Her Dawning Empire: The Proph...

By ToTheExtreme95

How hard can it be to fulfil a prophecy? That is, while having to work with a chiselled, righteous soldier wh... More

Introduction
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Chapter 77
Chapter 78
Chapter 79
Chapter 80
Chapter 81
Chapter 82
Chapter 83
Chapter 84
Chapter 85
Chapter 86
Chapter 87
Chapter 88
Chapter 89
Epilogue

Chapter 42

412 52 24
By ToTheExtreme95

I placed the cup against the bedside table before going to the mirror at the end of the room. I brushed the wet strands of hair back again that kept making their way to my face. We had just finished eating, with Emut then going to have a shower also. I smiled as I thought of the reaction he had given when eating the fast food- a mix between confusion and appreciation. He had said it was very different to the food in Aaru, but not any less good.

"And how did you find the food?" I called out, looking in the mirror to see Demir lying on the bed behind me, arms behind his head. He shrugged his shoulders at this.

"What does it matter?" He asked and I rolled my eyes at his words as I picked up the bird necklace from the table and unclasped it.

"Forgive me for making small talk. I assumed I was talking to someone normal for a second." I muttered out sarcastically, distracted as I eyed the necklace. I heard him scoff before turning to gaze at his reflection as he lifted his head to look at me.

"No, Hanna, you assumed me as one to actually spare a thought about Earth and its food." He mused and I scowled at his words, putting the pendant around my neck and trying to clasp it.

"Careful, Demir. Your indifference towards everything could be your own undoing." I regarded him with a cold look, trying again to clasp the necklace and I watched as he huffed at my words.

"You speak as though anything, other than what I wish, will be my end. " He retorted and I let out a sigh, feeling the ache building in my arms.

"No, I speak as though I have a working brain which is more than I can say on your part." I taunted, but instead of replying, he stood up abruptly with an annoyed sigh.

"You really are good for nothing." He murmured to himself and before I could ask what he meant, he halted behind me and took the ends of the necklace out of my hands. I watched in shock as he tightened the necklace around my neck, his eyes looking to mine through the mirror. His hands were cold against my skin, sending a shiver up my spine as did the soft breaths he took as he fixed the arrangement of the pendant.

"Is this height fine?" He asked, his grey eyes piercing through mine. I nodded wordlessly at his words, feeling my cheeks heat up. He fixed the clasp on swiftly then before looking at it in the mirror. He kept his hands there as he looked at me, his hair falling into his eyes, making me take in an inhale of breath nervously.

"You know, you're as annoying as you are beautiful." He murmured, his voice feeling so close to my ear and then he was gone; walking back to the bed.

I felt my cheeks heat up at the compliment until I processed the last of his words, throwing the TV remote at him which he dodged with a smirk.

Emut chose then to make an entrance, looking to the two of us and the remote lodged in the plaster of the wall before turning to look at me and I smiled back sheepishly.

"Oops?"

*************

"How much more time?" I asked, to which the taxi driver turned to look at the rear view mirror.

"Just 2 more minutes." He said politely and I nodded, turning to gaze out the window.

I had lied.

I had told them I was just going to grab a drink from the vending machine. Of course, they had been against that too; Emut had forbidden it, seeing now that Anouke could very well be on Earth. I had responded with the fact that the vending machine was just a floor down and none of them knew how to use it. He had asked to accompany me then and I had argued back that, if I was the prophecy, I might as well do one thing alone. He had gone quiet at this, much to my relief.

I knew they were there to protect me, but this was something I had to do alone and I didn't like the sudden feel of being too helpless, as if I was incapable of doing anything myself. It was too much.

"We've arrived. I'll wait here" The taxi driver spoke and I uttered a small 'thanks' before handing him the amount of money on the meter. I had taken it from the table when they weren't looking as well as a few other things.

I exited the taxi slowly, shutting the door behind me and wrapping my arms around myself to rid myself of the cold. But, looking to the house in front of me, it made me feel warmer.

I walked up the steps and to the door before peaking into the window, smiling widely when I saw her form.

Sue.

She was sat around the table with her kids, eating breakfast and I felt a small tear streak down at the emotions that hit me when I saw her face. She was the person I would most miss when I left. I lifted my bag off my shoulders before opening it and taking out the small takeout bag. I placed it against the door, the gold inside glinting against the porch light.

I looked back to her inside with a shaky smile. She deserved this; more so than me. Sue had been my rock for as long as I could remember and, so, it was only her I thought of when thinking about what to do with the gold.

I wanted so bad to hug her then; to explain all that had happened, but I couldn't do that to her. She had, undoubtedly, been worried about me being absent and most likely seeing me now would cause another wave of emotion. Instead, I left a note saying I moved away with my biological family who had been searching for me. I knew she wouldn't take the gold from me so I had pleaded in the note about how much it would mean if she did.

I sucked in a small breath as I retreated back. Demir and Emut would realise I'm missing if I was gone too long. I looked to the taxi perched on the pavement before knocking on the door and hurrying to the vehicle.

I could see the door open as the car pulled away, but didn't dare look in the fear that she would see me. Instead, I sat back and rested my eyes for the 10 minutes ride.

It was only when the driver spoke that I realised I had arrived. I thanked him again before making my way out and to the motel room. The door opened with a resounding creak and I turned to see Emut stood by the dining table, looking to the wall and Demir sat on the bed, looking up to me.

"Did you get your drink?" Emut spoke and I looked to see he was still gazing at the wall, an unreadable expression on his face.

I internally cursed when I gazed down at my empty hands before smiling tightly.

"I guess, I was really thirsty. I drank it all by the machine." I answered warily, watching as Demir gave me a hard look, but chose to say nothing. I turned to gaze at Emut then who nodded at my words, a muscle ticking in his jaw.

"The one downstairs by the car park? Because you weren't at that one." He bit out, eying the wall as if it was more intriguing than the conversation.

I dropped the act then, my eyes narrowed at his words or, rather, his attitude.

"Oh, so now you're spying on me? I don't need a guard, Emut." I said with a sneer to which he turned to me, his hand banging against the table and I flinched as all 4 legs cracked under the force.

"Don't put this on me. I was worried, not spying. You lied, Hanna. You lied to us when we trusted you." He grit out, his eyes like the heat of the sun, making my blood pump faster through my body.

I recoiled at this, processing his words and I knew I was wrong. Had I asked to go to Sue's house, they would have said yes, without a doubt. I knew that trust was something that was really important to the group; it was valued more than it was on Earth and I had disregarded it.

I let out a small sigh, looking down as I spoke.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to lie. I just thought you wouldn't let me go, in fear of Anouke being around. But, there was something that I needed to do." I apologised, lifting my head to see Emut turn away.

"And what was that?" He asked and I explained the whole story of Sue while they both looked to me as I explained.

"If anyone has been like my mother, it's been Sue." I finished, watching as Emut sighed before raising his head to look at me. His eyes were calm now and I was relieved that he was back to the Emut that I was so familiar with.

"You could have told us, Hanna." He admonished and I nodded quickly before muttering out another sorry. Demir stood up at this, stretching his arms with a small smirk.

"Try as you might, Hanna, but you won't have me beat in the 'annoying Emut' department. That's my speciality." He joked to which Emut laughed, nudging him with his arm and I let out another sigh of relief that they both were fine.

"Worry not, Demir, if you lose that title, you'll always have the 'annoying Hanna' department down. I don't think you could ever lose that one." I teased to which he rolled his eyes before nudging past me and making his way to the door.

"I'll stand guard for any possible threats. You both rest now." He said and soon as he said the word 'rest', I felt the heaviness of my eyelids. He left and I turned to Emut.

"I really am sorry." I said with a small apologetic smile to which he smiled back, shaking his head.

"It's fine, you should rest." He said and I nodded at his words before making my way to the bed.

"Night." I yawned and I smiled as I heard him say it back in a confused manner.

That was the last thing I heard before falling into a deep sleep.

I opened my eyes slowly, letting out a gasp as I looked around. I was back in the bank hallways again and I shuddered as I looked into the bleak darkness once more.

"Emut? Demir?!" I called and my voice echoed across the hallway before coming back to me. I was met with silence, making the panic build.

I walked forward slowly then, looking for a source of light. The hallways looked as though they continued forever and I kept my gaze surveying from front to back in fear of what was lying within the darkness.

"Are you guys here?!" I called again, listening intently, but only the echo of my voice coming back was all I could hear. I let out a small whimper as I moved, my legs shaky.

"Please help." I muttered out, listening as it still resounded against the corridor walls before coming back to me. I stilled to an abrupt stop at this, my heart pumping loudly.

The voice that was carried back had definitely not been mine.

"Who- who is it?" I whispered meekly.

I looked into the direction it came with heavy breaths and when nothing else happened, I turned and ran in the other direction as fast as my shaky legs would carry me.

I heard the sound of tumbling footsteps as they followed me down the hallway and then the sound of the eerie whispers of my name.

"Leave me alone!" I screamed out over my shoulder yet this only made the footsteps faster and I let out a scared yelp before turning back and running. All I could see ahead was darkness and it began to consume until even I was a blur, making me trip over my own feet. I fell unceremoniously to the ground before turning around and pulling my arms around me instinctively. But, there was nothing there anymore; the corridors were empty. My breathing calmed at this as I surveyed my surroundings.

"Look. Hanna."

I let out a scream at the words hissed into my ear before I was pulled into the darkness.

"Hanna! Wake up!"

I shot up then, breathing heavily to Emut who was sat on the bed, his arms on my shoulders as he woke me.

"What happened?" He asked worriedly, surveying my face with warm eyes and I let out a small shaky sound, looking around hurriedly at my surroundings.

"We're in the room; Demir's outside, guarding." He soothed me and I sighed in relief when the room came into focus.

The dream- it had all felt so real. I could still feel the dark caress of the voice against my neck and I shuddered. Emut watched me intently.

"Emut." I uttered out unsteadily to which he ducked his head further to look in my eyes, his gaze thawing the ice away.

"It was just a dream, I'm here." He murmured, making me tremble again at the thought of the dream and I put my arms around him in an abrupt hug, in a bid to chase the dark cold away.

I could feel his body tense under my touch before he sighed, placing his arms around me. His hand rested on the back of my neck, making me forget about the dark whispers that touched there, but rather of the fuzzy heat of his touch. I could hear the thrumming of his heart as I lay on his chest and it calmed my own. I let out a deep exhale, listening to his gentle words.

"I won't let anything hurt you, Hanna. Not when I'm here." He murmured against my hair, tightening his hold on me as he continued.

"I'd lay my life down to make sure of that."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

14.7K 438 77
"Who are you exactly?!" I growled angrily. She tried to free herself from my grasp, but I pinned her to the wall. She glared at me angrily as she kep...
161K 4.2K 51
Rose Waterstone, daughter of the lead commander, is sent to the facility at the ripe age of seventeen. She was sent for the same reason as everyone e...
698 17 9
Leilani was ready to leave high school behind her, along with the annoying boy that she'd come to hate due to that one night. But little did she know...
5.8K 318 23
"Hey Princess." "Wh..at is your problem?! Why are y..you following me?!" "Are you scared of me?" he asked with a smirk on his face. "N..no I am no..t...