CHAPTER 2- THE MISSION

Everyone was ready to enjoy their summer holidays. Few were going to visit their relatives, few were interested to learn new things and some ready for their part-time jobs, but I decided to ascertain the truth. At breakfast, my mom told me that we were going to my aunt's house the other day. She lived in the city and I knew if we went, it would probably take the whole day and we would be back in the morning. Therefore, this was the moment I was waiting for, the moment when my family would be out and without any questions, concern, and disapproval of my family, I could easily go on my mission. But before that, I had to convince my mom to allow me to stay back. So, in the afternoon I went to her and asked her, 'Mom, I was searching for you for like 15 mins inside. Should I help you?'

'nope, what's the matter, you want something to eat? Then take it from the fridge. I made brownies.' She was surprised to hear me help her, as I hated gardening. She thought I needed something to eat in the middle of the day just after 20 minutes of having lunch.

' Thanks, mom, but I don't want anything to eat, ......Actually, I was saying, ...can I stay back while you all go to Aunt Julie's house?' I was nervous.

' Why? You're having holidays right?'

' Yeap mom... but I have to do homework.' Well, homework, yeah of course, -sarcastically- I don't think I could have a better excuse than this. Damn...

'homework?' she looked at me and laughed and added, 'Since, when did the school start giving you homework after completing up the semester?' yeah right. I am silly.

'Mom!? Please... I actually don't wanna go. They have mosquitoes. And no repellents and I just don't wanna go. I'll get bored. .....I'll take care of myself. I promise. After all, I am 17 now. I am a big girl.'

I didn't know why they take extra care of me. They never left me alone no matter what. I was in 9th grade and it was my cousin's wedding, and the next day I had my finals, they took me along risking my exams. The excuse they gave was you're our sweet little fairy and we can't leave you alone. Damn, parents don't do this.

' Yeap, my daughter is a big girl. And what's the demand of my big girl?'

' Ohh, daddy...I know you would understand. Actually, I wanna stay at home. I don't wanna go there.'

'Hmmm...I see...Okay, only if you promise you won't do any mischief and you can stay.' Dad's always at my rescue. Though I didn't believe he actually allowed me.

' Patrick? No...she's going with us.'

' Ohh come on mom..even dad has agreed now. Okay, no unnecessary going out and eating on time. I promise mom...(paused)...Thanks, mom ...thanks, dad...I love ya both.' I told them and ran towards my room before they could change their minds.'

' Patrick?'

'Relax sweetheart. She's a big girl now. She also needs some privacy and some home alone times'

' (laughing) like you used to do...Patrick.. Staying home and meeting me.

'Wait, she's having a boyfriend.'

'( giggling) I think no, and if she would having one she'll tell us. She's our daughter and she is smart enough to know what's wrong and what's right for her.'

' Yeah, you right.'

' On the upside, She knows, she'll obviously get bored between the grownups get together and her cousins are not at home.'

So, the next day everybody rode to my aunt's house in the city and after wishing a happy journey to my family, I had my breakfast and I even did some cleaning. So, now I knew it was the time to execute my plan. I decided to implement it in the afternoon as hot summer days of June were started and there would be no one around, no children in the playground, no people on the roads as some would be at work and others chilling, and this was the only time when nobody roamed on streets and not even near the school. This was the perfect time to give a start to my mission. I packed my bag kept eatables, a water bottle, rope, a knife for protection, and other stuff I might need beyond that captive place. Before leaving, I checked every door and window of the house for safety, and closed them properly, and locked the house carefully. I took thorough care not to be seen by anyone. I reached near the big haunted gate of the road and I found the door locked. I wondered where that old man came from.