Infatuation // Harry Styles

By juliaxwrites

in·fat·u·a·tion noun an intense but short-lived passion or admiration for someone or something. in which two... More

Intro.
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
BONUS CHAPTER
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Epilogue
Thank You.
"Captive" Posted!

Chapter 31

42.3K 1.6K 480
By juliaxwrites

chapter 31 ♡

        Brady Wilson, what on earth are you making me do?" I asked as he dragged me down the hallway, heading in the direction of the cafeteria. It was lunch time, after all.

        "Grace Walker, you'll just have to trust me."

        I sighed, allowing him to tug me through the doors. We stood against the wall and he peered over everyone, squinting as if he were looking for someone.

        And then it clicked that he was looking for Mike. Homecoming was two weeks ago and Brady hadn't done anything yet, though everyone knew he planned on it. I assumed he knew I'd oblige considering I wanted to get back at him just as much for hurting Ivette.

        "You gonna tell me the plan?" 

        Brady smirked. "How would you like a friendly chat with the man?"

        "Brady, I swear to God if you're asking me to seduce him-"

        "Ew, stop, Grace. That's disgusting." He shook his head and pretended to cringe. Then he spotted Mike coming out of the lunch line and grinned. He leaned down to me ear. "Go talk to him and lead him over where the bathrooms are."

        "How the-"

        "Just do it."

        Groaning, I stomped away and in Mike's direction. I knew Brady probably had worms or some kind of disgusting thing waiting for Mike, but I had no idea how to lure someone towards the bathroom. 

      Coming up with the best plan I could, I risked getting mashed potatoes on my shirt as I slammed into Mike. I heard him mutter profanities before a hand hauled me up, and then I was blinking quickly, rubbing my eye.

        "Grace, are you okay?"

        As much as I wanted to punch him, I nodded. "Yeah, but I think there's food in my eye and clearly on my shirt."

        He sighed. "Come on. I'll lead you to the bathroom."

        Surprised at how easily it worked, I had to hide a grin from creeping onto my lips. Peeling an eye open to watch where we were going, I stopped abruptly when I saw an "x" in red tape on the floor. Mike stopped too, and I tried to shrug it off but he frowned.

        Then he let out a bitter laugh. "Oh, I get it. You're playing me, right? Brady has some brilliant prank up his sleeve, huh?"

        "No," I said, avoiding eye contact even though he still saw right through me.

        Mike rolled his eyes. "Then there's just a on the ground for no reason, right?"

        I opened my mouth to speak, but Brady's voice cut me off. "No, there's an because I knew Grace would screw up and you would catch on."

        And before anyone could say anything, he pulled a string that was hardly visible off to the side and a bucket above us tipped over. I jumped back as the purple paint doused over Mike's body, splattering everywhere and it was obvious he was livid. But Brady seemed calm enough as he smirked, leaning against the door frame.

        "You little-"

        And then he stepped on the x in the midst of his fury and oatmeal rained from the ceiling. The entire cafeteria had heard the first eruption, and everyone fell silent. The only thing audible was Mike's heaving breaths and Brady's quiet snickers. But then he was charging towards Brady.

        "I'm gonna kill you!" he shouted.

        "Wow, that sounds like a vague threat," Brady remarked.

        He was close enough to wrap his hands around his throat when Harry intervened. "Hey, hey, calm down!" He had to push Mike back by the shoulders for him to stop trying to mangle Brady. Harry tossed a side-glare over at Brady who stood behind him, still looking totally confident. "Are you insane?"

        "Borderline," said Brady. "But I also knew you'd come to my rescue."

        Harry shook his head just as the principal walked in, heels clicking with an angry look on her face. She sighed, rubbing her forehead before turning to Brady. "You, in my office. Mike, go clean up and you meet me in there as well."

        Brady held his hands up as he backed out the door, following the principal towards the front building where her office was. Mike grunted, wiping the paint from his eyes before he stormed after them.

        I let out a low whistle just as chatter blossomed in the cafeteria once more. Harry walked over to me, glancing down at my shirt before an amused smile took over his face.

        "What?" I asked, then followed his gaze. I sighed. "Right, the mashed potatoes."

        "Might want to clean that up before you walk home and have dogs trying to molest you for your mashed potatoes."

        I gave him a look. "Could you have been any weirder about that?"

        He laughed. "I can try again."

        I shoved him in the shoulder, laughing before going in the bathroom to clean up my part in Brady's mess. And sadly, I knew it was far from over - it had only just begun.

***

        "Did you hear what your knight in shining armor did today?" I asked Ivette as she sat on the couch across from me and Harry in the library. She smirked at us and I knew it was because my legs were draped over his, but she was seriously overreacting.

        "About the paint spill and oatmeal? Yep, I did."

        "And how do you feel about it?"

        "Humored," she said, then sighed. "And maybe a little guilty. But why should I feel remorse? He's the lowest douche ever."

        Harry rubbed his forehead. "The sly twit knew I would be there to stop a fight, too. How does one that fails all his classes act so brilliantly?"

        Ivette laughed and I smiled, glancing back down at my book. All three of us had this study period together since semester exams were coming up next month. Mr. Pell allowed us to the library to study together.

        "Thanksgiving is next week," said Ivette. "And then Christmas break is right around the corner."

        "Yeah also the hell of my mother's wedding." I snorted, shaking my head. I hated even thinking about it, but it wasn't as dreadful as it used to be.

        Harry patted my knee. "Which is why I'll come to help you maintain sanity."

        I smiled and Ivette awed before saying, "Wait, they're already going to have it? Only three months ago they told you about it."

        Nodding, I shrugged. "Apparently it's been planned for quite some time. Secrets happen to be my mother's favorite thing."

        Harry's phone buzzed in his pocket and he glanced around before pulling it out. I watched as a frown settled over his face, then a sigh, and then he shoved his phone away once more. I made a mental note to ask him about it later.

        Ivette continued to ramble on about the break coming up and Christmas break afterwards. I zoned out while her and Harry conversed, reading the book in my hands instead. It was just getting to the good part when it was snatched out of my hands. I scoffed before Jeremy lifted my head and sat beneath me, letting my head then rest on his thigh.

        "And to what do we owe the pleasure?" I teased.

        Jeremy smirked. "Skipping class. Little bit bored. Saw you guys. Here I am."

        "Fascinating story," mocked Ivette.

        Jeremy said, "But I also came to tell you, Grace, that my dad is making me take you to a bridal shop so you can get a bridesmaid dress this weekend. I figured you had a boyfriend that would be a lot more willing than me, but I'll have to tag along because he's going to call. Some stupid shit about 'sibling bonding' or something."

        I laughed, rolling my eyes. "Fine, but you can't be this annoying. So basically, just don't be yourself, okay?"

        He rolled his eyes, mimicking me. "Ha-ha, you're hilarious. I'll be on my best behavior." And by the smirk he gave me when he got up, purposefully letting my head fall, I knew he said it with anything but honesty.

***

        On the drive home, Harry's phone rang and he answered it reluctantly. I tried not to eavesdrop, but he seemed to get more frustrated by the minute. I couldn't hear whoever it was on the other end, so I looked out the window until he finally hug up, dropping his phone rather angrily on the console.

        Glancing over at him, he was rubbing his face just as he pulled into my driveway. I unbuckled and asked, "Are you okay? Your phone has been going off nonstop all day."

        He shook his head and tried to smile. "I'm fine, Grace. I'll see you tomorrow, okay?" Even when he leaned over to console to place a kiss on my lips, I wasn't convinced.

        "Why won't you tell me?" I asked when he pulled away, hating myself for being so nosy.

        "Because you don't need to know everything, right?" he muttered, rubbing his temples. "I don't want to rush you out, but I really need to go."

        Eyebrows pulling together, I frowned and opened the car door. But I paused for a moment, not seeming to be able to let it go. "Do you need anything?"

        He sighed. "I need you to close the door, please."

        "Harry-"

        "Grace, I need go. Please close the door."

        Rolling my lips together, I did as he said and he wasted no time in backing out the driveway. Folding my arms across my chest, I walked towards the front door and entered. Noah was on the couch with Bill, Neil being absent, playing a violent video game and shouting at the screen. I sighed as I kicked off my shoes, then headed for the stairs.

        I didn't do much except study for a while, but thoughts of what was distressing Harry kept distracting me. I didn't like seeing him so flustered and... upset. I also didn't like being the one who upset him further.

        I called Jacob for a bit of a distraction, and he talked about how awesome Brady was for getting back at Mike for what he did to Ivette. I tried to stay intact with the conversation, but was losing a bit of my sanity just from the continuous thoughts of what was troubling Harry.

        Rain started to fall just as Mom announced dinner time. I walked downstairs and also tried to distract myself in her and Noah's conversation about school. She asked me about exams and such, but it was hard to stay interested. 

        "Are you okay?" asked Mom, actually looking concerned.

        I tried to smile. "Yeah, I just... Lost my appetite."

        She pursed her lips as Noah said he was done and going to take a shower. When we heard the bathroom door closed, she leaned over to me. "Grace, you can talk to me. I know I wasn't there before but... I'm trying to be now."

        Rubbing my forehead, I shook my head. "You can't just expect my trust again, you know. It's hard to earn back when you've broken it once."

        Mom sighed. "I know. But I also know when something is wrong. Call it motherly instincts but-"

        "No," I said firmly, suddenly angry. "You don't get to leave my life for three years and then use the 'motherly instinct' excuse for being nosy. That's not how it works."

        I stood from the table before she could argue, taking the steps two at a time before closing my bedroom door behind me. My phone was ringing, and Harry's name was blinking as the caller ID.

        "Hello?" I answered quickly.

        "Uh, hey..."

        I deflated. "This isn't Harry."

        "No, but my name starts with the same letter." I sighed and he said, "It's Heath. I know we got off on the wrong foot but-"

        "Why do you have Harry's phone? Is he okay?"

        "Kind of why I'm calling you."

***

        Heath answered the door after four hard knocks. The yelling was now audible from upstairs and I looked frantically over at Heath. He was scratching the back of his neck, looking a bit uncomfortable but also a bit nervous.

        "He and Aria have been at it ever since he brought her home."

        "Which was...?"

        Heath blew air from his cheeks. "Two hours ago, give or take."

        Finding it hard to believe people could scream like that for two hours, I was also confused on why I was summoned to the rescue. "Why did you call me?"

        Heath groaned. "Jesus Christ, because your the only one he actually listens to. Just tell him to calm down and let it go. Fiona is going to be home any minute and I don't want her to see them like this again."

        "Again?"

        "Just come on."

        He led me up the stairs and we passed Harry's room where I remembered finding out about all of this - Heath, Fiona, Aria. His parents and how they were gone. It wasn't until later that I found out how they were gone. I cringed thinking about it. And then we were in front of another room, a study of some sort.

        Heath stepped aside and pushed opened the door quietly. I looked in to see Harry dragging his hands through his hair and a red-headed girl wearing very little clothing. She was in the midst of shouting about not needing him when she caught sight of me.

        "Who the hell is she?" the girl - Aria, I presumed - spat.

        Harry glared at Heath, then his eyes met mine and I stepped back instinctively. I've never seen him look so angry in my entire time of knowing him. He always looked distant, never outraged.

        "Why is she here, Heath?" he grumbled under his breath.

        "Because if Fiona comes home to find you two at it, don't want to be the reason you get punished! I called her because she's going to talk some sense into you while I take Aria out of the room and possibly sedate her if she doesn't shut up," Heath snapped. 

        Aria rolled her eyes, letting out a bitter laugh. "You usually start everything and now you want to play peacemaker?"

        Heath grabbed her arm and she reluctantly followed him out the room. He shut the door behind us and I twisted my hands together, not sure what to say. He was angry. I've never seen Harry angry. I didn't even know what was going on, for God's sake.

        Harry leaned his palms on the desk to the left of the room, his jaw clenched. "You shouldn't be here, Grace."

        "Well, Heath called and said you were going ballistic, so..."

        Unexpectedly, he grabbed the flower vase off the desk and threw it against the wall. I shrieked, not prepared for his outburst as he snatched a drawer out of place, tossing that as well. He was shouting things about being tired of being the one to save the day all the time. Shouting that he was sick of being used.

        I let him take out his anger, knowing how he felt in a weird way, yet still flinched every time the wood broke apart from impact. When he reached for the last drawer, however, I stepped forward and placed my hand on his, trying to look him in the eye but he avoided my gaze.

        "Harry," I said quietly. "Just talk to me."

        He eyes were watery but he dragged his hand down his face, turning away from me. He was still angry, but his tone had lowered. "Do you know why I was so frustrated today, Grace? Because Aria called me nonstop, needing me to pick her up from some bloody stranger's house because she was miles away and couldn't walk. She had no money for a bus ticket after spending it all on alcohol, and then the man didn't even pay her after he..." Harry sucked in a breath, raking his fingers through his hair again.

        Standing in front of a book shelf filled with random souvenirs and few books, he yanked a snow globe off and let it shatter on the floor. "She lets people take advantage of her and then she doesn't even care! She says it's for the money and when she doesn't get paid, she still doesn't care." A random baseball trophy was thrown after the snow globe. "I'm tired of her treating herself like that. Believe it or not, I actually give a damn about her. She was the replacement sister when the other one left me, and she accuses me of not caring."

        He grabbed the side of the bookshelf and slung it down, the sound of glass shattering and books scattering. I grabbed his shoulder and made it to where he was facing me. He wasn't crying, but he looked like he could have been.

        And then he did, biting his bottom lip to hold back to waterworks and yet one by one, tears ran down his cheeks. His slid to the floor and I dropped with him, sitting in front of him. He sucked in breaths between gritted teeth, running his hands over his face and through his hair, doing his best not to look at me. 

        As he cried I realized I hated this. Seeing him in pain, knowing that Aria couldn't care less about it. I used to see a blank face when I looked at Harry, but all those emotions were fleeing from him now. He was crying, and I was his only comfort. 

        So I vowed to always be his anchor, since he had vowed to be mine.

        "Hey, it's okay," I said softly as I pulled him into my chest, running my fingers through his soft hair. He clutched the back of my shirt, shaking his head.

        "I hate myself," he murmured into my shoulder. "Every. Day. I hate myself."

        I hushed him, tried to coo him, held him tighter, and eventually we ended up just sitting on the floor, holding the other. I didn't leave him and he didn't let go of me. I knew his rant wasn't over, so I promised to stay until he was ready for me to go.

        He never told me to.

-

-

A/N: Long chapter to make up for the wait! So a little more of Harry's emotions are gonna come out the next chapter oohhh. Also a bit more of Grace's, so who knows what's going to happen? Honestly, I have a bad habit of not planning, so I guess we'll all be surprised. Kidding, I have a basis of the next chapter, at least. Anyways, love you all! (: xx 

FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER : @write2bleed

AND ON INSTAGRAM : @writetobleed

*VOTE. COMMENT. SHARE.*

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.7K 416 42
|| in which a broken boy takes interest in a broken girl and they realize that neither of them require fixing when they fall in love with each other'...
1.8K 130 31
LANGUAGE USED: ENGLISH Storm Lyn was dazzled by the word "Infatuation" that's why she doesn't know the genuine and perfect meaning of Love Because in...
418K 18.5K 47
UNS: infatuation an intense but short-lived passion or admiration for someone or something.
127K 5.2K 66
➽Just short love stories...❤ ⇝❤️. ⇝🖤. ⇝♥️. ⇝💙. ⇝🩷. ⇝🤍. ➽💛 Going on. [Ignore grammatical mistakes. I will improve my writing gradually.]