Faithless Memories

By chaosmoon75

"Can you really not remember your name? If that's the case, why don't I give you one for now?" Zack found a g... More

Stranger in Our Midst
Recovery
Encounter in the Woods
Part of the Family
Confronting the Future
Locked Memories
Training
Heartbreaking Decisions
Breaking the News
Setting Out
The Adventures of Traveling
Crossing the Ocean
Making it to Midgar
Settling In
Tryouts
Coming of Age
Becoming a Soldier
Why Purple?
To Sector Five
Celebration
Challenge?
Spar
Unexpected Offer
Agreement
First Date - Sort Of
Join Shinra?
Job Offer
Invite
Weighing the Options
Surprise Lunch
Time to Decide
New Friends
Finally, A Real Date
Truce
Male Pride
New Job
Classroom
First Kiss
Worries
What Had Been Hidden
A Brother's Defense
Appreciative Gift
Brighter Than the Stars
End of Summer
Injury
Together Yet Apart
Tell Her Something
Letting Go
What Was Lost...
...Now Is Found
Man or Monster
A Hint to the Past
A Decision Made
Changes
Unbury the Past
Even Angels Have Their Demons
Facing the Facts
Unraveled
Cold Hard Truth
Murdered
Next Steps
Despite the Uncertainty
Healing Genesis
Aftereffects
Happy News?
Still Work to be Done
Back to Midgar
Unexpected Addition
To Junon
Examination
Face From the Past
Meeting the In-Laws
Stop in Gongaga
Into Nibelheim
The Devil Within
Enter the Gunman
Captured
Still Under the Influence
Up Mount Nibel
Into the Reactor
Facing the Beast
By the Skin of Our Teeth
Impossible Choices
Revelations of a Madman
Breaking the News
Home Again
Awake
Home is Where the Heart Is

Time to Decide

47 4 0
By chaosmoon75

Chapter 84

The next morning, Sephiroth was the first to go check on Kris. He was unsurprised to find both of the other men still in the room. Zack had fallen asleep in the chair next to his sister with his head pillowed on his arms at the foot of the bed. Genesis was up and pacing. His head shot up at the sound of the door opening, but he quickly turned to keep going when he saw who it was.

Sephiroth didn't need to ask anything since Genesis spoke up before he could. "There has been no change. We've made sure she got the tea down, and she has been peaceful, but hasn't woken."

The General didn't say anything at first. Instead, he stopped Genesis with a hand on his shoulder. "Did you get any rest? It won't do anyone any good if you are down as well."

Genesis scoffed at the idea of falling for any reason, but he took a moment before he responded. His voice was quiet. "Zachary convinced me to at least lay my head down for a few hours. He just went to sleep himself a little over an hour ago."

As though the sound of his name was an alarm, Zack sat up and blinked back the sleep. He didn't even turn to see what had wakened him before he was bending over Kris to check on her. Though, he did stand and turned when Genesis called out. "She is still resting peacefully." Zack gave him a frown, but it turned into a sigh when he saw Sephiroth as well.

Now that both men were up, Sephiroth felt the question they were all wondering could be addressed. "Have you decided what needs to be done?"

Zack sighed, and Genesis ran a hand down his face before he answered. "We are going back to Midgar."

Sephiroth gave him an understanding look, though he did still have a question. "I am not surprised by that choice, but are you sure? We might be able to make the things here work."

Zach's eyes hardened as he answered. "We both talked about it a lot last night, and we came to the same conclusion."

Genesis smoothly took over at that point. "Yes, we do not doubt the midwife's capability or her knowledge of what mako exposure can do. However, there are a few things that she didn't know. First, Kristobel is no ordinary woman, and her issues are not due to mako. She has proven many times now that her constitution is hardier than we could believe. Secondly, our child is a mix of both of us: my genes and hers. As much as I hate to think about it, the fact that our child will be born enhanced is unavoidable. However, that also means it is doubtful that things would go wrong so easily."

Sephiroth's look turned contemplative for a few moments. He then gave them both a nod. "I understand. I will say that it would be best for us all to be prepared for the worst, but your hope is not unfounded."

Both the other men gave him glares, but Genesis' next words were for Zack. "Stay here in case she wakes. I will go speak to Rufus so that we may leave."

Zack's brows drew down slightly. "Are you sure?"

Genesis wasn't exactly smiling, but his eyes also did not hold disdain when he looked back at the boy. "Yes. You are far from ready to handle a Shinra yet. I will make sure we leave before noon." Zack gave the Commander a salute before both the other men turned to walk out.

When they got downstairs, they heard several voices coming from the dining room. Neither of them were shocked to see all the Turks plus Rufus. Genesis didn't wait for their greetings before he spoke. "Good, with you all here, it should be a simple task to get started. It would be best if we could leave before noon."

Veld stepped forward with a frown, but Rufus ignored him and answered as though the Commander's actions were not rude. "I have already had Reno prep the helos. Something told me that would be your decision. Still, there are a few things we need to discuss before we leave."

Genesis wanted to growl at the level answer, but he managed to hold it back. Mostly due to the fact that the quicker he complied, the faster they would be in the air. Even so, his answer was less than polite. "What must be done?"

Rufus gestured toward the table. Genesis did growl lowly at that point but obeyed. Angeal had come in as well but didn't say anything as he sat at the far end of the table from Genesis. Once they were all in place, Rufus finally explained. "We have confirmed that the alien known as Jenova was here before she was destroyed. We have also confirmed that Vincent Valentine was indeed here in Nibelheim. Those are more than enough proof that we need to put a plan into place to deal with President Shinra before we leave."

Veld seemed to have developed a perpetual frown, but he still sounded the part of the cool Turk when he spoke. "I have operatives that I believe could handle this type of mission with discretion once you have a plan in place."

Rufus gave him a single nod. "That can be discussed further while we travel. The other item is more urgent to decide before we leave." He then looked around once, noting that Vincent had been leaning in a shadowed corner the whole time, but ignoring him before he continued. "The fact that Hojo was here is problematic. I believe we all agree that he needs to face charges along with Hollander, but we cannot take him back yet. Not until we have secured the city. My father is only one of several obstacles. I doubt that Heidegger and Scarlet will turn a blind eye to our efforts. We cannot be certain of Director Deusericus either."

There was a bit of grumbling at the mention of the other Directors, but Veld's gaze had turned hard. "Do not worry about them. I am sure that, given a choice, they would rather continue to serve you in good faith than the alternative."

Rufus took a moment before he nodded. "I trust that you understand the consequences of failure." He then turned back to the Soldiers. "Still, that is only part of the problem. Our most urgent concern is the fact that Hojo did not come here alone. We have seen no sign that he brought any infantrymen with him. However, those three teens are more than enough of a problem on their own."

"I recall Miss Fair stating there was a way Hojo was controlling them. First, we must figure out what that was, and then we need to locate them. We cannot assume they have stayed in the area, and they are too dangerous to roam alone."

Vincent stepped forward at that point. "There is a possibility that one of them was still in the reactor when it started falling apart. The boy I fought was unconscious when I left him. If he was, it is likely the other two stayed to try and rescue him. If not, then I have-" He cut off, and his jaw clenched, but his resolve seemed to firm when he looked back. "I have the means to track that boy. I am also the only one that can withstand his power. I will track them down."

Rufus nodded once. "That is a solid start, but I doubt it is something that you could accomplish alone." He then turned to Sephiroth. "It would be best if you could accompany him. You stand the highest chance of success, especially since Commander Hewley is unaware of what they look like, and Commander Rhapsodos is- Well, let's just say he is unavailable."

Genesis sneered at the tone the Vice-President used but didn't say anything. The man hadn't been wrong. Sephiroth's frown grew, but his voice was low when he answered. "I will agree that what you say makes sense. However, I have made a vow that I have every intention to keep. Jenova may have been destroyed, but I do not believe that Kris is out of danger yet."

Angeal got to his feet tentatively. He gave Genesis an unreadable look before he turned to Sephiroth. It was easy for them all to see that he was unsure how his input would be received. That didn't keep him from speaking. "Sephiroth, there are a few things you need to consider. First, you need to face Hojo as much as I had to make a decision about Hollander. It should up to you. Secondly, don't think that by helping here that you are abandoning your duty."

He paused for a moment and shot another look to Genesis. When his long-time friend still didn't say anything, he swallowed before he continued. "If Hojo really does have control of those teens, then we have to assume his orders still stand. They could very well come after Kris, so apprehending them should be a top priority, and in no way goes against your vow."

He then took a few steps toward Genesis. The red-head finally lost his frown when Angeal spoke next. His eyes were on Genesis, even though he was still talking to Sephiroth. "You also have to remember that Kris won't be unguarded. I have no doubt that both Genesis and Zack would give their lives to keep her unharmed. Plus, if you'll allow it, I would be honored to help protect her too."

Genesis moved to put a hand on Angeal's shoulder. His voice was tired and low, but his words were clear. "Do not blame yourself for what transpired. We all know who is to blame, and that being has paid the price. Put it behind you." He then patted his friend's shoulder once before he continued. "I would be honored to have you by my side. As it always has been, and always will be."

It took a moment for Angeal to respond. He still didn't look entirely convinced that Genesis was correct, but he did seem to have a weight lifted from his shoulders. He then turned back to face the General. "Don't forget, we're all in this together."

Sephiroth eyed both men for a few moments. His eyes were still troubled, but he gave them a nod before he turned to Rufus. "If we are to do this, then we need to start immediately. We have already lost too much time."

Rufus gestured his assent before both Vincent and Sephiroth turned to leave. The General only paused a moment in front of Genesis. "I have faith that you will get them both there safely."

Genesis' eyes flashed, but his voice was stronger than it had been. "Even if the morrow is barren of promises, nothing shall forestall my return. I have faith that we will see each other again soon enough with brighter tales to tell."

The side of Sephiroth's lips tilted up, but that was the last thing said before he followed the silent gunman out and down to where Hojo was being held.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

36K 756 15
Y/n L/n, a mercenary whose discovered some of his roots and allowed him to use amazing abilities. There seems to be more than meets the eye with him...
49.9K 727 22
Disclaimer: none of these pics/ drawing are mine unless I say so, I do not own any of the characters they are simply from final fantasy 7!! Warnings:...
2K 133 27
"You need to know that you are beautiful even now, and I don't care what your background is I just care about the moments we had shared together". Sh...
205 1 6
Angeal and Genesis's childhood friend is Laney. A supposedly normal girl with brown eyes and brown hair. She lost her mother when she was 10 and ever...