find her new o...
77.9K 4.9K 47
07.14.2022- #1 in 1800s 10.05.2020 - #1 in 1800s 12.12.2020 -#1 in blackandwhite 12.29.2020-#1 bwwm 01.05.2021-#1 blackwoman Set in the 1800s, this s...