The Dangerous Trail

By SampaBagchi

This is the story of Suman an NCB(Narcotics Control Bureau) IO and Shravan as IPS(Indian Police Service) cadr... More

Mistaken Identity
Perceptions
Revelations & Learnings
Seeing her in Action
Bonds undefined
Gory alleyways
Intimate encounters
Sorry always
Heartbeats
Unwanted Guests
Warm embrace
Long way ahead
Volcano
Lost in Dunes
Realization
Clearing Skies
Equations
Revealed
Timeless Memoirs
Footprints
Darkness
Red
Time
Bonds
Celebration
Note for my lovely readers
Kiss
Discovery
Bloodline
Soul connection
Forever
One
Trap
Bait
Dream
Search
Clue
Escape
Note for readers
Deep in the Woods
Final Lap
Breathing
Healing
Coffee
Thanks to my Readers
Vows
Note for my Readers
Accolades
Epilogue

Eyes and ears on the ground

423 21 2
By SampaBagchi

The team had settled down in Bangalore although the office had still some work ongoing which would get completed in the upcoming weeks. They had an early morning briefing where the teams would update on the progress.

Minutes from today's briefing as circulated to the Operation Sangam team:

Companies identified with post box code do not exist which indicates these are front companies which might have been used for hawala transactions. There is no trace of the directors or anything about the companies. There is one company called XYZ imports whose one registered owner was traced but did not reveal much information. This target A had put up an advertisement in one of the local dailies about a Tours & Travels for arranging trips to Dubai, Istanbul and MiddleEast. Although the target A was not questioned on this tours & travels but needs to be trailed as there is an uncanny co-incidence. The Tours &Travels could be a front for carrying out illegal operations.

The communications team has roped in support from the cyber cell and they are looking at social media groups which have had lot of activity when these ads were put up in the newspaper. They are a whole lot of them so they would need time to scan through each to figure out which ones will be the target group to embed an asset. They were looking at some popular colleges in Mumbai & Bangalore to cultivate an asset who could lead them to the closed group network and their communications. They would need funding to cultivate the drug habit of the asset to get the information they need.

From the human trail there is target B who is the dead truck driver who was probably a link to the trade. There is his bio-data which has all the information and interestingly belongs to a small village in Karwar(coast of Karnataka) which has off late noticed a lot of spurt in illegal activities.

The financial team were trying their sources in other departments to get their contacts in Dubai to find out the transaction details of SR , our main target's transaction details in banks.

Suman had pointed out that if this truck driver was travelling in this route frequently then they could look at some of the red light areas that fall on this route because there is a high chance that he might frequent one of these brothels and probably have someone specific , just in case and it would be easy for them to find more details of his operations. Shravan was more familiar with the route and had assets who would provide updates to him so he decided to take Suman and introduce him to some of his informers so they could use them to get more information. Suvan started out in Shravan's car to meet the ears and eyes of Shravan. Shravan noticed that Suman was a little upset so on the way so he asked her "what it is that is bothering you ". Suman's voice wavered a little when she mentioned that although she knew that these were a part of the profession and the only way to get information but she was not comfortable about using a couple of young kids of colleges to cultivate them as assets by funding their drug habit. Shravan felt the deep agony in her voice and he was helpless as this is something a part of their job. He placed his hand on hers and just rubbed his fingers over her cold ones and assured her to be brave for a greater cause.Maybe one day they can help such people when they do not have any pressures of the system to use not so very ethical ways of doing things. Suman flashed her beautiful smile and Shravan was lost again and Suman had to jump up on her seat to hold the wheel of the car before they hit a vegetable cart on the way.

Suvan had driven for more than 2 hrs to reach the outskirts of the city. It was a bright sunny morning when they started , a little windy which had kept the temperatures in check although it was warm afternoon when they drove on to the Puganur-Mulbagal road which led towards the Andhra border. Shravan had offered Suman lot of insights on the Maoists belt as he suspected that if the truck driver was part of the chain then he must be using this route to enter Andhra after coming from Karwar into Bangalore. They had checked on the truck that NCB had captured some time back with the same truck driver and traced it to be associated with a truck company in Karwar. Based on the hunch and assumption they were hoping Target B was still part of the chain and probably the transporter mainly on the Karwar-Bangalore-Andhra-Odisha borders which is a Maoist belt and from there probably he had entered Maharashtra or maybe directly he might have taken the route from Karwar via the western ghats to Maharashtra. Shravan was moving ahead with the first option and he was hoping his informants will be able to help him. On the national highway they stopped a little distance away from a seemingly busy dhaba having small little houses behind it. Shravan explained to Suman that these were the first brothels on this road and since this was a transport route , they generally have lot of information. 

After some time a girl who seemed in her teens walked towards their car. Suman noticed that she was very cute looking and had an innocence around her despite her profession. She was looking at Suman with curiosity when Shravan said "She and I work together so its ok to share everything with both of us". Hearing that she laughed loudly and said in her local dialect "Kya handsome babu , am I not appealing enough, you never come to my room although I give you so much crucial information..is it because of this beautiful lady that you have fallen for". Shravan was a little shocked and embarrassed as to how she spoke the truth unwittingly, but Suman chose to look the other way. They had handed over the photo of the truck driver to the girl named Saira. Shravan had told Suman how she was cultivated as his informer when she had made a daring attempt by managing to give the brothel owner a slip and passed on a plot information to police. Since that day Shravan had made Saira his informer. She was a small girl who was trafficked and sold by her own parents in the border areas of India-Bangladesh and then dumped into the flesh trade. Shravan wanted to free her someday and make her lead an independent and dignified life. Suman was amazed at his conviction and ashamed that the man who she had called a Casanova was thinking so much about one girl who probably no one else would bother about. Saira's actual name was Pinky but now her customers call her Saira. She had initially refused to get into this trade but they had left her hungry for few days and then she had succumbed to it. Suman had stepped out of the car and had given Saira a tight hug and Saira with tears in her eyes had said "No Madam, I am used to all this now , this is my family now and they take care of me also . So, don't feel bad about me . I will do anything to help you all out after all I can also say what they call errr....bharat mata ki sewa(service to motherland)". Shravan too had become emotional looking at his love and Saira and the bond today they formed.

They had turned back to the city after a brisk halt at the CCD outlet where their conversations had flowed simple and easy. Shravan had got to know how Suman had struggled in her initial days when she was judged always in a sparsely women populated domain. Shravan had also told Suman, stories of the tribal villages and how their livelihoods were being impacted and how the Maoists were stoking that dissatisfaction. Even being in the right side of the law they had to sometimes kill teenage children, women who had taken up the gun just to protect sometimes a corrupt politician, but he loved his job and would still try to do his bit to save such innocent lives. They were almost within the city limits when they stopped about a kilometre from an approaching tollgate. As they waited in the car a lanky tall guy with a skull cap approached them. Suman was on the verge of taking out her gun from the belt when the guy walked to the driver's window side and wished Shravan "Aslam walekum". Shravan greeted him back and introduced Suman to him as Mushtaq mentioning that he was one of his informers and he would help both in this case as well. They handed him over a photo of the truck driver and asked him to provide any information that he gets. Mushtaq mentioned that he had seen him around here but not sure which route he goes but he will try to seek out info. Shravan had found this cleaner in the toll plaza who had managed to pass them once some critical information he had overheard and then few more information of few more attacks and finally he had become his official informer. There were several others but Mushtaq interacts with most of them and gathers information and updates Shravan. Although Shravan had moved to different location as part of his job both Saira and Mushtaq provided their contacts in those locations whom Shravan used for collating information. Shravan's stint in Greyhounds and in the border areas of the state had honed his asset cultivation skills which Suman thought she needed to learn to sharpen herself on.

It was late evening when Suvan were on their way back and they had their stomachs rumbling and Shravan did a little detour to take Suman to one of the most authentic restaurants serving Mangalorean cuisine. Shravan loved fish so his mouth watered thinking of the delicacies they served. As soon as Suvan had settled down on one of the corner seats just under the natural shade of palm trees he had enthusiastically described Suman the delicacies which were staple of Manglorean food like the Mackerel masala or the simple fish curry with coconut masala called the Meen Gassi but soon saw that Suman did not sound interested.He then realized and said "Suman I am extremely sorry I did not realize, that you are not fond of fish. I should have checked before bringing you in here. I generally come here whenever I am in this area as I am fond of fish so I am sorry about that". Suman laughed and said "Its fine Shravan, I am taken by your love for fish but I can manage". Finally, Shravan had ordered neer dosa and the wonderfully flavoured kori gassi (manglorean chicken curry). Suman had enjoyed the food along with Shravan's funny conversations about his college life and IPS training days. They had both finished food come out of the place and Suman noticed a shop next to the restaurant selling hot jalebis. Her mouth watered looking at the orange crisp jalebis being picked up from the hot oil in a large ladle and dipped in the sticky sugar syrup and when Shravan caught up with her and followed her vision, he smiled noticing what she was looking at. Suman turned towards him and noticing that he was all smiles was about to ask him to join her for a jalebi when Shravan turned on his heels and started walking back to the car. Suman held his hand and said " I want jalebis and you are joining me and don't even dare say a no because I ate what you like , your mackerel fish".Shravan replied back " You did not eat , you nibbled on one small piece and by the way you do not have to put so many conditions, you can just say please, can you come with me and I would come". Suman with mock anger "Please, Shravan can you come for jalebis". Both walked to the jalebi shop and Shravan noticed how Suman had not left his hand as she dragged him to the shop although she knew he would have followed. His heart made a flip flop again at the gesture. Suman finally had a fill of her crispy golden jalebis and when they both turned to head back Shravan noticed a little syrup with a little broken piece of jalebi stuck to bottom of her lips. Shravan stopped Suman and extended his hand and with his thumb brushed her lips to remove the syrup laced piece of jalebi and then shocking Suman, Shravan lifted his thumb and stuck out his tongue to swipe it clean. It seemed to Suman as if it was most natural thing for him to do but she had seen his eyes and they had spoken of desire, a desire for her and for a moment she had lost herself in them and the world had not existed for both of them. Coming back from the trip they were silent, but their hearts were thrumming hard with feelings untold.

That night Suman had been awake quite late into the night as she thought about the events that had happened throughout the day. Although she was yet to warm up to Mushtaq but her heart had constricted hearing Saira's plight, but she was pleased to hear that Shravan was also thinking on those lines. Then there was Shravan who had gradually and steadily made a special place in her heart. She contemplated if it was too early and too fast to let her heart gallop to Shravan but she also seemed to have no control over that anymore. She was loving the attention, care, the easy-going conversations, the small fleeting touches, the looks and her heart wanted to soak them up completely, but her brain kept on giving those red herrings warning her. Her father and mother had also fallen in love at first sight and they were happy with each other. It was not as if they were going to get married, maybe yes some years later, maybe no , they had time to know each other more and they had time to decide whether they were meant for each other. Although the thought of not being compatible or breaking her bubble did seem to make her uncomfortable but for now, she thought she would enjoy these moments till they last. As sleep overwhelmed her the only thought was that of Shravan and she went to sleep with a smile on her face.

The team continued their work and the office was also now looking better with most of the setup complete. They now also had a cafeteria which was much smaller than Chennai office but gave a beautiful view of a nearby small lake. It was really heart warming to see a lot of people who would walk or jog around the lake in the early mornings and Suman being the first at work would always have the privilege of having some quite time observing the walkers and joggers around. It had been more than a couple of weeks since they had left those photos with Shravan's informers, but they were yet to get some inputs from them. Suman was starting to think if they should pursue some other tracks. The same afternoon as they were about to go for lunch when Suman's phone rang and she looked at the number and realized it was Saira. She informed Suman that she was unable to reach Shravan so she called Suman. She has found some important info that about a few kilometres further down on the highway there is a small motel where some girls work and one of them is Manju and this truck driver was her permanent customer. Suman was excited with this information and she thought"finally some headway with the investigation". She had to share this news with Shravan and with this thought she rushed to him but did not find Shravan at his seat.She walked out to the front side of the office to look for Shravan thinking that he must be puffing away with Sash. As she walked out the scene in front of her left her stunned and breathless . A lady was hugging Shravan close with her body almost glued to his and Shravan also seemed to have done the same as his back was facing Suman. The lady said " I was so worried about u baby !!! What happened?If you want I can get you off this dangerous case". Then she lent forward and gave a peck and stepped back and said "You know I miss you and love you right".She looked towards Suman and said "Hi Officer , r u looking for someone". Suman just knew one thing that moment that she could not break down, not here, not in front of this audience and she pointed towards Shravan unable to formulate words as at the same moment Shravan turned around in shock to see Suman whose facial muscles twitched hard and her fingers were digging into her palms .Shravan knew she had seen them and drawn her conclusions and she was trying hard not to break but Shravan knew his Suman well that she was breaking , badly breaking inside. Shravan walked towards Suman in a bid to explain when Aneesh joined in saying "This is Suman Tiwary . Shravan, Suman , me all are part of the same team. Suman, this is Devika Singh, SSP posted in the same place as Shravan was earlier. Myself , Shravan and Devika are from the same IPS batch". Suman gave a tight smile and a small handshake and stepped back when Aneesh said "So Devika , your boyfriend had a little skirmish but look he is fine, we all have taken care of him for you". Devika smiled and said " Yes, I see that. Thanks so much for that". Shravan stood their not knowing how to react although his entire focus remained on Suman who had hardly said a word and then she had looked at him with disdain, hurt, loss, pain, betrayal, all emotions but not love which he had been used to seeing in her eyes all these days and Shravan felt like it would be nice if the earth opened now and swallowed him. Suman walked this time to Shravan and said " Your informer had called and provided some inputs. Once you are done with your personal meeting , please let me know. I will let you know the specifics, but we do not have much time. You can try and finish your lunch as quickly as possible so we can start in half an hour". Shravan gave a stiff nod as he watched a shaking frame of Suman walk out of the building. Sometime later when three of them stood at the terrace sipping hot cups of strong coffee Shravan could not help but glance occasionally towards the park where he saw Suman sitting in a faraway corner , face buried in her palms and in one instance Shravan knew that she was crying and he was crying too , inside as the black coffee without sugar was not bitter enough to override his bleeding heart.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.2K 104 11
#1 in Mafia Romance 🀌🏻 "An India Mafia Love and Revenge Story." A girl with a big secret buried inside. A secret that can bring a big doom. A boy w...
37.3K 3.3K 30
"If you love somebody, let them go, for if they return, they were always yours. If they don't, they never were." β™‘ "I saw this girl at the age of 13...
159K 12.8K 40
#1 police out of 17.7k Stories #9 lovelife out of 11.6K stories #2 crimefiction out of 3.97k stories #20 policeofficer out of 1.57K stories #5 romant...
247K 17.9K 34
8 different character ,4 different love story connected to each other's. 1st couple A guy who is landlord of many lands workaholic fell in love with...