The Healer

By MISSCESANIA

Liliana West is a Healer from Sandovia. She was living her life peacefully until the son of a High Lord asked... More

The Day Everything Changed
Chapter 1: Chasing West
Chapter 2: Setting the Kindle
Chapter 3: The Start of Something New
Chapter 4: Comfortable
Chapter 5: A Knight and A Snake
Chapter 6: Hubris Prince
Chapter 7: Bearing The Weight
Chapter 8: Company
Chapter 9: Ambush
Chapter 10: That Escalated Quickly
Chapter 11: Officially Branded
Chapter 12: Day One Conflict
Chapter 13: Visitor
Chapter 14: Day Out
Chapter 15: Pay What You Owe
Chapter 16: The Warning
Chapter 17: I Trust You
Chapter 18: A Good Idea?
Chapter 19: Didn't See That Coming
Chapter 20: The Unexpected Guest
Chapter 21: Comfortable
Chapter 22: Stand up Against
Chapter 23: Sealed
Chapter 24: Duchess of Araenon
Chapter 25 : Surprisingly, Tea Helps
Chapter 26 : Shattered Pieces of The Past
Chapter 27 : Unexpected Pair-Up
Chapter 28 : To Protect
Chapter 29 : The Infiltration (Part I)
Chapter 30 : The Infiltration (Part II)
Chapter 31 : Hesitation
Chapter 32 : Long Live the Duchess
Chapter 33 : Home
Chapter 34 : Clear
Chapter 35 : The Promise
Chapter 37 : The Pirate King
Chapter 38 : Truth
Chapter 39 : Judgement
Chapter 40 : Near the Coast
Chapter 41 : Attack
Chapter 42 : Right on Time
Chapter 43: Sacrifice
Chapter 44: The Beginning of an End
Chapter 45: Fated

Chapter 36 : A Specter from The Past

1.1K 90 4
By MISSCESANIA

DAVIS' WORDS never left my mind after that. I am scared. Very scared. And Davis, saying all those threats made it seem more real. But that promise he made, made me feel assured that he, Exene, and everyone else will protect the people they swore to protect. And I never had any qualms about it.

"What's the Duchess doing in the corner?"

I felt Luca's arm on my shoulder.

"Doesn't it get lonely here?" Levi said as he sat down beside me, pouring my empty glass with wine.

"Not at all. I am enjoying watching you enjoying yourselves." I said as I took a sip.

Luca stood in from of us and extended his hand. "You have to stand and join the dancing though to enjoy yourself better."

Levi joined him and extended his hand too.

"Would you give us this dance, milady?" Levi said as he bowed slightly. I rolled my eyes and gulped down the contents of my glass before I held both their hands and let them carry me into the crowd.

The music was slow but not too much. Just enough for the three us to enjoy dancing under the merry lights.

"Meet me tomorrow in the garden. I'll give you your presents there." I said.

"We'll not be receiving those poultice and ointments that smelled like shit, will we?" Luca made a face dahilan para hampasin ko siya braso.

"Those ointments cured your wound faster than any other medicine, St. Delphi."

"Do you know how many days I had to stop seeing women because I smelled like shit?"

We all chuckled at that. That's right. Just for tonight, I have to not think about it. Just for tonight, I want to laugh without any worries or targets behind my back.

I danced with the two of them for a few minutes until my feet hurts. But I didn't mind. I danced and danced with all my heart, hell, I think I'm drunk but I didn't care. I let all my worries fade with the music.

I didn't know what time is it when I decided to go inside. Somehow, the effect of alcohol is fading away too maybe because I danced too much.

The inside of the house is quieter than the outside. The only people scuttling around in the house are the maids--bringing food and drinks outside.

"Look who's having fun,"

I whirled to see Exene standing in the doorway, leaning by the door frame. Where did he come from? Why haven't I seen him outside? He probably recognized the question in my face. He pushed himself away from the door and walked towards me.

"I was away for a moment. Had some matters to deal with."

"I thought you were in your study. Ares said you'd be sulking because of what happened today," I mumbled the last sentence.

"I didn't hear the last bit. Sorry, what was that?" He was grinning.

"Nevermind. I have to go now. Good night, Your Grace." I said, giving him a sacharine smile. But even before I could walk away from him, he gripped my pulse and pulled me close to him.

"That's not fair. You danced with the St. Delphis and I don't even get the chance?"

"Well, you were away.."

"And now, I'm here," he put my hands on his shoulders. "I don't mind dancing with you all night." He put his hands on my waist.

"I don't mind because it's you," He pulled me close. I could feel my face getting hot.

"What are you talking about?" I said, my voice almost a whisper. Dahil sa totoo lang, I can't stare into his eyes for so long. Because the longer I stare at it, the more I get hypnotized.

"You know what I'm talking about, Liliana." He chuckled as he lifted my face.

"You are the very opposite of my ideal woman," he stared into my eyes. "You're reckless, stubborn, and you like to talk back," he chuckled. "But I don't know why on earth am I so smitten." he continued as he tucked a strand of hair behind my ear.

I have no words. I am literally frozen. My heart is hammering and I can't make it calm down. How does he even do that?

"How can you make an insult sound like a compliment?"

He gave me a small laugh. "Because it is a compliment. They're what I like about you, strangely." he smiled. I rested my head on his chest as we continued to sway slowly with the faint music. I didn't care if the maidens saw us. We're married in their eyes anyway. This is what matters now. Me and him.

We danced and danced until the music changed to something jumpy. I sat on the chair near the window.

"I'll get you something to drink. Stay there," He said and I nodded before he went outside.

I smiled at myself. I never felt this kind of bliss before. I was smiling even when I was massaging my feet from standing too long tonight.

I could see Exene talking with the twins, with two cups in his hands. I was about to stand and and get out nang mahagip ng mata ko ang nasa labas ng bintana.

It was dark, since hindi abot doon ang ilaw mula sa garden. But I am clearly seeing Canary walking to the forest. What is she going to do there this time of the night?

I immediately wore my sandals and ran to the back of the house. The music can barely be heard from this area and it's very dark too. I had to carefully trudge my way from the dried branches and leaves on the way. Where is she?

I didn't bring any flashlight with me and I have no time to go back. Thankfully, my eyes adjusted quickly to the darkness, somehow, I could see where I'm going. I haven't been to this part of the forest. I heaved a deep breath and went in.

The roots are much thicker in this part of the forest and the canopy, is so thick that it's pitch-black. What on earth is Canary doing in here? Exene will be looking for me so I need to go back immediately.

It was impossible to walk fast dahil sa mga ugat ng puno but I managed to maneuver myself. The sound of the music from the party is even fainter in this part and I can only hear the loud sound of crickets and the snapping of branches as I step on them. And then I heard it, a faint sobbing.

I immediately followed the sound until I reached a clearing. There was nothing there but a piece of tree trunk lying on the ground and atop it sat Canary, crying.

And then I remembered it. Earlier this morning, when I heard her and Davis talking. What did Davis say? She's not crying because of it, is she? I heaved a sigh and was about to go close when something stopped me.

No. Someone.

I froze when the hand on my shoulder got heaver. I flinched when the person gripped my shoulder tightly. I immediately turned around only to be pushed to the nearby tree, my mouth covered, my hands on top of my head. And then I saw it. Despite the dark surroundings, I saw it. It was him.

The guy on that ship.

"There are five men surrounding this clearing. One wrong move and they'll shoot the Princess over there. The choice is yours, Liliana." He said

My eyes went to Canary who has no idea what's going on. And then I looked at the man. My breathing heavy. Someone, anyone....

"I need you to come with me, peacefully. Please,"

I struggled but his grip on my hands became tighter and he pushed himself closer to me. I groaned at the pressure of the wood on my back.

"Liliana, If you come peacefully, your friend over there won't be harmed." I stopped struggling and maybe he took it as a sign.

"I will remove my hand. If you shout, one of the men here will shoot. They don't follow my orders."

I didn't respond. He sighed and removed his hand slowly.

"Who are you?" I asked with enough bite on my words.

"Come with me and you'll know."

I looked at where Canary is. She still has no idea what's going on. And then I spotted them. Five men, hidden in the shadows. Ready to strike if anything goes wrong.

"What do you want from me? And why should I trust you wont harm her?" I said as I looked at him. He had sharp features. Strangely familiar.

He didn't answer but instead looked at the men anxiously. "I'm under the orders of bringing you to him. And that woman isn't part of this so she'll be safe."

"Him? Emerich Sardon?"

"No, someone else."

"Apollo."

He did not answer.

"Well, then. Bring me to him," he seemed surprise by my answer ngunit agad ring nawala iyon.

We got into a staring game before he loosened the grip on my hands and completely let me go.

Clearly, this is a bad idea. A really bad one. But I have a feeling I need to go.

Apollo. I have a feeling he's the one who can answer the questions bugging me lately.

* * *

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

15.3K 644 34
She's living like forever, infinitely watching him die. This time, will finally be their last Hi and Goodbye.
25.7K 1.3K 42
For some reason, Ciara, the goddess of Death left the Abadon or known as the lower realm and went up into the Mortal realm. She was hoping for a new...
3M 153K 81
Flare Fyche Henessy is her name. Living an adventurous life across the four continents of Elysian Empire. She's a daredevil, blunt, and feisty woman...
41.9K 673 42
COMPLETED Sa unang beses na maka-encounter ni Amara ang isang lalaki, tila iba na ang naging epekto nito sa kaniya. Simula nang araw na iyon, naging...