The Cost of Love

By seaofgold

"I used to always talk about escaping this place. Always thinking about it, always dreaming about it. I would... More

The Cost of Love
Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37

Chapter 6

942 27 12
By seaofgold

Song of the Chapter: "Pursuit of Happiness" by Kid Cudi. (Idk its a party song lol)

This chapter is dedicated to anywhere_else, because she won my little 'make your own character' contest thingy! She created her own character (Adrian) who is now used in my story!

Picture of Adrian on the side -------------->

Enjoy! :)

Chapter 6

Kiara POV

          Connor had his eyebrow raised, but not in a joking manner. His mouth was set into a frown, and he crossed his arms. His forearms tensed as he looked us over.

          "Who's he?" He asked, eerily calm. People around the café started to whisper animatedly, debating whether Connor would kill Adrian or vice versa.

          I looked between the two of them. Connor was slightly taller, but I've seen Adrian fight. He's had good experience. "Uh... This is Adrian. His father's the Beta of the pack." Connor didn't look impressed.

           "He's been training in New Zealand for the past few weeks." I added. He and some other pack members went there to learn combat and such. I hadn't known they would be back today. I turned my attention back on Adrian. "I thought you were supposed to come back next week?" I asked him in disbelief.

          He beamed. "Well I couldn't let my best friend start school all by herself, now could I?" A smile lit up my face before I could help it. Adrian knew I was nervous about going back to school next week. Being the Alpha's daughter, whether I liked it or not, gave me a status in the social structure of high school. A lot of people were intimidated by my position, meaning no one would really talk to me unless I addressed them first. Since Adrian is the Beta's son, he's also thrust into this life of status. We've stuck together, with a few other friends, but he's the one who kept me sane all these years.

          Everyone thought we were mates. He's one of the select number of people who my father trusts; my father was almost disappointed that we weren't mates. But I could never think of Adrian like that. I know it sounds cliché, but I really do think of him as my brother. He's my best friend.

          "How did you know I was here?" I asked him.

                    "Your dad told me. And I saw Chase outside." He winked at some girls eavesdropping on our conversation, making them squeal. Adrian used his Beta status for his benefit mostly. He was always fun, always outoing. He made a joke out of everything. And that's why we were such good friends. He gave me a questioning look, as if just noticing Connor's annoyed stare.

          "Keek..." I tried to ignore the weird nickname. He's called me that for ages. "Why is there a rogue in here?" 

          Connor narrowed his eyes, and strided over to where we were standing. He slung an arm around my shoulder as a sign of protection, and it took all I had not to melt in his arms. Does this mean he wants me? I bit my lip, and snuck a glance up at him. His expression had softened now that he was near me, but I could see that his jaw was still tense. I sighed. Men and their pride... 

                    "I'm Connor." I involuntarily leaned closer against him, so that I was pressed against his chest and... other places. He took a sharp intake of breath, and I giggled into my palm. I think I love the effect I have on him a little too much. 

          Adrian grimaced, looking outraged. "Kiara, does your dad know about this? How many times have you snuck away to be with this rogue?" I heard a low growl beside me, and my eyes widened. 

          "He's my mate, Adrian." His mouth dropped open, his eyes shifitng from Connor to me, and back again.

          Connor had a small, satisfied smile on his face, trying not to show that he was secretly loving this. He had tightened his hold around me on the word 'mate'. Is he feeling the bond as much as I am right now? 

          Something flashed in Adrian's eyes as he blew out the air from his cheeks. "Shit, Kiara. You have a mate?"

                    "Yes, Adrian. Is that so hard to beleive?" I was getting a little annoyed. Am I that disgusting to where no one could be with me?

                    "A rogue?"

               "I'm not a rogue anymore," Connor interjected, narrowing his eyes again. "I joined the pack yesterday." Adrian looked at me with a pained expression, and sighed.

          "Okay, I get it. I don't like it... But I get it." He held out his hand. "Adrian Jackson." Connor shook his hand, using more force than necessary. However, Adrian's face didn't show it. He moved his hair out of his face, and the grin was back. "So, are you coming to the party tonight? I heard this one's going to be sick!" Yup, that's the Adrian I know.

          I gave Connor a knowing smile. "Wouldn't miss it for the world. Right Connor?" He grunted a 'Yeah', and I cracked up. Oh, this was going to be fun. 

          "You guys are weird," Adrian replied. Once my laughter died down, he slipped on his jacket. "Well I'm going to go unpack and stuff. I'll see you later?" I nodded and he walked out the door, leaving a trail of whispering girls in his wake. 

          "We should probably get going too," I said, reaching for my wallet. Connor placed his hand over mine, sending jolts of electricity up my arm.

                    "I got it." He handed a ten dollar bill to the waitress. She eyed him up and down, flashing him a flirty smile. I pouted. Hey lady, get your own mate! 

          He laced his fingers with mine as we exited the café, playing with my fingers. I don't even think he realized he was doing it. Chase was patiently waiting for us in front of the door, and followed us on the walk to the pack house. I ignored him and focused my attention on Connor. 

          "You didn't have to do that," I told him, referring to the bill. "I was the one who suggested we go." 

          He shrugged. "Isn't the guy supposed to pay on the first date?" He gave me one of his rare smiles, the ones that stop my heart. Sweet Connor was back. I tugged at my lip with my teeth, fighting a grin of my own. 

          It was quiet for a moment. "He wants you," Connor stated. I gave him a questioning look. "Adrian. I see the way he looks at you." 

          "Nah, we're just friends." I waved it off. Then I smirked. "Are you jealous?" 

          "What?" He ran a hand through his hair, looking flustered. He looked up at me again, the playful look in his eyes now gone. "No-- I mean... I'm your only mate, right? Some guy isn't going to show up saying you're his?" I laughed and shook my head. 

          He nodded, looking down. "Good," he mumbled. It was quiet again, until we arrived at the pack house. He looked like he was thinking really hard... again. Why does he keep his thoughts to himself all the time? It seems like he has so much information in that head of his; If I were him, I wouldn't be able to keep my mouth shut. He'll open up, Kiara. It just takes time. 

          "Hey, I'm going to go shower. I'll see you at the party," he rushed out. I didn't even get a chance to respond as he was already nodding to Chase, and taking off towards the house.  

          "Chase what time is it?" I asked. 

          "Three thirty." I huffed. The party starts at eight. I had five hours to kill before I could show Connor how to really have fun. I still can't believe that all he does is train. His instructor must have been strict. Or crazy. Maybe both.  "You have to say goodbye to your father before he leaves. You know how he likes to see that you're safe before he goes," Chase added. I nodded, and followed him to the driveway. Cars were parked everywhere; enough to take all the adults in the pack to a couple towns over. 

          My dad was at the front, guiding people to their cars and helping with luggage. And there was a lot of luggage. I mean, jeez! They were only going to be gone 24 hours! I skipped up to my dad, and hugged him around the waist. 

          "Have a good time, Dad," I whispered. He chuckled, and turned around to face me. 

          "Be good. Don't go anywhere without Chase to escort you." I rolled my eyes. "And Connor may not switch rooms." 

          "But--" 

          "Love you." He opened the car door, and gave me a cheeky smile. Although he's strict, deep down he's just like me. 

          My mom kissed me on the cheek. "Have fun, sweetie." Her brown hair swirled in the breeze. I wish mine did that. Whenever the wind blows through my hair, it gets tangled and takes an hour to brush the knots out. Appearance-wise, I looked just like my mom. Dark brown hair, blue eyes. However, my mom was calm, collected, and poised. Even her name was graceful: Lynn Everhart. The perfect Alpha-Female. Unlike me. 

          "Love you, Mom," I said as they got into the car. She blew me a kiss from the window, and I watched all of the cars drive away before running into the pack house. 

          Inside, people were already getting the house ready for the party. It's the biggest party of the semester; I mean, no adults for 24 hours? Who wouldn't take that opportunity? People from the other pack houses were even invited. It was going to be massive. I just hope Connor will have fun. He deserves it.

          "Kiara, where should we put the keg?" A blonde girl asked me. Her name was Haley, I think. 

          I pointed to the window. "Backyard." A couple of girls came up to me and asked me if I thought they looked alright. I gave them a smile, but honestly, they looked like whores. One looked like she was bursting out of her top, while the other looked like she didn't even have a top on. It was some sort of bralette type of thing. They both were wearing skirts that would be better off as belts. They skipped off, giggling over the possibilities of tonight's party. 

          "Jessie and Isabel Cornwall. Also known as, the 'Two Week Twins'." I turned to my left, identifying the voice. A girl wearing a long, gray dress with beat up, black combat boots was sitting on the couch of the living room. She was sucking on a cherry lollipop, tapping her shoes against the wooden floor.

          "Two Week Twins?"

          She tied her blonde hair up in an elastic, her choppy bangs falling in her face. "Yup. Can't go two weeks without latching on to a different guy. Some are even at the same time." She rolled her eyes.

          I laughed. Judging from the way they dress, that sounded about right. "Why don't I know them?"

          "They live at the other pack house across town. But they made me drive them here, to the 'Most Exclusive Party of the Year.'"  

          "And you are?" 

          "Savannah Cornwall. I live over there, too." She held out a hand for me to shake. I shook her hand  and raised an eyebrow. Was she their sister or something?

          She laughed, as if reading my mind. "I'm their cousin. I would have disowned myself if I was in their immediate family. It's bad enough being remotely related to those sluts." I laughed, too. I like this girl. 

          "Are you staying for the party, too?" She shook her head. 

          "I actually gotta head out... It was nice meeting you."

          "I'm--" I started, but she cut me off.

          "Kiara, I know. Daughter of the Alpha, the mate of a rogue..." She trailed off.  

           "I guess news travels fast," I mumbled. I didn't like that everyone was calling Connor a rogue. He's part of the pack now!  

          She grinned, putting the lollipop back in her mouth. "Don't worry about it. Everybody's just jealous that your mate's hot. I've heard it all over town." We said our goodbyes, and when she exited the house, I was almost disappointed. It would have been nice to have a real friend besides the guys. For some reason, girls were more intimidated of me than guys were. However Savannah didn't seem fazed at all.

          I took an hour long shower. It might seem weird, but I usually tend to get distracted in the hot water. It's soothing. Plus the fact that I had deep conditioned my hair, shaved, and put on some facial mixture that I bought a while ago. I grabbed a white fluffy towel and wrapped myself in it. I took a look around my cream and dusty rose color-schemed bedroom. 

          Picking out what I was going to wear was actually an easy task. I put on my favorite skinny black jeans, and a sparkly top. It was tight, but perfect for the party. I slipped on black wedged heels, and tied my hair into a braid my mom taught me. She had told me it looked sexy, with some strands falling free from the style. 

          By the time I was done, I heard the blasting of music downstairs. I guess the party started early. It will probably go on all night. I flicked the light off in my bedroom, and went downstairs to the first floor. 

          When I reached the bottom of the stairs, the party was already in full swing. People were dancing in the massive living room, standing on top of couches, tables, anything really. There were drinks being passed around, and people everywhere. 

          "Keek!" I heard Adrian call. He wrapped an arm around my shoulder, and started laughing uncontrollably. He was already drunk, obviously.

          "How are you already drunk?"

          He grinned. "A bunch of us pre-gamed. And I'm not drunk, Kiki! I still have to protect you, Alpha's orders," he slurred. Of course my dad would tell him that.

          "Actually, I think I can handle that job myself." My heart stopped at the velvet voice, and I turned around.

          Connor stood about three feet away from us, dressed in jeans and a flannel shirt. It was unbottoned, with a white T-shirt underneath. The sleeves of the flannel were rolled up, so I could see his tensed arm muscles. He looked so good, so hot. I don't think I've ever been so attracted to someone before. 

          I couldn't help myself. I wrapped my arms around his neck in a 'Hi, I sort of really missed you' hug. It was a bold move considering the fact that he's so guarded most of the time, but boy was it worth it. I let his scent invade me, making me the feel the most content I've ever felt in my life. Luckily, he didn't push me away. In fact, he wound his arms around my waist and rested his head in my hair. I could feel his breath at my neck, and I shivered. 

          "Hi," I breathed when I pulled away. He gave me a smile and let go of my waist. 

          "24 hours of freedom, bitches!" Somebody hollered in the background. 

          "So this is a wolf party," Connor shouted over the music. 

          I laughed. "It's fun!" He ran a hand through his hair, looking slightly worried. "Do you want a drink?" I added.  

          About six shots and three beers later, I couldn't find Connor. Everything was hazy, and I couldn't remember where I last saw him. It was well into the early morning now. Probably two o'clock. The music was blaring, making adrenaline pump through my veins. It was some Kid Cudi song, I don't know. But it sure was fun to dance to! I started to move around, getting closer to the living room. I knew I was dancing by myself, but I didn't care. I was having fun! 

          Two girls wearing miniskirts and tank tops were arguing animatedly, splashing their drinks on anyone who walked by.          

          "Are you crazy? Connor is so much hotter! The bad-boy rogue can be tamed..."

          "I'll always be an Adrian fan! How could you resist that smile?"

          They stopped talking as soon as I came near. Really, could you be any less obvious? And why were they trying to make my decisions for me? Why couldn't anyone see that Adrian and I were just friends. This isn't fucking 'Twilight!' 

              I felt arms snake around my waist, and my mood instantly lifted when I realized it was Connor. 

          "You were right, Kiara. Having fun is... well, fun!" I started to crack up, as Connor placed his hands on my hips. We started to move in sync, dancing together until Connor stopped to take a sip of his drink.  He looked over at the Two Week Twins; They were both kissing all over some guy, only stopping to giggle with each other before going at it again. I guess they were only having one guy for both of them this week.  

          "Someone told me that Adrian's going to try to steal you away from me," Connor said lowly in my ear. I looked up at him. His eyes were sleepy looking, but blazing at the same time. He took another swig of his drink, then set it down on a nearby table. 

          I giggled. "You're drunk." 

          He gave me a lazy smile. "You're hot." 

          My heart felt like it was beating out of my chest. His expression suddenly hardened, his eyes beginning to look guarded. No! 

          "What are you thinking?" I blurted, catching him by surprise. 

          "I shouldn't be doing this," he mumbled under his breath. I don't think I was supposed to hear it, but the alchohol was making him louder than he usually is. 

          "Doing what? Enjoying yourself? Connor, you deserve it." I reached for his hand, lacing our fingers together. Why isn't he letting himself have fun? 

          Chuckling, he brought his other hand up to my face, tracing my bottom lip with his thumb. I couldn't breathe. "You're cute when you pout."

          I think I might like Drunk Connor.  

          He moved his hand up to cup my face, and his eyes became half-lidded. He was inching closer and closer to me. 

          "I really wanna kiss you," he breathed. 

          He smelled like his usual cinamon scent, except it was swirled with alcohol. I was so tempted to reach up and press my lips against his. Did I really want to do this? Have my first kiss with my mate while he was drunk and might not even remember it in the morning? He brought his head down to meet mine, and all coherent thoughts washed away. We were so close, I could feel his heart beating wildly with mine. My eyes fluttered closed, waiting for the moment I've been dreaming about since I've met Connor. 

          Suddenly, we were ripped away.

          I opened my eyes to find Adrian glaring at Connor, his hand on my shoulder. "Kiara! The adults, they've come back!" I heard screams all around me. Why were they back so soon? They weren't supposed to come back until late this afternoon! 

          Everybody was running around, still drunk, trying to hide the evidence of the party. I whirled around, trying to help, when I faced my dad standing in the living room. He had an annoyed look on his face. I looked down at the floor; I felt like I was a kid receiving time-out again. The music was instantly shut off, and the house was dead silent. I even heard the tinkling of glasses being moved.  

          My dad spoke in an spine-chilling, calm voice. "Tomorrow, I want this house spotless. Every one of you involved is cleaning this mess. Party's over. Everybody get to bed." 

            For a minute, nobody moved. 

           "NOW!" All at once, people were shuffling about, trying to get upstairs as fast as they could. 

          He gave me a pointed look. "It's late. We'll talk about this tomorrow. Don't think I'm letting this go, Kiara." Damn. I was hoping I could sway him into thinking otherwise. 

          I softly padded up the stairs to the fourth floor. I had to see if Connor liked the party. I knocked gently on the wooden door. After about three minutes, there was still no answer. I leaned a little bit on the wood, and the door creaked open. 

           Stepping into the attic, I saw Connor fast asleep on the bed. He was laying on his stomach with one arm draped over his head. I almost laughed at the sight; his ankles were hanging off the edge of the bed. He was way to big for it. The light was still on, and I could hear his steady breathing throughout the room.

         I walked towards him, turning off the light on my way. I bent down to his level, and pressed my lips to his cheek. He groaned in his sleep, and I stifled a giggle.

         As I exited the room, I let the exhaustion overtake me. As soon as I reached my bedroom, I flopped onto the bed, not bothering to take off my clothes. My head hit the pillow and, for the first time in ages, I didn't dream about running away. 

______________________________

Ooooo... That party got BUSTED! Haha, I would hate to be in that situation. What do you think of Connor starting to come out of his shell? Do you like flirty Connor? I know I do...

Also, what do you think of Adrian? Will all the hype about him and Kiara cause trouble?

Who do YOU think is hotter? Adrian or Connor?

Please don't forget to Fan/Vote/Comment and enjoy!              

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

128K 6.2K 78
Hey, this is the second book to The Blue Eyed Wolf Series. Alpha Conan has declared war against The Grey Wolf pack if they don't give him his son in...
2.8M 139K 46
Grace has spent the past two years locked up and held prisoner by Kellan and his rogues. Now that she is finally free she wants nothing more than to...
30.9K 932 27
Holly is a young women who is desperate to find her mate, to find the man who she knew would protect her with his own life. With powerful Alpha blood...
263K 11.6K 29
Akira, the only daughter of the Alpha of the Day pack is caring, sweet yet vicious when needed. She hasn't thought on why she has yet found her mate...