THE ROAD

By universe-45

What first comes in your mind when you hear or see the word 'road', a path or a way to cover or reach a certa... More

Preface
CHAPTER 1 -THE MAN
NEXT MORNING IN SCHOOL
NEXT DAY
THE OLD PHOTOGRAPHS
TRUE OR NOT TRUE
CHAPTER 3 - THE HUNTING
SHE IS WEIRD
CHAPTER 4 - THE UNSUNG TALE
THE AUTOBIOGRAPHY
TRUTH REVEALED
CHAPTER 5- 'Fons et origo'
IN THE DUNGEON
THERE WERE MORE LIKE US
CHAPTER 6 - REVIVED
CHAPTER 7 - WITCH'S MAGIC
THE BETRAYAL
CHAPTER 8
WOUNDED
CHAPTER 9 - THE LOSS
Stargazing
CHAPTER 10- PRAYER FOR PEACE
THE KEY
CHAPTER 11- TOWARDS THE END
THE FACE OFF AND THE LOSS
LIFE GOES ON

CHAPTER 2- THE MISSION

21 3 0
By universe-45

Everyone was ready to enjoy their summer holidays. Few were going to visit their relatives, few were interested to learn new things and some ready for their part-time jobs, but I decided to ascertain the truth. At breakfast, my mom told me that we were going to my aunt's house the other day. She lived in the city and I knew if we went, it would probably take the whole day and we would be back in the morning. Therefore, this was the moment I was waiting for, the moment when my family would be out and without any questions, concern, and disapproval of my family, I could easily go on my mission. But before that, I had to convince my mom to allow me to stay back. So, in the afternoon I went to her and asked her, 'Mom, I was searching for you for like 15 mins inside. Should I help you?'

'nope, what's the matter, you want something to eat? Then take it from the fridge. I made brownies.' She was surprised to hear me help her, as I hated gardening. She thought I needed something to eat in the middle of the day just after 20 minutes of having lunch.

' Thanks, mom, but I don't want anything to eat, ......Actually, I was saying, ...can I stay back while you all go to Aunt Julie's house?' I was nervous.

' Why? You're having holidays right?'

' Yeap mom... but I have to do homework.' Well, homework, yeah of course, -sarcastically- I don't think I could have a better excuse than this. Damn...

'homework?' she looked at me and laughed and added, 'Since, when did the school start giving you homework after completing up the semester?' yeah right. I am silly.

'Mom!? Please... I actually don't wanna go. They have mosquitoes. And no repellents and I just don't wanna go. I'll get bored. .....I'll take care of myself. I promise. After all, I am 17 now. I am a big girl.'

I didn't know why they take extra care of me. They never left me alone no matter what. I was in 9th grade and it was my cousin's wedding, and the next day I had my finals, they took me along risking my exams. The excuse they gave was you're our sweet little fairy and we can't leave you alone. Damn, parents don't do this.

' Yeap, my daughter is a big girl. And what's the demand of my big girl?'

' Ohh, daddy...I know you would understand. Actually, I wanna stay at home. I don't wanna go there.'

'Hmmm...I see...Okay, only if you promise you won't do any mischief and you can stay.' Dad's always at my rescue. Though I didn't believe he actually allowed me.

' Patrick? No...she's going with us.'

' Ohh come on mom..even dad has agreed now. Okay, no unnecessary going out and eating on time. I promise mom...(paused)...Thanks, mom ...thanks, dad...I love ya both.' I told them and ran towards my room before they could change their minds.'

' Patrick?'

'Relax sweetheart. She's a big girl now. She also needs some privacy and some home alone times'

' (laughing) like you used to do...Patrick.. Staying home and meeting me.

'Wait, she's having a boyfriend.'

'( giggling) I think no, and if she would having one she'll tell us. She's our daughter and she is smart enough to know what's wrong and what's right for her.'

' Yeah, you right.'

' On the upside, She knows, she'll obviously get bored between the grownups get together and her cousins are not at home.'

So, the next day everybody rode to my aunt's house in the city and after wishing a happy journey to my family, I had my breakfast and I even did some cleaning. So, now I knew it was the time to execute my plan. I decided to implement it in the afternoon as hot summer days of June were started and there would be no one around, no children in the playground, no people on the roads as some would be at work and others chilling, and this was the only time when nobody roamed on streets and not even near the school. This was the perfect time to give a start to my mission. I packed my bag kept eatables, a water bottle, rope, a knife for protection, and other stuff I might need beyond that captive place. Before leaving, I checked every door and window of the house for safety, and closed them properly, and locked the house carefully. I took thorough care not to be seen by anyone. I reached near the big haunted gate of the road and I found the door locked. I wondered where that old man came from.

I searched for another way and found the wires near the boundary of the gate damaged so I went in through that way. I followed the road and found dense trees on sides, there was greenery, a beautifully marbled path,  and the place was mesmerizing. I was a bit nervous but resolute. You see, teenage is that period of life in which one is reluctant to listen to advice, wants to be free from restrictions and other barriers. I wondered what's with this road, I hardly saw anything that could harm someone.

Well, then I realized I covered a lot of distance now I needed some food. I searched for a place to sit, I was continuously walking for 2 hours and I needed rest. I saw a banyan tree beside the road and I sat under the tree and ate, had water, and rested, and eventually, I fell asleep. I started this journey at two in the afternoon and walked like there's no stoppage. Then all of a sudden, I woke up and realized I slept as if I haven't slept in years. I looked at my watch and it was 6 pm but there it seemed like afternoon. I said to myself, 'It's 6'oclock in the evening and here it seems like afternoon. Damn, m' I dreaming or what?' and I heard a voice there replying to me, at first I thought it was the tree like the talking tree in fairytale books.

The voice said, 'actually no, you are not dreaming, its 6 but not exactly'

' wait! Did I hear someone?' I said and added, 'is it the tree?'

'no, you actually did hear me. Sorry, if I wasn't supposed to give an opinion.' A girl jumped from the top of the tree, I was sitting under. 'heck, you are supposed to give your opinion but are not supposed to jump like this and scare the hell outta anybody.' I shouted.

' I am sorry; I never came across a human in recent years.' The girl said. She was tall, beautiful, white but suspicious and weirdly dressed. I was about to ask her about the clothes she was wearing but then I recalled what she said and I asked, 'oh, no problem. But wait, never came across a human before? What does that suppose to mean?' I was confused and a bit reluctant, as she was different.

She said, 'let's walk and talk girl. Come on, now get up.' Then I asked her where we were going and she replied with a wicked smile, 'don't you wanna further explore this place?'

' yeah, I'd love to. However, aren't we suppose to not cross that big metal door. Or wait you're just as curious as I am about this place, about this road. Are you?' I asked.

' yeah, I am. Let's go. Let's just explore some more.'

I asked her if that was the right way, as I felt we were heading somewhere else but she didn't reply and after a while when I stopped she asked me to move fast and told me she came here before. Well, I was not able to understand her personality, as per me I easily understand people by their look, the way they talked and here even the look was deceptive. I just said, 'okay, your highness, I'll follow your lead then.'

'what was that gesture?' she asked me.

' yeah, that's what I can ask you, what's that dress?

I mean, look at yourself, you are actually dressed up in that red velvet ankle-length gown, that elegant pearl jewelry, and those shoes,' I paused and then added, 'actually they are not shoes, they are....... belle' at, only royals wore it and that to years back. You are the spitting image of the royals of the '60s and the ..."

She looked like a girl from the 1960s or '70s. She wore a gown as my ancestors did and belle' ats, they were handmade, platform heels, beautifully embroidered cloth shoes below the ankle. On the upside, even her hair was styled in curls and a side bun was made with a beautiful tiara around it.

I further told her you look like "the descendants of the town"

'"the Laurants"! Assuming you know a lot about the royals, don't you?' she commented.

'umm... Um... Yeah... coz I am Eabha, as we didn't introduce ourselves at first, I am Eabha Atieall Laurant.' I introduced myself. She then stopped and turned towards me, raised her head and eyes, and looked at me and said elegantly, 'I am Stephanie, she paused and then added, 'here ends your exploring session.'

I looked around and saw the gate from where I came in. I was furious and said, 'wait, where? .. what? It's the door from where I entered. No, no exploring ended here, you weren't supposed to take me back here, I wanted to see this place and without knowing I am not going out.'

' you aren't supposed to come here.' She was polite.

'and so are you, if I can't be here, I am not letting you be here as well. I am gonna complain to the authorities.' I tried to take her along and pulled her with all my strength but I was unable to. She was really strong. I was suspicious. I told her that she was cold and hard to pull. She just looked at me and said nothing. Then I heard a noise from the bushes it seemed like someone was running with all his speed blowing up the bushes. I thought it might be the flock of sheep running towards our side or might be a big wild animal.

'they are here.. No... They can't find it.' Stephanie said. I looked at her, she looked worried, so I asked her, ' who is here? See, lemme make myself clear nobody is supposed to be here.'

' Yeah, nobody is. Now go fast move outta here. She claimed seriously and then shouted, 'they are near, I said go.'

I was stubborn as a teenager so I said in loud voice too, 'no matter how loud you're I am not going out. You hear me 'I am not leaving.'

'you should not I guess.' A man came out of the bushes. He was too dressed like the '70s. I mean like royal men did in winters, a long overcoat, and perfectly gelled hair. He introduced himself, 'I am Drake, Drake Ramirez.'

'A human...' a woman said while coming out of bushes.

'I am Nelie.' The girl said. She wasn't dressed like Stephanie, she wore a shaggy all over, a jumper. I totally lost at that moment; I was like, 'what on earth is this happening? Hey you two and three (pointing out Stephanie, Drake, and Nelie) all three listen up, you aren't supposed to barge in here, it was just my treasure hunt mission and you miss tattered clothes (pointing Nelie) we all are humans.' I said in a frustrated voice.

She laughed and said, 'childish, my dear Steph you didn't tell her what are we? And why on earth we aren't supposed to be here....or she's gonna let us out.'

Stephanie looked at me and requested, 'Eabha, please understand, run fast and leave.' I pretended I didn't hear her and I looked at Drake and Nelie and I was stunned to see them, I couldn't believe my eyes. Their eyes turned red and they had fangs and I realized they were about to attack. But Stephanie came to rescue she pushed me behind and I fell near the gate on the ground, for a while I wasn't able to figure what just happened, all this happened within seconds. She turned towards me with her fangs out and red ferocious eyes with a loud angry tone she said, ' I said get outta here, now!'

I ran as fast as possible and went out through the way I had entered, and not looking back and stopped just in front of my house, ran inside locked the door and went straight in the bed.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

569 59 19
In our world, there are two forces. One of darkness, and one of light. The forces of darkness dwell underground, in large caverns and ravines. The in...
1.4K 263 55
Undead horrors, powerful creatures and people with freakish abilities. When children are kidnapped from a young woman's community, her telekinetic po...
134 27 20
What is more unfair than having to choose between being a monster or being a hero?! (_When you have to be both) When you learn that the road to hell...
1.3K 246 15
You find yourself neglected as a human citizen of the world. No one likes to talk to you and often turn away under the excuse of being an abnormal w...