400 Days After Fina

By JellOfAllTrades

It took 30 days for Jellane to fall in love and have her life turned around. 400 days after the death of Fin... More

400 Days After Fina
Day 400
Day 401
Day 402
Day 403
Day 404
Day 405
Day 420
Day 422
Day 423
Day 426
Day 427
Day 430
Day 434
Day 435
Day 449
Day 450
Day 451
Day 454
Day 468
Day 472
Day 473
Day 474
Day 475
Day 479
Day 482
Day 483
Day 484
Day 492
Day 493
Day 494
Day 495
Day 496
Day 501
Day 760
From the Author
Bonus: Jellane's Letter #1

Day 481

2.2K 165 27
By JellOfAllTrades

400 Days After Fina by JellOfAllTrades
Chapter 25

Angel and I bid our goodbye to the exhausted-looking Mrs. Romulo and made our way to my car parked on the other side of the road. We had a long day in the hospital, taking care of the injured Mr. Romulo, and assisting the couple wherever we can.

"Jell?" Angel tugged on my shirt before I opened the car door.

"Bakit?"

"Lakad tayo?"

"San papunta?"

"Kahit saan." She said shyly, avoiding my gaze.

Since it's only just five in the afternoon, we have the rest of the night to ourselves before we return to Manila. I was thinking of getting some sleep since it's a long drive back but I guess a short walk by the seaside wouldn't hurt.

I pocketed my keys and gave Angel a smile. "Tara?"

We walked side by side towards the seawall and made our way to the docks.

"Anong favorite color mo?" Angel asked.

"Black. Ikaw?"

"Red." She replied, looking out towards the sea. "Favorite place?"

I thought of the seaside playground and the roadside somewhere in Antipolo that Jaime and I found after I returned to Manila last year. I couldn't decide which one I liked best. The joy I had when I was with Fina in the playground or the silence and insignificance I felt in Antipolo. "Bakit mo tinatanong?"

She shrugged her shoulders and looked at me. "Gusto lang kita makilala pa. Bawal ba?"

"Hindi naman."

There was a pause as we reached the docks and made our way to the Letter C monument. I haven't been here since the day that Fina got sick and I rushed her to the hospital. Halfway through the dock, I stopped because I could almost picture the dark pool of blood on the concrete floor near Pong Pagong and I don't know if I'm ready to go back.

Angel looked at me curiously. "Anong problema?"

I looked at the monument, now just a few meters away. "May dugo pa kaya dun?"

She gave me a sad smile, realizing why I stopped. "Matagal nang wala yun. Hindi ka pa ba ulit bumabalik dito?"

I shook my head and she reached for my hand.

"Wag kang mag-alala, kasama mo ako."

She took a step towards Pong Pagong and carefully tugged my hand. She gave me a reassuring smile and I followed after her, oblivious to the looks we're getting from the other townsfolk.

When we got to the monument, I cautiously looked at the left side where Fina and I first met last year. It was the same spot where she collapsed to my arms and as Angel said, there were no marks of the bloody incident from last year.

For a moment, I was briefly horrified by the thought of Fina losing all her remaining marks in the world but calmed down after thinking that while we, her friends and family live, she'll live with us.

Angel squeezed my hand lightly and gave me a smile. "Okay ka lang?"

"Yes."

There was some sort of deja vu feeling as I stood there with Angel by my side, looking at the setting sun and her holding my hand. The soft crashing of the waves, the squawks of the sea birds, and the faint laughter of the few people around Pong Pagong could be the perfect backdrop to a romantic movie.

Can I really give this girl a chance?

"Nagugutom ako," Angel said after the sun disappeared from the western mountains. "Kain tayo?"

"Okay,"

She led me back to the entrance of the port, asking me about my favorites and telling hers whenever I would ask. It was a conversation that she eagerly led as her hand was entwined with mine. I didn't even bother to voice my rejection, she seemed too happy to be with me like this.

Truth be told, I kind of like it too.

We passed by the wet market and the main street, continuing on towards St. Peter's church. Before I can ask if she's taking me to church, we turned left and passed the St. Peter's School until we stopped in front of a small, cheap-looking, yellow and red themed restaurant.

Jollibea was painted in large red letters in front of the place.

"Nakakain ka na ba dito?" Angel asked as we went in and surveyed the menu painted on the yellow wall.

"Dun sa isang location nila," I muttered, my heart aching at the thought of how Fina and I ate something that wasn't good for her health.

Angel just nodded and I reread the whole menu again, failing to see the chicken burger that Fina so proudly introduced to me a year ago.

"Anong order mo?" Angel asked after almost a full minute of us standing in front of the counter.

I turned to look at the teenager manning the counter. "Ate, wala na kayong chicken burger?"

"Ay, wala na po. Di na kami nagbebenta nun."

I stared at the cashier, my heart shattering into tiny pieces. "Kahit sa kabilang branch?"

"Ilang buwan na po kaming walang chicken burger sa menu."

"Ayaw mo ng cheeseburger?" Angel suggested after I didn't respond and I turned to look at her, fighting back the tears that were forming at the edge of my eyes. She quickly realized I'm not okay and made me sit on the farthest table, away from the prying eyes of the public. She sat beside me as I wiped away my tears. "Bakit ka umiiyak?"

I chuckled at the stupidity of my tears. "Nilibre ko si Fina dati ng chicken burger. Sabi niya bawal siya kumain nun pero gusto niya kasi yung lasa."

Angel rubbed my back as I calmed down. "Gusto mo bang sa iba na lang tayo kumain?"

I shook my head. "Di ba gutom ka na? Okay lang. Order ka na ng food mo."

"Ikaw?"

I thought about it for a moment before I pulled out my wallet and gave her money. "Fries lang."

"Sure ka?"

"Yeah."

"Okay." Angel stood up and went to the cashier to order.

I took a deep breath and thought of how pathetic I have become. The contented look on Fina's beautiful face after she bit on her chicken burger was one of my first good memories of her. If it weren't for my lack of appetite, I would have returned to Jollibea to try the chicken burger again. Now that it's out of their menu, I'll never be able to recreate that surprising pleasure I had after realizing its deliciousness.

Angel returned with two bottles of soft drinks and gave me a reassuring smile. "Eto, inom ka."

I stared at the bottle of Pop Cola, slightly amused at how this is the first time in maybe a decade since I've seen one. It's like looking at a time capsule because I thought the company that manufactured the drink was bought by the Coca-Cola Company some time ago and has since discontinued it. Apparently, it's still being produced, albeit under the radar.

"Salamat," I muttered after taking a sip of the soda. The carbonated sweetness was the first drink I've had in hours and it was a little overwhelming at first.

"Gusto mo bang pagusapan?"

"Ang alin?"

"Si Fina?"

I looked at the weary smile of Fina's best friend and slowly shook my head. Other than the fact that I'm unsure of what to tell her, I feel like it's a bad idea too.

"Okay," Angel mumbled, disappointed.

I looked away, thinking of how odd it is for me to be back in Calauag more times this year than I've been in a decade.

"Anong iniisip mo?" Angel asked.

"Si Fina,"

Angel looked sad at my answer so I thought of something else to talk about.

"Anong pangalan ng ex mo?" I asked and then sipped on my soda.

Angel's eyes widened at the unexpectedness of my question. "Bakit mo naman natanong?"

"Just curious,"

She debated about it for a bit before answering. "Kiko."

"That's an ugly name," I muttered and she raised an eyebrow at me.

"Palibahasa maganda pangalan mo."

I chuckled at her irked remark. "Thank you for the compliment."

"Saan pala nakuha pangalan mo?"

"Secret," I replied, but the truth is, I never bothered to ask Mamita for the origin of my name. I just thought it's unique and left it at that.

"Anong secret-secret ka jan! Ano ka, kinder?"

"You should ask my grandmother next time you see her. Siya nagpangalan sa akin eh."

Angel pouted but surrendered anyway. The teenage cashier from earlier arrived with a plate of fries for me and a cheeseburger for Angel.

I picked up a fry and dipped it in the pinkish sauce that came with the plate. When I realized the sauce was a mix of banana ketchup and mayonnaise, I pushed the sauce away from me.

"Ayaw mo?" Angel asked.

I shook my head. "I don't like banana ketchup."

"Arte," Angel breathed and I frowned at her.

"Maarte talaga? Di ba pwedeng preference ko lang?"

"Bakit defensive ka?"

"Ayokong sinasabihan ng maarte."

I watched as Angel took a bite of her cheeseburger and then she offered it to me when she caught me looking. "Gusto mo?"

I shook my head, bothered by how much she reminds me of Fina eating her chicken burger. I picked off my fries one by one, quite unsatisfied by it.

"Kwento ka naman tungkol kay Kiko?" I asked as Angel is now halfway through her burger.

"Pwede bang wag na natin siya pagusapan?"

"Bakit naman?"

"Nandidiri ako pag naaalala kong pinatulan ko siya."

I frowned, not expecting her answer. "Eh bakit nga ba pinatulan mo?"

"Mabait kasi saka masipag." Angel wiped away the ketchup smudged at the side of her lips. "Second year high school lang kami nun. Ewan ko ba, palagi rin kasi kami inaasar na dalawa kaya sinagot ko."

"You said he's your first love?"

"Oo, pero di rin kami nagtagal kasi ang immature niya. Sobrang seloso. Ultimo pagsama ko kay Fina sa seawall inaakusahan na niya akong naghahanap ng iba."

"Buti nakipagbreak ka kaagad?"

"Si Fina nagsabi sa akin na hindi dapat ako pumapayag sa pagtrato sa akin ni Kiko. Parang wala kasing tiwala sa akin si Kiko."

"Normal naman magselos, pero kung sobra, ekis na agad."

"May naging selosa ka na bang ex?"

I nodded. "Merong isa. Pero tinakasan ko kaagad pagkatapos ko matikman."

Angel frowned at what I said. "Ilan pala ex mo?"

I tried to count it in my head but lost track because of the numerous one night stands I had. "Honestly, di ko na alam. I don't keep track of the number."

Angel looked conflicted by my answer. She seems to be debating whether or not to ask for more details.

I pushed the plate of half-eaten fries towards her as I feel nauseous. "Sayo na lang. Ayoko na."

She picked up a fry. "Di mo gusto?"

I shook my head and she proceeded to stuff several fries on her mouth, savoring the greasy food. I finished my bottle of Pop Cola and Angel took it as a hint that I wanted to go. In less than two minutes, she finished the remainder of her food before taking her time to finish her drink.

I kept my mouth shut and focused on making the little food I just consumed stay where it's supposed to stay.

"Okay ka lang?" Angel asked after a few minutes passed in silence.

"Uwi na tayo?"

"Okay,"

We stood up and I immediately felt unbearably queasy. I rushed to the darkened street outside and crossed the road to a secluded area to vomit. It was the first time I puked in public and it felt like my guts wanted to jump out of my body.

Angel rubbed my back before rushing to buy me a bottle of water. I downed that thing like a traveler who just got out of the desert after a month. When I calmed down, Angel took me the front of the church where we sat on the better lit sidewalk.

"Okay ka lang?" She checked my temperature but other than the nauseous feeling, I don't generally feel sick.

"Yeah,"

"Wala ka namang lagnat, bakit nasuka ka?"

"Nasusuka talaga ako minsan."

"Bakit?"

"Hindi ko alam."

Angel looked at me before nodding and standing up. "Teka lang, tatawag lang akong tricycle para makauwi ka na."

There weren't many tricycles passing by the area so it took a few minutes before Angel could get one. She was so worried for me that she insisted on accompanying me.

When the tricycle stopped in front of the Folloso ancestral house, I thanked Angel and got out, thinking that she'll go home after seeing me off. Instead, she also got out of the tricycle and escorted me to the door as if I'm a disabled fool.

"There's no need for this," I said in a low voice after knocking on the locked door. "Salamat sa paghatid pero okay na ako dito."

"Babatiin ko lang si Mrs. Folloso, eh." Angel defended. "Andito naman siya di ba?"

Before I can shoo her away, aunt Arlene opened the door, obviously surprised that I'm not alone. "Oh, may kasama ka pala. Pasok kayo."

"Good evening po!" Angel greeted cheerfully.

"Si Mamita?" I asked my aunt, giving Angel an annoyed look.

"Nasa kitchen."

I motioned for Angel to follow after me and we went to the kitchen to find my grandmother stirring a pot on the stove that ate Ellen had just dropped potatoes in.

"Good evening po!" Angel enthusiastically said, earning an amused smile from Mamita when she saw us.

"Hija, anong mayroon at napadaan ka?"

Angel was so comfortable with Mamita that when she reached for Mamita's hand, my grandmother had automatically reached for her head to bless her.

"Mangangamusta lang po."

Mamita raised a questioning eyebrow at me. "Naghapunan na ba kayo?"

"Kakakain lang namin."

"Nag-Jollibea po kami bago pumunta dito." Angel added, her smile unwavering.

For some reason, I was reminded of how Mamita spoke highly of Angel when we were hiring for the school. Watching them interact now just made me curious about how Angel earned my grandmother's rare approval.

"Tara sa lamesa," Mamita grabbed onto Angel's arm and they wobbled to the dining table so that Mamita can sit.

For some reason, I felt like an outsider to Mamita and Angel. I turn to look at ate Ellen who was chopping vegetables at the counter.

"Ate, madalas ba si Angel dito?" I asked in a low voice so that we won't be overheard.

"Pag may Bible study si lola mo kasama palagi si Angel."

"Oh," I nodded, remembering the first time I met Angel.

I grabbed a glass and poured myself some water before getting a couple more glasses and a box of orange juice to serve to Mamita and Angel.

"Dito ka na maghapunan," Mamita said to Angel as I placed the juice in front of them.

"Hindi na po," Angel tried to decline, giving us an embarrassed look.

I took a seat in front of them so that I can see them better.

"I insist," Mamita said, almost like a command. "Madami ka pang utang na kwento sa akin."

Angel laughed nervously, giving me a distressed look. Mamita saw her expression and turned to me to give me a fascinated smile.

"Kumusta ang buhay Maynila?" Mamita asked Angel and I realized that Angel had unknowingly given my grandmother a hint that there's something going on between us.

"Okay naman po, tinulungan ako ni Jell makahanap ng trabaho."

Mamita smiled as if her assumption was just confirmed. I tried to keep a neutral face despite starting to panic at my overly perceptive grandmother's amusement. She had just accepted my sexuality a week ago and here's Angel, the first girl she has seen me with, not doing a good job at hiding her attraction for me.

"Palagi ba kayong magkasama?" Mamita asked.

"Paminsan-minsan lang po. Masyado pong busy sa trabaho yang apo niyo." Angel replied, taking a sip of the orange juice.

"I see," Mamita nodded with a smile.

"Oo nga po pala," Angel started. "Sabi po ni Jellane kayo daw po nagpangalan sa kanya?"

"Oo, bakit?"

"San niyo po nakuha yung pangalan niya?"

Mamita turned to give me a delighted smile. "Hindi mo ba alam?"

"No," I replied. "I never bothered to ask."

"I was planning to name you Mary or Marie pero nung pinanganak ka, your eyes looked really intelligent." Mamita recounted. "You looked angelic and you looked around the room as if you recognized every one of us."

"Pano naging Jellane yung Mary?" I frowned.

Mamita waved me off. "Your mother wanted to name you Angel and while it was fitting, your father objected kasi may ex siyang Angelica ang pangalan."

My eyes widened at the thought that Angel and I almost had the same name.

"I suggested Jell Anne but you made a face like you didn't like the name so we changed it until you smiled at Jellane."

"Ngumiti siya?" Angel repeated.

Mamita nodded. "Syempre hindi namin alam kung naiintindihan niya kami noon pero akala namin it was a sign kaya pinangalanan namin siyang Jellane."

Angel smiled widely at the end of the story and I'm unsure about what to feel about the origin of my name.

"Kaya natutuwa akong makita kayong dalawa na magkaibigan." Mamita added with a teasing tone directed at me. "Angel and Jellane. Two sides of the same name."

============

A/N:

This chapter is dedicated to the reader who noticed the "missing" chapter 20. Di ko agad napansin na nailagay kong chapter 21 yung Day 472 when  it was supposed to be 20. Pero na-correct ko naman na yung numbering. The story isn't affected kasi yung chapter number lang naman yung mali.

Anyway, thanks for reading! Leave a like and comment your thoughts below!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

7.3M 200K 41
Rogue Saavedra, the arrogant city's young billionaire, becomes stranded on an unknown island. There he meets an illiterate jungle woman, Jane, who is...
4.2K 211 30
❝Hindi naman porket naka-glasses ay matalino na!❞ - Alora Camren. Isa si Alora sa mga taong napagkakamalang matalino sa lahat ng subject sa klase ju...
171K 3.1K 38
This is the continuation of "She's the One". Maraming salamat sa nagbasa ng Book 1. ^_^
413K 5.5K 53
Dream or Love? Playing relationship is difficult. You or Him? Paano isang umaga gigising ka na lang nasa loob kana ng bilanggoan? All accusations are...