Becca's Moments

Von lazy_writr

Trust - the firm belief in the reliability, truth, or ability of someone or something. Due to her past traum... Mehr

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter TwentyOne
Chapter TwentyTwo
Chapter TwentyThree
Chapter TwentyFour
Chapter TwentyFive
Chapter TwentySix
Chapter TwentySeven
Chapter TwentyEight
Chapter Thirty
Chapter ThirtyOne
Chapter ThirtyTwo
Chapter ThirtyThree Part 1
Chapter ThirtyThree Part 2
Chapter ThirtyFour
Chapter ThirtyFive
Chapter ThirtySix
Chapter ThirtySeven
Chapter ThirtyEight
Chapter ThirtyNine
Chapter Forty
Chapter FortyOne
Chapter FortyTwo
Chapter FortyThree
Chapter FourtyFour
Chapter FortyFive
Chapter FortySix
Chapter FortySeven
Chapter FortyEight
Chapter FortyNine
Chapter Fifty (Part one)
Chapter Fifty (Part two)

Chapter TwentyNine

13K 153 55
Von lazy_writr

Becca

Two weeks flew by, and a lot changed. The nightmares had stopped, and my nights of sleep were peaceful again. All the telltale blemishes on my skin vanished, and I'd healed mentally, too. Not that I didn't get apprehensive from time to time, but deep in my heart, I knew Leon would never hurt me again.

My return to work was uneventful. The long shifts drained me quicker than normal, but it was nice to see my colleagues again. I missed Stacey; she lived in Manchester permanently now, but we caught up on the phone whenever we could.

Chris returned from God knows where, but he was hardly questioned by the boys, who all welcomed him with open arms. He didn't look any different, but there was a hardness in his eyes that was easy to miss if you didn't know him well enough. Grace hadn't forgiven him just yet, but he was grafting for her every day. I reckon she would crack soon enough—Chris was too charming for his own good.

Uncle Clayton, Claycia and Diamond were still around. The project with Nan's house was coming along nicely, but it was a slow process, so there was no telling how much longer they would stick around.

Everything was back to normal ... sort of. I just needed to overcome this lust for Kayden. We hadn't had sex. When he left me in his room that day, he returned two hours later, and I'd fallen asleep. He hasn't tried again since.

It was obvious why he did what he did, and although I should be pissed at him, I didn't have the energy to hold a grudge. He made me feel good, even if it was for underhanded reasons. Sadly, it didn't stop me from wanting his dick.

"Bitch, I'm talking to you!" I looked at Brooklyn, who was gaping at me over her laptop screen, her glasses perched on her thin nose. "You zone out a lot these days."

"That's what happens when you're boring." She shoved me with her foot, and I laughed. Brooklyn and I were working on our sociology coursework in her room. Once again, I'd fallen behind and Brooks offered to work with me to catch me up to speed. At the rate I was going, I'd fail. But I couldn't face Dad if that happened. Plus, Kayden encouraged me to get the extra work in while I still had the chance. If it were up to me, I'd be in bed bingeing a show, but I'd had enough time to relax and lament my life. "What did you say, anyway?"

"Section three, the crime and deviance question. What did you put?"

I glanced at my laptop and scanned my answers. "I mentioned the lack of confidence or trust in the police's ability and fear of retribution from the offender. What about you?"

She rubbed her chin. "I basically spoke about a victim's unwillingness to go through the ordeal of giving evidence and reliving the experience. Then I used domestic abuse or sexual assault as an example."

Her words hit a bit too close to home. It didn't cross my mind to report anything I'd been through with Leon, mainly because I was just as guilty as him. I'd started the battle and lost the war. He had a strong case against me, no matter what he'd done. I cleared my throat and shut the laptop.

"Breaktime," I muttered.

Brooklyn nodded, but continued tapping on her laptop, a determined look on her face.

"What are you doing?" I asked, crawling closer to rest against the headboard.

"Checking Charles' relationship status." I watched as she clicked on Charles' Facebook profile. Then she smiled when she saw the words 'In a relationship'. "Damn right," she said.

I chuckled. "Since when?"

"Yesterday. He took me for a meal in Central and asked me."

"That's so cute," I cooed. Brooklyn and Charles made a nice couple. Besides getting on well, they complemented each other and worked through their issues like mature adults. Plus, their sex was amazing, according to Brooklyn, which helped in a relationship, I guess?

"Speaking of guys, what's been going on with you and Kayden?" she asked, giving me her full attention now.

I shrugged and rested my head on her shoulder. "We're just chilling. Nothing new."

"You two have been spending a lot of time together."

"We've just become close."

Brooks hummed. "Do you like him?"

"Hm. Yeah."

She jolted dramatically, knocking my head off her shoulder. "You didn't deny it this time?!"

"No matter what I say, you guys seem to think I do, so what's the point?"

"Bitch, if you like him, then what're you doing?"

I watched her blankly. "I have to do something?"

"Have you let Kayden know?"

I flopped back on the pillow instead, well away from Brooklyn's vibrating energy. "He already knows."

Brooklyn screeched. "This is big! So have you two...?" She made obscene gestures with her fingers, and I laughed.

"Nah." Which annoyed the hell out of me, considering. When I first met Kayden, he was the one practically begging to sleep with me. And now the tables had turned. I never would've seen it coming. "We've done other stuff."

Her eyes bugged. "Like what?" Before I could answer, she leaned closer. "Oh my God, has he licked you out?"

The image of Kayden's head between my legs, licking my centre which was covered by the lingerie that he forced me to wear as part of our bet, quickly flashed through my mind. I swallowed hard at the memory.

"No," I eventually answered.

"Fingering?"

"Basically."

Brooklyn squealed and hugged me as if I'd just told her I was engaged. Still, it made me laugh at how excited she was for me. Of all my friends, Brooklyn was the most angered by Leon's cheating—no wonder she rooted for Kayden so hard.

"How long's this been going on for?"

I shrugged. "Few months?"

"I can't believe you didn't say anything."

"My bad. Forgot to broadcast it in school when it first happened."

She rolled her eyes. "You know what I mean. We all saw it coming, anyway. No point hiding it."

"Hm, fair enough." I shut my eyes, succumbing to the tiredness I'd been feeling all day.

The weight on the mattress shifted as Brooklyn straddled me. I opened my eyes to see her beaming down at me. "You know what this means, right?"

"Do I?" I asked, coiling back. Her wide smile bordered on creepy.

"Kayden's your fuck buddy."

"We haven't had sex–"

"But eventually you will. Y'know how many girls would want to be in your position?"

I frowned. Having Kayden as a friend with benefits might seem cool now, but with my growing feelings for him, it could only end badly. I've told him so often that I didn't want to be with him, but that was only to protect my peace. But what if Kayden found someone new? I'd lose him as a friend and confidant. He was the only person who could handle me emotionally and physically. Did I really want to throw that away?

Plus, how long could we keep up this 'friends' act when everything we did was anything but? I never intended to jump into another relationship so soon, but maybe being with Kayden made enough sense that I didn't have to think about it that way. Nothing would change, right? We'd still be the same. Just the title would change.

But why did that scare me?

"You're heavy," I said to her. Brooklyn laughed and climbed off me. I grabbed my phone from my pocket.

"I'm going Christmas shopping next week," she announced, opening her laptop once more. "You coming?"

"It's October," I muttered. I tapped out a quick message to Kayden.

—We need to talk. Call me

"Yeah, but this is when the deals start."

"For Halloween," I retorted.

She huffed. "You coming or not?"

"I'll let you know."

My phone buzzed.

—Busy rn, I can come thru later?

My heart sped up at the thought of seeing him again.

—That's fine, see u soon

I arrived home an hour later to find the house practically empty. I kicked off my trainers, dumped my laptop bag by the stairs, hung my coat up, and then went to check the living room. All electronics and lights were off. I travelled to the kitchen—Dad's domain and uncle Clayton's favourite drinking spot—to see the space spotless. I approached the fridge where Dad had taped a note.

Gone to see Ms Lurline
Food's in the oven
Dad xx

I smiled at the brief message. Dad really was a man of few words. It was nice that he's taken the family to see Nan's last remaining friend. She lived past Watford, so I imagine they wouldn't be back for a while. I wondered if he roped Andre and Kieran into going as well, but there was no sign of them in the house either.

After freshening up and changing into my nightwear, I headed back downstairs, warmed up the curry goat Dad left, poured myself a glass of apple juice, and relaxed in the living room to enjoy my meal. Although the nightmares of Leon had practically vanished, I still had moments of unease whenever I was alone. My house was safe, with security measures set in place by Dad since he was an all-around handyman, so there really was nothing to worry about.

Even so...

Silence could sometimes be so loud.

I upped the volume on the TV and found a decent show to watch, deciding to focus on what was right in front of me instead of complete fabrication.

Leon wasn't here. He won't get me.

But who's to say for sure?

Once I finished my meal, I washed my plate, switched everything off, and sprinted upstairs. Funny how ghosts and apparitions weren't the cause of my fright, but someone I once loved and trusted to take care of me.

I shut my door, switched my TV on and jumped into bed, flinging the covers over me. I huddled beneath the sheets, trying to keep the ridiculous thoughts at bay, but failing miserably.

What I wouldn't give to have Claycia and Diamond in my room watching Simpsons, or have uncle Clayton burst in unannounced to lecture me on something I already knew. Hell, I'd welcome Kieran here just to have a distraction.

I rubbed my hand over the fading gash on my arm, reliving the horror of being trapped in a room with Leon. He had free rein to do whatever he wanted to me, and he used that to his advantage. Multiple times.

Squeezing my eyes closed, I took deep breaths to regulate my heartbeat and calm myself down.

Leon wasn't here. He won't get me.

I have my own protector. There was no way I could ever get hurt again.

I drifted to sleep with a smile.

A recurring buzzing sound woke me. I checked my phone through bleary eyes. Kayden was calling. I cleared my throat and answered. "Hello?"

"I'm outside."

I hung up and dragged myself out of bed. I pushed my feet into my fluffy slippers and trudged downstairs. The house was dark and chilly when I opened the front door. Kayden leaned against the wall wearing a full Nike tracksuit, his eyes partly shielded by his cap. I stepped aside to let him in and shut the door.

Kayden glanced around. He was unused to a quiet house as much as I was.

"Where is everyone?" he asked.

"Gone to see family." I rubbed the sleep from my eyes and headed for the stairs. "You coming?"

Kayden slipped off his trainers and followed me to my room. My TV had gone on standby, so I switched it back on and turned the dimmer switch, brightening the room slightly. I yawned and slipped back into bed as Kayden shut the door.

"Didn't mean to wake you."

I waved a hand dismissively. "It's cool."

Kayden took a seat at the end of my bed, hands shoved in his pockets. He appeared subdued and intense. Something was clearly wrong, but I decided not to ask. Plus, I was happy to just have company.

"What do we need to talk about?" he asked, his hooded eyes on me. It was the wrong time, but he looked extremely attractive right now.

I watched him and apprehension settled into my bones. It was stupid of me to demand a conversation when I didn't even know what to say. I swallowed hard and looked at the ceiling as if my answers were above me.

"So ... I like you."

My confession was met with silence, and I squeezed my eyes shut in embarrassment. What the hell was that?!

"Forget it," I quickly said, covering my eyes now. "I don't know what I'm saying."

My mattress shifted and I smelled Kayden's cologne as he moved closer. I uncovered my eyes to see him removing his cap and smiling down at me.

"Nah, continue," he muttered, his dimple appearing now. He threw his hat down and laid beside me. Suddenly, I felt extremely nervous.

I turned away from him. "Obviously, I like you..."

"Yeah..." he pressed.

My eyes snapped back to him. "What do you mean yeah?"

"You're telling me something I already know. What's your point?"

I swatted him, feeling even more humiliated. This wasn't how confessions were supposed to go! He was supposed to be dumbstruck and nervous.

But then again, this was Kayden.

I tucked my chin beneath the covers as he watched me, a smug look on his face. "I'm saying we should do something about it."

"What do you mean?"

"We can't keep pretending to be friends when we're not."

He chuckled. "I'm not pretending, darling."

The pet name made me shudder. Kayden was so effortlessly attractive, it was a miracle I was able to withstand him for so long. I recalled him on top of me the other day, his hands caressing me while he whispered teasing words in my ear.

"Listen to how wet you are. You want me that badly?"

"Rebecca," he said. I faced him again, praying that a blush didn't show on my cheeks and expose my thoughts. "What brought this on?"

I shrugged. "Just been thinking about it. I don't even know what to call us. It's like we're in limbo."

"Whose fault is that?"

I rolled my eyes. "I just didn't want to rush into anything." He opened his mouth to retaliate, and I held my finger up to silence him. "Before you say anything, I know I'm a hypocrite."

Kayden's brows rose. He seemed surprised to hear me admit that. "So, what you tryna say?"

I exhaled deeply and faced the ceiling again. Expressing myself was always a challenge, but I had to be upfront because I would expect the same from him. "I've been thinking about what I want from you, and there isn't a straight answer. On one hand, I like our friendship; I can trust you with anything and I know you have my back. On the other hand, I can't imagine being with anyone else like this in a romantic sense."

Kayden gave me his full attention; understanding softening his gaze.

"Maybe I'm overthinking it, but I don't want things to get complicated. I've never liked the idea of moving from one relationship to the next. That's why I always shut things down. But we've done more than friends should."

Kayden's fingers brushed my bangs from my face, trailing down to run his thumb along my bottom lip. "Because we're more than friends," he whispered.

Hearing that confirmation spoken with utmost certainty made me tense. I didn't have a response.

"I've never seen you speechless," Kayden teased with a chuckle. He pressed his lips to my temple, and I shut my eyes with a sigh, enjoying his closeness again. "Is it the title that scares you?" I nodded and he stroked my stomach. "Then don't think of it like that. We can be together and continue as we are."

I opened my eyes to look at him. It was a sound solution, but scepticism still gnawed at me. "And when someone asks who you are to me?"

"Say I'm your person," he answered, nuzzling my neck. "Or partner."

"Partner sounds serious."

Kayden laughed, his low timbre vibrating in my ear. "Could be a partner in crime for all they know. Does it matter?"

I shrugged. "I guess not."

He pulled back to look at me, and my heart hammered at his sincere gaze. "I'll be real, Rebecca. I've never been this patient before, but that's because you're worth the wait." My breath caught in my throat when he pecked me on the lips. "I love you, y'know."

Shock paralysed me and prevented me from swallowing, but I couldn't look away from his piercing eyes. I knew Kayden felt strongly about me, and at first, it was off-putting since it seemed to be for only one thing, but the more time I spent with him, the more I came to realise it was more than the sexual stuff. But still... love?

"Why? Why me?"

Kayden breathed out a laugh. "What kind of question is that?" He sucked on my neck, and I squirmed as his hands trailed to my breast and squeezed. "Because you're you." He tweaked my nipple, and I bit my lip. "You can't help who you love," he reasoned.

"Good point," I muttered. "I don't think my feelings are that deep."

"That's fine," he whispered. "You liking me is enough." Kayden shifted on the bed and settled between my legs. I watched him with adoration but also apprehension. Nothing good ever came from us being in this position, and although I craved him desperately, I didn't want lust to get in the way of such an important conversation.

"Not today," I said, sounding breathless.

Kayden's smile was heartfelt. "You trust me?"

The question caught me off guard, but I nodded straight away.

"Then let's do this." He lowered his head to peck me on the lips. "Say yes." I was about to respond but he shook his head, halting me. "Not now, but when you feel comfortable." Kayden rested his forehead against mine. "I won't rush you. But at least we're on the same page. So, when the time's right, just call or text me and I'll know."

I released a heavy sigh. "Okay."

"Okay," he repeated with a smile. Then he kissed me soft and deep, and I shut my eyes, allowing myself to be captivated by him again. His tongue worked its way into my mouth, and I moaned when it slid along mine before sucking on my bottom lip.

Just like that, I was turned on.

What should have been a peck turned into a long, passionate kiss. I looped my arms around his neck and pulled him closer, sighing into his mouth when his hands trailed down my sides, curling around my bum and dragging me against his growing erection. My thighs widened and I ground my hips against him, loving his hardness stroking my throbbing centre. I wanted him so much that I was slowly losing my sanity. The longer we waited, the more feral I would become.

Kayden broke the kiss and shifted to my neck, laying gentle kisses on my throat. "You said not today," he muttered, "but I can feel how wet you are."

"I'm not," I lied, still grinding my hips.

He hummed against my neck before kissing my chin. "You're so wet I could probably slide it right in."

I gulped at the brazen words. The last thing I needed right now was for him to initiate sex; desire addled my brain so much that I would agree to anything. And I wouldn't give a fuck about the consequences.

"Do you want that?" he asked, lifting my hips over the hard lump in his joggers. I groaned and he sucked on my neck. "Should I fuck you, Ree?"

I gasped at such a direct question. I opened my eyes to peer at him. He was so handsome, so patient, so ready to make me his. Once I agreed, that would be it. There would be no more toeing the edge, no more wavering doubt—he would own my heart and soul. I never thought I'd admit that for any guy, but here I was, writhing against Kayden's crotch while he whispered sweet promises in my ear.

"Yes," I whispered.

Kayden sighed and kissed me, his large hands leaving my backside to massage my breasts.

"You got condoms?" he asked.

I licked my lips at his firm grip. His dick was a spear unknowingly jabbing my entrance. I ran my fingers over his soft hair, which had been pulled into neat cornrows. I shook my head.

He rested his forehead against mine and shut his eyes. "Shit."

"I know," I muttered. It was silly of me to not stock up, considering how heated we always got.

Kayden's eyes opened again. We watched each other for a solid 10 seconds, conversing with our eyes, weighing our options. If we went ahead with this, I probably wouldn't have any regrets. I'd been waiting for this moment for weeks, and it was finally happening.

A vibration jolted on my thigh. Kayden cursed to himself and sat back on his knees to pull his phone from his pocket. My eyes drifted to the bulge in his joggers, and I swallowed the lump in my throat. What if I were to stroke it, let it loose? Would he take me anyway?

"I need to go," Kayden muttered, tucking his phone away.

I frowned. "What's wrong?"

He shook his head. "Need to see my uncle Ryan."

"You can't stay a bit longer?"

Kayden's smile was gentle, as if amused by my weak attempt to make him stay. He stroked my cheek with a warm hand. "I should've been there by now."

I couldn't shake the disappointment that washed over me. It wasn't long ago when Kayden and I spent all our free time together, but lately, he's been too busy, only showing up once a week (if that) and spending a couple of hours before leaving again. I missed the time we used to spend.

How selfish was I to feel annoyed and jealous by Kayden's family duties? I should rejoice that we'd been interrupted, but my body desperately craved him, skewing my rationality.

"Okay," I sighed in defeat.

He leaned forward to kiss my forehead and rose from the bed, adjusting his joggers. I smiled at the erection that just wouldn't go down.

"You free tomorrow?" he asked.

"I should be."

"Come through. I'll be about."

I nodded once. "Okay."

He gave me one last kiss and left.

I collapsed back on the bed, frustrated and wet. The meeting was short but eventful. Now Kayden and I were on the same page and the ball was in my court. He claimed to love me and said I could take all the time I needed. Nothing would change. We'd still be the same. No need to change our title. He would be my partner, my person.

I should just go for it and see what happens ... right?

Kayden

I stopped at another red light and gripped the steering wheel. I hated lying to Ree, but some lies were necessary to protect the ones you love. Besides, no good would come of her knowing the shit I got up to in my spare time.

This was the only way I could ensure her safety.

Not even 40 minutes later, I parked up and left the car, not even bothering the lock it. I didn't plan on staying long.

I entered through the open double doors and slammed them shut behind me. The evening chill filled the space and dust particles made the air heavier than normal. I caught the shadowed figures and approached them, my hands clasped into fists.

"Yo Tempz," Dapz said.

"Where you been, fam?" TJ asked.

Christian appeared from the other room and matched my steps. "What's the plan, bro?"

I ignored everyone; I was too focused on the motherfucker hanging from the ceiling by the rope knotted around his wrists. His agonised expression did little to quell my anger. My resentment. My hatred. All week I've watched him suffer, toyed with his mortality, threatened everything he knew and loved. But it still wasn't enough. Not until I saw him take his last breath.

I pulled the abandoned chair closer and took a seat backward, my arms hanging over the backrest. Then I watched his listless body swinging back and forth. His face was a contorted mess; busted lip, swollen eye, dried blood on his temple, and the satisfying gash across his cheek from my knife the other day.

"Where's Dwane?" I asked Chris, who stood patiently by the wall.

"Other room."

"Go get him."

Chris pushed away from the wall and left the room. Silence stilled the space as I watched him come to, his lids fluttering as he regained consciousness. He took a panicked gasp; his bleary eyes scanning his surroundings. Then his shoulders slumped, as if remembering his predicament, and he brought his head up to scowl at me—swollen eye and all.

"Nice sleep?" I asked.

He kissed his teeth and spat blood from his mouth, hanging his head again.

No response.

Footsteps padded into the room.

"You good, Tempz?" Dwane asked.

"Lighter," I drawled, my eyes never leaving my target.

I saw Dwane fish out his signature green Zippo lighter in my peripheral and throw it. I caught it and flipped the lid open, mindlessly rolling my thumb over the flint wheel and igniting a spark that quickly bloomed into a flame. His bloodshot eyes trailed back to me. I stared him down as I retrieved the zoot from my pocket and lit it up, taking a couple draws and exhaling long and deep.

"You smoke, Leon?"

His lips pressed together in a thin line. He shook his head.

I rose from the chair and approached his hanging body. Leon's brows furrowed when I pulled it from my mouth and brought it to his. Leon's eyes flicked from the zoot to me.

"Take a pull, man."

"I'm good," he croaked.

I held it closer to his lips and used Dwane's lighter to spark it again. "I'm not fucking asking."

His glare lingered for a moment before he accepted the zoot and inhaled. It was short and abrupt; his lungs quickly gave up. He sputtered and shook his head.

"Good," I said, taking a step back. "Enjoy it. You never know when it'll be your last."

"Fuck man," he wheezed, spitting out phlegm. "Just fucking do it, man."

I raised a brow in question.

"Just kill me." He sneered. "That's why I'm here, init?"

I smirked and pocketed the lighter. "What gave it away?"

Leon looked to Dwane and Chris, who had edged closer, then glanced at Dapz and TJ entering the room to stand behind me. All eyes were on him, but he didn't bulk under the scrutiny. Leon's attitude had fluctuated over the 10 days he'd been here. He'd shifted from denial to anger quickly, which earned him a baseball bat to the face. Then he tried to bargain, and it was a struggle to not kill him. Now he settled on acceptance.

"I'm not new to this," he said with a harsh cough. "Just tell me what I fucking did."

I chuckled. That was rich.

"The thing is, Leon," I muttered, bringing the zoot to my lips and inhaling. I blew the smoke out and sighed before dashing it away. "You must've really fucked up if you don't know." I paced to the stainless-steel table by the wall where various tools lay and picked up the chrome knuckle duster. I slid it over the already-worn knuckles of my right hand and strolled back to him. "Why don't you take a guess?"

Leon laughed humourlessly and flashed a shit-eating grin. "No hints, nah?"

I cuffed him hard in the face. Leon's head snapped to the side from the impact, blood and spit spraying on the floor. He hung his head with a groan, blood dripping from his mouth.

"No hints," I said. I flexed my knuckles and rolled my shoulders. "Three guesses. Go."

Leon coughed and spat once more. He looked up and I smiled at the tattered flesh of his cheek where the duster cut into his skin.

"The fraud ting?" he asked, sounding weary now.

I punched him again. Same cheek. Same force. Leon gagged and cursed under his breath. His anguish was worth the ache in my hand.

"Try again," I instructed.

He shook his head, a mixture of blood and saliva oozing from his lips. "Fuck."

"We're waiting."

"I-I dunno, I..." he coughed up blood and groaned. "I owe a lot of people money, man."

Something in my jaw ticked. My patience was wearing thin.

"Not money," I muttered, leaning closer to get a good look at his face. "Think."

His brows pinched together. "I don't..." then his eyes widened in realisation, and he slowly looked at me. I saw everything in his gaze: confusion, dread, apprehension, animosity—but no regret. Not even an ounce. "Rebecca," he whispered.

I jabbed him hard in the gut and he doubled over with a wail. Twisting the brass knuckle into his stomach, I leaned close to his ear. "That's right."

"Fuckin' hell," he gritted out, hacking up more blood. Then his body drooped as he fell unconscious.

I shook the tension from my fist and turned to Dapz. "Get some water."

He nodded and left the room. I faced Leon again; Rebecca's ex and abuser. Blood marred his face and his unconscious body swivelled from the rope. His hands had changed colour from the lack of blood, and his clothes reeked of sweat.

Christian cleared his throat, breaking the silence. "What's the water for?"

"Wake him up," Dwane answered for me. "This fucker's slept enough."

I sat on the chair again and rested my elbows on my knees, watching him. He could potentially die from the significant blood loss, but that wouldn't be ideal. No, I wanted to be the one to end his life; snuff out the dimmed light in his eyes, steal his last breath and watch him crumble.

And I would.

I was in control.

Time passed, and it was coming up to midnight. All the mandem had left except for Chris. He claimed he would stick around so I didn't do anything reckless. Couldn't imagine why.

I took the last draw of my zoot and flicked it aside. It was my last one, leaving me with no other measures to calm myself. Not that it did the trick, anyway. Usually, weed soothed my body and mind, catapulted me into a state of bliss. But it couldn't calm my seething rage. It wouldn't dull the malignance unfurling in my gut. I wasn't a saint, and I didn't deserve redemption, but I could at least rid the world of harmful pricks like Leon.

My phone vibrated. I fished it from my pocket and smiled at the text message from Ree.

Yes x

Crazy how such a small, simple word could signify so much. Rebecca had agreed to be mine. Nothing else mattered anymore.

"Please," Leon murmured.

My eyes flickered to his battered body. I couldn't distinguish his features anymore. Gashes mangled Leon's face, and his legs no longer had the energy to stand. He'd practically begged to use the bathroom, but I ignored him, and the shameless prick pissed himself. I wished Ree could see the humiliation on his face, his weak attempts to reason with me, his pathetic pleas. It still wasn't a fair trade, though.

"Listen," he began, "man's sorry, init. Tell her I'm sorry."

I cocked my head to Christian. "You hear that, Chris? He's sorry."

Christian remained by the wall with his arms folded. He simply shook his head, already knowing where this would go.

"She put me in hospital, man," Leon seethed. "She fucking provoked me. I wanted her to suffer–" he paused when I stood from the chair. "B-But I didn't mean to go that far. I swear, man." I approached him and he shook his head. "I swear."

I analysed him for a moment. Leon was visibly uncomfortable under my glare, and his body shuddered with trepidation.

"Beg."

Leon swallowed thickly. "Please. Please, man. I beg you, let me go. It won't happen again."

I smiled. "Won't happen again, yeah?" I looked at Chris. "What you think, Chris? We believe him?"

Christian slowly shook his head. Whether it was an actual answer or sheer disbelief was unclear, but it was enough to satisfy me.

Fishing Dwane's lighter from my pocket again, I flicked open the lid and scraped my thumb along the wheel, causing a fleeting spark. I turned it over in my hands, analysing the small, yet dangerous device. We used to tease Dwane for his Zippo lighter collection, but he made a good point that these brands stay lit once you've turned the wheel, making it an endless flame.

"Did you let Rebecca go when she begged you?" I asked quietly.

Leon remained silent, his lips a thin line.

I gripped his neck and squeezed. "Did you?"

Leon sputtered and shook his head in panic, wheezing breaths barely escaping his throat.

I squeezed harder. "Then why the fuck should I?"

Leon found strength in his legs and pulled backwards, trying to escape my grasp. My hands gripped his throat harder, and I watched as his panting breaths died down and his eyes rolled back as he lost air.

"Tempz," Chris warned.

I let go.

Leon doubled over and coughed, ingesting large bursts of air.

"You weren't wrong before," I said, rolling the lighter between my fingers as I circled his frail body. "I hear you fucked with Marik's stash. Stole his p."

He didn't speak. Saliva spilt from his mouth.

"So, I'll do him a favour," I said, standing before him again. "Kill two birds, so to speak."

Leon shook his head. "Please."

I glanced at Chris and he nodded, padding to the table full of tools and reaching underneath to grab the can. He handed it to me, and I swished the liquid inside.

"Wait outside, Chris."

Christian gave me a lingering look, but he sighed and left the room, shutting the door behind him.

I stared Leon down as I uncapped the fuel can. His eyes bugged.

"Yo, wait..." Leon sputtered when I sloshed the petrol on his face. He coughed and hissed as the liquid trickled into his eyes.

I circled him, dousing his entire body.

"You're fucked," he croaked, his eyes still shut tight. "You're so fucked, man!"

I smiled. It was the first genuine smile I managed over the past two weeks. "That makes two of us."

After emptying the fuel can, I threw it aside and stepped back to take him in. Leon was as battered and bruised as his ego. His badman act had dissipated, leaving behind a scared, feeble boy. Whittling him down to nothing was satisfying, but it still wasn't enough. He needed to know what true suffering was. This was just the appetiser.

Leon's eyes opened and he grit his teeth, his anger flaring. "Fuck you! You think you're gettin' away with this?"

"I don't give a fuck what happens to me," I said. I slipped the white cloth from my back pocket and stepped closer to him. "After this, my job is done." I stuffed the cloth in Leon's mouth as he thrashed around. "You believe in God, Leon?"

He froze and stared at me, tears lining his eyes. He nodded.

I tapped his cheek. "Better say a quick prayer."

I stepped back and grabbed the Zippo lighter from my pocket. Flicked it open. Watched the small blue flame spark to life.

Leon hung his head one last time. He admitted defeat.

With the neon flame illuminating the dimly lit room, I took one last look at him.

Then I dropped the lighter.

It clattered to the floor, and the tiny flame instantly erupted, catching the trail of petrol on the ground and spreading rapidly towards Leon's hanging body. His eyes were closed as if he were truly praying, then a deep, guttural howl left his throat as the first lick of flame made contact.

The fire was ravenous, heating the room swiftly and misting the air.

I took a few steps back, never taking my eyes off the spectacle.

The heat was palpable. The sight was horrific. The screams, piercing.

It wasn't long before the raucous blaze spread to the rest of the room, scorching the furniture and burning the walls.

Eventually, the screaming stopped.

But by then I'd already left.

Angry yellow flames lit up the sky, eating away at the building, which splintered and caved in on itself. Glass shattered and small embers floated in the sky as the heat of the inferno stifled the air.

Chris huffed from the passenger seat. "We done here?"

I couldn't look away from the burning building. We were in my car a good distance away, but I could hear the hiss of the fire, smell the melting structure, feel the white-hot heat.

Finally, I looked away and faced the dark road ahead. "Yeah."

We drove off.

???

"What kind of favour?" he asked, the cigarette hanging from his lips.

I folded one leg over the other and looked him in the eye. If he was anything like the rumours said, he was big on returning the respect that was given to him, and that started with confidence and eye contact.

"I heard you can make people go away," I declared.

He chuckled. "This ain't the fuckin' mafia, luv."

I frowned. He could've fooled me with the number of men that were sitting in the living room a moment ago. They'd all left when he gave them a nod, leaving wads of cash on the table. Clearly, he ran a tight ship, and business was booming.

I leaned in, ignoring the intense smell of smoke. "How much to take someone off the grid?"

He whistled. "That's a big ask, darlin'." He took a pull of his cigarette and stared me down. Still, I upheld eye contact. He smirked. "You know that doesn't come cheap."

"How much?" I asked again. "Three? Four?"

"Bills?" He huffed. "That's cute." He leaned forward to flick the cigarette in the ashtray. "This is serious, y'kna."

"I know."

"Then fucking act like it." He popped the cig back in his mouth. "Give me a profile."

I frowned. Should've expected that.

"Female, seventeen, lives in south. Brixton, I think."

"What'd she do?"

What a question. What didn't she do besides meddle in my life? She fucked with the wrong person.

"She wronged me," I said.

He nodded and blew more smoke, this time out of his flared nostrils. "Typical revenge, yeah? I like your style."

"So how much?"

"For you?" He smiled. "Ten gs."

I swallowed hard, careful to not react in a way that he wouldn't like. I didn't expect such a hefty price, but I guess this wasn't a small ask.

"How will you do it?" I asked out of curiosity.

He chuckled, his crooked smile more threatening than anything. "The less you know, the better." He grabbed his phone from the table, tapping around on it as if distracted. "I'll need a deposit by next week. Once it's done, you pay the rest."

I nodded. "When will it be done?"

His dark eyes flicked up to me. "When I say so. What's the rush?"

"No rush. As long as I know it's in good hands."

A snicker slipped out. "You're fuckin' twisted. I like you."

I inwardly cringed.

He put his cigarette out and studied me for a moment. "You got a picture of her?"

I dug my phone from my pocket, found the picture I had saved in my camera roll, and slid the phone across the table. He caught it with a large hand and analysed the photo that I stole from her Facebook profile.

"Rah," he muttered, and I rolled my eyes. "You sure she's seventeen?"

"Yes."

He stared at the picture longer than necessary before looking at me. "She got a name?"

I nodded. "Rebecca Stellon. And I want her dead, Marik."

Weiterlesen

Das wird dir gefallen

123 10 7
"Never love a stranger, you may put your heart in danger."
2.1K 48 28
True to love there is always betrayal. Betrayal is to love as Boy is to Girl. Or in this case Vampire is to Woman. The Queens favorite has betraye...
1.7K 15 36
Elizabeth is determined to shape her life. She's strong and determined woman. She can conquer everything........but can she conquer love?
1.8K 54 11
A young man is in love with two beautiful women. One is his best friend who he knowns for years and the other is a mysterious woman who he sees aroun...