Meri Cousin Behna โœ” (Ehmmbh S...

By _PerfectlySplendid_

*BEING EDITED CURRENTLY* Manvi is like a wrecking ball. You will miss her when she's gone. You'll hate her w... More

Cast & Characters (Aesthetics)
Prelude- Teen saal, Do mahine
1. I hate my behna
2) Meri Behna?: I miss her
3) Meri Behna? Aa gayi!
4) Meri Behna? Sunn nahi rahi
5) Meri Behna? Mastered in Masking
6) Meri Behna: Is a good actress
7) Meri Behna? Broke my heart
8) Meri Behna? Fixed my soul
9) Meri Behna? I hate that I love her
10. Meri Behna? I love that I can never hate her
11) Meri Behna? Cryptic
12) Meri Behna? Oblivious
13) Meri Behna? It was an accident
14) Meri Behna? So many Memories
16) Meri Behna? My Peace
17) Meri Behna? Aur uska best friend
18) Meri Behna? Aur uska ex-boyfriend
19) Meri Behna? Too close, yet far
20) Meri Behna? Too messed up
21) Meri Behna? It is happening
22) Meri Behna? It happened
REUNION โ™กโ™กโ™ก
23) Meri Behna? I miss her
24) Meri Behna? I hate her
Bonus (1) Virman Vs. Virika

15) Meri Behna? My Light

385 27 7
By _PerfectlySplendid_

15) Meri Behna? My light

Baking Tip for the day: Sometimes two different flavours gets a better taste

Mansi's POV

You know the feeling when you get when you see the plant you planted bear fruits and flowers, the feeling when you make something and it turns out to be the best thing, when you dream about something which keeps your heart warm.

That wholesome feeling.

That was exactly how I felt when Janvi opened her eyes and hugged me. Like she was in terrible pain, she mostly didn't even know where she was or what happened, and the first thing she wanted was me with her.

And I was there, smiling, holding her hand as Virat Pa and dad stood besides us. Janvi instantly wanted to speak about what happened that evening but I shut her saying that I didn't care what happened and didn't wanna know, because all I wanted was her to be safe and she was.

Then she acknowledged her father, my father and her family doctor, then instantly she asked if Manav was there and I don't know why I felt nicer to know that he was preoccupied with school to come even when he wanted to.

Then for twenty four hours we made a pact with her to make sure she doesn't feel like throwing up and to divert her mind Samar suggested we could tell her stories which was brilliant because we could get stories according to what we wanted to hear.

But the counter part was that Janvi nor I could question these stories.

And so with so many stories poured in, Janvi and I decided there were five stories which involved our mothers and out of these, our absolute favourite was the pendant story because we never realised that these pendants could open.

Can you believe it? We both are wearing something that literally opens, which means we could he wearing something which either has a message or some tiny object.

But, like our Badi Beeji said, only our mothers knew how to open it and when she said only, she meant it. Because our fathers only smiled and shrugged, so our mothers literally never told anyone how to open them and I don't remember anything being told to us.

Right now as Janvi lay asleep on my bed, I kept fidgeting with the stupid cylindrical pendant which literally couldn't open unless I broke it with a hammer.

'Kya mumma, yaar, aap dono ko bas mazze lene hai.' I said out loud to my dead mothers, as Janvi shuffled in her bed.

'You're just behind that pendant for two days now Mannu, jaane de.'

I gave my sister a quizzical look, 'Really? I thought something like this will intrigue you more than anyone. I mean you're the one who started this charade.'

She smiled, sitting back on the bed, 'When you have an open head wound to worry about, everything else feels short.'

We shared a chuckle as I helped her change the head dressing, of course the nurse helped me help her. And after Janvi was comfortable, we sent the nurse to the guest room, to freshen up and relax.

Dr. Manan had taken full control of Janvi's records and he had been completely monitoring her health, and often I could see how she was more of a daughter than a patient. Of course when he looked at me, he'd smile, and I'm thankful he didn't forget me. I mean sure I wasn't around Janvi for five years, but for eighteen years I was her personal bodyguard so yea, he did remember me.

With a family doctor, a nurse, an entire Chaudhary family, and Virat Vadhera cum Chaudhary, this house was finally feeling like home to me.

'But what if there's something important in this pendant?'

'Or,' Janvi said playing with hers, 'It is just nothing, and it's been a trick all along. You know my mother right.'

Mannu Massi was very capable of playing a practical joke but I just wanted to open and see what it was all about.

'I think I'm ready to eat with everyone.'

The pendant slipped from my hand as I turned towards my sister, 'What? Pagal hai kya!'

'Please dude, main bore ho gayi iss room ko dekke.'

'Thank you for insulting my room.'

She tsked, 'Come on, I didn't mean it that way. I just know my Paa will take me home in a couple of days, and before that I really wanted to sit with the family together.'

It was true.

Although Virat Pa did agree to let Janvi stay here, I knew he hated being here. He absolutely spoke to no one other than the Chaudhary family, and me, and he didn't dine with everyone, always either stayed here or in the guest room with the others.

He hadn't even gone to his room. The room which was assigned to Janvi but was of course actually belonging to Virat Pa and Maanvi massi. He didn't dare enter that room, well I didn't know how to make him go there because the more he felt homey here, the more he'd wanna sort the differences.

Meri Maanvi ke liye jo kadwahat hai.

That line just kept replaying in my head. What did he mean by that? Did the family hate my massi? Was that the reason he left?

What exactly happened at their deaths?

Janvi of course didn't know about this part, because if I tell her this, I'd have to tell her that Virat Pa was adamant to take her and that I got a panic attack.

She's already healing slow, I don't wanna bother with my worries which I'm sure would be her priority number one.

'Nahi, Janvi. You're resting today, completely. Maybe tomorrow.'

She groaned and I smiled at her, pinching her cheeks, and she sighed settling back on the bed. I slid underneath the sheets with her as she interlinked our arms together and we looked up at the ceiling.

'Mannu?'

'Hmmm'

It was like before, how we'd sleep together, always stick together and whenever we were together, we were home.

'I missed this.'

We snuggled, as I took a deep breath, 'I missed it more. I don't think you'd know.'

'I know.'

'Waise, we do kinda look similar now that we have your hair is chopped.'

She pouted, touching her short hair, 'I miss my hair, I look like Willy Wonka.'

Giggling, I looked at her, 'Dekh, mera hair colour fade ho raha hai. So, you know, let's get a makeover. I'll dye my hair green, because I'm a Slytherin and you dye your hair golden, because you're a Hufflepuff.'

'Right, make me a blonde now.'

'Oh come on, I'm the one with green hair. It'll be cool.'

'Maybe not completely.' She said, as one of the help entered the room and brought in our lunch, 'But maybe streaks.'

I got off the bed and placed the two plates with khichdi, as Janvi looked at the food with a sad smile, 'You don't have to eat this with me, Mansi.'

'Well, what are sisters for.'

The khichdi was very unappealing, and I was very close to throw it away and remain hungry, but Janvi ate it without complaints. She never ever complained about the medicines, the salines, injections or hospital type food. She never once cried that she wanted to drink anything cold, or try something she is allergic too, she never threw fits and always accepted her fate as is.

And I ate the tasteless food only because I loved how she approached life.

'You, love me right, because I love you!'

She sounded completely honest, and I smiled back at her, 'Nope, it's not going to work. We're not eating out with the family.'

'Damnit.'

_

Janvi was my sister.

My sister.

And more than a cousin, she was my best friend.

Like, literally, best friends.

She never in our lives, ever ignored me, used me, bitched about me, she never gave up on me, always supported my dreams, always stood by my side, always believed in me.

Then I met Ansh, and everything changed?

How?

Am I just not wanting to understand that there could be another side to it, or maybe there is no other side and it was a genuine mistake which Janvi did and she regrets it.

Either way, I don't think I should dig deeper because I've honestly forgiven her for whatever happened, and really don't wanna know. I wanted my sister safe, she is, and that's the end of the story.

It had been days since I had put on my chef hat and whipped something tasty, but apparently turns out that Janvi was the sole reason I even wanted to bake, so with her sick, the motivation was gone too.

Right now, I was looking at the oven, baking a cake which I had after a long time, tried. It was new recipe, it was half chocolate, half berry with the idea of vanilla cream on top.

Janvi loved chocolate and strawberries, something she wasn't allergic too and I loved seeing her smile.

'Something smells really nice.'

As I kept the cake on the stand, I acknowledged my father standing on the kitchen door, looking at me. He never ever intervened in my cooking before, actually he never intervened in my life too.

Until of course when I got the panic attack.

'I assume Janvi is sleeping?' He walked towards me, as I applied the cream on the cake.

'Yes, strong sedatives. Also Samar and Virat Pa is accompanying her, so in case she's up, he'll be there.'

Dad nodded and contemplated on what to say next as I decorated the cake with half sliced strawberries, 'How are you?'

'I am better. Thank you.'

He took a deep breath, 'You need rest too Mansi, I understand you're keeping up with your sister which is really great, but you have to rest.'

I shrugged, 'Okay'

Then on finding that he wasn't going to get this conversation to be easy, he retreated back, 'I really love you too, I hope you know that. You're as much as a daughter, as Janvi is. You know.' He said, as he stood on the door, ready to leave.

'I know dad.' I gave him a sad smile, 'But, this seems like you're convincing yourself, more than me.'

And that made him think and I could see how regretful he felt.

'Also, why did you placed Janvi in my room?'

I had been waiting to question this, 'Because who'd better care for her than you. Right.'

It wasn't a question, it was like a statement. Like no one else would take better care of her than me. 

However I saw how worried he was about me, how he wanted to actually talk to me but it was too late. 

He just can't walk in on me, try to sleaze in a casual conversation and expect me to forget everything and talk back. He has years worth of explanation to do of giving me a cold shoulder. Veer and Janvi may forgive him for being a bad dad, but I'm not as easy as they are.

'Thank goodness you're here.' I heard another familiar voice exclaim, 'And is that vanilla I smell?'

My worries vanished as I saw my Virat Pa sneak in, rubbing his hands in joy. Thanking the lord for not making the brothers clash into each other, for there'd only be awkward mess.

'This cake is for Janvi, Paa, not you.'

He tsked, 'Janvi is my daughter, so Janvi and I are one. Come on Mansi, I really think I deserve this cake.'

I chuckled, hitting his hand before he could eat, 'Right! You are meeting me after almost five years, and you expect me to give you my cake.'

'I called you every month for five years, which means that I should be getting...' He paused for calculation and even I thought about it, '35 cakes?'

'I don't think that math is right.'

'Accha, meri choti Maanvi, you know I deserve this cake. Yaar meri beti ne banaya hai, main kaise na khau?'

How is it that Virat Pa wasn't my actual father, yet he felt like one to me and same with Janvi and my dad. Doesn't it meant that these two really had a good relationship with each other because of which us kids have a good bonding with them?

This was my first proper interaction with my Virat Pa after Janvi's mishap, other times I encountered him in her room.

I immediately cut him the biggest piece and lay it on a plate as he graciously took it, and instead of wanting to eat it alone, he offered me to eat another piece with him.

And so, after years of absence from each other's lives, him and I sat in the kitchen counter and spoke for another hour about what we missed in each other's lives. He did tell me how boring his life was and took great pride when I said I worked in a nearby cafe.

My dad probably doesn't even know that I work in a cafe too.

Virat Pa reminded me so much of my Maanvi Massi, she had such an influence on him, but Janvi was right. He wasn't as happy as he was in those pictures, yet I liked how he still managed to love his two daughters even when he probably didn't love himself.

But even though I knew Virat Pa was seriously upset with everyone in the family, he still treated my dad with utter respect.

And respect will always be the highest form of love.

'I agreed to you Mansi.' He said, before leaving, 'I agreed and kept your sister here for quite some time now, and you have to agree about something for me now.'

My heart sank as I nodded, 'What do I have to do?'

He gave me a small smile, 'Do not protest when I'll take your sister away, okay.'

_

'What do I really wanna do? What kind of a question is that?'

'A good one, come on, what is it you wanna have in ten years.'

'Relocating to Mumbai, buying an apartment and living with you in it, and having my own bakery/cafe.'

'Wow, that's an awesome dream. You really do wanna be a baker, don't you.'

'Yes, I guess. Yes, I do. But you're going to be there with me right?'

'Always.'

'So what are you hiding?'

'What?'

Janvi rolled her eyes, keeping the plate aside, she really loved the cake which was just a pastry now after we ate almost everything.

'My Paa came here, he's entered the house after what, 15 years? And you're telling me that everything went smoothly.' She adjusted herself on the backrest, 'Come on, spill the tea.'

I smiled at how easily she could understand what's wrong, so I told her what Virat Pa had mentioned about my Mannu Massi, and how he thinks that everyone here hated her. Obviously I did leave the part where I got a panic attack which actually let Janvi be here.

'Bitterness?' She said, curiosity peeking out, 'What did he mean that everyone was bitter towards my mother?'

I sat alongside, gazing at a distant potrait of a painting, it was hand painting of what was supposed to be a scenery but it was just different colours splashed here and there.

That was my first ever painting with my Mannu Massi.

'Do you think everyone hated my mother since the start?'

I could sense how uncomfortable Janvi had become, the very thought that her mother was hated made her feel really sad.

'No, that can't be. We just saw the video of our fifth birthday, everyone were so happy. In fact Maanvi Massi was appreciated for throwing a really good party and baking the cake with me. They all looked happy.'

Out of the CDs which were finally retrieved, we had watched a handful without being caught and had witnessed our fifth birthday party celebrated with such immense happiness. Of course the charade was the same, I was constantly glued to my Mannu Massi and Janvi was always in my dad or my mother's arms. It was a cute video and made us laugh more than cry and we felt really wholesome.

Other than that, we also watched other videos, some random family function, some wedding clips and they all looked insanely happy. So nothing there showed that they hated their smallest daughter-in-law.

And I'm sure even if they might have, my mother must've always cleared the air. I mean they were real sisters, so obviously Jeevika would've always made her Mannu happy.

'Maybe something happened on that day.' I told her, calming her fears, 'Maybe something really stupid happened when or after they died. Something which was very minor.'

'You mean like a misunderstanding?'

'Could be.' I said, remembering that happy candid family in that huge picture, 'No one can fake smile that much Jaan, not even me. And out of all the stories we heard, not one mentioned anything bad about the sisters or anything. They just felt the pain of the loss of the original duo and nothing else.'

She nodded and I pressed her hand in comfort, 'Chill, we've gotten so far. It's just another step away and we'll get to know the reason for their deaths. We'll know what broke the brothers apart.'

Janvi faced me with a question, 'And then what Mansi? Then what?'

I was dumbfounded, 'What do you mean?'

'My Paa has not interacted with anyone here, he's not getting out of our room or guest room, he's not stepped into his own room. I don't think we can do a lot to get them together.'

She did have a point, I mean sixteen years worth of rigidity and cold war, how are we supposed to calm that down.

'You made this plan, what did you originally thought?'

She shuffled in her place, sitting straight, 'Talk to them and make them realise how stupid they were.'

I gave her a classic Mansi look, 'Really? I thought you're supposed to be the brighter one of us.'

'Hey.' She defensively spoke, 'Mean.'

'More like, truthful.'

She rolled her eyes now and I gave her a smug smile.

I really missed all this. There's no denying how much I wanted to hug her, be with her, and see my sister with me.

And, of course, she missed it too.

'I guess we'll have to apply the test to Paa too.' She said, as we readied to go off to sleep, I helped her with the pills, and helped her go to the washroom.

Until then, I gulped my pills, trying hard to not groan and opened the last drawer of the dresser. There was a 3D cube which rotated and emitted light when plugged in and it had pictures of us both.

Janvi had gifted it to me because I couldn't sleep in the dark and that way she would be my light whenever she's away. Right now, I felt the need to see whether it worked.

I put the cube from it's box, and plugged in but for obvious reasons, neither did the light emit out nor did the cube rotated.

Disappointed, I helped Janvi out and freshened up myself as we adjusted ourselves on the bed. Since it was already three days now, Janvi's wounds healed well and the nurse was given an early farewell. Of course Dr. Manan still stayed with us, keeping an eye on his dearest Janvi and everyone else just showered us both with so much attention.

Since my second panic attack, I sensed all of them so sweet to me. Genuinely caring and asking whether I was better, whether I had eaten, or slept or took my pills.

My to be doctor brother, was an extra cautious person who made sure I ate my meals and alongwith Janvi, engaged in playful banters with both me and dad.

Perks of being sick.

Now I know, why everyone were always with Janvi.

I'm not going to lie, I felt a little jealous, but the moment I thought about the meds and salines and syringes, I changed my mind.

'Hey' Janvi smiled, her goofy smile was so much like Virat Pa's, 'You still have the cube!'

I switched off the lights, and dimmed the lamp light to the minimum, because I always needed that minimum shade of light to sleep, 'Yea, but it doesn't work.'

'But do you need that now?'

Huh? Do I need that now?

Janvi was already drowsy from the meds and her eyes were drooping, yet she kept her eyes on me, and I smiled at her, 'Go off to sleep.'

Instantly she fell asleep, she couldn't fight the medicines and painkillers and I looked at the painting. After a long time, that painting looked beautiful.

Janvi was right, I didn't need that cube now, of course, because I had her now.

Switching off the lamp light, I bade goodnight to my mothers and slept soundly, knowing my light was just right besides me.

And after five fucking years, I slept peacefully.

_

A/N

Softer and better side of the sisters? Adorable or not?

Vote. Comment. Share.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

279K 17.1K 54
Reena was the daughter of the billionaire, the founder of Oberoi Cyber Security but the death of her parents shakens her mental health. No Psychtrist...
111K 4.3K 120
Ramayana. An Indian epic that has lived through the centuries and has only grown even more in the process. An epic that shows ideal characters, many...
349K 18.9K 63
Meera Raichand: Daughter of Annie and Arjun Raichand. She's sweet, caring and loving. When she loves someone she loves them fiercely. She wanted to s...
11K 1K 42
Who are you? . . Okay...toh kya hoga jab 2 indian girls BTS ke ghar me rehne aa jayengi? Kya wo koi planning karke aayi hai? Ya fir wo khud hi waha...