Loving You / Paul Lahote - [...

By apollosmeatballs

*COMPLETED*Ashley Cullen was just a baby when she and her birth parents were in a horrible car accident. Rosa... More

Prologue - [EDITED]
1 - [EDITED]
2 - [EDITED]
3 - [EDITED]
4 - [EDITED]
5 - [EDITED]
6 - [EDITED]
7 - [EDITED]
8 - [EDITED]
9 - [EDITED]
10 - [EDITED]
11 - [EDITED]
12 - [EDITED]
13 - [EDITED]
14 - [EDITED]
15 - [EDITED]
16 - [EDITED]
17 - [EDITED]
18 - [EDITED]
19 - [EDITED]
20 - [EDITED]
21 - [EDITED]
22 - [EDITED]
23 - [EDITED]
24 - [EDITED]
26 - [EDITED]
27 - [EDITED]
28 - [EDITED]
29 - [EDITED]
30 - [EDITED]
31 - [EDITED]
32 - [EDITED]
33 - [EDITED]
34 - [EDITED]
35 - [EDITED]
Epilogue - [EDITED]

25 - [EDITED]

3.9K 88 1
By apollosmeatballs

Another week passed. There was still no change in Ashley. She was connected to the machines and was sleeping. Everyone would take turns and go in there to spend time with her. To talk to her. They all liked to think she could hear what was said. 

She had also received her letters from the colleges she applied to. She got into Syracuse and Washington State. She got waitlisted for the college down in Texas. 

Rosalie and Emmett waited until all the letters came and opened them in the room with her. Of course, they'd rather open them with Ashley and celebrate it with her but they were trying to do the best out of the situation they were in. 

Bella had also been coming. She had been talking to Ashley too and telling her to wake up. Apologizing. She kept on making jokes that she wouldn't get married until she woke up. Sure, they were only jokes. No one was in the mood for a wedding. Not when Ashley was in that state.

 Along with Bella, her friends from school also who were also friends of Ashley came to visit. Jessica, Angela, Mike, Eric. Paul would stay away from them since he didn't know them properly nor did he desire to know them really. All he wanted was for Ashley to wake up. 

The only time he wouldn't stay away was when the pack visited. The Cullens would either leave to hunt or go away to give the pack some comfort. Then, Paul would be inside the room. 

The first time the pack came, it was Jared, Kim, Sam, and Emily. The second time, Leah, Seth, Embry, and Quil came. The last time, the whole pack, along with Jacob and Billy came. That was yesterday. 

Paul had also gotten kind of used to having Jasper and Alice near him. They were always there and their reasoning seemed genuine, even if they were natural enemies, he had grown to be okay with it. It didn't bother him as it did before. 

With the short amount of time he spent there, he could actually start to see beyond them being vampires and the people Ashley always so fondly talked about.

Just the other day they offered to show Paul Ashley's childhood photos. You know, it was the classic duty of the adults in the family, showing baby and childhood photos of the kid to their partner. Although all of them would have preferred Ashley to be there and cringe, it was still nice to see her happy, smiling, and healthy in photos. 

As they were almost done with the album Esme knocked on the door with a smile on her face. "We're waiting for you," she sweetly said looking at Jasper and Alice. 

Paul understood what she meant immediately. They tried to be discreet near him but he still got it. They were going feeding. 

"Alright, we'll be down in a minute," Alice said. Esme nodded and walked away. 

Alice and Jasper got up and Paul proceeded to give them back the album. "No, no, keep it," Alice said. "We'll put it back on later,"

Paul nodded. Before they walked about Jasper turned around. "Don't forget, think of happy memories, it helps," 

Paul watched them walk away and then he looked out of the window. The rest of the family was down there. As soon as Alice and Jasper joined them they sped away into the woods and soon disappeared into it. 

Paul sighed and looked down at a photo of Ashley. She was around eleven or twelve and dressed in a Harry Potter costume. She looked so happy in those clothes. Paul unintentionally smiled as he eyed the picture.

He then got up and walked out of the library. He decided on taking Jasper's advice and think of his happiest memories with Ashley. No lie, most of the things they've done were all happy memories for Paul. Anything involving Ashey instantly made him happy.

As he was walking in the house suddenly he was grabbed and pushed onto a wall. "What the fuck? You slept with her?" Edward roared as he pushed Paul against the wall. 

Paul immediately got angry. How the fuck did he know? Oh, yeah. Happy thoughts. He can read minds, or hear thoughts. Whatever. 

"Get off me, man!" Paul exclaimed. Instead, 

Edward grabbed his shirt even tighter. "You had sex with my niece?" he asked roughly. 

"I am warning you. Get. Your. Hands. Off. Me. Now." 

Edward didn't seem to be backing down and Paul took a deep breath. "Yes. Okay? But it's not like I forced her. She wanted it. I would never force her," he calmly said. 

Edward still looked angry and he looked like he might attack. Paul was not afraid of that, he could probably take him down. 

Then, Edward tilted his head and his face changed. It was like he was in shock. 

"What?" Paul asked. He didn't answer and let go of Paul. 

He looked at him. "We're not done talking about this," he hissed and sped away toward where Ashley was.

Paul followed him. He was standing at the doorway. He looked inside and saw that Ashley was awake. She was freaking awake. 

"Ashley!" he exclaimed and that took her attention. She looked scared, scratch that, terrified,  but as soon as she saw Paul her face softened. 

As Paul went inside Edward walked out. Paul didn't care. All he cared about was Ashley. 

He kneeled down next to the bed and took her hand into his. "Oh, baby, you're awake. I'm so sorry, I should have protected you, I'm so sorry. I'm so glad you're awake now," he started to say and kiss her hand. 

"Paul," Ashley managed to let out. Her throat was dry and it was hard to speak.

"Yeah, baby?" 

"Can you hold me?" her voice came out broken and there were tears in her eyes. 

Paul nodded. "Of course," he softly said. 

Ashley scooched a bit back and made room for him to lay next to her. Paul squeezed into the tight space and took her in his arms. He started kissing her hair and head softly as she snuggled between his shoulder and head. 

They stayed like that for about half an hour. Then Paul heard the footsteps of her family. "Babe, your family's back," he murmured to her ear. 

She jerked away in fear. Paul furrowed his brows. "What's wrong?" he asked.

"Paul, please don't let them in," she whispered. 

Paul wanted to as why. Didn't she want to see them? They were dying to see her. He was sure they didn't know she woke up and would be overjoyed. 

But her face said enough so he nodded and got up. He got out of the room and started waiting for them. 

As expected, Rosalie and Emmett appeared in the hall. "Step away," Rosalie said. 

Paul shook his head. "I'm sorry, I can't,"

"What the fuck you mean you can't?" Emmett exclaimed, taking a step and getting closer to Paul. 

He wasn't going to lie, he was a bit intimated by Emmett, probably because he was Ashley's father but it was her wish and he would do it no matter what.

Edward appeared behind them. "Guys, cmon. We need to talk first,"

Rosalie turned around in anger. "No, I want to see my daughter first," 

Edward looked at her annoyingly. "Rose!" he said loudly. "We. Need. To. Talk." 

Rosalie and Emmett shared a look then started to walk away. Edward looked at Paul. "You too wolf boy," he snickered. 

Paul glared at him but did as told anyway. They went into the living room where the whole family was there.

"I don't understand. Why can't I see my daughter? Why isn't he letting me in?" Rosalie exclaimed. 

"Because she asked him to," Edward replied, his arms crossed on his chest. 

Rosalie furrowed her brows. "What? Why?" she asked.

Edward looked at her and he looked sad. "When she woke up, I rushed to the room. And, upon seeing me, she was scared,"

"Scared?" Esme asked. 

Edward nodded. "Yeah, I heard what she thought. As soon as she saw me, she got reminded of Victoria," 

Carlisle sighed. "It must be a PTSD of some sort," he murmured. 

"Oh, no," Alice mumbled. 

"What will we do?" Emmett asked. 

"Wait. Until she's ready," Carlisle replied.

"Oh my god," Rosalie whispered and hugged her husband. 

Carlisle then turned to Paul. "It seems like you're the only person she seems comfortable being with. She shouldn't be alone,"

Paul nodded. He was asking him to be with Ashley. "Don't need to tell me twice," he said and turned around, walking back.

When he opened the door he saw Ashley getting startled. "Hey, it's just me," he softly said. 

Ashley smiled. He closed the door and sat next to her on the bed. "I'm gonna tell the pack you're awake, they've all been worried sick," he mumbled and took out his phone. 

There were several texts from the pack waiting on updates. He quickly sent Sam a text informing him. Sam would let the other know. Paul didn't want to spend too much time on his phone texting everyone when he could be with Ashley. 

He grabbed her hand again and looked at her. They were looking at each other. 

"I don't know what I'm supposed to say," Paul said with a faint chuckle. "But, Ashley, baby, I'm so sorry for what happened to you. I should have protected you. That bitch attacked you because you had my scent on you. I'm so sorry,"

Ashley squeezed his hand. "Is she...?" she let out. 

Paul nodded. " Yes, she's dead. Permanently dead. She can't hurt you again," 

She nodded and took a deep breath in relief. "That's good," she mumbled. 

"How long have I been... like this?" she asked again. 

"A little over a week," he replied. 

"Oh," she muttered. " Is... Is anyone else hurt? I was close to Emily's," 

Paul sighed. "Only Jake. It was a newborn. But he's better now. Everyone else is fine, they were all worried, that's all," 

He then turned around and pointed to a desk with some gifts on it. "People have been visiting. The pack, your friends from school. Bella. They brought gifts,"

"That's nice," she whispered and smiled. 

"Your family has been very worried too," he said. He didn't want to go there but it was her family and he knew she loved them. 

"I know," Ashley replied. But before they could talk Bella rushed into the room. 

"Oh, Ashley, you're awake! Thank god!" she exclaimed.

While Bella sat on the bed and lightly hugged Ashley, Paul got up and closed the door. He knew it wouldn't keep anything out in a house full of vampires but he had a hunch Ashley felt better that way. 

He watched them talk. "Uhm, I'm gonna go grab a drink or something? Do you want anything?" he asked. 

Bella shook her head. "No, thanks," she quickly said and turned back to Ashley. 

Paul got out of the room. He didn't want to leave Ashley but he figured she might have wanted some alone time with her friend. 

He walked to the kitchen and grabbed a glass of water. After he put it down and turned around he saw Carlisle. He was startled, he was not used to them appearing out of nowhere, not yet. 

"Sorry," Carlisle mumbled. "I was wondering if you could ask Ashley whether it'd be okay for me to go in and check her?" 

Paul shrugged. "Sure," he replied. " he's talking to Bella now, so, I'll ask when I go back in a few," 

Carlisle nodded and smiled. "Thank you, Paul,"

After that, Paul wandered around the house a little bit to give the girls some more private time before going back. 

"So, uhm, the doctor wants to check on you. Your vitals and all,"

"Only him?" Ashley asked. 

He nodded. Bella put her hand over hers. "Don't worry, we'll both be here," she said to Ashley. Paul nodded. 

"Okay," Ashley slowly said. 

About ten minutes later Carlisle knocked on the door softly and entered. He briefly smiled at Ashley and checked on the machines. 

It was awkward. Bella was sitting on the bed, next to Ashley while Paul was standing on the other side. No one was talking. 

"Looks good," Carlisle murmured. He then opened a drawer and took out some stuff. A needle and some liquid stuff. He put that into the IV Ashley was connected to with the needle. 

"I'll be back tomorrow morning to check," he said, still looking at the IV bag, probably not to stress Ashley and left. 

After he left Ashley started crying again. She felt horrible. She was treating her family horribly, but she couldn't help it. Every time she saw them she was automatically reminded of Victoria and Riley. She knew her family would never hurt her but it was her brain. 

Three more days passed. Paul stayed with Ashley for all of them. Bella was there most of the time too but she had to leave sometimes. Carlisle would come in once a day to check on her and give her medication. They would not talk. 

Since Paul would walk outside to get food, water, or anything, he would have to come face to face with her family. And yes, he might not have minded reading like the leech Edward, sorry, vampire Edward, but he could still see the sadness on their faces about the whole thing. Plus, he overheard Ashley's mom crying about the whole thing.

And he was conflicted. Sure, he was still not fond of vampires. But they were Ashley's family. And they have been kind to him, mostly, during the time he spent here while they all waited for her to wake up. 

So, Paul decided to talk to Ashley about the whole thing. Luckily, her family decided to go hunting that night, giving them privacy to talk freely. 

Since they were in the house and had better hearing, both Ashley and Paul knew that the family could hear whatever they were talking about. Plus, there was the whole mind-reading thing so even if they were not speaking up, there was someone who could hear what they were thinking. 

As soon as Paul was sure they were out of earshot he sat on the bed, grabbed Ashley's hands, and looked at her. "Babe, we need to talk,"

Her posture changed and her face got serious. "Is something wrong?"

 He shook his head. "Do you need to go?" 

"No, no. Baby, no. I won't leave you, I told you that. I'll be here as long as you want me to," Paul replied. That answer seemed to calm her down. "Look, I can't believe I'm about to say this, but your family... They are not like the other bloodsuckers. They're... erm, nice. And they would never hurt you,"

She sighed. "I know that," she murmured. " But I can't help it, you don't understand. All I can think of when I see them are the red eyes, those cold red eyes looking down at me. Not my family who I know loves me to death but just a... a monster. Like her, " she choked. 

Paul chewed on his bottom lip. His guilt hadn't faded away, not one bit. 

"I know... that you went through something terrible and I can't begin to understand how that must feel. But they're your family and I know it hurts them. I know it hurts you too but, but, maybe you can focus on something else to see through the red eyes. They don't even have red eyes..." 

He honestly didn't know what he was rambling about. He was an eighteen-year-old boy for god's sake, not a licensed psychologist. Not that any licensed psychologist could help with post-vampire attack trauma. 

"You, you do have a point," Ashley muttered. 

Paul looked up in confusion. He had? "Yeah?" 

She nodded. "They don't have red eyes, maybe if I focus on that, it'll help," she murmured. 

He moved his head slowly. "Sure, yeah. That could work,"

He gently squeezed her hand. "Look, no pressure. Alright? They know you are not in the best place right now, and they're respecting that, but it's not hard to imagine what they're going through. I know that they care about you as much as I do and... and you not wanting to see them... I know how that feels. Take as much as time you need but know that they would never do what that leech did to you and that I will never let anything bad happen to you ever again," 

After their fight, when Ashley told Paul to go and they didn't see or talk to each other for a while, that was probably one of the worst periods of his life. Not to mention when the Cullen's moved away for months and he had no way of reaching her. 

So yeah, he could relate to the vampires. They might have hated each other's kind but there was one thing they had in common. They all loved Ashley. 

They stayed silent for a while. Paul gave her some time to think about what they talked about. Once she seemed like she reached a decision he got up from the bed. 

"I know what will get your mood up," he said with a smirk. 

She looked at him with a curious grin. "What?" she asked. 

He walked to the desk and grabbed the laptop. "Guess who's favorite show's season finale dropped two days ago?"

She gasped and smiled. "Holy shit!"

He chuckled at her and sat back down next to her, opening the laptop. 

An hour later, Paul heard the vampires coming back. He didn't say anything to startle Ashley. They had finished watching the episode and were now watching some videos on YouTube. He played it cool and tried to focus on the thing they were watching.

But Ashley was clever. She had realized Paul's body stiffening up, plus she heard the muffled chatter coming outside. It was her parents. 

"Paul," she murmured. 

"Yeah?" he replied. 

She looked up at him. " Can you... Can you get my parents?" 

The wait until Paul left and then hearing footsteps to her room was excruciating. She loved her family and her parents. They were her parents, of course, she loved them. And she wanted to see them, from the moment she woke up. That was not a lie. 

But she was just scared. It was her brain reacting to seeing any vampire. Her eyes knew that she was seeing her family but it was as if her brain was automatically ruling every vampire as Victoria and as a threat. 

And she also knew that she needed to fight that fear. Her family had been with her for eighteen years, they never hurt her. They never harmed her. She had always felt safe with them. 

Even with their crazy driving, she never feared for her life. She needed to get back into that mindset. All the other vampires in the world might be a threat, but her family wasn't. 

She took a deep breath and her heart started beating faster as the footsteps got closer. She heard the doorknob turning and encouraged herself. This was her mom and dad. Her dramatic but full of love mom and goofy but overprotective dad. 

Her parents that would give their lives before letting anything happen to her.

Rosalie stepped into the room first. Emmett followed soon after. They carefully walked toward her bed and stood a bit away from it not to startle her. Ashley could feel their nervousness. She felt like crying, she felt horrible for making her parents feel that way. 

She slowly put away the blanket on the side of the bed. It was a gesture so that they could understand she was okay with them coming closer. Rosalie was holding hands with Emmett. She slowly let go of it and sat at the place Ashley cleaned up for her. 

They hadn't said a word yet, they weren't even looking at each other. Ashley knew her parents were trying not to push her and she was grateful for it. But it felt absurd to her. They were her parents. They were the ones who looked after her and made sure she grew up surrounded by love. 

She looked up to her mother. She looked like she was about to cry. That made her tear up too. She didn't like seeing her mother sad. 

"Mom," her voice croaked. 

Rosalie looked up and faintly smiled. "I'm sorry," Ashley continued, a sob escaping from her mouth. 

As a motherly instinct, Rosalie embraced her daughter immediately. Ashley didn't fight it. In fact, she loved it. This was her mom, the one who always stood by her side, who always supported her, always protected her from any harm, always loved her. 

She was safe. 

She eased into the hug, wrapping her hands around her mom's body and hugging her tight. And with that hug, suddenly, the nervousness and the fear of vampires had vanished. She was in her mother's arms, they would not hurt her. 

Both started crying. "Shh, it's okay, it's okay baby, you're alright," Rosalie was saying. " We love you, we love you so much," 

Ashley looked up at her mom. "I love you so much, Mom,"

Emmett was standing close by and Ashley grabbed his hand, pulling him to the hug as well. 

"I love you both so much," she sobbed. 

"We love you too," Emmett sobbed too. 

They stood like that for a while. Until all the tears were shed and everyone calmed down. 

 I'm sorry," Ashley mumbled once their hug ended. 

Rosalie furrowed her brows. "Why baby? Why are you apologizing?" 

Ashley pressed her lips together as her eyes drifted to her hands, being too ashamed to look her parents in the eye, and shrugged. "For... for, you know... Past few days," 

"Kiddo, we're the ones who are sorry. We couldn't protect you... It's our job to protect you and we failed. We apologize to you, not the other way around," Emmett said. 

Ashley shook her head. "No," she croaked. " It wasn't fair... You probably went through hell for that week and I can't imagine how you must have felt..." 

Rosalie slowly grabbed her hand. "We understand... at least we did once Carlisle explained. We are not mad. Honestly... It was better to know that you were awake and better rather than... rather than... you know," 

"Exactly... At least you were awake. That week was worse. Not knowing if you'd... well, we don't need to think about it. You're awake now and we're just grateful about it," Emmett added. 

Ashley sighed. "Okay..." she mumbled. 

Rosalie squeezed her hand slightly to make her look at her. " We love you so much... as long as you know that, we'll get past anything," 

Ashley nodded, tears forming in her eyes again. "Yes, yes, of course, I do,"

Rosalie faintly smiled. "Good, baby. That's enough," 

Emmett coughed. "Okay, how about I kick the mood up a bit? Would my favorite girls in the entire world like that?" 

Rosalie and Ashley shared a look and smile. "Sure," they replied at the same time. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

872K 22.9K 35
Ezra Geralds has lived in Forks, Washington almost all of his life. He lived his life in a steady routine. School, swim practice, work then home. He...
26K 746 17
𝒾'𝓋𝑒 𝒷𝑒𝑒𝓃 𝒷𝓇𝑜𝓀𝑒, 𝒷𝑒𝑒𝓃 𝒷𝓊𝓈𝓉, 𝒷𝑒𝑒𝓃 𝓈𝓃𝒶𝓇𝑒𝒹 𝓈𝑜 𝓁𝑜𝓋𝑒 𝓁𝑜𝓈𝓉 𝒶𝓃𝒹 𝓊𝓃𝒹𝑒𝓇𝓅𝓇𝑒𝓅𝒶𝓇𝑒𝒹, 𝒷𝒶𝒷𝓎 ...
Love Bites By ki

Fanfiction

80.5K 2.3K 20
Twilight x Reader ••• Your name is (Y/n) Swan. You just moved to Forks from Arizona, to live with your father, Charlie. On your first day back you de...
583K 13K 69
🚫 [ Warning: Slow Updates ] 🚫 Angelina Swan was forced to live with her uncle Charlie and Renee after her parents died. The relationship grew unwo...